PDA

View Full Version : The big debate replace the ZHP or update all the potential problem areas

Jon D
06-23-2015, 11:47 AM
I've got the bug to replace my 04 vert. It has less than 60K miles and I am anal about maintenance so there is absolutely nothing wrong with this car. The only wear is one one drivers bolster which is fairly standard, and the normal rock chip here and there. So my decision is to refresh the suspension[probably Bilstein B16 ride control coilovers], all the bushings, DISA rebuild which I have the kit for just cause, and the cooling systems parts that have not been done yet. I'm guessing total cost including labor to do everything $5K +/-.

or

One of 4 cars [all verts] on my short list a MSport 435 with the right options, an M4 or the Audi equivalents a S5 or RS5.

Test drove both the 435 and M today. The 435 is a great car and with the right options is very quick and with the adaptive M suspension adaptable for both the wife and I. The M is just a beast. Without the adaptive M suspension [drove both with and without] it's way too track oriented. With the adaptive M suspension you can dial it down to where it's much more comfortable around town and with a couple of clicks it's a track demon. Configured my way about a $13K difference.

Have driven the S5 but it's been a while so will do that again and an RS5 after the 4th as schedule do not have time prior.

So the big debate is do a go for a lot or a whole lot more power in all cases with all the modern stuff or keep the car???:dunno If I sell it what can I reasonably expect to get given the condition and mod's I've done[see sig] without giving it away on trade. And I have yet to call EAG to see if they are interested. But would rather sell to a member than not.

So what's the families collective thoughts??

BADCLOWN
06-23-2015, 11:54 AM
I worked at Bluegrass Motorsports Audi in Louisville for 3 years. Out of all the S model cars, I hated the S5 the most. There was just something about it versus other S models that left something to be desired/felt like it wasn't all there. Between your listed Audis it's absolutely a no brainer: RS5 all day long. They come in some rather gorgeous/deep colors as well. Out of your BMW options: M4.

Just depends on what you want. If you want a healthy change up, then go for something new. 5k for updating a rather low mileage ZHP isn't that bad. Good thing is though, it's lower mileage (obviously desired) if you choose to sell.

If I personally had the chance to upgrade, I'm going RS5 but I'd have to drive both BMWs first.

ecrabb
06-23-2015, 01:48 PM
I can't comment at all on your replacement options, but I can chime in on what you can probably expect for your car since I just bought mine. The last two posts in the How Much Did You Pay? (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?376-BMW-330-ZHP-Prices-How-Much-Did-You-Pay/page16) thread are from two people who just bought vert ZHPs - me with a TiAg '04 6MT w/41k miles with leather and nav, and yj4x4 with a Mystic AT w/71k miles, leather, cold weather, premium, and Xenons. He paid low $14's, and I paid high-$14's. Mine really should have been low-$14's given that it really needs all new tires. Yours would no doubt be worth a little more with the exhaust and struts... I'd guess $15k ballpark, or maybe a grand or so more to the right buyer if the wheels and tires are nice and maintenance is all current. That's just my gut reaction.

My personal opinion is that the stereo equipment is a net-negative. Some (like me) will pass up a car with aftermarket stereo equipment in it, while those who are interested won't pay much (if any) for it. Customization is funny like that.

I can't imagine you wouldn't do better selling to a member than you would to EAG. I'd imagine part of their margin has come from buying cars for well under market value.

Cheers,
SC

johnrando
06-23-2015, 01:58 PM
Hard to say, something to be said for having no car payments though. GL with your decision!

az3579
06-23-2015, 01:59 PM
Hard to say, something to be said for having no car payments though. GL with your decision!

This.

NoVAphotog
06-23-2015, 02:05 PM

+1

Also, since you are looking at cars in the 4 series, why not replace the ZHP with........................a (2016) ZHP?

az3579
06-23-2015, 02:17 PM
+1

Also, since you are looking at cars in the 4 series, why not replace the ZHP with........................a (2016) ZHP?

No convertible.

Jon D
06-23-2015, 03:10 PM
No convertible.

Yup a convertible is a non negotiable item.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jon D
06-23-2015, 03:13 PM
I can't comment at all on your replacement options, but I can chime in on what you can probably expect for your car since I just bought mine. The last two posts in the How Much Did You Pay? (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?376-BMW-330-ZHP-Prices-How-Much-Did-You-Pay/page16) thread are from two people who just bought vert ZHPs - me with a TiAg '04 6MT w/41k miles with leather and nav, and yj4x4 with a Mystic AT w/71k miles, leather, cold weather, premium, and Xenons. He paid low $14's, and I paid high-$14's. Mine really should have been low-$14's given that it really needs all new tires. Yours would no doubt be worth a little more with the exhaust and struts... I'd guess $15k ballpark, or maybe a grand or so more to the right buyer if the wheels and tires are nice and maintenance is all current. That's just my gut reaction.

My personal opinion is that the stereo equipment is a net-negative. Some (like me) will pass up a car with aftermarket stereo equipment in it, while those who are interested won't pay much (if any) for it. Customization is funny like that.

I can't imagine you wouldn't do better selling to a member than you would to EAG. I'd imagine part of their margin has come from buying cars for well under market value.

Cheers,
SC

Thanks that helps. I have not fully redone the suspension just parts that have shown wear etc. that's what I would do if I keep it. Also re stereo understand, I'm just too much of a audiophile to live with what came with car (which I do have- all the HK components).

And the no car payment is a big part of the decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

oldzilla
06-23-2015, 05:50 PM
Just throwing this out there. 335is vert.

az3579
06-23-2015, 06:20 PM
Just throwing this out there. 335is vert.

435 > 335 E9x IMO
The interior design is significantly better on the F33.

DGM0223
06-26-2015, 01:49 PM
I paid $15,250 about 2.5 years ago for my 2004 manual convertible with 60,000 miles. I have spent about $3k on maintenance and koni shocks and it drives great. It has 70,000 miles now and don't think it's worth $18k but a new $50k car would not be worth the difference to me.

ELCID86
06-26-2015, 04:50 PM
^ good advice. Fix her up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRGcoopahS
07-11-2015, 01:06 PM
My vert still drives great at 98k but its due for some real maintenance which I'm in the process of.

brewer90
08-06-2015, 07:09 PM
I just had my zhp in the shop chasing a dmtl leak and got a 335 loaner. I liked the top end power but liked nothing else about the car. I was very happy to get my zhp back.