PDA

View Full Version : Milk or condensation?

Kudos
03-14-2011, 08:34 AM
Hey guys, I had my mechanic change out the CCv for me, including the dipstick line with a cold weather version of the unit. I did it cause when it was cold as ballz my car would honk once in a while like it was a goose. I went to check my oil, and saw yellow residue on it. This wasn't the milk i usually see that's pretty viscous, but it was more like goop. it was also on my oil fill cover, and i knew that there was some condensation, but it seems excessive. I can't look that deep into my coolant reservoir because of the level sensor. so how can i tell if i have milk and a huge bill coming up other than draining oil?

billschusteriv
03-14-2011, 09:44 AM
An oil analysis done by Blackstone Labs (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/) should raise any flags if you have coolant in the oil - higher than normal sodium.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?737-Oil-Analysis-Anyone-do-them&highlight=oil+analysis

Have you needed to add coolant more frequently?

Might not be a bad idea to change out the oil, get it tested, and change it out in another 500-3000 miles (based on the results of the first test), followed by a second test.

Kudos
03-14-2011, 09:53 AM
I've been adding cooland slowly, i think about 1 cup maybe every 600-700 miles. I'm pretty certain that i'm leaking coolant because it blows cold when i don't have the engine revved. Would oil in the coolant lines give a smell when blowing through the air vents? I will get the oil tested anyways just to see how it looks before and after seals are done and such. i'll be doing overhaul of the cooling system as well as VCG and vanos rebuild, but if i need to tack on the headgasket it just will get more and more interesting..

billschusteriv
03-14-2011, 09:54 AM
Sounds similar to the issue I was having. I could smell coolant through the vents - the cap on the expansion tank was relieving pressure that was building up in my system. Turns out the previous owner overheated it and damaged the heads/head gasket (still undetermined). The combustion side of the engine was pressurizing the coolant side - and relieving out of the cap. My mechanic found it by replacing the expansion tank cap with a pressure test fitting he made, hose, and pressure gage - ran it up to the drivers side door and then proceeded to drive down the road (with the hood cracked) and watched pressure climb in the cooling system.

Do you know if the engine has ever been overheated? Any signs of coolant in the engine compartment (white, chalk-like residue on the underside of the hood or cooling hoses)?

MasterC17
03-15-2011, 05:46 PM
How was yours in comparison to this?

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk52/MasterC17/DSC02321.jpg

That's what I found in mine and this is with the Cold Weather CCV done (except dipstick). I haven't noticed any problems; seems to be fine. If it isn't a good amount worse I probably wouldn't worry about it. Just go on a 20 minute + drive and it should clean it up.

mimalmo
03-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Take her out and stretch her legs a bit. Try to avoid the short trips that don't even get the car warmed up.

knevor
06-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Hey guys, I had my mechanic change out the CCv for me, including the dipstick line with a cold weather version of the unit. I did it cause when it was cold as ballz my car would honk once in a while like it was a goose. I went to check my oil, and saw yellow residue on it. This wasn't the milk i usually see that's pretty viscous, but it was more like goop. it was also on my oil fill cover, and i knew that there was some condensation, but it seems excessive. I can't look that deep into my coolant reservoir because of the level sensor. so how can i tell if i have milk and a huge bill coming up other than draining oil?

happens when you go go short rides often and do not warm the car up either. If you go for a long ride all the moisture should burn off.

danewilson77
06-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Take her out and stretch her legs a bit. Try to avoid the short trips that don't even get the car warmed up.

+1

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Kudos
07-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Just to finish out the thread for future reference, after oil change and temperature raised, everything seems fine now. just condensation no warpage (thank the zebra gods). Now just to tackle the other maintenence.

danewilson77
07-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Just to finish out the thread for future reference, after oil change and temperature raised, everything seems fine now. just condensation no warpage (thank the zebra gods). Now just to tackle the other maintenence.

Good deal. Kudos.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT