PDA

View Full Version : Headlights seem very dim

SwiftyM3
10-23-2015, 11:03 AM
Just curious as to anything I might be missing on this. I recently purchased a 03 330i ZHP sedan with HID's. Last night was the first time I drove it at night, and I noticed that the headlights were extremely dim, like so much so that I drove the rest of the way home with the highbeams on. Even the high-beams seemed to illuminate the road about the same as regular head lights do in my other BMW's.

When I pulled up to my garage door I expected the lights to be hitting very low, assuming that they were just adjusted really far down, but they actually seemed to look like they were about where they should be. I will mess around with adjusting them and see what I get, but there are no warning lights present on the dash and they all appear to be on and working low's and high's from standing in front of the car looking at it.

Thoughts?

Vas
10-23-2015, 11:13 AM
No need to mess with adjusting them. This sounds like a perfect case of ZKW headlights with burnt reflector bows.

Johnmadd
10-23-2015, 11:57 AM
No need to mess with adjusting them. This sounds like a perfect case of ZKW headlights with burnt reflector bows.

+1 pop the hood and pull the rubber boot off the driver side head light, if it looks brown inside than its time to find a solution.

ELCID86
10-24-2015, 05:36 AM
Look for this. (Not mine!)

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

ecrabb
10-29-2015, 07:50 AM

Wow, that's some serious toast!

SC

Vas
10-29-2015, 07:53 AM

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.
I got a feeling that is what mine are like

slater
10-29-2015, 08:17 AM
mine were like that when i bought it - it was unsafe at night. i installed the TRS kit and new lenses within a week of buying the car, and they are still awesome.

peter

SwiftyM3
11-11-2015, 06:35 AM
Just thought I would update. I decided to get back into "DIY" projects and I have mixed feelings. On one side, it is satisfying to spend less money and fix something on my own. On the other side, It took me about 5x the recommended time over almost a week. In this case it was probably still worth it since my cost on new Projector's is $811/ea.

While I had the bumper off I also addressed a few other things that had been bothering me.

I replaced the Projector's with the retrolab ZKW kit. I didn't realize because of the numerous video's out there that there was modification needed. I had to buy JB weld, a tiny dremel cutting tool kit, wire connectors for the solenoid and drill out the housing for the new projectors to fit properly. I didn't take pictures during the process because I was too focused on googling everything necessary and swearing.

I also replaced the lenses, seals, high beam bulbs, low beams, lower fender liner, undertray, front license plate delete, matte kidney grills, projector fog lights (not installed yet ~ have to be wired) and eyelids while it was apart along with a bumper patch job. I knew the bumper was cracked on the lower drivers side when I bought the car. Someone did a half-ass job trying to glue it back together. I scraped all the old glue off, sanded the edges, and used a patch kit along with clear gorilla glue. I think it came out decent, will definitely last longer than It would have before.

Random pic's (Deleted the before pic of the dull headlights in my driveway - couldn't see any light basically)

Vas
11-11-2015, 07:15 AM
I keep thinking of doing it DIY but sending off the lights and getting it done at the cost $510 seems like the better option for me.

Are you satisfied with the light output?

SwiftyM3
11-11-2015, 09:32 AM
I keep thinking of doing it DIY but sending off the lights and getting it done at the cost $510 seems like the better option for me.

Are you satisfied with the light output?

I was concerned with the turn around time because I currently have my summer car off the road, and my "track project" E36 would be miserable to drive in the cold/rain/snow.

I spent:

$200 on the Morimoto projectors
$90 on low beams
$50 on high beams
$80 on lenses
$40 on seals
~$20 on connectors, dremel bit, jb weld

Let's call it $500 total to fix the lights.

I probably spent another.. $350 on the other random fixes, grills, fender liners, undertray, fogs, plate delete etc.

So you would save a bit doing it yourself, It was far more extensive than the 4 hours it said it would take. I would not want to do it again, i'm hoping they don't have any issues in the near future.

Oh and YES, the light output is infinitely better that the burnt bowls. I drove a bit last night in the rain, obviously hard to tell exactly the output vs reflections from other lights but they seem to be great so far.

Just snapped some pic's @ work and home on my lunch break. Looks so much better IMO.

Vas
11-11-2015, 09:53 AM
Looks great though.

SwiftyM3
11-11-2015, 10:56 AM
Looks great though.

Thanks. I knew going into this purchase that it wasn't going to be best ZHP out there, but I really fell in love with the car. I'm going to make it as good as it can be. Hopefully with the snow's she does alright in the north east winters.

az3579
11-11-2015, 11:59 AM
Hmm! I really like those wheels on your car.

SwiftyM3
11-11-2015, 12:36 PM
Hmm! I really like those wheels on your car.

Thanks man. I had my stock E83 wheels & tires just laying around. I found a set of 4 x 225/45/17 blizzak's local for $140 and just threw them on. I'm pleased with the overall look for winter. I have 12 & 15mm turner spacers on as well, I figure those are the sizes I will want to run with the stock 135's for summer but they work with these as well.

slater
11-11-2015, 01:04 PM

vas, i did mine in an evening, using the TRS kit. with your level of wrenching ability this would be easy for you.

peter

Vas
11-11-2015, 01:18 PM
vas, i did mine in an evening, using the TRS kit. with your level of wrenching ability this would be easy for you.

peter

Just the lazy factor kicks in.

slater
11-11-2015, 01:40 PM
Just the lazy factor kicks in.

ha! i can appreciate that.

SwiftyM3
11-12-2015, 05:11 AM

peter

Yah I should've mentioned two factors:

1 - I'm not good for much more than basic maintenance as far as skill level comfort goes. However, once I've done something.. the learning curve kicks in.

2 - I didn't do enough reading before I purchased the projectors. I was under the impression that it would be as simple as unbolt/take apart, plug and play, reassemble and reinstall. After I got the headlights apart I realized the DIY video's were for all sorts of different upgrades for prefacelift/halogen/retro etc. I found the correct DIY for my headlights, and had to then get the right tools. I also decided to replace various plastic pieces in the front end, which I had to have shipped over night which delayed my reassembly. If I were to have to swap just the projector's again knowing what I know now, I'm confident I could do it in the 4 hours or less.

SwiftyM3
11-12-2015, 05:19 AM
Here's some shots of the lights last night. My apologies for the camera phone, I don't have anything better.

Vas
11-12-2015, 06:10 AM
Can you post a pic of the cut-off line? Just curious how it looks against a wall or a big flat surface.

SwiftyM3
11-12-2015, 06:52 AM
Can you post a pic of the cut-off line? Just curious how it looks against a wall or a big flat surface.

Yeah I can. My driveway is inclined up towards the door, so they don't work and my workbench doesn't provide an even surface when I pull in. I'll have to find a flat area/wall tonight to get a good shot on. Will update when I can get it.

theothersawyer
11-12-2015, 07:07 AM
When these retrofits are done, do the headlights still have the auto leveling?

SwiftyM3
11-12-2015, 08:54 AM
When these retrofits are done, do the headlights still have the auto leveling?

Yes.

That and the lowbeam/highbeam solenoid were part of my hold up on the install. The DIY I followed says "connect the wires to the OE solenoid plug from the harness"

It said nothing about which goes to which. I just winged it. I found out later that the solenoid is not (as far as I know) polarity sensitive. I cut the stock solenoid plug, stripped and crimped the new wires together with the old green and red wire, heat shrunk them, and tested each side as I did it. Both worked first time no issues. On start up, the headlights do autolevel still just as before.

theothersawyer
11-12-2015, 12:58 PM
Awesome! I need to do mine and when my headlights auto leveled it made me wonder. I love watching them auto level, I don't know why but I do! Lol

SwiftyM3
11-13-2015, 08:38 AM
Here is the requested cutoff pic ~ too lazy to find a good wall or door somewhere else so this is my garage (on a slight decline)