PDA

View Full Version : Zooey the ZHP Maintenance Thread

JanMatt
10-28-2015, 09:21 AM
Just wanted to keep a log. I haven’t subscribed to any maintenance threads, so I’m mostly just doing this for my own benefit :3 However, I scanned through a few threads and I just saw pictures of the jobs. I think I’ll post prices of the items I bought, from where and maybe if any issues w/ it? For now I’ll just try to put together what I’ve done and hope it gets better from there. I'm taking this as an experience in learning about cars so feedback is always helpful. New to this, but fiending to learn so I can deem myself worthy of ///M when i'm making ///Money. Thanks for reading!

Bought the car at 151K. Here are the supposedly updated parts at purchase:
Suspension/ Wheels/ Tires:
Front- 225-40-18 Michelin Pilot Super Sports ( 10k miles on the front )
Rear- 255-35-18 Michelin Pilot Super Sports ( Brand new....less than 100 miles on them )

Recent maintenance:
New battery
All new belts
Oil change every 7,500 miles
Brake fluid flush
New cooling system ( radiator, water pump, all hoses, expansion tank, etc) in last 15k
New front control arm bushings ( OEM )
New crank case cent valve, PCV, and all hoses

I don’t drive much because it’s a weekend car, additionally I try to fly out for mini weekend vacays if tickets are sub $200 to places where I can get free housing(college friends).

152K:
VCG Pro Kit (included grommets and Sparkplug gaskets) from OEMbimmerparts $36.50
Spark Plugs (Since I was in there already, but didn’t seem like any issues in the old ones) NGK from OEMbimmer $44.95
Fuel Tank Breather Valve OEM on OEMbimmer $79.80
O2 Sensors from Bosch Amazon $103.11 each
Windshield Washer Pump OEM on OEMbimmer $21.95
Thermostat and Expansion Tank, Lower rad hose temp sensor from dealership
Aux fan OEM bimmer $192.20 (not OEM).
Coolant Flush.

Oil Filter Housing Gasket $3.99 from OEM bimmer
Power Steering Fluid Reservoir (OEM) $23.95
CHF Pentosin PS Fluid flush 20.99 each (buy 2 litres for the lazy flush!)
Reusable clips from Norma, 12-20mm and 16-25mm. Comes in a box with a lot of them! Purchased here:
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Nor...amps_s/671.htm

Rear crankshaft seal $30.61 from ECS
Teflon Bushing Kit $79.95 from ECS (Did not fix my shifter slop. go get the UUC SSK +DSSR)
OEM Clutch Kit $361.95 from Turner
Power Steering Hoses from dealership

Had some overheating issues despite a “new cooling system” 15K ago, had it towed to my dad’s mechanic since it was closer than my house. He said the thermostat wasn’t opening up. He replaced the expansion tank because that cracked. After this, I replaced the aux fan because it wouldn’t turn off unless unplugged.

So, I broke that hose from ccv to the Valve Cover… that’s next. Might as well order the sunroof clips to get free shipping…

fredo
10-28-2015, 10:06 AM
Good info here. I'm getting ready to replace my Windshield Washer Pump. Did you also replace the grommet ( 61667006063 ) ? It's only $3 or so.

JanMatt
10-28-2015, 01:07 PM
Good info here. I'm getting ready to replace my Windshield Washer Pump. Did you also replace the grommet ( 61667006063 ) ? It's only $3 or so.

I did not. Mostly because I didn't think about it too much. However, when I was replacing the pump, the grommet looked fine

johnrando
10-28-2015, 05:31 PM
Nice

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

danewilson77
10-29-2015, 02:09 PM
Well done.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

JanMatt
11-12-2015, 07:28 AM
Since i broke that hose to the CCV valve, also want to try trouble shooting this oil leak since I keep putting off the oil pan gasket job. (oil leak was noticable a month or 2 after stealership diagnosed oil pan gasket). So going to try the oil filter housing gasket. Additionally, my power steering gives up/doesn't work at low rpms. So I'll be doing a PS flush and changing the reservoir while i'm at it. research indicates that all these jobs are kinda in the same area so I'll be attempting this in one fell swoop black friday.

New parts ordered:

OEMbimmer:
Oil Filter Housing Gasket OEM 3.99
Power Steering Reservoir OEM 23.95

AutohausAZ:
Crankcase Breather Pipe 29.12
CHF Power Steering Fluid 19.97
Passenger side Sunroof Shade Slider non OEM (URO) 9.55 each
Drivers side Sunroof Shade Slider non OEM (MTC) 8.21 each

Yes i went cheap on the sliders but hey, like a smart BMW owner, I don't really use my sunroof. Just dont want the sunroof shade to get torn apart when someone tries to pull the sunroof open since the sliders are crap. hopefully no issues with fitment!

Side note: surfing the maintenance threads is scary. I think i'm placebo-ing myself into thinking some parts are broken when they can wait/aren't really broken. gotta manage this money pit better haha

johnrando
11-12-2015, 07:46 AM
OFHG is very straightforward, done that. I've heard the oil pan gasket is a PITA, but no personal experience. BTW, my dealer said that I was leaking oil and "recommended" changing both. (I'd taken it in for an air bag recall and they did their "inspection"). I did the OFHG as I was already planning to and that solved the leak. So, you never know, it might not be the oil pan gasket.

Vas
11-12-2015, 07:51 AM
The oil pan gasket starts to seep at first. You can go over the bolts and snug them down but eventually you will end up replacing the gasket. I ended up doing the job on jackstands in my driveway. Not too terrible.

JanMatt
11-17-2015, 09:29 AM
As like a trouble shooting question to find out how pressing the oil pan gasket will be:

Car has currently been sitting (dripping noticeably which is evident in being low in oil after 2 months). If I opened up the oil filter housing, the oil drains into the oil pan right? Therefore, if I did this and oil continues to drip at the same rate, the larger issue really is the oil pan gasket and not the oil filter housing gasket right?

Thanks.

JanMatt
12-04-2015, 06:26 PM
Currently mid OFHG job. [stopping because I should have ordered a vanos oil line. and also the grooves on the tensioner screw are going so I gotta order that. But! just for information purposes:

when you take out the OFGH screws, find a way to keep them corresponding. I didn't so I'll be trying to figure that out as I put it back together :(

I found my experience to be different than this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC_cmsX68Ok

in terms of certain screws being different sizes and no air duct to the alternator

used a mix of that and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy0EKjuxlpY

I do have tons of oil in this area so at least waaiting around gives me time to clean it up etc. probably from both the vanos oil line and the OFGH.

JanMatt
01-11-2016, 09:03 AM
Forgot to post after since work got really busy.

OFGH was replaced, it wasn't completely shot and may have been replaced prior. Oil still continues to drip so unfortunately I'm going to be dropping the cash for a Oil Pan Gasket job. I also purchased M3 engine mounts from oembimmer. Do I need any other parts for the engine mount replace? I saw some kits with screws at ECS and turner.

I also replaced the power steering reservoir and clips. I used reusable clips from NORMA as noted in this forum post:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=788513

I do have some dripping coming out of the line closes to the front of the car. I will be re-doing the clip/changing it to see if the 20mm clip is the issue. Hopefully not!

Vas
01-11-2016, 09:17 AM
When I did the Oil Pan Gasket, all I ordered was an OE gasket and engine + trans mounts. Plus did an oil change on the car as well.

Reason I got the M3 trans mounts was because they were cheap and mine were original (100k on them ) and they were simple enough to install.

JanMatt
01-25-2016, 09:55 AM
Just took Zoey to the mechanic since I couldn't figure out the oil leak. it isn't the oil pan gasket, but the rear main seals. Just as a heads up I guess, we'll be replacing the clutch, shifter bushings, and the rear seals. and selling soon after :confused . She'll be posted by february :(.

BMWCurves
01-25-2016, 10:04 AM
Just took Zoey to the mechanic since I couldn't figure out the oil leak. it isn't the oil pan gasket, but the rear main seals. Just as a heads up I guess, we'll be replacing the clutch, shifter bushings, and the rear seals. and selling soon after :confused . She'll be posted by february :(.

What? How come?

JanMatt
01-25-2016, 10:21 AM
What? How come?

Well, I knew I had taken on a project car when I bought it. and I budgeted for an average of $200-$250 a month in parts/ labor for jobs I don't feel confident in. and I have really surpassed this budget. Not that I don't love the car, I just coincidentally picked one up that maintenance would cost me more than what I budgeted for. I mean maybe I'll see where it goes... but thats the short story I guess.

Man. I got really sad typing that up.

BMWCurves
01-25-2016, 10:55 AM
Ah, yeah. Going back through your previous posts you've had to do a fair amount of maintenance. It's tough, if the car isn't fully maintained, maintenance can pile up and that gets expensive. Do you do your own labor? At any rate, I hope you find a way to keep the car, but if not, there's always time down the road. Good luck.

johnrando
01-25-2016, 11:05 AM
Sorry to hear.

slater
01-25-2016, 11:49 AM
bummer. however, it IS a 10+ year old car. stuff is gonna break. stuff breaks on newer cars too. stuff even breaks on hondas!

looking at the maintenance you've done already... that's routine stuff, nothing out of the ordinary. and not a lot considering the car has 150K miles on it. and those parts won't have to be replaced again for a long while (same with the rear main seal and shift linkage bits). i would ride it out.

JanMatt
01-26-2016, 08:16 AM
bummer. however, it IS a 10+ year old car. stuff is gonna break. stuff breaks on newer cars too. stuff even breaks on hondas!

looking at the maintenance you've done already... that's routine stuff, nothing out of the ordinary. and not a lot considering the car has 150K miles on it. and those parts won't have to be replaced again for a long while (same with the rear main seal and shift linkage bits). i would ride it out.

10% chance of me keeping it. I really do love the car... ugh just as a finance major i'm seeing where this money could go! haha.

slater
01-26-2016, 08:34 AM
10% chance of me keeping it. I really do love the car... ugh just as a finance major i'm seeing where this money could go! haha.

just out of curiosity, what would you replace it with?

JanMatt
01-26-2016, 10:32 AM
just out of curiosity, what would you replace it with?

I dd a camry. so this really is just an extra car haha. although the reason for toughing it out would be that I don't see any new cars that are interesting. and i'm not making ///M money quite yet so I wouldn't switch over to that. This is really the only thing I'll buy/can afford pre-2008. (would love the wrx sti haha)

JanMatt
02-16-2016, 01:13 PM
Rear main seal replaced, new clutch kit. Also bought the ECS teflon shifter bushing kit. it did not remedy the shifter slop. I advice anyone trying to get rid of shifter slop to look into the UUC SSK+DSSR.

Still not ready to sell. my brake light and DSC light are on. I haven't gotten the codes yet, but hopefully I don't have to replace the whole DSC module. Drove it for a few hundred miles and check engine light came on. so back to the doctor we go -_- drives fine at least.

ELCID86
02-16-2016, 01:32 PM
Rear main seal replaced, new clutch kit. Also bought the ECS teflon shifter bushing kit. it did not remedy the shifter slop. I advice anyone trying to get rid of shifter slop to look into the UUC SSK+DSSR.

Still not ready to sell. my brake light and DSC light are on. I haven't gotten the codes yet, but hopefully I don't have to replace the whole DSC module. Drove it for a few hundred miles and check engine light came on. so back to the doctor we go -_- drives fine at least.

Glad you are Gerry things done. Can be frustrating ...

Mind sharing what the rear main seal and clutch cost?

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46fanatic

cakM3
02-16-2016, 01:49 PM
I dd a camry. so this really is just an extra car haha. although the reason for toughing it out would be that I don't see any new cars that are interesting. and i'm not making ///M money quite yet so I wouldn't switch over to that. This is really the only thing I'll buy/can afford pre-2008. (would love the wrx sti haha)

The WRX sti is an awesome and fun to drive car for sure. :thumbsup Even so, it's not a BMW... I get more looks when driving either of my cars from the Subi/Honda/VW/Audi crowd so that alone tells me that I'm driving the right car. Yeah you probably will pay more in maintenance but it's the satisfaction of driving one of these cars ;)

Just checked out your project thread...lookin' good so far! Keep it up :thumbsup

johnrando
02-16-2016, 07:59 PM
Hope u get it all set

JanMatt
02-17-2016, 06:48 AM
Glad you are Gerry things done. Can be frustrating ...

Mind sharing what the rear main seal and clutch cost?

Updated on the first thread, but clutch kit $361.95 from Turner. Rear crankshaft seal $30.61 from ECS.

p.s. After that post about keeping the zhp until it dies on FB. I am motivated to continue keeping it. just need the maintenance money pit to slow down on me a little.

JanMatt
03-08-2016, 01:41 PM
Hi guys,

Looking to replace my brake pads and rotors in the next month or two. Just wanted to see if i'd need more parts than this.

Most likely going to go with this kit for both front and back:

https://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW-E46-3-Series-Brake-Kit-By-ATE-W-Pads-Sensor-p/e46brakekitsz.htm

I've seen other kits have these:
https://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW-Brake-Rotor-Set-Screws-Set-of-4-p/34211161806kite46.htm
Do I need these? and if so, is that set of 4 per wheel/ per axle?

Any other parts I'd need or perhaps "might as wells"? I am hoping my DCS light+e-brake light being on is the speed sensor, not the DSC module. going in for a diagnostic soon so I hope that's something I can do with the brake refresh.

Thanks!

p.s. Car wash needed.

3ZHPGUY
03-08-2016, 03:35 PM
Hi guys,

Looking to replace my brake pads and rotors in the next month or two. Just wanted to see if i'd need more parts than this.

Most likely going to go with this kit for both front and back:

https://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW-E46-3-Series-Brake-Kit-By-ATE-W-Pads-Sensor-p/e46brakekitsz.htm

I've seen other kits have these:
https://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW-Brake-Rotor-Set-Screws-Set-of-4-p/34211161806kite46.htm
Do I need these? and if so, is that set of 4 per wheel/ per axle?

Any other parts I'd need or perhaps "might as wells"? I am hoping my DCS light+e-brake light being on is the speed sensor, not the DSC module. going in for a diagnostic soon so I hope that's something I can do with the brake refresh.

Thanks!

p.s. Car wash needed.

It all depends on what your looking to do and how many miles your car has.

Brembo rotors are zinc coated and resist rust a bit better than others. I recently changed mine for the second time at 130k and needed to replace all of the parking brake shoes and hardware also. The pads I used when I did this were Hawk 5.0 with low dust, quiet and increased stopping power. The parking brake stuff I don't remember. Pads and rotors were purchased from Tirerack and FYI, the Bremno rotors come with new retention screws.

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

danewilson77
03-08-2016, 05:15 PM
You want the SS set screws for the rotors.

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Braking/Rotors/ES2162802/

Sent from an S6 Edge

Vas
03-08-2016, 07:07 PM
Nice set of screws.