PDA

View Full Version : (Sold) E46 M3 steering wheel

Avetiso
10-25-2015, 06:09 PM
SOLD

$160 obo. I'd rather sell to one of you guys. Comes with buttons, but on of the pins is cracked off so... meh. Also comes with the lower trim, but you'll need to wrap it because the plastidip that came on it is ratchet as fuck, courtesy of Johal. ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3nkhkprwpsceasv/IMG_3921.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6r285wo5dpbaln/IMG_8494.jpg?dl=0

hcbeck2689
10-27-2015, 01:44 PM
Looks like it would be a good core to send in for a rewrap
GLWS

-Holden

NorCalZman
10-27-2015, 03:30 PM
Is the M3 wheel a good upgrade for our cars? What kind of leather is on the wheel?

az3579
10-27-2015, 05:38 PM
Is the M3 wheel a good upgrade for our cars? What kind of leather is on the wheel?

Yes it is, though the condition of the wheel makes the difference. It is Dakota leather with vibrate M tri-colored stitching. When new, it has a nice, soft-touch feel (kind of like the feel of the lower trim on the steering wheel), and you can feel the grain of the Dakota leather, which gives it a nice tactile feel and increases grip a tiny bit compared to smooth leather. Personally, I find that leather wheels have more grip than alcantara because the alcantara tends to dry out the hands, making the dry hands slip over the alcantara. At least, this was my experience the one time I had to use an alcantara wheel on the track.

NorCalZman
10-27-2015, 05:47 PM
Yeah I hate my alcantara wheel. I'm planning on buying a brand new wheel. I'd love the perforated leather wheel but it's around 900 now. The M3 wheel is a bit over 500.

Technoman
10-27-2015, 05:51 PM
Personally, I find that leather wheels have more grip than alcantara because the alcantara tends to dry out the hands, making the dry hands slip over the alcantara. At least, this was my experience the one time I had to use an alcantara wheel on the track.

For most track use you will likely be wearing gloves, which makes Alcantara (or even better is suede) a lot more grippy than leather. We have a leather wheel in one of our racecars and I hate it. That said I prefer leather for street use.

az3579
10-27-2015, 06:07 PM
For most track use you will likely be wearing gloves, which makes Alcantara (or even better is suede) a lot more grippy than leather. We have a leather wheel in one of our racecars and I hate it. That said I prefer leather for street use.

Sorry, I disagree. I find leather to be gripper than alcantara.

Karl Lazlo
10-27-2015, 06:08 PM

You echo my experiences. My alcantara race wheels with gloves were like velcro.

BMWCurves
10-27-2015, 06:36 PM
Yeah I hate my alcantara wheel. I'm planning on buying a brand new wheel. I'd love the perforated leather wheel but it's around 900 now. The M3 wheel is a bit over 500.

Why not just rewrap? When I got my car I had an old alcantara wheel and wanted the perforated leather wheel from late 2005 and 2006 models. However, I struggled to find one at a decent price. John suggested I try a separate company that does leather and perforated leather mix wraps for $350. I went ahead and bought it and love it. It looks like this:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?15714-William-s-330Ci-ZHP-Maintenance-and-Project-Thread&p=431923#post431923

Avetiso
11-01-2015, 06:21 PM
Sold

johnrando
11-03-2015, 09:32 AM
Congrats.