PDA

View Full Version : Which exhaust to choose

Alikessu
11-03-2015, 06:27 PM
Well guys, I am pondering the thought of buying and exhaust for my 06 ZHP
and was kind of thinking between the Corsa Tse3 and the Borla
now the thing is I have not herd either in person, but have read a lot of praise on both.
I have herd them on YouTube but it is not the same as I. person.
also should I get the back part only or do I go the full length exhaust?
any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance guys

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

NoVAphotog
11-03-2015, 07:00 PM
Several members have the TSE3 and love it, I definitely concur. Although, my love for it has not eclipsed the excessive price for a 10+ year old design/product. Some of these members got SIGNIFICANTLY good deals on these kits so the door was opened with minimal expenditure. I do not think it is worth the cost of buying one new. Plenty of other things that improve the car for the same price, the LSD I bought for example, $1375...coilovers...etc.

The Borla is nice, but more subtle, adds some aggressiveness, but it would depend on what your goal was. I would do muffler delete for under $100 before I got the Borla as that would give you a little grunt.

The above is only my opinion based on limited seat time and financial review...I have not daily driven the systems so I can't give a full breakdown only what I have concluded in searching for one myself.

Also, the TSE4 is coming out soon and while I'm not holding my breath on it being cheaper I'd feel better about buying it as it reflects updated design elements.

derbo
11-03-2015, 07:04 PM
TSE3. My favorite exhaust. I do miss the quietness of my HKS though.

Alikessu
11-03-2015, 07:30 PM
I have not seen any info on the Tse4 yet. is it any different than the tse3?

Alikessu
11-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the great response, I guess we all go through this phase... LoL
but I am going to be building a house early next year. so if I am going to be doing any upgrades,
now would be the time to do it before I start building.
thinking of the exhaust
then the uuc evo3 ssk Dssr kit
shark tune
sprint booster

NoVAphotog
11-03-2015, 07:46 PM
I have not seen any info on the Tse4 yet. is it any different than the tse3?

I called and spoke to a uuc rep, not much that he could tell me other than early 2016 release and it will no longer be built to order so less wait and price potentially. Time will tell.

hcbeck2689
11-03-2015, 09:22 PM
I think it all depends on what you are looking for in an exhaust.
I have the BMW performance exhaust and love it. It is not much louder than the stock muffler, but does add some growl to it and a bit more volume.
Obviously any full system will give better performance gains and always sounds better imo. This will be at the expense of your quietness so to say. I like staying under the radar so I don't want anything that loud.
I have also seen data from dynos that show a full exhaust can make your low end power worse while your upper rpm power better. I do not know if it is the case with our cars, but worth looking into.
I think a muffler delete is a good place to start. Could be done for under $100 if you find a reasonable muffler shop. You could always delete the resonators in the future to add a bit more sound of you don't mind the raspyness.

-Holden

johnrando
11-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Tse3 is awesome but loud. If you go, go big and do cat back if you have the funds.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

az3579
11-05-2015, 04:41 AM
Tse3 is awesome but loud. If you go, go big and do cat back if you have the funds.

It isn't that bad for noise. It's actually pretty quiet when you're putting around town, at least from the inside. It only gets loud when you push the throttle more. (And when you do a cold start :biggrin)

johnrando
11-05-2015, 08:22 AM
Which I do a lot BP. :biggrin It was fine for me, but my family was not too thrilled, and I could see it over the long run being slightly a bit much in a vert.

az3579
11-05-2015, 09:37 AM
... I could see it over the long run being slightly better in a vert.

Fixed. :biggrin

sent from my Droid Turbo

BumpinAlpine
11-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Magnaflow Cat Back is pretty nice too, and cheap.

johnrando
11-05-2015, 04:43 PM
LOL BP. I have the magnaflow now, I like it but a little too quiet for me. :)

BumpinAlpine
11-05-2015, 05:03 PM
The magnaflow is on the quiet side. I wish it was louder at WOT. Sounds good with a AFE stage 1 intake though.

NoVAphotog
11-05-2015, 05:30 PM
Not that it is complete relevant, but I think this is an awesome video on the subject in general...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWTARjxiqlo

rguti153
11-05-2015, 06:35 PM
Tse3 sounds amazing . Wouldn't the Tse3 be discountinue once the tse4 comes out . You never know how the sound of the tse4 would sound . Might sound weak , n Tse3 would still be desire more . Hopefully that's not the case

Alikessu
11-05-2015, 06:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies great food for thought. and great video
can't wait to sit down and watch it. Thanks

Alikessu
11-05-2015, 06:55 PM
if the Tse3 is loud! should I just do the back part... the exhaust not the whole thing?

Pip
11-05-2015, 07:49 PM
if the Tse3 is loud! should I just do the back part... the exhaust not the whole thing?

Even the back part is still pretty loud. Are you near anyone who has one that you could listen to? They are insane at startup and then settle down. While driving you do get some low drone especially under load (up hill etc).

az3579
11-05-2015, 07:58 PM
Even the back part is still pretty loud. Are you near anyone who has one that you could listen to? They are insane at startup and then settle down. While driving you do get some low drone especially under load (up hill etc).

There is zero drone with the TSE3. You can't call it drone when you're going up a hill; the car's under load. Not the same thing as actual drone. Cruising around it isn't intrusive at all as long as you're not driving like Joe Racecar.

The exhaust on my friend's E36 M3 is THE definition of drone. I want to blow my brains out just cruising on the highway.

sent from my Droid Turbo

Pip
11-05-2015, 08:15 PM
There is zero drone with the TSE3. You can't call it drone when you're going up a hill; the car's under load. Not the same thing as actual drone. Cruising around it isn't intrusive at all as long as you're not driving like Joe Racecar.

The exhaust on my friend's E36 M3 is THE definition of drone. I want to blow my brains out just cruising on the highway.

sent from my Droid Turbo

Fair point. I meant only under load with my hill example. Never felt it droned while driving normally.

Pip
11-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Not that it is complete relevant, but I think this is an awesome video on the subject in general...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWTARjxiqlo

Fantastic video. Thanks!

NoVAphotog
11-06-2015, 03:30 AM
Fantastic video. Thanks!
:thumbsup

Alikessu
11-07-2015, 04:53 PM
Hi HcBeck
I noticed you said you had the BMW performance exhaust
is it louder than the ZHP exhaust
and how do you like it compared with the more expensive exhausts? I was actually thinking of that exhaust because I don't nesaseraly want to be to loud

Hermes
11-07-2015, 05:03 PM
TSE3

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/330Ci%20Mysticblau/21BC69D5-ED04-4E31-BD96-6E0BFFB86277.jpg

Alikessu
11-08-2015, 05:10 AM
nice
is that for sale?

BMWCurves
11-09-2015, 01:27 AM
Just FYI, BMW Performance exhausts have gone out of production and are basically impossible to find new since there was a recent clearing of inventory across pretty much all retailers.

Alikessu
11-09-2015, 04:15 AM
well then I guess I will wait a little for the tse4, so I will not rush into this.
I will wait for the uuc Evo 3 short shift kit and install that with Dssr

Alikessu
11-09-2015, 06:11 AM
one mod at a time[emoji106]🏻

ecrabb
11-09-2015, 10:44 AM
I've pretty much decided I'm going to try the muffler delete. For the little cost, I'll give it a whirl and see how I like it.

If the muffler delete is too loud for my taste, I'll try a Magnaflow and if I don't like it, I can always go back to the OE muffler I'll throw in a box in the basement.

I just can't see spending two grand on an exhaust for a $15k car just to make it sound better. If there was HP gain, it might make some sense, but since that would be even more money, an expensive header/full exhaust solution just isn't in the cards for me.

SC

Fenrir
11-09-2015, 01:07 PM
I have heard good things about the Magnaflow setup. But I'm partial to AA. I love the sound.

Sent from a blue police box

BMWCurves
11-09-2015, 09:42 PM
I've pretty much decided I'm going to try the muffler delete. For the little cost, I'll give it a whirl and see how I like it.

If the muffler delete is too loud for my taste, I'll try a Magnaflow and if I don't like it, I can always go back to the OE muffler I'll throw in a box in the basement.

I just can't see spending two grand on an exhaust for a $15k car just to make it sound better. If there was HP gain, it might make some sense, but since that would be even more money, an expensive header/full exhaust solution just isn't in the cards for me.

SC

Sort of where I'm at. Unless some wild deal pops up on Craigslist, I'm not really going to mess with the exhaust. It's why I had my eye on the BMW Performance exhaust and even bought one from two different locations during the Great BMW Performance Exhaust Grab of 2015, but both orders were cancelled.

I personally like the sound of the Rogue DMS and Eisenmann exhausts from YouTube videos, but an exhaust is the sort of thing I'd like to hear in person before I take the plunge.

johnrando
11-10-2015, 08:04 PM
TSE3

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/330Ci%20Mysticblau/21BC69D5-ED04-4E31-BD96-6E0BFFB86277.jpg
Was that mine JP?

NorCal-Dimitri
11-11-2015, 12:06 AM
TSE3

+100000

Alikessu
11-12-2015, 07:50 AM
yeah , i concur I think to hear in person before hand would be a smart move. the Borla touring sounds nice or the s type
but hard to know for sure
I really don't want it to loud

johnrando
11-12-2015, 08:42 AM
The TSE3 doesn't drone at level RPM, but I found that I'm always "pushing forward" when I drive and so when the RPMs rise, the sound rises (of course). So, while "technically" it doesn't drone, it pretty much stays loud for me 95+% of the time I drive. Straight cruise no acceleration on the highway is indeed quiet, but I just never drive like that - especially in SoCal.

Snuffalufigus
11-12-2015, 09:14 AM
+1

The TSE3 doesn't drone at level RPM, but I found that I'm always "pushing forward" when I drive and so when the RPMs rise, the sound rises (of course). So, while "technically" it doesn't drone, it pretty much stays loud for me 95+% of the time I drive. Straight cruise no acceleration on the highway is indeed quiet, but I just never drive like that - especially in SoCal.

L0veZHP
11-12-2015, 10:41 PM
UUC TS3! for LIFE!! great exhaust. its not loud! like people say it is. Its only loud from 4k rev and up! sounds so beautiful! get compliments from cops all the time! lol

Just remember:
Headers are a better gain in HP/Torque than an Exhaust system is on these cars.
UUC TS3 Exhaust systems do sound the best to me compared to any other manufacture but are WAY TO LOUD when paired with aftermarket headers.
So I advise that you chose which you would want more sound or performance.
Sound plays a lot into making a car fun to drive, its not all performance. plus you'll still get some gains on the exhaust alone. compared to stock.

hcbeck2689
11-13-2015, 04:10 AM
Hi HcBeck
I noticed you said you had the BMW performance exhaust
is it louder than the ZHP exhaust
and how do you like it compared with the more expensive exhausts? I was actually thinking of that exhaust because I don't nesaseraly want to be to loud

It is louder than zhp exhaust and I love the sound, but not loud at all. It often leaves me wanting more. I do like the sound better than the Dinan on my dads M3 though. Like people have already said, it's going to be hard to find one.

-Holden

hcbeck2689
11-13-2015, 04:13 AM

SC

The muffler delete really isn't that loud. I drove around for a few days like that after cutting off my stock muffler before I put on the BMW perf. I did throw a code though. Can't remember what it was. I cleared it when I put the BMW perf on and it stayed off

-Holden

Alikessu
11-13-2015, 07:24 AM
thank you everyone for all the great feedback it really helps a newbie like me, I will try to wait to hear one before buying
I am in no rush, especially Christmas is around the corner and I get busy with my business that time of year.
I will try to install my aFe air intake this week end and next week when I get the uuc short shifter with the Dssr I will install that, should be good till new year then I can start pondering on the right exhaust[emoji106]🏻