PDA

View Full Version : Bumper covers - Aftermarket vs OEM and Painting Costs in NC

Technoman
10-22-2015, 04:59 PM
Regrettably I managed to get attacked by a traffic cone on the highway here in NC after it was thrown from a landscaper trailer, into the truck to my right and then into me. Broke my fancy CF splitters, I lost my fog light and surround and tore up the fender liner. Not too bad, it could have been worse as in took out a light or damaged the hood and my bumper cover had seen better days anyway..

Insurance cut me a check which will easily cover the repairs but I am on the fence as to whether to get an aftermarket front cover for the sedan or pony up the money for a new OEM one. Anybody have a perspective on this from a quality/fit perspective?

Last not least, anybody have any good places they would recommend for painting said bumper cover (need to get my rear done as well) in the Raleigh area of NC?

Thanks....

az3579
10-22-2015, 05:13 PM
OE is always the best quality. It takes a beating better than the aftermarket stuff does, and overall fits better even if only marginally.

KevinC
10-22-2015, 05:20 PM
Bumper cover not an expensive item anyways. Don't EVEN screw around with Chinese aftermarket crap.

BMWCurves
10-22-2015, 06:06 PM
OE is always the best quality. It takes a beating better than the aftermarket stuff does, and overall fits better even if only marginally.

+1 for bumpers.

...unless you like that ricer look. In which case, don't paint it. Let that sexy gray primer speak for itself.

Vas
10-22-2015, 07:04 PM
OE bumper.

az3579
10-23-2015, 08:20 AM
Bumper cover not an expensive item anyways. Don't EVEN screw around with Chinese aftermarket crap.

OE ones actually are pretty expensive...

EDIT: Nevermind. The last time I looked was about a year ago and they were $700 back then... now it's less than $500 on ECS (I use ECS just for part pricing reference).

Technoman
10-23-2015, 02:35 PM
Thanks everyone, appreciate the thoughts. I had read good things about the Khoalty or similar bumper covers but knew this would be the best place to ask. I like and prefer OEM, but when an aftermarket part is every bit as good I am not averse to using them but it doesn't sound like they are in this case.

I would buy from ECS, but shipping is $170 which makes it more expensive to buy from them than straight from the dealer, unless anyone knows of any free shipping promos or similar?