PDA

View Full Version : New ZHP owner in OR

mynamenumber
11-08-2015, 03:38 PM
Hi, I just got my first-ever ZHP, an '05 sedan in Silver. Till now it's been mostly older cars (still selling my '83 6'er).

Loving it so far, but a few questions I need to sort (which I'll probably post to the respective forum sections):

1) There's a small bit of steering wheel pull. It happens only sometimes when braking, and also rarely when the road has some long-straight irregularities, where the wheel briefly tries to "follow" the trench or crack. Is this most likely a

2) Need to figure out a good way to sync an iPhone 6 with the radio, or just swap the head unit for one w/ solid (and new) USB and BT.

3) The wheels are replacements, so I'm in the market for 135s to swap back in.

Otherwise, this is SO fun to drive so far! :pimp

Hermes
11-08-2015, 03:55 PM
Old cars are cool! Welcome

ELCID86
11-08-2015, 03:59 PM
Welcome. I got a small USB receiver PLT-810 from Amazon and plug it into a cig lighter adapter (one with two slots so I can charge the phone too). It works great though the one I got doesn't do phone call audio only music/audio. Do you have an aux Jack? Just plug a cable from the USB into the aux.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

ELCID86
11-08-2015, 04:02 PM
Check out the iclever himbox 4.0.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

oldzilla
11-08-2015, 04:05 PM
Welcome

mynamenumber
11-08-2015, 07:38 PM
Welcome. I got a small USB receiver PLT-810 from Amazon and plug it into a cig lighter adapter (one with two slots so I can charge the phone too). It works great though the one I got doesn't do phone call audio only music/audio. Do you have an aux Jack? Just plug a cable from the USB into the aux.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

Hey, thanks for this great reply. I should have mentioned that I do have an aux in port installed (exactly like the one in your pic).

What I really HOPE I can find is an interface or a new head unit that allows the steering wheel's controls to work 100%, e.g. stuff like:

-- advance to next track in Spotify / SoundCloud, etc.
-- Not worry about phone's volume setting (USB overrides the phone's volume)
-- Allow calls to be taken / placed, ideally using steering wheel controls as well.
-- Ideally, display should sync with phone.

Not sure what's out there, it's been a while since I mucked with car radio stuff... will start the shopping process soon, though!

Vas
11-08-2015, 08:20 PM
Welcome.

ZHPChow
11-09-2015, 12:51 PM
I've been using the Dension GW1LBM1 iPod adapter for almost a year now and it works great with the steering wheel controls, although only the track number will display on the head unit . You'll need to get a 30-pin to lightning adapter if you want to connect your iPhone 6. There are 2 different models, one for the Business radio (http://enfigcarstereo.com/DENSION_GW1LBM1.html) and one for the Nav (http://enfigcarstereo.com/DENSION_GW1LBM4.html). Installation videos on their website were very helpful.

Recently, I purchased a ViseeO WMA1000 bluetooth adapter to work with the Dension unit. The combination of both the Dension GW1LBM1 + ViseeO WMA1000 has also been working great and works with Android (though I haven't tested it with an Android phone). Head unit and steering wheel controls work with every music app that I've tried and it also auto plays as soon as your phone is connected. I like keeping the factory look and I think this is probably the best route if you want to keep your factory radio and have wireless bluetooth audio w/ steering wheel controls.

Oli77
11-09-2015, 05:30 PM
Howdy. Glad you are enjoying the ride.

ELCID86
11-09-2015, 05:34 PM
I've been using the Dension GW1LBM1 iPod adapter for almost a year now and it works great with the steering wheel controls, although only the track number will display on the head unit . You'll need to get a 30-pin to lightning adapter if you want to connect your iPhone 6. There are 2 different models, one for the Business radio (http://enfigcarstereo.com/DENSION_GW1LBM1.html) and one for the Nav (http://enfigcarstereo.com/DENSION_GW1LBM4.html). Installation videos on their website were very helpful.

Recently, I purchased a ViseeO WMA1000 bluetooth adapter to work with the Dension unit. The combination of both the Dension GW1LBM1 + ViseeO WMA1000 has also been working great and works with Android (though I haven't tested it with an Android phone). Head unit and steering wheel controls work with every music app that I've tried and it also auto plays as soon as your phone is connected. I like keeping the factory look and I think this is probably the best route if you want to keep your factory radio and have wireless bluetooth audio w/ steering wheel controls.

So the wma1000 attaches to the Denison unit and you can stream music and make phone calls via Bluetooth and use the steering wheel controls? (Assume iPhone 6 adapter is not needed).

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

az3579
11-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Dension makes fantastic products and highly recommend them.

ZHPChow
11-09-2015, 07:41 PM
So the wma1000 attaches to the Denison unit and you can stream music and make phone calls via Bluetooth and use the steering wheel controls? (Assume iPhone 6 adapter is not needed).

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

That's correct except it only works for audio and not as a hands free receiver. My car came with the factory BT module so my phone is actually paired to both that and the wma100 and connects to both simultaneously when I start the car. Making and receiving calls switches BT devices automatically on the phone. Occasionally, however, when I make or receive a call the head unit switches to phone but the audio from the phone call outputs to the wma100. When this happens I have to switch the output to the factory BT from the phone app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mynamenumber
11-09-2015, 09:37 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts on the head unit / iPhone sync.

It seems like there's a big preference here to keep the factory head unit in place, and modify it to work, instead of just replacing the head unit outright with one that sync's out of the box...

... I hope it's OK to ask, but is the Business CD player head so beloved that it's better not to replace it? Just wondering, thanks again everyone!

ELCID86
11-10-2015, 09:17 AM
I think a lot of ppl just like to keep the OE look. I swapped one in an old 330Ci my son had. Looked ok I thought. He liked the B/T and other features...

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

mynamenumber
11-10-2015, 12:15 PM
Thanks for that pic, and yeah, that's exactly what I was wondering. I might be the person who leans towards a fully modern head unit, instead of trying to get the old to work.

Trouble is (and no offense to the one in your pic), so many of these contemporary units look ridiculous, with al their gloss, chrome, multi-colored lights, etc. Gotta start looking for a good unit that doesn't spoil the look, it seems, thanks again!

ELCID86
11-10-2015, 05:11 PM
Get the trim piece that helps it blend into the dash. Let us know what you find.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

johnrando
11-10-2015, 05:30 PM
Welcome. Nice car. Yes, quite a few options for sound that sync with steering wheel controls.

3ZHPGUY
11-11-2015, 12:32 AM
Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

SwiftyM3
11-11-2015, 09:59 AM
Welcome!

RITmusic2k
11-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Welcome, from a fellow Oregonian! Everyone else has the head unit question answered - I just thought I'd chime in on the steering issue. I find that these cars are pretty susceptible to tramlining, which is the exact phenomenon you described where the car wants to follow the ruts in the road. Not sure where you live in state, but in the Portland area many of the freeways have deep ruts and I often have to fight the car or find a way to float on the high spots (at which point the car tracks perfectly straight). You mentioned that you notice it more during braking... it could be possible that you have a sticky brake pad on one side, but I'd be hesitant to tell you that's definitely it since I'm not knowledgeable enough on our brake systems.

Regardless, enjoy your new baby!

mynamenumber
11-11-2015, 08:56 PM
Minor update: Local shop named AutoHaus looked specifically at the front suspension, and they say all looks good. FCABs seem nearly new, in fact, which matches the seller's description.

Their thought is that it might be the goofy aftermarket (oversize) wheels / tires, so good thing I'm looking for the original style 135s anyway. Will report if any updates roll in!

fredo
11-20-2015, 12:29 PM
Welcome. Silver always looks good !

mynamenumber
11-21-2015, 03:24 PM
Thanks, and I have some good leads on a set of 135s I can swap on, so I hope to post more pics soon.

I also did the post-purchase drop-off at the local shop. They found that the hydraulic belt tensioner had failed, causing a tweet / squeak sound when cold. I'm very glad to have that taken care of, for fear of the worst-case failure scenario in that are. They also swapped a weeping VANOS line and a full automatic transmission fluid / filter change - hopefully perfect timing at just under 70k miles!