PDA

View Full Version : H & R OE Sport Vs Sport

3ZHPGUY
03-12-2011, 02:28 PM
I need to replace my struts this season and will most likely go with Koni Sports. My reasons are, adjust-ability and lower cost. I'm also debating on changing out the springs and looking for input from those of you that have done this. H & R looks to be the best choice . My debate is over "H & R OE Sport" or just "H & R Sport".

How does the "OE Sport" ride height compare with ZHP OEM? Are ZHP OEM Springs different then Sport Springs? Replacements never mention anything about ZHP or Sport suspension being special. The ZHP is already lowered, what issues will I have if I drop it further going with the "H & R Sports"? Will I get anything more then a LOOK out of going with the Sports? I know the spring rate is the same and just a height difference but, my fear is bottoming out and winter drive ability.This is my daily driver 365 days a year and it snows a lot around here. I have done both Auto Cross and HPDE and will continue.

Thanks for your input

Mtnman
03-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Lance Has the H and R sport springs with the rest of his setup being oem. He can help you with some of this. I know that the h and r sport springs lower the rear by 1/4 inch and the front 3/4 inch. it looks great on lances and i am jealous. it rides just like mine still (at least in normal driving to the grocery store, which is as far as I drove his car.)

3ZHPGUY
03-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks, that sounds better than I anticipated, H & R sates 1.5-1.8 lowering". From what your saying, it's only half of that.

Mtnman
03-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Yeah, you have to look at the measurements for the sport package, not the standard 3 series. it has a separate column or number somewhere showing that sport packages (like ours) are already lower...so the changes are not as dramatic

pyreguy
03-12-2011, 03:49 PM
H&R makes two "sport" setups. One for stock BMW suspension, and one for BMW sport suspension (ZHP and ZSP)

Get the latter and you will be happy. Or a set of quality coilovers and call it a day.

The H&R sports are awesome though. I love them.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

3ZHPGUY
03-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks, So then, no issues with being to low, bottoming out, speed bumps ex..? Have you done any track or x-croos with them yet?

pyreguy
03-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Nope. No issues. I actually like the way it rides better than stock.

And no, I haven't taken it on a course or a track.... :biggrin

adb1028
03-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Won't H&R springs on OEM suspension blow the shocks and destroy ride quality?

kpro
03-12-2011, 11:35 PM
I recently installed the h& r race springs and I love them. It lowered my sport package car about an 1" all around. 1.1" front and .9" in the rear. The ride isn't too bad at all either. I will try to post a pic or two tomorrow. If you're trying to save some money, at least replace the rears struts.

pyreguy
03-13-2011, 06:51 AM
Won't H&R springs on OEM suspension blow the shocks and destroy ride quality?

It wont destroy the shocks per se , bit it will wear them quicker. I wouldn't recommend this for a higher mileage car, but I had less than 50k on the car when I installed the springs. I will eventually need shocks anyway.

danewilson77
03-13-2011, 06:51 AM
Kristen..I would be curious to know your measurements..............................from the top fender well to center of rim. Post it up in the wheels section. I think we have a fitment or stance thread....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Mtnman
03-13-2011, 07:53 AM
Yeah. Lance, you too. The half ass effort you made last time won't do.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

danewilson77
03-13-2011, 07:57 AM
:rofl

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

pyreguy
03-13-2011, 02:42 PM
I completely forgot. I will shoot for maybe next weekend. Gotta clean out the trunk (full of kids stuff) and put the correct amount of gas (gotta go look up what that amount is) and go get my tape. These things take time :biggrin

kaboom
03-13-2011, 10:44 PM
I recently installed the h& r race springs and I love them. It lowered my sport package car about an 1" all around. 1.1" front and .9" in the rear. The ride isn't too bad at all either. I will try to post a pic or two tomorrow. If you're trying to save some money, at least replace the rears struts.

How would you say the ride compares to stock?

Ian

Johnmadd
03-14-2011, 09:02 PM
I have the sports and they are not even bad, my e30 will give you a pinched nerve in your back, but hey, who cares?