PDA

View Full Version : What diff bushing to go with?

stephenkirsh
08-01-2015, 10:31 AM
I think I've decided to go with OEM rubber for the two smaller bushings and poly for the main rear bushing. What to get? My #1 priority is durability since I don't want to have to do this again in 75k.

ECST sells the purple powerflex bushing for about $50. How's that one?

Vas
08-01-2015, 12:30 PM
Majority of places sell them as a fill set of 3.

I'm going to go with the akg units.

rkneeshaw
08-01-2015, 06:27 PM
Powerflex are bought as either the front diff bushings (pair) or rear diff bushing.

I've heard conflicting reports. Some say they hear a little gear noise or vibration with poly diff bushings, others say they don't notice any difference in NVH at all.

Whammy
08-02-2015, 06:41 AM
Meyle HD Rear Diff Bushings

ELCID86
08-02-2015, 11:09 AM
Meyle HD Rear Diff Bushings

I'm not a fan of Meyle since I had FCABs from them fall apart after a few months.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

stephenkirsh
08-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Yea I've heard their quality has vanished in the last year or two.

Vas
08-04-2015, 05:03 AM
Now who has the tool to remove the bushings from the subframe?

I know I can get to them but got a feeling removing them from the subframe will be a pita.

NoVAphotog
08-04-2015, 05:08 AM
Now who has the tool to remove the bushings from the subframe?

I know I can get to them but got a feeling removing them from the subframe will be a pita.

Yes. It will. Sockethead and I both agree there is no way without a special tool or removing the subframe itself. That thing is wedged in there and the sway bar hangar is RIGHT behind it blocking access.

Vas
08-04-2015, 05:12 AM
You were not able to replace your bushings when doing the diff install correct? I just placed an order for the AKG diff bushings.

Vas
08-07-2015, 12:58 PM
My AKG poly bushings arrived. Install towards the end of the month.

Sockethead
08-07-2015, 06:46 PM
We couldn't replace his bushing in the time frame we had. He drove up from NoVa to Jersey on a Friday night and we did the diff on Saturday. There is no room to get a standard ball joint press in there. The home made thing using threaded rod and a pipe flange was a joke. The flange bent like it was made of pot metal. It would have to be a bigger rod and 1/4" steel plate to be effective. I had the tools and the equipment to make something like that but no steel. by then it was already getting late in the day... We couldn't risk experimenting and failing because he had to be back home.
Some have used a sawzall or a drill to remove to rubber part then beaten cut and banged the remaining shell out
This is one instance where buying, borrowing or renting the proper tool may be worth it.

Vas
08-07-2015, 07:11 PM
I will be renting the two tools to do it

Sockethead
08-08-2015, 05:44 AM
I will be renting the two tools to do it
Can you post a picture of the two tools when you do the job? I'd like to see what they look like...

UdubBadger
08-09-2015, 05:44 AM
I'd go oem or oem replacement on the diff all day. That's one you don't want too much NVH on.

GoingHAM mobile

Vas
08-09-2015, 06:17 AM
I'd go oem or oem replacement on the diff all day. That's one you don't want too much NVH on.

GoingHAM mobile
Only problem is the rubber will crack again. The rubber bushings are cheap to buy but instal might be costly.

UdubBadger
08-09-2015, 09:02 AM
That is very true. Maybe just go with the softest thing you can find that will last he longest.

GoingHAM mobile

Vas
08-09-2015, 09:57 AM
The akg bushings I bought state that they are for acceptable for street use. Guess i will find out.

Johal E32
08-09-2015, 11:59 AM
Stick to stock, look at how long they lasted? 10 years or so, seems like a pretty good lifespan to me!

Vas
08-09-2015, 12:16 PM
Stick to stock, look at how long they lasted? 10 years or so, seems like a pretty good lifespan to me!
75,000 to 85,000 miles is the lifespan usually.

NoVAphotog
08-09-2015, 02:02 PM
Can you post a picture of the two tools when you do the job? I'd like to see what they look like...

+1

Curious as well. If they make it that much smoother, Vas, might be renting them as well down the line.

Vas
08-09-2015, 02:28 PM
+1

Curious as well. If they make it that much smoother, Vas, might be renting them as well down the line.
Renting them is cheap I think. Kinda excited to get under the car and get this done.

az3579
08-09-2015, 05:14 PM
75,000 to 85,000 miles is the lifespan usually.
Totally depends on driving style. The smoother your driving style the longer they'll last.

Mine made it to 184k on the OE bushings. Since I bought my car at 75k, I can either assume that the previous owners were nice and smooth or that I squeezed out whatever life they had left. Either way, I'm not complaining. :)

sent from my Droid Turbo

Vas
08-09-2015, 06:41 PM
Man i am kinda thinking of returning the akg poly bushings and going with oe rubber. Having some doubts about noise.

UdubBadger
08-09-2015, 08:27 PM
Akg is baller don't get me wrong but you'll notice it doesn't exactly drive like a comfy daily anymore

GoingHAM mobile

BMWCurves
08-09-2015, 09:07 PM
Man i am kinda thinking of returning the akg poly bushings and going with oe rubber. Having some doubts about noise.

When I get around to replacing bushings I'm planning on going with M3 rubber bushings pretty much everywhere. I'm not big on NVH and doubt I'd need the added longevity or performance/stiffness of poly.

Vas
08-10-2015, 04:30 AM
Akg is baller don't get me wrong but you'll notice it doesn't exactly drive like a comfy daily anymore

GoingHAM mobile
That i understand but to what extent is the comfort compromised? Are they to the point where all you hear is constant whine and the gears engaging and wish you stuck to rubber ?

UdubBadger
08-10-2015, 05:06 AM
AKG poly 95a is very mild but I would say your butt will feel it most. You might also notice that non perfect roads let you "feel" them a little more. Maybe I notice because of HOW bad our roads here are but it really can change depending on how your car is set up. Coilovers and poly bushings, expect to feel the road more. If you're on oem suspension it might be a lot less. I'd say the M3 rubber would be a great compromise in slight upgrade in performance but not so much that you feel like the car is always riding on a cheese grater surface. However those are rubber and will fail eventually. You can always just try the poly first and if it's too much then swap for oem rubber.

GoingHAM mobile

Vas
08-10-2015, 05:34 AM
The car already has a set of Poly fcab from akg and m3 engine and Trans mounts. Plus a set of bilstein coilovers are on the list for it and it's got an exhaust.

I'm more worried about diff whine and clunking sounds. Plus other parts wearing out faster

az3579
08-10-2015, 05:50 AM
That i understand but to what extent is the comfort compromised? Are they to the point where all you hear is constant whine and the gears engaging and wish you stuck to rubber ?

It really isn't that bad. The whine isn't audible 90% of the time.
The gears engaging sound takes a little getting used to. That is one thing that I wish wasn't there, but I've adjusted my driving style to minimize the noise as much as I can. To me, for longevity, it's worth it. Plus, it reminds me of how my E30 was, a car that I absolutely loved.

Plus other parts wearing out faster

What do you mean by 'other' parts wearing out faster?

stephenkirsh
08-10-2015, 07:07 AM

I'm pretty sure it was cracked when I bought the car. Also, my roads are very bad around here, so rubber doesn't even last that long. My transmission mounts were completely separated. Completely.

That is very true. Maybe just go with the softest thing you can find that will last he longest.

GoingHAM mobile

That's what I'm trying to do, but doesn't seem like there's many options.

What do people think of power flex?

Sockethead
08-10-2015, 07:44 AM
You can use m3 bushings pretty much everywhere except the diff. M3 uses 4 mounting points to eliminate the twisting problem of the single bushing in the back on our cars. Rubber doesn't like to be twisted and that's what's occurring with that bushing. Torque twists the diff.

Personally I don't want to make my car anymore "race ready" than it already is. Except for UUC rubber trans bushings and M3 trailing arm bushings, all bushing are still stock. The Bilstiens are already on my last nerve driving the car daily on shitty NJ roads.

I think you gotta ask yourself, How often am I going to see the track? for me, although I'd love to get my car on the track every weekend, the last time was 4 years ago... a stiffer bushing will take some of the windup out of the drivetrain, for me it's just not worth it.

NoVAphotog
08-10-2015, 08:02 AM
Personally I don't want to make my car anymore "race ready" than it already is. The Bilstiens are already on my last nerve driving the car daily on shitty Mid-Atlantic to Northeastern** roads.

I think you gotta ask yourself, How often am I going to see the track?[/B]

100% Agree. Someone I know said it best the other day during a discussion about this item and suspension "upgrades."

"When I bought this car...stock, it was the best handling car I'd ever driven." - R.P.

Vas
08-10-2015, 08:36 AM
Slight improvements are okay I think. Ones that make it better without ruining the car. For example the m3 engine and Trans mounts.

I think the best option when upgrading stuff is to go with m3 bushings where possible and keep the rubber. Sure it won't last as long but that's a compromise.

Sockethead
08-10-2015, 08:40 AM
100% Agree. Someone I know said it best the other day during a discussion about this item and suspension "upgrades."

"When I bought this car...stock, it was the best handling car I'd ever driven." - R.P.
Lol I did say that didn't I

Slight improvements are okay I think. Ones that make it better without ruining the car. For example the m3 engine and Trans mounts.

I think the best option when upgrading stuff is to go with m3 bushings where possible and keep the rubber. Sure it won't last as long but that's a compromise.
Agreed :thumbsup

UdubBadger
08-10-2015, 12:09 PM
You can use m3 bushings pretty much everywhere except the diff. M3 uses 4 mounting points to eliminate the twisting problem of the single bushing in the back on our cars. Rubber doesn't like to be twisted and that's what's occurring with that bushing. Torque twists the diff.

Personally I don't want to make my car anymore "race ready" than it already is. Except for UUC rubber trans bushings and M3 trailing arm bushings, all bushing are still stock. The Bilstiens are already on my last nerve driving the car daily on shitty NJ roads.

I think you gotta ask yourself, How often am I going to see the track? for me, although I'd love to get my car on the track every weekend, the last time was 4 years ago... a stiffer bushing will take some of the windup out of the drivetrain, for me it's just not worth it.

Hmmmm....

My diff has only 3. 1 front, 2 rear and the rears are attached to the cover.

I agree about how much tracking is done for sure though. Why subject yourself to the torture if it is only on a track 4-5 times a year but on the streets 360 days a year.

GoingHAM mobile

Sockethead
08-10-2015, 12:41 PM
yea, you're right about the M3 diff, sorry for the misinformation...

UdubBadger
08-10-2015, 04:33 PM
Hahah ok good wanted to make sure mine wasn't missing one! Lol

GoingHAM mobile

az3579
08-10-2015, 06:07 PM
I agree about how much tracking is done for sure though. Why subject yourself to the torture if it is only on a track 4-5 times a year but on the streets 360 days a year.

Torture? Huh???
The poly diff bushings are more than streetable... I drive 30k a year, I would know. lmao

UdubBadger
08-10-2015, 06:08 PM
You know what I mean BP

GoingHAM mobile

az3579
08-10-2015, 06:13 PM
You know what I mean BP

GoingHAM mobile

I guess... I just didn't want people getting the wrong idea that the poly bushings are unbearable. :dunno

UdubBadger
08-10-2015, 06:52 PM
Haha no worries, most here know I have a flair for the dramatic.

GoingHAM mobile

az3579
08-11-2015, 03:31 AM
Haha no worries, most here know I have a flair for the dramatic.

GoingHAM mobile

You certainly have flair. :biggrin

UdubBadger
08-11-2015, 05:10 AM
Hahaha

GoingHAM mobile

stephenkirsh
08-17-2015, 07:27 PM
Ok I'm thinking I'll go OE. How are lemforder bushings?

Vas
08-17-2015, 07:38 PM
I just got my OE bushings. Waiting to install them

Sockethead
08-18-2015, 06:53 AM
Lemforder is fine. It's just Meyle you want to stay away from now...