PDA

View Full Version : BMW Drivers side air bag recall July 2015 letter

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

NorCalZman
06-23-2014, 12:39 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/23/airbag-recall-widens-include-bmw-chrysler-ford-and-toyota/

"BMW is recalling an undisclosed number of 325i, 325Xi, 330i and 330Xi models from the 2001 through 2005 model years and the 2001-2006 model year versions of the 325Ci and 330Ci for the driver side and passenger side inflators. Only vehicles currently registered in Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii and the US Virgin Islands are covered under this recall."

Only in "high humidity" states right now (crock!). If anyone gets a recall notice let us know and give us the details! I know Jon is in Florida for one.

ELCID86
06-23-2014, 12:43 PM
Thanks for posting. There is no humidity here in VA so I'm not worried :-) Didn't they say something like that on another recall (taillights maybe)?

Avetiso
06-23-2014, 01:04 PM
I'd believe high humidity.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

KevinC
06-23-2014, 03:23 PM
Hmm.. my car spent its first 7 years in the Florida swamp, but resides in the desert now. Sounds like I'd be at risk?

Avetiso
06-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Hmm.. my car spent its first 7 years in the Florida swamp, but resides in the desert now. Sounds like I'd be at risk?

Possibly.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

NorCalZman
06-23-2014, 05:01 PM
It will be interesting to know how BMW handles that, Kevin. You should call and ask.

Go Horns!
06-23-2014, 05:57 PM
Honda is expanding it to Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. Honda gets that humidity exists in the south. Way to cheap-out on safety BMW.

HockeyGoon
06-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Honda is expanding it to Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. Honda gets that humidity exists in the south. Way to cheap-out on safety BMW.

+1 , it's humid in Texas too!

ItsMeScottG
06-23-2014, 08:08 PM
It's very humid here in Houston!

terraphantm
06-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Odd that the M3 apparently isn't included.

And they really shouldn't limit it to cars registered in high humidity areas. What if someone moves in the future? Or the car is sold to a Florida resident?

mindspin311
06-24-2014, 06:33 AM
What if you're the 3rd owner of the car and it was first sold in Florida?

danewilson77
06-24-2014, 07:25 AM
Just got this.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/24/ezy3y4az.jpg

The friendliest forum on the planet.

ELCID86
06-24-2014, 07:28 AM
^I just got that too.

Original Recall from the NHTSA
Model Year(s): 2001 (http://repairpal.com/bmw-330i-2001/recalls), 2002 (http://repairpal.com/bmw-330i-2002/recalls), 2003 (http://repairpal.com/bmw-330i-2003/recalls), 2004 (http://repairpal.com/bmw-330i-2004/recalls), 2005 (http://repairpal.com/bmw-330i-2005/recalls)
Mfr's Report Date:
June 20, 2014
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 14V348000
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: AIR BAGS
Potential Number of Units Affected: 0
Summary: BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is conducting a limited regional recall for certain model year 2001-2005 325i, 325xi, 330i, and 330xi, and 2001-2006 325Ci and 330Ci vehicles currently registered in Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and equipped with Takata-brand air bag inflators. Upon deployment of the driver side and/or passenger side frontal air bag, excessive internal pressure may cause the inflator to rupture.
Consequence: In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of either of the frontal air bags, the inflator could rupture with metal fragments striking and potentially seriously injuring the vehicle occupants.
Remedy: BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the frontal air bag(s) free of charge. This recall is expected to begin during August 2014. Owners may contact BMW Customer Relations at 1-800-525-7417.
Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov (http://www.safercar.gov).

NorCalZman
06-24-2014, 07:45 AM
metal fragments? That seems like a pretty serious risk. I am surprised they are limiting the recall to cars "currently" registered in those states.

Torxuvin
06-24-2014, 10:44 AM
^No kidding. Nothing like a little shrapnel in the afternoon.

NorCalZman
06-27-2014, 01:08 PM
background on all of this with a few interesting comments I quoted:
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/27/t...story-feature/

""There's some speculation there that moisture is getting into the inflators, but nobody has proven that yet," said Chris Martin, a spokesperson with Honda. "As we call more cars back and get a chance to test them, then we'll have a larger data set to figure out what the reason is that these are going off. If they can determine the root cause, there's potential for expansion. So there is more information to be determined.""

So it may grow. And even better:
"Three injuries were reported in those six complaints. NHTSA described them as "minor" in nature, and in paperwork filed with the agency, Honda described an injury sustained in an accident on August 6, 2013, as resulting from "an energetic deployment of a driver's airbag."

In that incident, the driver lost sight in the right eye.

"The diver (sic) side airbag inflator ruptured and propelled a one-inch piece of shrapnel into the driver's right eye," according to a complaint filed with NHTSA. "Loss of sight and severe lacerations to nose requiring 100 stitches.""

LOST SIGHT IN AN EYE. Minor injury, huh? This makes me a bit more concerned. I have been in a accident resulting with airbag use. The skin on the bottom of my face was scraped up really bad and I was swollen and cut up for a few weeks. They REALLY hurt. I wish BMW would just replace all the affected airbags. And they describe even more nasty injuries in the article along with 2 deaths from severed neck arteries from the metal pieces.

Everyone should read it. It is very interesting.

JupiterBMW
06-27-2014, 08:35 PM
I will be home on July 5th, and I'll be taking my car straight to my dealer. With two small children, I'll be making sure this gets taken care of ASAP.

I will of course post more details and let you all know how they handle it. My dealer knows me quite well and they know how well I take care of my car, so hopefully they'll be accommodating.

terraphantm
06-28-2014, 12:05 AM
background on all of this with a few interesting comments I quoted:
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/27/t...story-feature/

""There's some speculation there that moisture is getting into the inflators, but nobody has proven that yet," said Chris Martin, a spokesperson with Honda. "As we call more cars back and get a chance to test them, then we'll have a larger data set to figure out what the reason is that these are going off. If they can determine the root cause, there's potential for expansion. So there is more information to be determined.""

So it may grow. And even better:
"Three injuries were reported in those six complaints. NHTSA described them as "minor" in nature, and in paperwork filed with the agency, Honda described an injury sustained in an accident on August 6, 2013, as resulting from "an energetic deployment of a driver's airbag."

In that incident, the driver lost sight in the right eye.

"The diver (sic) side airbag inflator ruptured and propelled a one-inch piece of shrapnel into the driver's right eye," according to a complaint filed with NHTSA. "Loss of sight and severe lacerations to nose requiring 100 stitches.""

LOST SIGHT IN AN EYE. Minor injury, huh? This makes me a bit more concerned. I have been in a accident resulting with airbag use. The skin on the bottom of my face was scraped up really bad and I was swollen and cut up for a few weeks. They REALLY hurt. I wish BMW would just replace all the affected airbags. And they describe even more nasty injuries in the article along with 2 deaths from severed neck arteries from the metal pieces.

Everyone should read it. It is very interesting.

Damn, I kind of want to replace the airbag on my own dime in that case.

Why the hell isn't the M3 a part of this recall?

NorCalZman
06-28-2014, 07:55 AM
Jon. Ask them if there is a way for those of us not in FL, etc. To get our airbags changed out at some point. If there is a way I'll be calling BMW ASAP.

Terra, that's a good question. Was wondering the same thing.

Daddyoh
06-29-2014, 08:10 PM
Hmmm. My son Kaylor just moved to Englewood, FL the first of June in his '05 330xi. About a week after getting there, his airbag light started coming on. Never had before. It's an intermittent occurrence and has not been on in the last several days.

Washburn
07-01-2014, 06:24 AM
NC is pretty humid, but probably not as humid as those other states mentioned...I am still concerned though.

So I guess what we need is to see how BMW reacts if someone asks what we should do if live in a fairly humid state, despite not being listed on the recall notice? what if the AB goes off on a REALLY humid day? Can BMW foresee this?

If someone from a listed state calls them, would be nice if they can mention above concern and see how they react...

NoVAphotog
07-01-2014, 06:52 AM
NC is pretty humid, but probably not as humid as those other states mentioned...I am still concerned though.

So I guess what we need is to see how BMW reacts if someone asks what we should do if live in a fairly humid state, despite not being listed on the recall notice? what if the AB goes off on a REALLY humid day? Can BMW foresee this?

If someone from a listed state calls them, would be nice if they can mention above concern and see how they react...

Emailed BMW of Fairfax about this the other day and they checked for me, nothing in the system for VA as of yet. I'll check back in August since that is apparently when it goes into effect.

PKR
07-01-2014, 05:23 PM
I emailed BMWUSA last night and received their very prompt reply barely 24 hours later...

"Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding our voluntary limited Special Technical Campaign involving the driver and/or front passenger air bag system.

BMW is cooperating with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) on an investigation into airbags which may not deploy correctly. A small number of cases of airbags not operating properly in a particular area of the US have been reported. None of the reported cases involve BMW vehicles. Nonetheless, the company will cooperate fully with the investigation by examining the front airbags in a number of BMW 3 Series vehicles from model years 2001-2006.

If your vehicle is affected, you will receive a letter via First-Class Mail in August requesting that you schedule an appointment with your authorized BMW center to have your vehicle inspected. Depending upon vehicle model, the driver and/or front passenger air bag system will be replaced."

Johnmadd
07-01-2014, 05:31 PM
I have a code that does not compute for My airbag srs light... this may be it! DW77 then taught me the black tape trick.shrapnel sounds bad though :(

gmurphy
07-01-2014, 05:34 PM
I have a code that does not compute for My airbag srs light... this may be it! DW77 then taught me the black tape trick.shrapnel sounds bad though :(

I doubt it would throw a light but you never know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mLuMaN83
07-01-2014, 05:46 PM
I am going to take mine in!

Say no to face metal.

johnrando
07-02-2014, 05:03 AM

What is your code John? I have an airbag light on too.

Johnmadd
07-02-2014, 05:11 AM
What is your code John? I have an airbag light on too.

I have to dig deep into the mafia archive for that, maybe I can try and find it.

Johnmadd
07-02-2014, 05:13 AM
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-853.html

johnrando
07-02-2014, 05:25 AM
Thanks. Not the same one as mine.

NorCalZman
07-02-2014, 09:02 AM
Based on what BMW has released so far, the issue happens when the airbag is deployed in a collision and the metal igniter explodes like a grenade. I didnt see anything about this scenario causing codes to be thrown.

Having said that, if you are really concerned about it I bet BMW would be happy to investigate if you call them and share your concerns. They may insist on an diagnosis charge, though.

NorCalZman
07-16-2014, 06:24 AM
Update. BMW recalling all of our 3 series to replace the PASSENGER FRONT airbag.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/bmw-recalls-16m-series-cars-air-bag-problem-24579911

For those with experience taking apart the dash, what is going to happen to replace these airbags? Do our dashboards need to come off? Hoping not (less chance of rattles).

johnrando
07-16-2014, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the info. Wonder when my notice will come in.

stephenkirsh
07-16-2014, 07:55 AM
Question guys. How do they know I own this car? I'm the 4th owner. Do they go by DMV registration?

gmurphy
07-16-2014, 08:26 AM
Question guys. How do they know I own this car? I'm the 4th owner. Do they go by DMV registration?

I am assuming... If not you can always just call them

gmurphy
07-16-2014, 08:27 AM
Update. BMW recalling all of our 3 series to replace the PASSENGER FRONT airbag.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/bmw-recalls-16m-series-cars-air-bag-problem-24579911

For those with experience taking apart the dash, what is going to happen to replace these airbags? Do our dashboards need to come off? Hoping not (less chance of rattles).

I emailed a tech, he said should take less than an hour. Sounds simple enough.

Hermes
07-16-2014, 08:30 AM
Which airbags are being replaced, steering wheel and passenger dash? What about a pillars and door

gmurphy
07-16-2014, 08:45 AM
Which airbags are being replaced, steering wheel and passenger dash? What about a pillars and door

I believe just the passenger airbags

stephenkirsh
07-16-2014, 09:38 AM
I emailed a tech, he said should take less than an hour. Sounds simple enough.

I'm sure they'll want the car all day though. They had my 325 all day to do the tail light recall.

gmurphy
07-16-2014, 09:40 AM
I'm sure they'll want the car all day though. They had my 325 all day to do the tail light recall.

Lmao serious? That must mean an oil change takes 4 days ;)

TheFinanceGuy
07-16-2014, 09:51 AM

WOW! BMW had mine for about 1 hour. That included the wash/vacuum for the tail light recall.

Pip
07-16-2014, 09:59 AM
Really wish M3 was included unless they use a magical airbags. My car is from the east coast originally (N. Carolina).

kowww
07-16-2014, 10:32 AM
Just called the BMW hotline to double check I was covered and e46 M3's are covered under the recall

danewilson77
07-16-2014, 10:57 AM
Plus they want to have time to adequately assess the car, so that they can "recommend" some very serious items that need to be addressed.....

LMAO :rofl

gmurphy
07-16-2014, 11:01 AM
Plus they want to have time to adequately assess the car, so that they can "recommend" some very serious items that need to be addressed.....

LMAO :rofl

True that!

stephenkirsh
07-16-2014, 11:43 AM
WOW! BMW had mine for about 1 hour. That included the wash/vacuum for the tail light recall.

Lucky!

stephenkirsh
07-16-2014, 11:44 AM
Just called the BMW hotline to double check I was covered and e46 M3's are covered under the recall

A bmw tech who does work on my car said they will space out recalls so that they don't overwhelm dealerships or the supply chain.

It's very likely they'll announce m3s later.

NorCalZman
07-16-2014, 11:56 AM
found this info from someone who removed their dashboard. Looks like maybe the passenger side trim and vent has to come out, then they just pull up on the airbag door:

Now the passenger airbag. Just pry up the air bag cover, it's only held in by thing tabs and ridges. Just use your hands or a
plastic spatula etc. Inside is the airbag. In theory you can leave this in place as it's not attached to the dash but the cover needs
to come away from the dash it is attached to a bracket underneath the airbag so remove the large nuts either side of the airbag,
lift it out (disconnect if you want) and then remove the airbag cover canvas straps.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3282/3069473514_42e1f77ea9.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3159/3071069377_5ddd618521.jpg

E_Rak
07-16-2014, 11:58 AM
Is this now applicable for all regions, not just southern states?

NorCalZman
07-16-2014, 12:00 PM
Is this now applicable for all regions, not just southern states?

Yes, theyre recalling ALL e46s in the US from the 2000 model year on. See the article I linked to on the previous page.

derbo
07-16-2014, 12:49 PM
Yes, theyre recalling ALL e46s in the US from the 2000 model year on. See the article I linked to on the previous page.

Just heard this on the radio. Time to wait for that mail with my notice to bring in my car. I wonder if they will complain if the recaro is in there ;)

Vas
07-16-2014, 12:49 PM
Wonder if I will get a notice in the mail for both of my cars

NorCalZman
07-16-2014, 12:54 PM

I assume they do it by dealership records. Call your local dealer and make sure you are in their computer.

Vas
07-16-2014, 12:55 PM
Local BMW dealer is 45 minutes away from me lol.

NorCalZman
07-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Oh, interesting. It may not stop at our passenger airbags:

"With the passenger units being replaced, the analysis "will now focus on the driver-side airbag," said Russell."

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/16/bmw-3-series-airbag-recall-official/

Johnmadd
07-16-2014, 01:48 PM

"With the passenger units being replaced, the analysis "will now focus on the driver-side airbag," said Russell."

If it is the driver side one too, I believe that could mean brand new steering wheel roundels :)

NorCalZman
07-16-2014, 02:06 PM
Mine still looks brand new. Is steering wheel roundel issues a thing?

derbo
07-16-2014, 02:23 PM

If you filled out a form to update BMWNa that you are the current owners you most likely will. :)

Johnmadd
07-16-2014, 02:25 PM
Mine still looks brand new. Is steering wheel roundel issues a thing?

Not that I know of, but i do have a scuff on the exterior part of the airbag that bugs the heck out of me lol!

derbo
07-16-2014, 02:35 PM
Not that I know of, but i do have a scuff on the exterior part of the airbag that bugs the heck out of me lol!

Thats only if they decide the steering wheel one needs to be replaced too right?

danewilson77
07-16-2014, 02:37 PM

Mmmm. Knew it. I'm getting my new emblem.

Sounds ridiculous to me that NOW they're going to do analysis on drivers side, vice have the car in one time to take care of all problems.

derbo
07-16-2014, 02:38 PM
Mmmm. Knew it. I'm getting my new emblem.

I wouldn't mind getting my airbags replaced. I rather have new airbags than 10yr old airbags lol

NorCalZman
07-16-2014, 03:04 PM
Could always wait a few months after you receive the mailed notice to see if they expand to the drivers side too.

coby1
07-16-2014, 03:27 PM
do not know if it relates but i have seen several non deployed steering wheel airbags in big time wrecked e46 cars over the years of browsing the yards for wheels.

ryankokesh
07-17-2014, 04:03 AM
do not know if it relates but i have seen several non deployed steering wheel airbags in big time wrecked e46 cars over the years of browsing the yards for wheels.

That seems not cool.

Hope I don't get in an accident before they send a recall notice.

Sent from my iPhone

Fenrir
07-17-2014, 06:05 AM
Time to call my nearest dealer.

bshovers
07-17-2014, 06:39 AM
My car has an airbag light that was cleared and came back on. I know it's very early in the recall process but do you think this will be an excuses for them to make me pay money for the recall?

gmurphy
07-17-2014, 09:11 AM
My car has an airbag light that was cleared and came back on. I know it's very early in the recall process but do you think this will be an excuses for them to make me pay money for the recall?

Nope... They will fix what is recalled no matter what at no charge. That's federal law. Your light is most likely unrelated but it may clear it. Could be anything.

NorCalZman
07-17-2014, 10:03 AM
Yeah I would wait and just have them fix the airbag and see what they say about the light. If nothing else they might just tell you what you need to fix when you pick the car up.

danewilson77
07-17-2014, 10:51 AM

Nope... They will fix what is recalled no matter what at no charge. That's federal law. Your light is most likely unrelated but it may clear it. Could be anything.

I would think if the airbag light was "NOT RECALL RELATED" they would make you pay for it. AFAIK, the airbag light is caused by a faulty passenger occupancy mat, selt belt tensioner, or seat belt switch.

derbo
07-17-2014, 10:55 AM
I would think if the airbag light was "NOT RECALL RELATED" they would make you pay for it. AFAIK, the airbag light is caused by a faulty passenger occupancy mat, selt belt tensioner, or seat belt switch.

That is my immediate thought as well. The code should tell you what is faulty.

bshovers
07-17-2014, 11:01 AM
I'm pretty sure it's the occupant mat because it goes on and off when people are in my car. Anyways back the the topic at hand. Thanks everyone!

Vas
07-17-2014, 11:01 AM
My passenger side occupancy mat gives me an airbag light when there is weight on the seat. Wonder if that is covered under warranty?

Is there a time frame to when this recall will end?

gmurphy
07-17-2014, 11:08 AM
My passenger side occupancy mat gives me an airbag light when there is weight on the seat. Wonder if that is covered under warranty?

Which warranty?

derbo
07-17-2014, 11:49 AM

Sorry Vas,

If the SRS light in your car has come on or gone dark, take the car to the dealer as soon as possible. Unlike seatbelts, which sometimes have lifetime warranties (as in Honda vehicles, for example) car airbags only are covered by the new-car limited warranty.

Vas
07-17-2014, 12:14 PM
Sorry Vas,

If the SRS light in your car has come on or gone dark, take the car to the dealer as soon as possible. Unlike seatbelts, which sometimes have lifetime warranties (as in Honda vehicles, for example) car airbags only are covered by the new-car limited warranty.

I ran the code and it is for the mat. Light comes on and off when a person sits there. Otherwise empty seat = no light. I do need to get it fixed.

derbo
07-17-2014, 12:36 PM
Hate that mat to death. Dont forget to replace this sucker too 65776940191

JG330i
07-17-2014, 12:47 PM
I spoke to a SA at BMW Portland and she let me know to call this number and make sure the info on my car is updated so that if my car is affected by the recall that I'll get the notice via mail.

(800) 831-1117

Press "0" for a Customer Service Rep and explain that you want to make sure you revive recall notices if your car is affected.

NorCalZman
07-17-2014, 01:26 PM
The press release from BMW has a different customer service number to call. Have you called your number yet?

derbo
07-17-2014, 02:45 PM
The press release from BMW has a different customer service number to call. Have you called your number yet?

The number posted above is just Customer Relations of BMW NA. It's most likely just to update BMWNA the car's current owner information to ensure you get up to date information about future recalls etc.

NorCalZman
07-18-2014, 10:46 AM
Ok I called that phone number. After about 10 minutes on hold a nice lady came on the line and asked for my name. I gave it to her and said I was calling about the recall and asked how they would know where to send me my notice, assuming she would say they would have it from dealership records if I bought parts or service at a dealer. She responded that she would have to take my info in order for them to know, which kind of surprised me. I assume the most recent records for a lot of us are sitting right there in the dealership databases which I thought would tie back to corporate. Anyway, I gave her all my info along with the VIN and that was that. So I guess you all should make sure you call them and give them your info. the first of two notices will be mailed in August.

ItsMeScottG
07-18-2014, 12:26 PM
Actually you don't have to call them and give them your information. They will get the current owners address through the DMV. Whoever the car is currently registered under, that person will receive the recall notice.

JG330i
07-18-2014, 12:53 PM
The number posted above is just Customer Relations of BMW NA. It's most likely just to update BMWNA the car's current owner information to ensure you get up to date information about future recalls etc.

Correct.

bshovers
07-22-2014, 10:05 AM
So today I called my dealership and gave him the last 7 of my VIN and he told me that my car didn't fall under the recall? I have an 03 last seven of the vin are KM03679

NorCalZman
07-22-2014, 11:18 AM
You will be getting a letter in August. And then a second letter after that when they have enough parts to do the recall. Wait until September or October before you start getting concerned.

NoVAphotog
08-22-2014, 08:23 AM
Anyone get this done yet?

johnrando
08-22-2014, 08:47 AM
Hadn't heard a peep from them. EDIT: Just called them. (800) 831-1117 They said my car was not affected by the recall. Apparently the production month 3/06, was out of the scope of the recall. Very curious to what they say about other late model E46s. William? :)

danewilson77
08-22-2014, 11:10 AM
They said my car was not affected by the recall. Apparently the production month 3/06, was out of the scope of the recall.

Did you ask them why? What's different about 03/06?

The friendliest forum on the planet!

LivesNearCostco
08-22-2014, 11:14 AM
They may have stopped using the faulty airbag inflators by early 2006.

johnrando
08-22-2014, 03:50 PM
I did ask why. They said it was based on production date and that mine was not in that date. So, I'm assuming something was different in my production, I did not ask them what that was.

alexandre
08-22-2014, 04:32 PM
You can look up if your car has any pending recalls here: http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/owner/safetyrecalls_new.aspx?mobileoverride=true

My car is affected. I wonder if a Canadian dealer will take care of it or if I'll need to make a trek to the closest US dealer. I get to hang out at the ///M cafe!!

cakM3
08-22-2014, 04:44 PM
I had my ZHP checked out and the service advisor I spoke to verified that my ZHP wasn't on the recall list....

NorCalZman
08-22-2014, 06:18 PM
that sounds strange. I thought their press release said all e46s would be included in this. At any rate, my car was built in 11/04 and it is part of the recall:

There is 1 open safety recall for your vehicle.
Your VIN: WBAEV53485KM08662
Year: 2005
Make and Model: BMW 330I US
July 15, 2014 | Recall Campaign No. 14V-428
AIR BAG
Remedy not yet available
Last Updated: August 21, 2014
DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM
On certain model year 2000 - 2006 3 Series sedans, coupes and convertibles, including the M3 versions, the passenger side frontal air bag may produce excessive internal pressure that could cause the inflator to rupture upon deployment of the air bag.
SAFETY RISK
In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the passenger's frontal air bag, excessive internal pressure could cause rupturing of the inflator resulting in metal fragments striking and potentially seriously injuring the passenger seat occupant or other occupants.
DESCRIPTION OF REPAIR
Your BMW center will replace the passenger side frontal air bag.
For additional information or assistance, please contact Customer Relations and Services at 1-800-525-7417 or email at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com.
Database last updated on August 21, 2014.

derbo
08-22-2014, 07:17 PM
I have the same recall confirmed but no fix has been established yet.

Your VIN: WBAEV53434KM05909
Year: 2004
Make and Model: BMW 330I US
July 15, 2014 | Recall Campaign No. 14V-428
AIR BAG

alexandre
08-22-2014, 07:56 PM
I had my ZHP checked out and the service advisor I spoke to verified that my ZHP wasn't on the recall list....

Was that before or after ~Jul 15 when they expanded the recall to the entire country ? Did you run your VIN on the site above ?

NorCalZman
09-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Saw over on another forum that people have started receiving the recall notices in the mail. I have not received anything yet. Anyone?

derbo
09-14-2014, 05:43 PM
Saw over on another forum that people have started receiving the recall notices in the mail. I have not received anything yet. Anyone?

my car has the airbag recall listed in Dealerspeed.

Campaign Code

Campaign Description

Takata Airbag Recall-B65 17 14.

ELCID86
09-14-2014, 05:50 PM
I got a letter on one car yesterday. Says the parts are not in stock and I'll get another letter. They claim it's a 3 hour repair.
Questions go to customerrelations@bmwusa.com or 800-525-7417.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

derbo
09-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Is that how long it takes to remove the airbag?

NorCalZman
09-14-2014, 10:02 PM
I am surprised it's listed at 3 hours. I have watched YouTube videos of accessing the passenger side airbag to see what my car was in for and it was no where near 3 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

az3579
09-15-2014, 03:27 AM
I am surprised it's listed at 3 hours. I have watched YouTube videos of accessing the passenger side airbag to see what my car was in for and it was no where near 3 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Book time. It accounts for things that could prove a challenge to remove (something stuck), or anything else that adds up in time like having to go up to the computer to reference something.

derbo
09-15-2014, 11:49 AM
Book time. It accounts for things that could prove a challenge to remove (something stuck), or anything else that adds up in time like having to go up to the computer to reference something.

When I was working at BMWSF, booktime was terrible and it was actually significantly lower than the actual "getting the car, getting on the lift, get the parts , getting the job done, and finally moving the car out back to the lot." time. I was told by an old time tech, oil changes used to be 45minutes and they dropped it down to about 20minutes. I would not be surprised that the book time is actually done by a master tech who has done the job before and has the car ready and ALL the tools laid on on his bench ready to go. That being said, I am still surprised its 3hrs. I'll check when I schedule my recall soon.

coby1
09-15-2014, 01:45 PM
received the recall letter today

Johnmadd
09-15-2014, 04:10 PM
received the recall letter today

Me too.

oclvframe
09-15-2014, 04:17 PM
As the third owner of my zhp, how will I know if mine is part of the recall?

-r

Johnmadd
09-15-2014, 04:20 PM
As the third owner of my zhp, how will I know if mine is part of the recall?

-r

It is registered to you now.

oclvframe
09-15-2014, 04:28 PM
It is registered to you now.

So my wife JUST walked in with today's mail....wanna guess what was in it?!?!? :facepalm

stephenkirsh
09-15-2014, 04:29 PM
Me too.

Me three!

Vas
09-15-2014, 04:38 PM
I received two letters today. Letter said parts are not ready and I will be notified when to schedule an appointment.

NorCalZman
09-15-2014, 04:43 PM
And my letter arrived today as well.

PdZHP
09-15-2014, 04:45 PM
Received as well.

Oli77
09-15-2014, 04:46 PM
Received my letter today.

az3579
09-15-2014, 04:47 PM
When I was working at BMWSF, booktime was terrible and it was actually significantly lower than the actual "getting the car, getting on the lift, get the parts , getting the job done, and finally moving the car out back to the lot." time. I was told by an old time tech, oil changes used to be 45minutes and they dropped it down to about 20minutes. I would not be surprised that the book time is actually done by a master tech who has done the job before and has the car ready and ALL the tools laid on on his bench ready to go. That being said, I am still surprised its 3hrs. I'll check when I schedule my recall soon.

I think the way they do it has something to do with what's profitable for them... I dunno.

WolfBMW
09-15-2014, 05:11 PM
Got my letter too!

derbo
09-15-2014, 05:14 PM
I think the way they do it has something to do with what's profitable for them... I dunno.

It has to do with the 4yr/50k program and warrnaty work is no longer easy money. If it's the first time the tech has done it, he will always lose money on it. Its probably why many BMW techs are quitting dealerships to work indie.

sent from Moto X Dev Edition

Tnhl1989
09-15-2014, 07:35 PM

Your ZHP actually is on the recall list Charlie :)

Raptorman5174
09-15-2014, 07:36 PM
Just got mine today

Simmsled
09-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Got mine today.

Santacruzslick
09-15-2014, 08:49 PM
Got mine today as well....3 hours?? I can swap an airbag on an e46 in under 20 minutes. It's actually really damn simple. There's legitimately one screw and a couple bolts. I think I will take apart my dash before bringing my car in so they can just unbolt the old bag and bolt the new one back in. I don't like other people working on my car...especially when it comes to my carbon fiber dash trim.

danewilson77
09-16-2014, 07:20 AM
Your ZHP actually is on the recall list Charlie :)
Lol. Good backup.

328ioc
09-16-2014, 08:00 AM
Just got my letter in the mail!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Asiah119
09-16-2014, 08:24 AM
I got a notice in VA. Really nice that they let us know that there is a problem but they havent shipped out parts yet so, you know... dont get in an accident because your airbags might not function properly.

quikryptonite
09-16-2014, 10:00 AM
Got my letter yesterday here out West. I wonder when they'll be ready to perform the repair here at my local BMW center.

LivesNearCostco
09-16-2014, 10:11 AM
got my letter yesterday.

TigerTater
09-16-2014, 01:03 PM
I got my letter also. How do they know I own the car now? Does the state forward the info? I don't remember telling bmwna anything...

Sent from my iPhone 13

stephenkirsh
09-16-2014, 02:07 PM
It does. DMV records.

Santacruzslick
09-16-2014, 03:17 PM
I got my letter also. How do they know I own the car now? Does the state forward the info? I don't remember telling bmwna anything...

Sent from my iPhone 13

They're the government, they know everything. hahaha

prowlerflyer
09-16-2014, 04:23 PM
Got mine today.

mbeckel
09-16-2014, 04:27 PM
Still haven't got mine yet. I think BMW wants me to die in a firey wreck!

Santacruzslick
09-16-2014, 04:35 PM
There have been zero reported incidents regarding this possible malfunction so it's really not a big thing to worry about.

derbo
09-16-2014, 04:36 PM
Got mine too but they have my email! should've just emailed me to save paper since its not the official recall yet since there are no parts.

johnrando
09-16-2014, 08:57 PM
Received mine, even though when I called about a month ago or so they said I was not part of the recall.

ELCID86
09-17-2014, 03:32 AM
... but they have my email! should've just emailed me to save paper since its not the official recall yet since there are no parts.

I thought the same thing. I wonder if it's an NTSB, legal, etc. requirement to mail it? I did go to BMWUSA and add my new car--talk about a very slow/unresponsive site--I just got the spinning icon for several minutes then i tried to refresh and the car is listed twice and I can't delete it or my old coupe that I sold.

WOLFN8TR
09-17-2014, 04:21 AM
Got my Recall letter yesterday as well.

Daddyoh
09-17-2014, 04:24 AM
Kaylor and I received ours on the 15th. He has an '05 330xi.

Daddyoh
09-17-2014, 04:27 AM
Shawn, I have to use Foxfire when on the BMW Financial page. BMW will not play well with Internet Explorer.

ELCID86
09-17-2014, 04:48 AM
Shawn, I have to use Foxfire when on the BMW Financial page. BMW will not play well with Internet Explorer.
Thanks. I was using Chrome. Will try FF. Pretty pathetic if that is the case.

TheFinanceGuy
09-17-2014, 09:16 AM
Got my letter yesterday.

Au1994
09-17-2014, 09:49 AM
Got mine on Monday.

NoVAphotog
09-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Got my letter yesterday.

Got mine on Monday.

Nothing for me here in VA yet...hopefully everything is lined up in all the systems. I'm registered on BMWNA's site and all.

Newjack
09-17-2014, 03:44 PM
Nothing for me here in VA yet...hopefully everything is lined up in all the systems. I'm registered on BMWNA's site and all.
I got mine yesterday. Just give it time.

3ZHPGUY
09-17-2014, 03:53 PM
Got mine Monday

az3579
09-17-2014, 05:14 PM
Got it today.

ChrisCSL#25
09-17-2014, 05:42 PM
Got it yesterday.

jwalther
09-18-2014, 03:38 AM
Got mine a couple of days ago. . .

RITmusic2k
09-19-2014, 10:06 AM
Got mine a couple days ago as well... I'm gonna see if they can squeeze in some additional repairs while she's under the knife... I have some funky things going on in my wheel well...

NoVAphotog
09-19-2014, 12:26 PM
Emailed BMW NA, found out what I was wondering, just gotta be patient.

"Dear Daniel:

Thank you for writing to BMW of North America, LLC regarding our voluntary safety recall for model year 2000-2006 BMW 3 Series vehicles produced between May 1999 and August 2006 to replace the passenger-side front airbag.

This replacement campaign is a voluntary precautionary measure to ensure maximum safety of our customers. If your vehicle is affected by this recall, you will receive an initial notification letter via First-Class Mail shortly. We obtain vehicle ownership information from the Department of Motor Vehicles. When parts for this recall become available BMW will mail a second letter to owners requesting that they schedule an appointment with their authorized BMW center.

BMW remains committed to maintaining the highest level of automotive excellence. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience should your vehicle be affected by this recall.

The BMW Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., ET. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

Sincerely,

Jessica Flory
Customer Relations and Services
Representative"

danewilson77
09-19-2014, 03:17 PM
Oh Jessica.....

stephenkirsh
09-19-2014, 07:46 PM
Recall emails get Dane going.

danewilson77
09-20-2014, 04:33 AM
Recall emails get Dane going.
That was a :facepalm "oh".

zhpnsnv
09-20-2014, 05:04 AM
I got my letter and scheduled an appt (had to go in anyway). Was told they could do the work -- hopefully this is true.

ELCID86
09-20-2014, 06:40 AM
My letter and Jessica's email said the parts aren't available yet. ??

stephenkirsh
09-20-2014, 10:46 AM
That was a :facepalm "oh".

Ok that makes much more sense :)

Whammy
09-21-2014, 08:25 AM
Letter received. Getting addressed on Thursday.

mbeckel
09-21-2014, 08:46 AM
Finally got my letter

cakM3
09-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Got my recall letters for both cars yesterday

Avetiso
09-21-2014, 11:17 AM
Got mine.

pilotnick1203
09-21-2014, 02:35 PM
I got a letter...

Whitexi
09-21-2014, 03:08 PM
I did too

Rice Picker
09-21-2014, 06:03 PM
I work at a Honda Dealership in Vancouver Canada. This Recall has been out since Spring. According to what I've been told, manufactures have to notify the public right away even thought the are not yet ready to perform the recall. So the government want everyone to know about it, while everybody is still waiting on the Inflator to become available. At this time there is not approximate time of when it it will be released. Honda Canada doesn't have an estimate date for us either.

ItsMeScottG
09-21-2014, 07:18 PM
My local dealership has the parts in stock. I just haven't had a chance to take my car in and have the recall taken care of yet. I received a letter in the mail like a week or two ago.

cakM3
09-22-2014, 05:22 AM
I set up appointments for both cars to be serviced next Tuesday so that airbags can be replaced. At least this is being done under warranty :thumbsup

Washburn
09-22-2014, 09:33 AM
Got the letter yesterday...
No parts available, but I am gonna call the dealer anyway and see if they have them...

Washburn
09-22-2014, 09:49 AM
So I called - stealer says need to test the car first ?? needs car for 3 days, and gives me an option of 7th oct or 14th oct to bring it in...
I asked why they need to TEST the car if it's already determined to HAVE the defect ? He says it's part of the recall procedure... ???
(btw, he says part availability won't be a problem)
Weird?
I might check with another stealer...

NorCalZman
09-22-2014, 09:55 AM
I would go to another dealer. Not giving my car to anyone for 3 days. Airbag replacement takes one hour.

stephenkirsh
09-22-2014, 10:40 AM
That's just plain weird.

Washburn
09-22-2014, 10:41 AM
Yeah I might let BMWNA and NHTSA know about them.

cakM3
09-22-2014, 10:57 AM
So I called - stealer says need to test the car first ?? needs car for 3 days, and gives me an option of 7th oct or 14th oct to bring it in...
I asked why they need to TEST the car if it's already determined to HAVE the defect ? He says it's part of the recall procedure... ???
(btw, he says part availability won't be a problem)
Weird?
I might check with another stealer...

That sounds very fishy! I went to my dealer and my service advisor didn't say anything like that. In fact she scheduled both cars to have their airbag replaced the same day. It's a simple swap out. No testing involved as far as I know. I wouldn't trust that dealer if I were you.....

Washburn
09-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Oh I don't - never have.
EDIT: I sent the stealer a message using their "contact us" form and asked for an explanation. Let's see if they write back.
just FYI: This is Valley BMW, Fayetteville, NC

This is what wrote:

Dear Sir/Madam,
I received the BMW recall notice 14V 128 (Front Passenger Airbag) a few days ago, and contacted your dealership as advised on the NHTSA/BMWNA recall notice.

From the research I have done, I have read at least 25 or more reports where people just made and appointment with their BMW center, took the car and the recall procedure was done within 3-4 hours and that was it, no questions asked. This is also exactly how the process is described in the recall notice. I personally know at least 3 people who have gotten this recall procedure done at various BMW centers on the same day of the appointment, with no questions asked.

HOWEVER, when I called Valley BMW service dept. and spoke to a gentleman by the name of Jim, he told me that I will have to leave the car for THREE DAYS, and the car will have to be TESTED before air bag can be swapped. I told him that no such testing was ever suggested in the recall notice.
I also asked him why the car needs TESTING when IT IS ALREADY DETERMINED BY NHTSA/BMWNA to BE AFFECTED by the recall. (The letter has VIN of my car)
He told me that "that's how it is done, and it's part of the recall" (which is not true, as far as I know, and judging from various reports I have read regarding this procedure).

I find this very strange and I have NOT heard of ANY other BMW dealership doing this. They never required any testing OR kept the car for 3 days, and did it immediately when the cars were brought in. (as reported everywhere on the web)
I would like a clear explanation for this from you regarding this matter, as this is a MANDATORY safety recall required by the NHTSA. If I do not get a satisfactory answer I plan to contact the NHTSA and BMWNA regarding Valley BMW and the handling of my request to perform the recall as it sounds certainly different from every other dealership that has performed this recall so far.
I hope to hear back from you as soon as possible.
Thanks in advance!

coby1
09-22-2014, 12:34 PM
just called my local bmw shop (asked if they were doing them yet) asked for the last 7 of vin# said they have the parts set the appt. for tomorrow and said it will take 2hrs. to complete service
so yea for sure really sketchy on the 3 day thing

Washburn
09-22-2014, 06:17 PM
Well, they called back within 2 hrs of me sending the above message (see my previous post).

S.A Apologized for the 'miscommunication' and bla bla and said he only said that because they haven't done one yet, so was afraid to tell I can come and get it done rightaway, it involves pyrotechnics, etc. Didn't want me think they're not there to help me, and "no need to notify BMWNA" (uh huh)

Anyway they're doing the first one on Thu., and I said I will call him back and see how THAT one went, and then if they can confidently tell me I can get it done in ONE day, just like other dealers do it, I will come and get it done. Otherwise, I said, I will check out a different dealership...

So we will see after I call them again after they do the first one.

stephenkirsh
09-22-2014, 06:55 PM
Still seems sketchy. Good luck!

NorCalZman
09-22-2014, 07:57 PM
I dunno....its so obvious these dealers don't know what they are doing yet. I am going to wait a few months (at least) to get this done. That way they will be nice and experienced with this. When they can knock these out in less than an hour I will just wait in the waiting room reading on my iPad or sitting in cars in the show room

stephenkirsh
09-22-2014, 08:43 PM
I plan on (stupidly) test driving an m235.

az3579
09-23-2014, 03:36 AM

In for ZHP for sale thread.

NoVAphotog
09-23-2014, 05:03 AM

BMW of Sterling's M235i loaner reserved for Friday's airbag replacement...Alpine White with Coral Red Dakota Leather, 6MT, Cold Weather Package, Harmon Kardon Surround Sound, BMW Performance M Variable Lock LSD... :shift :shift

:shift

ELCID86
09-23-2014, 05:55 AM
BMW of Sterling's M235i loaner reserved for Friday's airbag replacement...Alpine White with Coral Red Dakota Leather, 6MT, Cold Weather Package, Harmon Kardon Surround Sound, BMW Performance M Variable Lock LSD... :shift :shift

:shift
Nice!

NoVAphotog
09-23-2014, 06:00 AM
Nice!

I wish Shawn!! The shiftie's were meant as sarcasm...in reality it's whatever base model 320i is available or an Enterprise rental car... :crying

cakM3
09-23-2014, 06:11 AM
I have a hard time believing that these dealers don't know how to change out an airbag :facepalm

For one thing, all you have to do is disconnect the battery from the car, wait 16 minutes then take out the dash airbag by unplugging it from the car and dismounting it.

Take the new airbag and connect it to the car by plugging it in and mount it, then insert a new plastic tab into the airbag cover and insert the airbag cover back in place on the dash.

This is just a very basic description on how to replace the dash airbag. I know this because I took out my entire dash this year while Botond helped/watched. Even he can tell you how fast I had taken out the dash airbag then reinserted it. Had no issues after connecting it and reconnecting my battery....this is not a hard procedure....

Vas
09-23-2014, 06:14 AM
I just don't want my cube trim to get a broken tab.

johnrando
09-23-2014, 06:20 AM
Good point. Maybe I'll remove my trim before I go in for this.

NoVAphotog
09-23-2014, 06:28 AM
I just don't want my cube trim to get a broken tab.

I'm with you Vas. Definitely having a nice chat with the SA upon drop off...for what it's worth...about taking their time and not touching anything else in my car other than what they have to and even that feels annoying.

stephenkirsh
09-23-2014, 08:37 AM
In for ZHP for sale thread.

Ha no. I've only had the zhp for 11.5 months and it's still not up to par for me yet. M235 is my planned replacement in 10 years lol...

Bello-Bmw
09-25-2014, 03:46 AM
Got my letter on Wednesday sep.17th . Went to the dealer on saturday, and my car was done in 45 min.

NoVAphotog
09-25-2014, 04:05 AM
Got my letter on Wednesday sep.17th . Went to the dealer on saturday, and my car was done in 45 min.
I'll definitely be reporting on my experience tomorrow...gearing up to be a show. "request a loaner" "have to reprogram the car" etc...I mean, I'm at work all day so time isn't a factor but messing with my car when it's not necessary is. I'll definitely be asking a lot of questions at drop off.

cakM3
09-25-2014, 04:20 AM
I'll definitely be reporting on my experience tomorrow...gearing up to be a show. "request a loaner" "have to reprogram the car" etc...I mean, I'm at work all day so time isn't a factor but messing with my car when it's not necessary is. I'll definitely be asking a lot of questions at drop off.

Good Luck Daniel!

NoVAphotog
09-25-2014, 05:22 AM
Good Luck Daniel!
Thanks, Charlie!

ELCID86
09-25-2014, 09:25 AM

??

zhpnsnv
09-25-2014, 09:27 AM
Mine is in today. SA put a part aside for me because he knew I'd call as soon as the letter got to me, even though it says not to call. hahaha.

Good opportunity to get some 60k maintenance done, so doing some of that, too. Got an F30 328i loaner. Still meh. Ecopro mode makes me want to drive the car into a concrete wall. My E46 is averaging 29 mpg without an eco-pro mode -- well, it's a 325 so I guess it's always in ecopro mode. Kidding!

Oli77
09-30-2014, 04:51 AM
At Don Jacobs BMW dealership in Lexington KY. They are doing the airbag recall thing. Said it should be thirty minutes to one hour...

Mab there isn't a single e46 on this lot!.

Oli77
09-30-2014, 04:59 AM
Was just told the inside of my tires is really worn on all four. Thank you for noticing.

Oli77
09-30-2014, 05:24 AM
Took one hour. [emoji4] http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/30/b2917dcd108a2f21ea7a70666c4af1d3.jpg

alexandre
09-30-2014, 05:52 AM
Took one hour. [emoji4]

I was told I had to leave the car there for the day... And I have to pay fees if I wanna get a loaner :shifty

My dealer is garbage.

johnrando
09-30-2014, 06:06 AM
Yup, BS. Should not be fees for a loaner. Never seen a dealer do that.

Oli77
09-30-2014, 06:27 AM
As people have stated above, they are getting faster, the more they do.

The guy told me that initially they scheduled for 2.5 hours to take care of recall. Now, they can be as fast as 30 minutes per car.

The more they do, the faster they get a it so maybe you should wait Alexandre.

I did learn that one of my tires is a 215, while the other 3 are 225!!!!! It's been that way since I bought the car and only found out today.

NorCalZman
09-30-2014, 06:37 AM
I was told I had to leave the car there for the day... And I have to pay fees if I wanna get a loaner :shifty

My dealer is garbage.

They probably have ALOT of poorly maintained E46s coming in for the recall that will need a long list of needed repairs. They will consider this an opportunity to provide the list to an owner and making some extra money on more repairs. More Savvy owners like us will either have BS lists, lists that we already knew about, or lists that we will use to do repairs ourselves.

alexandre
09-30-2014, 06:58 AM
They probably have ALOT of poorly maintained E46s coming in for the recall that will need a long list of needed repairs. They will consider this an opportunity to provide the list to an owner and making some extra money on more repairs. More Savvy owners like us will either have BS lists, lists that we already knew about, or lists that we will use to do repairs ourselves.

The thing is I booked an inspection at the same time! They're running a $29.95 special (I do it every year, take the $3-4k estimate they give me, and DIY everything) that usually takes two hours. Add 45min for the recall and I should be able to stay there the whole time and work while waiting. But no! Take the bus and come back tomorrow. Haha

danewilson77
09-30-2014, 07:21 AM
At Don Jacobs BMW dealership in Lexington KY. They are doing the airbag recall thing. Said it should be thirty minutes to one hour...

Mab there isn't a single e46 on this lot!.

I thought BMW dealers weren't allowed to have cars on the lot (for sale) older than X years? 10?

gmurphy
09-30-2014, 07:46 AM
I thought BMW dealers weren't allowed to have cars on the lot (for sale) older than X years? 10?

I've never heard that

az3579
09-30-2014, 08:18 AM

I've seen some older cars on BMW lots before. They just can't certify them.

derbo
09-30-2014, 09:20 AM
I've seen some older cars on BMW lots before. They just can't certify them.

A dealership can sell whatever the heck they want. BP is right. The CPO program can only be applied to a car that still has new car warranty, 4 years / 50K and there are numerous restrictions depending on the mileage and number of oil changes. Anything that is older that 4 years is basically a used car with no warranty. BMW San Francisco has sold numerous old 70s-80s cars when I was there in 2011.

Tnhl1989
09-30-2014, 09:20 AM
It's just that depending on the company there is a charge back for a car sitting to long. Other thing is that usually they go to the auction. Depends on the usedcar manager really.

cakM3
09-30-2014, 09:32 AM

My dealer is garbage.

I would have to agree Alexandre that your dealer is garbage.....

Yup, BS. Should not be fees for a loaner. Never seen a dealer do that.

+1
I dropped off my ///M today at the dealer for the airbag recall and got a 428xi loaner free of charge today :)

Edit: just picked up my ///M from the dealer. All is well in my ///M world for the time being :)

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/M3/atuby3er_zpscce0a990.jpg
Shows all the part numbers used for this recall.

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/M3/esasequv_zps0c3eee6d.jpg

Best part is that it's all done under warranty :thumbsup

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/M3/7e6u7a5e_zps83a910f3.jpg
A good dealer will always give you a loaner for free....

NoVAphotog
09-30-2014, 05:02 PM
A good dealer will always give you a loaner for free....

+1

Definitely would agree. Wasn't even a question at BMW of Sterling. I would report that dealer...sounds like a steaming pile of CCV puss to me.

Rice Picker
10-01-2014, 04:46 PM
I just had my car in the Dealer here in Canada to have to recall done. For those who are not the "Original Owner" here is how I got the confirmation.

I was able to go into BMW.ca under the heading "My Car" typed in the Vin:#, a gray box opened up and I clicked Recall/Warranty. Confirmed my car required the recall. ( I am not the original owner )

Some of you were concerned about the dash trim getting damaged. I would say not to Worry, speak from being a Service Advisor & Customer.

If we break a part while performing a Warranty Repair. The damaged part/s would either be covered by the Manufacture or the Dealership.
See they broke my trim while doing the recall. The BMW Service Advisor apologized for the inconvenience and advised me a "New" trim is on order for replacement. Free of Charge.
Hope this will help those of you who are worried about Shop Damage.

ELCID86
10-01-2014, 04:49 PM
How the heck can the deal break the dash trim?!

E_Rak
10-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Shawn, probably the same way anyone else would! Even if you've done it a million times you might still get that one sticky tab that refuses to budge and breaks off!

derbo
10-01-2014, 05:09 PM
Shawn, probably the same way anyone else would! Even if you've done it a million times you might still get that one sticky tab that refuses to budge and breaks off!

I must figure out how to remove my dash trim and get rid of all the JB weld so it looks like they break it when I go in. LOL

gmurphy
10-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Got mine replaced. Only took 45mins

ItsMeScottG
10-01-2014, 06:00 PM

I personally work for a dealership and have worked for a few over the years. A dealership can choose what cars it has in it's "used car lot". Now that being said, many dealers don't keep older card because they tend to have more costly issues that need to be repaired in order to resell it to a customer. I know that at my dealership when I look at a car and inspect it's condition, my job is to inform the used car department of any issues that the car has if any and give them prices on how much they will have to pay me to fix the issues before the car can be sold. When the repair cost are high, or wen the yet a car that doesn't have a decent market for a quick sale, they tend to auction it off rather than sell it on the lot.

Demographics has a lot to do with this process. If the dealership is in an area that has a good general income, dealers often opt to only sell newer cars on their lot because there's more of a market for newer cars in the given location.

I personally work for GM dealerships, however, these same techniques apply to 99% of the dealerships out there.

ItsMeScottG
10-01-2014, 06:03 PM
I would also like to say that I bought my e46 at a local Porsche dealership with 144k on it at the time of purchase and it was 10years old (my car is a 2005).

Oli77
10-01-2014, 06:45 PM
^ that's good info and likely the case at the BMW dealership I was at. Just not a single e46 for sale, area is pretty well off and people are buying newer cars.

When I went to that dealership about 6 years ago to help me find a manual e46, they took my info down and never got back in touch with me. One of the rare cases when the car salesman does not call you back repeatedly. I was surprised there was not a national network to help locate a manual e46.

mLuMaN83
10-01-2014, 07:01 PM
I have not had a chance to get with the dealer about mine yet. I got the letter 3 weeks ago. I gotta get it in in the next couple of weeks. Just so limited on time and when I do get a little time to myself, I'm on the water fishing or on the golf course.

I may give them a call and see about the loaner situation. I might be able to drop it off in the AM and get back to classes and pick up in the evening.

az3579
10-02-2014, 03:40 AM
I must figure out how to remove my dash trim and get rid of all the JB weld so it looks like they break it when I go in. LOL

Yeah, good luck with that. :rofl

ELCID86
10-02-2014, 01:35 PM
I have an appt at BMW Alex, VA for Sat. a.m after a college alumni breakfast up that way. Dealer confirmed parts and loaner are available.

derbo
10-02-2014, 03:10 PM
Yeah, good luck with that. :rofl

Yea probably wont fly at all. LOL

Tnhl1989
10-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Yeah mine is the same way. Trying to see if I put it back on and if he gets warranty if it breaks again. Don't think that would be possible though.

Simmsled
10-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Have my recall appt next Friday.
Got a 'loaner'. Likely a 328xi.
The local dealership, pretty sure, has likely never seen a RWD BMW.
Hopefully they don't screw anything up.

Rice Picker
10-02-2014, 08:02 PM
Manufactures and Dealer will replace item/s free of charge if they break it while performing a warranty repair. It's called "Consequential Damage" due to warranty. I had the Air Bag replaced on Wednesday. Sure as Day Light, they broke my trim. So they ordered a new replacement part, and will call me when it arrives.

Hope it will put you at ease.

ELCID86
10-03-2014, 11:18 AM
Interesting back and forth with my dealer. (Read from bottom up). BTW, Colin called BMW of Charleston, SC and they told him he could not get a loaner as it would not take very long...

//////////email/////////////
David Cornnell wrote:

Well it’s no ZHP but they are 2015 3’s, 5’s, and X1’s….

Take care!

Dave
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2014 2:49 PM
To: David Cornnell
Subject: Re: recall appt scheduled for 10/4/14 @ 10:30am

OK, great. See you tomorrow. I do need to have it back on Wed as I have paint work scheduled on Thursday.

I hope you'll save me a nice loaner as I'll be missing my ZHP I'm sure!

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 2:27 PM, David Cornnell wrote:
If you could drop the car off on Saturday that would be great. Barring any other parts logistics issues we should have it ready for you to pick back on Wednesday.

Thanks,

Dave

Sent: Friday, October 03, 2014 1:33 PM
To: David Cornnell
Subject: Re: recall appt scheduled for 10/4/14 @ 10:30am

Hi Dave, thank you for letting me know in a timely manner. That is unfortunate but I'm sure there are a ton of E46s you are servicing right now.

I could drop the car on Saturday and return the loaner on Wed morning. I won't be home until late on Tuesday evening (probably around 8pm) or you could drop the loaner to me on Monday morning (10/6) and pick it up on Wed morning 10/7). Again, I won't be home until late on Tuesday evening (probably around 8pm), but late Tue is an option for the swap-back also. I live in Stafford, VA.

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 11:31 AM,
Mr. Faherty,

I need to apologize to you. Unfortunately or stock replenishment didn’t arrive this morning and we have run out of airbags as of an hour ago. I have spoken to BMW and we are to receive 70 of these airbags in by Tuesday of next week.

I have two options for you that you could choose from.

1.Drop off your vehicle on Saturday as scheduled and receive a loaner and we will repair your vehicle once the part arrives.
2.I could bring a loaner to you and pick up your vehicle to have it serviced next week once the part arrives. If you would like I could also drop your vehicle back off to you once it’s finished and take back the loaner at that time.

Again….I’m extremely sorry for this inconvenience. We had 20 in stock yesterday evening and were expecting 70 more this morning so I figured you would have been all set for Saturday. Please let me know what works best for you and I will take care of it.

Respectfully,

Dave

fredo
10-03-2014, 11:29 AM
Grab the best one available ! :biggrin

ELCID86
10-03-2014, 11:44 AM
Grab the best one available ! :biggrin

X1? :dunno :biggrin

az3579
10-04-2014, 06:10 PM
X1? :dunno :biggrin

The X1 I had was nice, but... It was awkward driving a raised up car. It can't be called any kind of SAV...

The Oyster interior was gorgeous though!

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/04/d618ce3d45f91489f1a2b27f3c4c12f3.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/04/07fc1470e62c87c1493c34d11e26dd42.jpg

ELCID86
10-04-2014, 07:01 PM
They gave me this x-drive 328 which is sitting in my driveway as I head to SC on Amtrak.

I'll give my driving impressions later.

mLuMaN83
10-04-2014, 07:02 PM
I'm going to see if I can get an i8 as a loaner. We got one. I don't really see how that would be a problem...:dunno

derbo
10-04-2014, 08:59 PM
This has become a loaner thread now. :)

Hermes
10-04-2014, 09:25 PM
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/M3/atuby3er_zpscce0a990.jpg
Shows all the part numbers used for this recall.

Sweet! 51458146760 is broken on my car from when I swapped dashes

This has become a loaner thread now. :)

I'll take a CSL please ;)

danewilson77
10-05-2014, 04:05 AM
I'm going to see if I can get an i8 as a loaner. We got one. I don't really see how that would be a problem...:dunno

Don't bet on it.

mLuMaN83
10-05-2014, 05:03 AM
Don't bet on it.

But I'll ask them real nice?

mLuMaN83
10-06-2014, 06:26 AM
Having mine done Saturday. No loaners available. What a PIMA because I have to be at work this Saturday.

cakM3
10-06-2014, 06:41 AM
Got my ZHP scheduled for next Wednesday (15th) for the air bag SIB...

az3579
10-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Having mine done Saturday. No loaners available. What a PIMA because I have to be at work this Saturday.

You could just have it done on another day when a loaner is available... :dunno
I wouldn't leave without a loaner. Ain't nobody got time to sit around and wait. :)

cakM3
10-06-2014, 09:12 AM
You could just have it done on another day when a loaner is available... :dunno
I wouldn't leave without a loaner. Ain't nobody got time to sit around and wait. :)

I do.... :p

mLuMaN83
10-06-2014, 10:02 AM
Loaners were 3 weeks out. Not worth it. They said they'd have it done in under 2 hours so no biggie.

derbo
10-06-2014, 05:50 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/07/zy8uga2y.jpg

My old manager gave me this car as a loaner. :facepalm I was tempted to code random things to it for fun.

Dropped it off at 10am without an appt, got my car back at 4-5pm.

NorCalZman
10-06-2014, 05:54 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/07/zy8uga2y.jpg

My old manager gave me this car as a loaner. :facepalm I was tempted to code random things to it for fun.

Dropped it off at 10am without an appt, got my car back at 4-5pm.

Haha. Ok, so I WONT be taking my car to San Francisco BMW for the recall work.

derbo
10-06-2014, 05:56 PM
Haha. Ok, so I WONT be taking my car to San Francisco BMW for the recall work.

It was done at Weatherford BMW actually. My old manager is no longer working at BMWSF. The car was a trade-in and he wanted my input on what needs to be done. I didn't really care what I drove, I drive a Prius daily for godsake. LOL I'm not interested in the new cars anyways since the work was only less than an afternoon. Though he did say he is getting a 235i stick next week that I could take for a spin :)

NorCalZman
10-06-2014, 05:57 PM
If they tell me they can have it done in an hour or so I will just wait.

az3579
10-06-2014, 06:04 PM
You guys are complaining about getting an E46 for a loaner??? Really? lol
Better than the 320i's they hand out here...

derbo
10-06-2014, 06:06 PM
You guys are complaining about getting an E46 for a loaner??? Really? lol
Better than the 320i's they hand out here...

It is 2002 5spd 330i w/ 100k on it. It's not bad. I didn't mind, just laughing cause it had chrome wheels that I will sorely miss. hahaha

Tnhl1989
10-06-2014, 06:06 PM
take a 320 and code it with Sport Auto Transmission and that's all you need ;)

it will feel like a 328. That's what I just did with my brother's new car.

az3579
10-06-2014, 06:07 PM
The shame is that they are style 72's... how could they do that to such good looking wheels?? :(

az3579
10-06-2014, 06:08 PM
It is 2002 5spd 330i w/ 100k on it. It's not bad. I didn't mind, just laughing cause it had chrome wheels that I will sorely miss. hahaha

take a 320 and code it with Sport Auto Transmission and that's all you need ;)

it will feel like a 328. That's what I just did with my brother's new car.

Hmmmm! I didn't realize it was just a software thing to make the auto shift faster...

Johal E32
10-06-2014, 06:14 PM
It was done at Weatherford BMW actually. My old manager is no longer working at BMWSF. The car was a trade-in and he wanted my input on what needs to be done. I didn't really care what I drove, I drive a Prius daily for godsake. LOL I'm not interested in the new cars anyways since the work was only less than an afternoon. Though he did say he is getting a 235i stick next week that I could take for a spin :)

I had mine done at Weatherford too lol. They quoted me 235 for a coolant flush :0 LOLOLOL

stephenkirsh
10-06-2014, 07:05 PM
My dad bought his e60 530it from weatherford. I think he has mixed emotions about them. Funny he gave you a chromed out e46 as a loaner!

derbo
10-06-2014, 07:26 PM
My dad bought his e60 530it from weatherford. I think he has mixed emotions about them. Funny he gave you a chromed out e46 as a loaner!

How long ago was this? The thing is, it all really depends on who is managing the place. The car business has an incredible turnaround rate and it will leave different reputations on different people. Honestly all dealerships have bad blood in it and it's sucks when you are hit with one of them. I don't have sales experience with the weatherford team but my old preowned manager just recently moved there and He is the most down to earth honest guy I've worked for. Unfortunately I can't say that for almost 70% of the people I've worked with.

3ZHPGUY
10-07-2014, 06:58 AM
I just called the dealer on the other car and did ask about this. The reply was, their not expecting the parts for the recall till mid November.

stephenkirsh
10-07-2014, 07:40 AM
How long ago was this? The thing is, it all really depends on who is managing the place. The car business has an incredible turnaround rate and it will leave different reputations on different people. Honestly all dealerships have bad blood in it and it's sucks when you are hit with one of them. I don't have sales experience with the weatherford team but my old preowned manager just recently moved there and He is the most down to earth honest guy I've worked for. Unfortunately I can't say that for almost 70% of the people I've worked with.

Oh it's been a loooong time now. 5 years maybe.

I hear ya about the car industry. Owner of the company I bought my car from last year showed up at my work last week to threaten me with legal action if I don't take down the bad yelp review I left them...

ELCID86
10-09-2014, 10:38 AM
As I had to leave town to be with my mom who had a stroke, I left the loaner in the driveway and sent an email to the Service Department Manager at BMW of Alexandria, VA. He told me not to worry about it and personally drove my car back to my house and picked up the loaner. He also brought some parts I had ordered and had planned to pick up when I fetched my car.

After texting me that my "baby" was "safe and sound" back at the house, he went on to say "I enjoyed driving it more that this loaner" --to which I am in total agreement and "I've got an E34 and E39. I love older. Definitely drivers..."

slater
10-09-2014, 11:30 AM
sorry to hear about your mom, shawn - i hope she gets well soon!

good stuff about the service manager - that's good service!

peter