PDA

View Full Version : I never introduced myself. I'm TitanZHP

TitanZHP
08-25-2015, 12:14 PM
Hello I'm a Nissan/Infiniti tech. I'm an autocross nut and general car nut. I bought my 2004 ZHP in Titan silver metallic a month ago with 85,xxx on the clock. It has KW V2 coil overs, CCW race wheels, pilot super sport tires, and I love it. This is my second BMW and I can't get enough of this one. I'm moving to westminister CO in two months. A new adventure. Hello everyone. If anyone needs help with a Nissan or Infiniti or BMW let me know. I can also scan cars with a BMW code reader if you are close in northern CA.

ELCID86
08-25-2015, 12:24 PM
Welcome and congrats.

Vas
08-25-2015, 12:27 PM
Welcome

cakM3
08-25-2015, 12:30 PM
Welcome fellow TiAg owner :thumbsup Your ZHP looks great!

ecrabb
08-25-2015, 02:22 PM
Welcome to the ZHP club! I just got an '04 Titanium Silver vert a couple of months ago and like you, love it very much.

Since you're a Nissan/Infiniti tech and you offered <evil grin>... Question for you. I'll try to make the background really short, then ask the question.

TL;DR: Skip to last paragraph.

My wife's DD is a 2012 Altima S. A few months ago at about 58,000 miles, the brake light started coming on. It was due for an oil change anyway, so we took it in and found out the master cylinder was leaking into the booster. On a 3-4 year old car with less than 60k miles. $650 to replace. I was a little annoyed so I told them to hold off. Went back and did some research and found out it was a common issue, there was a tech bulletin and even a voluntary service campaign (http://www.nissanassist.com/web/AltimaBrakeSystem/ProgramDetails.php?menu=51) that appears to cover ALL 07-12 Altimas. Sweet!

So, I engaged with Nissan Customer Relations, gave them all the relevant info including VIN, age, one-owner car, etc. and they called back a few days later and said my car wasn't included in the campaign. The CSR was a total robot, incapable of answering anything "off-script" about why my car wasn't included, and why none of the service campaign information made any exceptions, i.e. it was all-inclusive. I got nowhere and gave up.

So, I wrote a very polite and professional "I'm not too happy" email to Nissan, and received a call back a few days later that was nearly a carbon copy of the first, almost like we'd never spoken, informing me that my car wasn't included in the campaign. Again, totally on-script. It was even the same CSR, but it was like he had no idea we'd spoken once already. It was bizarre.

So, I wrote another polite and professional email to Nissan, but this time informing them that because I was now questioning the quality of Nissan parts and engineering, but more importantly because of how they'd handled the situation, that even though we were on our second Nissan and are considering replacing the Altima, that now it would almost certainly not be a Nissan or Infiniti product. I then received yet another call, again from the CSR, who again sounded like we'd never spoken. When I pressed this time, again asking how it's possible that the voluntary service campaign made no exceptions, that even though the service campaign explicitly talks about reimbursing for repairs done out of warranty, that somehow my wife's car was mysteriously excepted... The best he could do was suggest that maybe if I went ahead with the repairs and submitted them, that perhaps they may reimburse me for the repairs per the campaign.

I've had it at this point. We're replacing the Altima. We were going to trade it to a car dealer and not care, but it sounds like I found a nice clean X3 to replace it for my wife's driver, which means we'll be selling the Altima privately, which means I need to fix the master cylinder.

Finally... To the question...

Seems like the master cylinder OE part is around $250-300. I'm a fairly technical guy, comfortable with repairs and maintenance... Been around cars my whole life, but never messed with brakes other than replacing pads. Given that I'm selling the car, is it something I can/should do myself, or should I suck it up and let a shop do it so I have documentation and no liability? If you don't think I should do it, should I go indy shop to save some cash, or Nissan dealer?

Sorry for the long email... Feels good to get it off my chest. ;)

Thanks!!!

Cheers,
SC

BMWCurves
08-25-2015, 04:51 PM
Congrats on the car, welcome to the forum, and good luck on the move!

Oli77
08-25-2015, 05:00 PM
Beauty! My son recently hydrolocked his G20, no more Infiniti for us.

Vas
08-25-2015, 05:18 PM
Beauty! My son recently hydrolocked his G20, no more Infiniti for us.
I had a 2002 infiniti g20 and loved that car.

danewilson77
08-26-2015, 03:05 AM
Welcome

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

TitanZHP
08-26-2015, 08:24 AM
Thanks everyone! Happy to be here

TitanZHP
08-26-2015, 08:30 AM
Welcome to the ZHP club! I just got an '04 Titanium Silver vert a couple of months ago and like you, love it very much.

Since you're a Nissan/Infiniti tech and you offered <evil grin>... Question for you. I'll try to make the background really short, then ask the question.

TL;DR: Skip to last paragraph.

My wife's DD is a 2012 Altima S. A few months ago at about 58,000 miles, the brake light started coming on. It was due for an oil change anyway, so we took it in and found out the master cylinder was leaking into the booster. On a 3-4 year old car with less than 60k miles. $650 to replace. I was a little annoyed so I told them to hold off. Went back and did some research and found out it was a common issue, there was a tech bulletin and even a voluntary service campaign (http://www.nissanassist.com/web/AltimaBrakeSystem/ProgramDetails.php?menu=51) that appears to cover ALL 07-12 Altimas. Sweet!

FontSize

So, I engaged with Nissan Customer Relations, gave them all the relevant info including VIN, age, one-owner car, etc. and they called back a few days later and said my car wasn't included in the campaign. The CSR was a total robot, incapable of answering anything "off-script" about why my car wasn't included, and why none of the service campaign information made any exceptions, i.e. it was all-inclusive. I got nowhere and gave up.

So, I wrote a very polite and professional "I'm not too happy" email to Nissan, and received a call back a few days later that was nearly a carbon copy of the first, almost like we'd never spoken, informing me that my car wasn't included in the campaign. Again, totally on-script. It was even the same CSR, but it was like he had no idea we'd spoken once already. It was bizarre.

So, I wrote another polite and professional email to Nissan, but this time informing them that because I was now questioning the quality of Nissan parts and engineering, but more importantly because of how they'd handled the situation, that even though we were on our second Nissan and are considering replacing the Altima, that now it would almost certainly not be a Nissan or Infiniti product. I then received yet another call, again from the CSR, who again sounded like we'd never spoken. When I pressed this time, again asking how it's possible that the voluntary service campaign made no exceptions, that even though the service campaign explicitly talks about reimbursing for repairs done out of warranty, that somehow my wife's car was mysteriously excepted... The best he could do was suggest that maybe if I went ahead with the repairs and submitted them, that perhaps they may reimburse me for the repairs per the campaign.

I've had it at this point. We're replacing the Altima. We were going to trade it to a car dealer and not care, but it sounds like I found a nice clean X3 to replace it for my wife's driver, which means we'll be selling the Altima privately, which means I need to fix the master cylinder.

Finally... To the question...

Seems like the master cylinder OE part is around $250-300. I'm a fairly technical guy, comfortable with repairs and maintenance... Been around cars my whole life, but never messed with brakes other than replacing pads. Given that I'm selling the car, is it something I can/should do myself, or should I suck it up and let a shop do it so I have documentation and no liability? If you don't think I should do it, should I go indy shop to save some cash, or Nissan dealer?

Sorry for the long email... Feels good to get it off my chest. ;)

Thanks!!!

Cheers,
SC

I'm really sorry this happened to you. We don't get a ton of nissans in just because we got that dealer a year ago we mainly do infinitis. I would take it to a shop. It's a tight squeeze to do yourself and easy to break off parts in the area. Plus if you are going to sell it depending on the state u could be liable for the repair if something happens to the new owner. You could take it to an independent shop u trust if you want to save a bit. But make sure you get a receipt saying they changed it so they are liable if something happens. If you have further questions you can PM me. Sorry again and good luck

Campster23
08-26-2015, 11:31 AM
Welcome! Newish member of the club myself! Great club to be a part of here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TitanZHP
08-26-2015, 11:41 AM
Thanks! Bunch of very nice people from what I can tell

NoVAphotog
08-26-2015, 11:45 AM
Thanks! Bunch of very nice people from what I can tell

The best Welcome! Gorgeous coupe!!

johnrando
08-28-2015, 06:34 AM
Yup, welcome and congrats!

fredo
08-28-2015, 07:41 AM
Welcome, you will love this forum.

ecrabb
08-29-2015, 06:39 AM
If you have further questions you can PM me. Sorry again and good luck

Thanks for the info! Pretty much how I was thinking, so the advice is much appreciated. Sorry to clutter up your welcome thread!

Regards,
SC

3ZHPGUY
08-29-2015, 08:46 PM
Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derbo
08-29-2015, 09:01 PM
Welcome local ZHP owner! :)

Mike V
09-08-2015, 10:43 AM
Welcome! Assuming you have/had a Titan too? We bought a new one in 2006 and sold it late 2010. That was a great truck, except for the interior falling apart. We decided to sell it since it was just more than we needed. We've had an 02 X5 ever since, for the wife's daily and for me to pull the trailer around when I need to. The best thing is it takes up much less space in the garage.

TitanZHP
09-08-2015, 03:08 PM
No I had a tundra. The color of my e46 is Titan silver

Whammy
10-03-2015, 04:18 PM
Welcome!