PDA

View Full Version : BMW Paint

Fried_Chicken
08-24-2015, 06:35 AM
Where can I get Imola Red paint for my car?
I need to fix my trunk which has peeled and faded really badly.

I have never attempted any project like this before, but my friend is repainting his car, and I feel this is an opportunity to save a lot of money and do it myself.

az3579
08-24-2015, 07:46 AM
Where can I get Imola Red paint for my car?
I need to fix my trunk which has peeled and faded really badly.

I have never attempted any project like this before, but my friend is repainting his car, and I feel this is an opportunity to save a lot of money and do it myself.

While a paint shop may be able to mix the paint for you, take into account that the paint will probably not match the rest of your car due to fading from the sun. You should have a body shop try to color match the rest of your car when they mix the paint.

Vas
08-24-2015, 08:05 AM
Not sure if local body shops will mix and sell paint directly to the public especially in California. However an automotive paint store should be able to mix you paint in a pint or quart size. Just provide them with your paint code.

However for the paint to match the rest of the car, you will have to blend it into the quarter panels.

And you will also have to buy clear coat and the rest of the materials to get the job done. Plus having a paint gun and a place to paint it all come into consideration.

Basically if you are new to this, have a body shop do it for you IMO.

KevinC
08-24-2015, 08:26 AM
While a paint shop may be able to mix the paint for you, take into account that the paint will probably not match the rest of your car due to fading from the sun. You should have a body shop try to color match the rest of your car when they mix the paint.

+1 - especially with Iola. It will look horrible if not color-matched. I'd find a local shop to match and paint it, rather than attempt yourself, for this reason. Just painting the trunk shouldn't be too expensive.

az3579
08-24-2015, 09:20 AM
Basically if you are new to this, have a body shop do it for you IMO.

This. Unless you're a professional with all the right equipment, it will not come out to the quality you expect it.
Professionals use paint guns, paint booths with advance ventilation/filtration systems, and years of know-how in preparing the surface for the perfect paint job.

Fried_Chicken
08-24-2015, 09:26 AM
Any idea on the cost of painting just the trunk? I just got a quote of $130 (!!!) for a pint of color matched paint.

fredo
08-24-2015, 09:45 AM
No clue about painting just the trunk. The other day I asked my body shop for an estimate to paint and fix my bumper. It was $300 ... I know it's not a valid comparison but that's what I can share.

Vas
08-24-2015, 09:50 AM
Any idea on the cost of painting just the trunk? I just got a quote of $130 (!!!) for a pint of color matched paint.

That is the cost of Imola paint. It is about $8 for an ounce of paint.

My body shop guy charges $250 per panel ( fix any damage and paint it) If you are blending so it matches, it does bring up the cost.

Advice here is to visit a couple of body shop guys and get quotes.

yura
08-24-2015, 10:18 AM
Do not attempt this yourself. I repeat: DO NOT attempt this yourself.

If you've ever done drywall, you know it's a dark art. Painting cars isn't a dark art, it's the damn black hole sucking everything in and giving you nothing back.

Pay a professional and you'll only cry once.

ELCID86
08-24-2015, 02:44 PM

If you've ever done drywall, you know it's a dark art. Painting cars isn't a dark art, it's the damn black hole sucking everything in and giving you nothing back.

LOL. Good advice.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

danewilson77
08-24-2015, 05:00 PM

Word

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk