PDA

View Full Version : NOT MINE: Sprint Booster

TheFinanceGuy
09-18-2015, 03:40 AM
Not Mine ..

http://nh.craigslist.org/pts/5215670900.html

gas pedal module by Sprint Booster fits 2001-2015 3 series and 2010-2014 1 series. Half the price of new. $140 https://www.sprintboostersales.com/sprint-booster.cfm?make=BMW

BMWCurves
09-18-2015, 07:54 AM
What did people decide on how Sprint Booster works? I just remaps the throttle pedal so it's more open/aggressive for a given angle, correct?

TheFinanceGuy
09-18-2015, 08:16 AM
What did people decide on how Sprint Booster works? I just remaps the throttle pedal so it's more open/aggressive for a given angle, correct?

It boosts the signal to the throttle pedal providing a more aggressive "push" of the pedal. Works great, I love mine.

cakM3
09-18-2015, 09:10 AM
It boosts the signal to the throttle pedal providing a more aggressive "push" of the pedal. Works great, I love mine.

+1

I have Sprint Booster installed in both of my BMWs :)

az3579
09-18-2015, 11:50 AM
Also be aware that Sprint Booster kills a significant portion of your pedal travel. Pressing the pedal does nothing past 50% of pedal travel, effectively decreasing your usable throttle pedal range, so you'd have to get used to where the "real" 50% throttle is (25% actual throttle pedal position) versus the actual 50% (which would be halfway to the floor in a stock car). It's kind of like getting a "throttle stop" (like a clutch stop, only without the physical barrier), if that makes any sense.

https://outbackjoe.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/sprint-booster-output-voltage.png

NoVAphotog
09-18-2015, 11:52 AM
Also be aware that Sprint Booster kills a portion of your pedal travel. Pressing the pedal does nothing past a certain point of pedal travel, effectively decreasing your usable throttle pedal range, so you'd have to get used to where the "real" 50% throttle is versus the actual 50% (which would be halfway to the floor in a stock car). It's kind of like getting a "throttle stop" (like a clutch stop, only without the physical barrier), if that makes any sense.

There's a graph somewhere showing all this, but quite honestly I'm too lazy to look it up. :(

IIRC the "pedalbox" doesn't do this? I remember they were slightly different in how they worked but effectively did the same thing?

az3579
09-18-2015, 11:54 AM
IIRC the "pedalbox" doesn't do this? I remember they were slightly different in how they worked but effectively did the same thing?

The PedalBox unit allows for full 100% of throttle pedal use, but increases the voltages in a different way.

http://www.twmperformance.com/pedalbox/images/lightboxImages/large_images/pedalbox_large005.jpg

Granted, the amount of response you get also varies with the Sprint Booster depending on what setting it's on, but the graphs at least show how the two units are different in terms of operation.

ELCID86
09-18-2015, 11:55 AM
PB FTW!

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

cakM3
09-18-2015, 12:21 PM
I for one would like to "drive a car" with PedalBox installed and make a car to car comparison before deciding which is better since I already have Sprint Booster installed on mine...

ELCID86
09-18-2015, 12:37 PM
I for one would like to "drive a car" with PedalBox installed and make a car to car comparison before deciding which is better since I already have Sprint Booster installed on mine...

Come on down!

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

cakM3
09-18-2015, 12:40 PM
Come on down!

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

Shawn, I will be there for an entire week sometime in October for testing.... I will send you a text when I firm up my travel plans...

for now let's allow Patrick his time to help others here who may want to get Sprint Booster for their car and not derail this thread. :thumbsup

ELCID86
09-18-2015, 12:44 PM
Shawn, I will be there for an entire week sometime in October for testing.... I will send you a text when I firm up my travel plans...

for now let's allow Patrick his time to help others here who may want to get Sprint Booster for their car and not derail this thread. :thumbsup

Agreed on all accounts. (Though it's not his S/B for sale or I wouldn't be posting here).
/thread-Jack

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

NoVAphotog
09-18-2015, 12:57 PM
Come on down!

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.
+1

:thumbsup

Sent from an HTC One

wsmeyer
09-18-2015, 01:20 PM
Pedalbox actually remaps the curve.

SprintBooster simply amplifies the output voltage resulting in dead pedal space as others have pointed out.

BUT, with the SB you can do the SPORT button mod!

cakM3
09-18-2015, 01:33 PM
...with the SB you can do the SPORT button mod!

all the more better for non-M folks... :thumbsup

ELCID86
09-18-2015, 01:59 PM
BUT, with the SB you can do the SPORT button mod!

I do like that feature.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

TheFinanceGuy
09-18-2015, 05:10 PM
Just posted it for a your interested. This, like other mods, is user preference.

I'll refrain from posting in future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wsmeyer
09-18-2015, 05:22 PM
Just posted it for a your interested. This, like other mods, is user preference.

I'll refrain from posting in future.

I'm glad you posted it. I think both the PedalBox and SprintBooster make the car feel more like you would expect it to. Somebody asked about the difference and because this wasn't a for sale thread we didn't think it was inappropriate to chime in with our opinions.

I don't think that anyone has done an A / B comparison but based on their own graphs I think the PedalBox is a better design and have one in my ZHP and one in our X5.

As I said previously though, if you want to do the SPORT button mod you really have to go with the SprintBooster.

NoVAphotog
09-18-2015, 06:53 PM
I'm glad you posted it. I think both the PedalBox and SprintBooster make the car feel more like you would expect it to. Somebody asked about the difference and because this wasn't a for sale thread we didn't think it was inappropriate to chime in with our opinions.

+1

Thank you for posting this, Patrick. It's one of two items that can help this aspect of our cars. I think a discussion of the differences is warranted.

ELCID86
09-18-2015, 07:00 PM
+1

Thank you for posting this, Patrick. It's one of two items that can help this aspect of our cars. I think a discussion of the differences is warranted.

I thought there was another thread on the subject.

NoVAphotog
09-18-2015, 07:16 PM
I thought there was another thread on the subject.

I think so. Probably should get a comparison thread started at some point if there isn't though...

Sent from an HTC One

fredo
09-19-2015, 06:29 AM
Rando told me about the Sprint Booster. He's very happy with his. I need to try it before I can decide.

danewilson77
09-19-2015, 07:20 AM
Rando told me about the Sprint Booster. He's very happy with his. I need to try it before I can decide.
Happy with mine as well. Makes a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

johnrando
09-24-2015, 06:56 PM
Yes, love mine. That was before pedalbox, but with the sport button mod, I would not change mine out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cakM3
09-25-2015, 02:45 AM
When I'm in the DC area in a few weeks I will have an opportunity to try Shawn's pedalbox and then I can make a comparison. Even if I like the pedalbox more, I won't change what I have in my ZHP because I like having my sport button mod that much but I will at least be honest in my comparison :thumbsup

BMWCurves
09-25-2015, 07:24 AM
When I'm in the DC area in a few weeks I will have an opportunity to try Shawn's pedalbox and then I can make a comparison. Even if I like the pedalbox more, I won't change what I have in my ZHP because I like having my sport button mod that much but I will at least be honest in my comparison :thumbsup

Look forward to it.

NoVAphotog
09-25-2015, 07:30 AM

:thumbsup

ecrabb
09-25-2015, 07:55 AM
Yeah, a comparison/characterization between the two would be awesome and very much appreciated.

I can see both sides...

- Conceptually, I hate the idea that the Sprint Booster is linear, which of course means "WOT" comes well before the driver actually has the pedal planted on the floorboard and the last 1/2 or 1/3 of pedal travel doesn't do anything. Yuck.

- OTOH, people with Sprint Boosters like them. That means the WOT/linear response issue isn't as big of a deal as I might think it would be.

- I like the idea of the non-linear throttle response curve and "WOT really is WOT" in the Pedal Box much better.

- OTOH, I love the idea of the sport button mod. Very cool.

- OTOH, if I won't ever turn the Sprint Booster off (and if I like it, why would I?), there isn't much point to the very cool sport button mod.

Arrgggh... So conflicted...

SC

johnrando
09-25-2015, 10:22 PM
Turn it off for valet, wife driving, dropping off at mechanic?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ELCID86
09-26-2015, 12:16 PM
One of you EE guys needs to give us a PedalBox-Sport Button mod...

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

TheFinanceGuy
09-26-2015, 05:45 PM
One of you EE guys needs to give us a PedalBox-Sport Button mod...

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

My understanding of the pedal box control makes the sport button mod not work. Doesn't the controller have more setting and more wires than the button can support?

The sprint booster will retain whatever setting it was last set to. Meaning you can remove the controller once set.
I never change it off the green and will most likely just remove the controller.

wsmeyer
09-26-2015, 06:03 PM
My understanding of the pedal box control makes the sport button mod not work. Doesn't the controller have more setting and more wires than the button can support?

The sprint booster will retain whatever setting it was last set to. Meaning you can remove the controller once set.
I never change it off the green and will most likely just remove the controller.

I don't think it would be that much more difficult to do than the SB with a few caveats:

1 - The PB control unit does not just come apart, you would need to cut it open so no turning back or reverting vs SB the button assembly is about $20

2 - The PB has one main button that cycles through the 3 modes, then a second set of + - buttons that gives you finer control of each mode: -3 -2 0 +1 +2 +3. You could easily move the main button to the SPORT button but you would have to forgo the finer control.

ELCID86
09-27-2015, 02:54 PM
I don't think it would be that much more difficult to do than the SB with a few caveats:

1 - The PB control unit does not just come apart, you would need to cut it open so no turning back or reverting vs SB the button assembly is about $20

2 - The PB has one main button that cycles through the 3 modes, then a second set of + - buttons that gives you finer control of each mode: -3 -2 0 +1 +2 +3. You could easily move the main button to the SPORT button but you would have to forgo the finer control.

Correct. I think that would be fine. Especially if you could tune it in as desire then cut over to the sport button. I usually have mine in yellow/sport and -1, but I think one could live with the "0" setting. :dunno

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.