PDA

View Full Version : DME Dinan reflash?

JanMatt
09-01-2015, 08:04 AM
Hey guys,

I have the jutter at about 2.5-3K. I was hoping to do a DME flash to fix it. Check engine light turned on and so i got the stealership to run a diagnostic on it just to be safe. and No mention of a disa valve. They did say that the jutter was from the software, but they can't update it because it has dinan software. I don't know why the previous owner would do this as the only dinan part installed is an intake. So when I go into an indy shop can they just flash on the stock? Is a dinan reflash going to cost more -_-? Pretty noob at this.

Thanks for the help!

ELCID86
09-01-2015, 08:06 AM
I'd recommend unplugging the DISA wire and seeing if the stutter goes away. It did for me.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

slater
09-01-2015, 08:29 AM
the stutter is due to old pre-cat O2 sensors, i am pretty sure - i get a random CEL from it, usually after the stuttering happens under any kind of load.

unplugging the DISA definitely didn't remove that for me, but it did remove the 4k dip - and a bunch of low-end torque. :)

i've got 2 new pre-cat O2 sensors waiting to go in. i have the conforti/shark tune. will reset the faults in the DME after install and will see what happens.

peter

ELCID86
09-01-2015, 09:03 AM
New pre-cat O2 sensors didn't fix my stutter. Hope it works for you.

slater
09-01-2015, 10:01 AM
New pre-cat O2 sensors didn't fix my stutter. Hope it works for you.

bummer. if it doesn't then i'm going to have the DME reflashed with the latest BMW software.

peter

ELCID86
09-01-2015, 10:05 AM
bummer. if it doesn't then i'm going to have the DME reflashed with the latest BMW software.

peter

That was (is?) my next step too. Car actually is running pretty well. Need to do VANOS and a few other things.

JanMatt
09-01-2015, 06:02 PM
I'd recommend unplugging the DISA wire and seeing if the stutter goes away. It did for me.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

How far can I drive with it unplugged? I work like 25 miles away lol. I tried it around the neighborhood but didn't get to try it on 5th and 6th gear for safety reasons. 4th gear is def much better without the jutter. 3rd is still kinda there.. will double check.

danewilson77
09-02-2015, 03:46 AM
How far can I drive with it unplugged? I work like 25 miles away lol. I tried it around the neighborhood but didn't get to try it on 5th and 6th gear for safety reasons. 4th gear is def much better without the jutter. 3rd is still kinda there.. will double check.
No mileage limit.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

ELCID86
09-02-2015, 06:54 AM
^ what the Boss said. I left mine off for a few weeks. Then plugged it back in after the car was running better--don't ask me why...

JanMatt
09-02-2015, 07:28 AM
Sadly, it is still there with the DISA unplugged. Which possible part can I/should I try to diagnose next? Guibo? reflash? O2 sensors(no CEL from it tho)?

stealership said tank vent valve could could contribute to it, but haven't seen anything about that anywhere

ELCID86
09-02-2015, 05:48 PM
Sorry. Worth a try... I'd probably go pre-cat O2 sensors. You can buy the two cheaper ones as the only difference found is the color of the cable.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

JanMatt
10-15-2015, 05:46 AM
Sorry. Worth a try... I'd probably go pre-cat O2 sensors. You can buy the two cheaper ones as the only difference found is the color of the cable.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

Just wanted to say I replaced the pre-cat O2 sensors and the jutter is now gone! In retrospect, I had the check engine light on, and one of the codes for P1189 and P1188. I don't know why the stealership didn't recommend changing them when I got my diagnostic through them. Anyway, add me to the non-dme reflash group for jutter fix but Thanks again Shawn!

slater
10-15-2015, 05:56 AM
Just wanted to say I replaced the pre-cat O2 sensors and the jutter is now gone! In retrospect, I had the check engine light on, and one of the codes for P1189 and P1188. I don't know why the stealership didn't recommend changing them when I got my diagnostic through them. Anyway, add me to the non-dme reflash group for jutter fix but Thanks again Shawn!

glad it worked for you! very odd that shawn and i still have it. hmmm.

peter

JanMatt
10-15-2015, 07:44 AM

peter

Hope it doesn't come back!! dunn dunn dunnn:dunno

ELCID86
10-15-2015, 05:52 PM

peter

Mine is gone. Unplugging the DISA for a few days cured it. :dunno

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

anandoc
10-15-2015, 06:41 PM

peter

Umm...I am on that list too. Haven't tried unplugging the DISA though..

ELCID86
10-16-2015, 11:42 AM
Umm...I am on that list too. Haven't tried unplugging the DISA though..

Try it and leave it for a few days. If it clears up, plug it back in.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

Sockethead
10-17-2015, 08:01 AM
Glad it worked out for you.. and relatively inexpensively too.

Just some additional info for you:
DME reflash was a cure for '04 non ZHP stutter, that might be what the dealership was thinking of...
Dinan software is tied to the vehicle VIN so you own it for life. You'd have to take it to a Dinan dealer if you ever wanted it reflashed. I'm not sure what they'd charge for that. To flash the DME with the latest OEM firmware, the Dinan software would have to be removed, then the DME is flashed with the OEM software and the Dinan software is reinstalled...

JanMatt
10-19-2015, 12:08 AM
Glad it worked out for you.. and relatively inexpensively too.

Just some additional info for you:
DME reflash was a cure for '04 non ZHP stutter, that might be what the dealership was thinking of...
Dinan software is tied to the vehicle VIN so you own it for life. You'd have to take it to a Dinan dealer if you ever wanted it reflashed. I'm not sure what they'd charge for that. To flash the DME with the latest OEM firmware, the Dinan software would have to be removed, then the DME is flashed with the OEM software and the Dinan software is reinstalled...

Geez... hopefully I won't have to do this... just need it to hold up until i start making that ///Money

Sockethead
10-21-2015, 04:36 PM
You'll be fine, once firmware is flashed, it never really needs to be reflashed