PDA

View Full Version : WTB: BMW 330Ci Convertible ZHP 6MT - $10k-15k

ecrabb
05-12-2015, 09:10 AM
Hi guys, I'm baaaaaack. I joined the forum and was around a lot for a year or so back in 2011. I searched pretty intensely that summer and came close to buying a couple of cars, but then started a new job with a startup and worked 60-80 hours a week for the next three years and had no life. I relocated to Utah last fall, made some changes, and I finally have a big garage and some money, so now I can buy a ZHP, and it won't have to be my DD.

It's beautiful here, so my taste has changed from coupe to vert. I really, really want a six-speed. Because race car. But, ZHP verts w/6MT are a pretty tough to find. They're rare enough that I expanded my search to M3's because even though most are SMG, there are probably just as many M3 6MT's as ZHP 6MT's. I've found a few cars I like, but most are Florida or northeast. I really don't want to buy a $10k car without seeing it and then spend $1500 to ship it to Utah.

Ultimately, the ZHP will be a nice-weather driver for my wife and me. It'll be a third car. I plan to keep it for a few years, then sell it to be a very clean, low-mileage, E46 M3. So, since my wife is going to also drive it, and we'll be driving it and parking it work, it doesn't have to be perfect. Just nice. A $12k 100k-mile car is probably right in my sweet spot, especially if I can fly to within a day's drive to take it home. So, California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada, Colorado, Arizona.

Favorite colors are Mystic Blue and Alpine White - especially with Natural Brown. Also love Sparkling Graphite. Love black leather, but I think it'll be a little hot out here in the sun in a vert, and least desirable is Gray Leather, but might make an exception for either to get Alpine White. Silver Gray or Titanium car is probably not an option because wife is sick of silver. I love Imola, but would no doubt lose my license before the summer was over driving a car that color. Yes, I have a speeding ticket problem. Not a speeding problem, a speeding ticket problem. ;)

Just posting because I haven't been too successful so far watching the usual channels, so wanted to some extra eyes on in case anybody ran into anything.

Thanks, guys!

Year(s):2001-2006
Budget:$10k-15k
Desired location of vehicle: Western US
Desired Mileage: 75k-125k
Transmission type: 6MT
Desired number of Doors: Convertible
Desired Color combos: Anything but Imola.
Desired Packages: ZHP, Premium, Cold weather
Funds lined up? Yes.
Have a car you need to sell first? No.

Cheers,
SC

danewilson77
05-12-2015, 09:28 AM
Welcome back :)

ecrabb
05-12-2015, 09:29 AM
Thanks, Dane. It's like I was never gone. ;)

SC

ecrabb
05-12-2015, 09:37 AM
Oh, and BTW... I just have to say... I'm not a member of any other BMW forum, but I did join a local enthusiast FB group when I moved last fall... It's fine, and they all seem like pretty nice guys, but it definitely doesn't have the homey feel of the mafia. So, nice to be back.

Cheers,
SC

fredo
05-12-2015, 09:56 AM
Welcome back, SC ! Hope you find a good ZHP 'vert out there.

Vas
05-18-2015, 10:44 AM
Have you seen this car?

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ctd/4980422191.html

ecrabb
05-18-2015, 10:53 AM
Yes, thank - I did run into that car at some point during my hours of internet stalking in the last week or two. Definitely a nice car. I really do love Mystic - top 2-3 color for me, but I absolutely hate the navy blue top. I'd also prefer leather over the cloth/alcantera. But, it could be a contender if the deal falls through on the other car (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?374-E46-BMW-330-ZHP-Buyers-Corner-Is-it-a-good-deal&p=435491#post435491) I'm looking at. I probably don't want to even think about what it would cost to put a black top on it, and there's probably zero resale value for the blue one, but I suppose it would be an option.

Cheers,
SC

Vas
05-18-2015, 10:57 AM
I think for the miles and the price, I could live with a blue top.

ecrabb
05-18-2015, 11:03 AM
I think for the miles and the price, I could live with a blue top.
Me too, but compare that to this one:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?&listingId=397908091

It's two years older, but 20,000 miles less. I love Mystic, but hate the blue top. I'm not as crazy about silver and grey, but like the black top and leather.

If I could find an Alpine White or Sparkling Graphite with a black top and Natural Brown, it would be in my garage already and we wouldn't be having this conversation. ;)

SC

COBMWs
05-18-2015, 04:20 PM
Know how you feel.

I just purchased a silver/black 'vert this past weekend.

I would have much preferred white, blue (any of them) or Imola, particularly with the natural brown interior.

But the condition of the one we found, combined with the local availability, clinched it for us.

chacend
05-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Gents, the first one in North Carolina is long gone. I missed because the salesman I was working with left the business while we were exchanging emails and by the time I realized it was sold.

I almost bought the second one in Louisianna but didn't because it wasn't quite what I wanted, seller seems like a very honest guy, I have better pics if you want so PM me.

ecrabb
05-19-2015, 11:59 AM
Gents, the first one in North Carolina is long gone. I missed because the salesman I was working with left the business while we were exchanging emails and by the time I realized it was sold.
Thanks for the heads-up. That one was on my short-list if this other one didn't pan out. Never mind!

I almost bought the second one in Louisianna but didn't because it wasn't quite what I wanted, seller seems like a very honest guy, I have better pics if you want so PM me.
Thanks for the offer. PM'd. He's not answering my emails now though, so I'm guessing somebody got in ahead of me over the weekend and there's a sale pending. Bummed if true.

Regards,
SC

BCS_ZHP
05-19-2015, 05:33 PM
Though it's gone already, alcantara seats in a vert are the cat's ass. Never get hot and your legs don't stick to the leather. My wife's former IR ZHP vert had alcantara, she's a tennis playing nut and never put the top up in the summer, never burnt her legs or stuck to the seats.

ecrabb
05-20-2015, 08:22 AM
Though it's gone already, alcantara seats in a vert are the cat's ass. Never get hot and your legs don't stick to the leather. My wife's former IR ZHP vert had alcantara, she's a tennis playing nut and never put the top up in the summer, never burnt her legs or stuck to the seats.

Great point, and ordinarily I'd be totally on board, but the family dog says otherwise. The dog would never be in the car, but my wife's DD Altima with black cloth interior has hair all over it that's transported via our clothes and shoes. I HATE it. The shit we do for our children.

In other news, I made contact with a seller, and if all goes well, I may be a ZHP owner in a week or two.

For those of you who have bought long-distance from a private party, does the process go about like this?

- Buyer FedExes cashier's check for earnest/deposit
- Seller takes car for PPI
- Buyer sends balance of purchase price via FedExed cashier's check or bank wire
- Seller FedExes title and simple bill of sale
- Buyer calls insurance co to bind the car
- Buyer arranges transport and coordinates with seller for pickup

That sound about right? Missing anything?

Man, this is going to be a LONG couple of weeks. I've been dreaming about a ZHP since I joined the Mafia so many years ago.

Cheers,
SC

COBMWs
05-21-2015, 10:59 AM
Yeah - I sold a car long-distance to a private party last year, and that's more or less the process. I actually provided the title to the car first, and then the buyer sent a cashier's check for the balance (he had already paid $1,000 earnest money). Once the check cleared, the car itself was shipped.

I would definitely ask the seller to take many pictures of the car as it is being loaded. That will serve as good evidence in the event any damage is caused by the transport company.

Good luck!