PDA

View Full Version : Zhp tool!!!!!

Dr Dynamite
09-21-2015, 02:43 PM
I'm in the process of buying tools to be able to do work on my car, any suggestions on which tools I will be needing. FYI I will be doing everything that my car needs[emoji4]

sent from my emerald tablet

BMWCurves
09-21-2015, 04:01 PM
The list can be pretty big but some good items to have:

Strong floor jack
3-ton jack stands
Screwdrivers in various sizes/lengths, both Philips and flathead
Open wrenches in varying metric sizes
Socket wrenches of different sizes with sockets in various metric sizes as well as Torx bits.
Breaker bar(s)
Trim removal tools (not strictly necessary but have come in handy for me)
Shop towels to mop up messes
Oil collection pan/jug/thing
Torque wrench
Set of mechanic's gloves (basically anything to protect your knuckles) and latex/rubber gloves (keep your hands from getting absurdly messy)
PB Blast or WD-40 to loosen stuff
Electrical tape
Loctite and anti-seize compounds.

Those are basic tools I use on a lot of the maintenance work I have done so far.

WOLFN8TR
09-21-2015, 05:56 PM
Auto or 6MT?

Dr Dynamite
09-22-2015, 03:32 AM
The list can be pretty big but some good items to have:

Strong floor jack
3-ton jack stands
Screwdrivers in various sizes/lengths, both Philips and flathead
Open wrenches in varying metric sizes
Socket wrenches of different sizes with sockets in various metric sizes as well as Torx bits.
Breaker bar(s)
Trim removal tools (not strictly necessary but have come in handy for me)
Shop towels to mop up messes
Oil collection pan/jug/thing
Torque wrench
Set of mechanic's gloves (basically anything to protect your knuckles) and latex/rubber gloves (keep your hands from getting absurdly messy)
PB Blast or WD-40 to loosen stuff
Electrical tape
Loctite and anti-seize compounds.

Those are basic tools I use on a lot of the maintenance work I have done so far.
Thanks bro, I appreciate your info [emoji2] I'm starting my tool collection next week, time to get my hands on this ultimate driving machine

Dr Dynamite
09-22-2015, 03:33 AM
Auto or 6MT?
I have a 6mt

BMWCurves
09-22-2015, 07:06 AM
I would also look for DIY guides for any projects you are planning on doing. The guides' authors will usually list what tools you will need, so that can help you get more specific.

I used a lot of guides from the guy linked below and each one has a list of tools and parts you will need:

http://www.bmw330ci.net/maintenance.php

Dr Dynamite
09-22-2015, 02:46 PM
I would also look for DIY guides for any projects you are planning on doing. The guides' authors will usually list what tools you will need, so that can help you get more specific.

I used a lot of guides from the guy linked below and each one has a list of tools and parts you will need:

http://www.bmw330ci.net/maintenance.php
That site is very thorough haha, thanks for sharing that. It'll make working on my car alot easier[emoji28]

danewilson77
09-22-2015, 03:14 PM
Add on to the above:

Oil filter socket, and a flex drive, drive kit with small metric sockets.

Oil drain pan + storage containers.

OBDII scan tool.

Down the road, O2 sensor socket

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

ELCID86
09-22-2015, 04:00 PM
Be sure it's a low profile jack IOT get under the car/bumper covers.

Long magnetic/claw grabber thing.

You'll need some larger sockets.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

JanMatt
09-23-2015, 05:55 AM
thanks for the post! Needed this too

ryankokesh
09-23-2015, 06:17 AM
Long magnetic/claw grabber thing.

^ That. That times a hundred.

Magnetic nut/bolt dishes are also pretty useful.

And William already mentioned this, but you'll need torx sockets for damn near anything you do.

ecrabb
09-23-2015, 11:44 AM
Good list. Luckily, I've collected most of the tools I need over the years. I still need to grab some Torx sockets, and the biggies - jack and stands. On the "need to buy soon" list.

SC

Just_George
09-23-2015, 12:07 PM
Just go by my theory - you NEED everything, most of it in duplicate! Or, in other words, if you can't buy tools what's the point in living? :thumbsup

ecrabb
09-23-2015, 12:13 PM
Just go by my theory - you NEED everything, most of it in duplicate! Or, in other words, if you can't buy tools what's the point in living? :thumbsup

What's awesome is that it isn't just rationalization! I can legitimately justify ever tool purchase I make with my wife. All I have to do is show her a single estimate from the stealer to do something like a valve cover gasket: $678.65. Look, honey... I got the parts for under $100, and I need a couple of miscellaneous tools for $78. I still saved us $500!!!

$500 for a jack and stands? No big deal. They'll literally pay for themselves the first time I use them to install FCABs.

Tools are awesome. So are dads that raise their kids as inquisitive, resourceful, confident and knowledgable DIY'ers. Thanks, Dad!

SC

brettbimmer
09-23-2015, 04:23 PM
Don't forget the Bentley on the off chance the mafia can't answer a question for you!

Also to add to the long magnetic thingie, I have a long pair of thin forceps that I find useful for accidental Butterfingers retrieval.

Johnmadd
09-23-2015, 06:16 PM
What's awesome is that it isn't just rationalization! I can legitimately justify ever tool purchase I make with my wife. All I have to do is show her a single estimate from the stealer to do something like a valve cover gasket: $678.65. Look, honey... I got the parts for under $100, and I need a couple of miscellaneous tools for $78. I still saved us $500!!!

$500 for a jack and stands? No big deal. They'll literally pay for themselves the first time I use them to install FCABs.

Tools are awesome. So are dads that raise their kids as inquisitive, resourceful, confident and knowledgable DIY'ers. Thanks, Dad!

SC

500 dollars for jack stands is outrageous, the best harbor freight tools ones are more than reliable.

wsmeyer
09-23-2015, 07:23 PM
500 dollars for jack stands is outrageous, the best harbor freight tools ones are more than reliable.

He said jack AND stands but you still don't need to spend that much

ecrabb
09-23-2015, 08:16 PM
Ok, I was exaggerating a bit. I was thinking a good aluminum jack at $250 and a couple of good stands at $150 or so, so about $400 total.

SC