PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Spare Wheels with Winter Tires

skweezr
11-11-2015, 08:32 PM
After buying my new ZHP (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?17003-New-Owner-in-Cincinnati-Ohio) on Monday, the seller offered to sell me his snow tires and wheels for $250 when I went back to his house to pick up my other car. I bought them since I was already trying to figure out what I would do for winter tires.

- Appear to be BMW Style 68 (?) in ugly cosmetic condition, e.g. clear coat peeling
- All same size 17x7.5 with 225/45R17's
- 2 namebrand Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 with 10k miles of use
- 2 offbrand Hercules Avalanche X-Treme with 3k miles of use
- Previous owner claims interchangeable between front and back

Questions before I mount in a few weeks:
- Do you agree with my plan to mount the Blizzaks in the front and Hercules in the rear? I think it'd be better to have peace-of-mind that the Bridgestones will have the duties of steering and braking even though they have a little more wear. The tread pattern on the Hercules tires aren't as "dense" as the Blizzaks.
- Are there any details to consider before mounting? Staggering, etc.?
- Are those wheels worth anything? For next year, should I have them stripped and refurbished?

3ZHPGUY
11-11-2015, 09:18 PM
The blizzak's should be directional and will be side dependent. I have a set of them currently for sale and from my experience with them, I would run them in the rear.

What's your location and what are your winter driving needs? Are you going to be dealing with heavy snow or more ice and or slush? The e46 with the D.SC. does great in snow and with good snows it you should have little or no problem.

May want to read up on how the D.SC. works before the first snow. You may need to change the mode in heavy snow situations and turn off the rev limiter.

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

Oli77
11-12-2015, 04:32 AM
The tires with the deepest threads should go in the back, unless you want to be stuck.

ryankokesh
11-12-2015, 05:54 AM
This is going to be pretty dependent on where you're driving and in what conditions. If you're going to encounter a lot of snow, you'll first want to measure the tread depth and make sure you're at 5/32nds of an inch (http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=163), at least. It looks like you probably are, but worth checking.

I'd also recommend, at a minimum, having two of the same tire on each axel. So if you can directionally do two Blizzaks in the back, you'll want to go that route. (Better/newer tires go on the back.) If you have to mix them on each axel, I'd consider replacing some/all. That said, it is highly recommended to have matching front/rears when it comes to winter tires.

Two articles worth checking out:
- Dangers of Mixing Tread Depth (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=236)
- Mismatching (http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/hot-seller/winter-tires-with-all-seasons-mismatched-is-it-safe)

Basically the problem you're going to have is that the Blizzaks are a great tire, and the off-brands are, well, not. This creates the potential to have significant traction differences at each end of your car, putting you at a big disadvantage. So again, as a minimum, put the Blizzaks in the back.

As far as the clear coat issues go, I'd probably throw some plastidip on there and call it a day. Should help protect it from further corrosion, etc.

Hope this helps - congrats on the new car!

Vas
11-12-2015, 06:20 AM
- Wheels are BMW Style 68
- All same size 17x7.5 with 225/45R17's - Correct. Pretty common size to run for winter wheels/tires
- Previous owner claims interchangeable between front and back - Technically Yes

- Do you agree with my plan to mount the Blizzaks in the front and Hercules in the rear? I think it'd be better to have peace-of-mind that the Bridgestones will have the duties of steering and braking even though they have a little more wear. The tread pattern on the Hercules tires aren't as "dense" as the Blizzaks. - This depends on snow conditions but I would mount the Blizzaks on the rear.
- Are there any details to consider before mounting? Staggering, etc.? - You can have the wheels balanced before installing them on the car.
- Are those wheels worth anything? For next year, should I have them stripped and refurbished? - The wheels came on the e46 with the sport package. Not really anything special and the width of them makes it perfect for winter wheels. I would just leave them or sand them down and clear-coat them if it bothers you.

NoVAphotog
11-12-2015, 06:50 AM
This is going to be pretty dependent on where you're driving and in what conditions. If you're going to encounter a lot of snow, you'll first want to measure the tread depth and make sure you're at 5/32nds of an inch (http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=163), at least. It looks like you probably are, but worth checking.

I'd also recommend, at a minimum, having two of the same tire on each axel. So if you can directionally do two Blizzaks in the back, you'll want to go that route. (Better/newer tires go on the back.) If you have to mix them on each axel, I'd consider replacing some/all. That said, it is highly recommended to have matching front/rears when it comes to winter tires.

Two articles worth checking out:
- Dangers of Mixing Tread Depth (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=236)
- Mismatching (http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/hot-seller/winter-tires-with-all-seasons-mismatched-is-it-safe)

Basically the problem you're going to have is that the Blizzaks are a great tire, and the off-brands are, well, not. This creates the potential to have significant traction differences at each end of your car, putting you at a big disadvantage. So again, as a minimum, put the Blizzaks in the back.

As far as the clear coat issues go, I'd probably throw some plastidip on there and call it a day. Should help protect it from further corrosion, etc.

- Wheels are BMW Style 68
- All same size 17x7.5 with 225/45R17's - Correct. Pretty common size to run for winter wheels/tires
- Previous owner claims interchangeable between front and back - Technically Yes

- Do you agree with my plan to mount the Blizzaks in the front and Hercules in the rear? I think it'd be better to have peace-of-mind that the Bridgestones will have the duties of steering and braking even though they have a little more wear. The tread pattern on the Hercules tires aren't as "dense" as the Blizzaks. - This depends on snow conditions but I would mount the Blizzaks on the rear.
- Are there any details to consider before mounting? Staggering, etc.? - You can have the wheels balanced before installing them on the car.
- Are those wheels worth anything? For next year, should I have them stripped and refurbished? - The wheels came on the e46 with the sport package. Not really anything special and the width of them makes it perfect for winter wheels. I would just leave them or sand them down and clear-coat them if it bothers you.

+1

Excellent answers here. Pretty much agree with all of it. Leave the wheels if you are going to use them as winters, I like not "worrying" about my winters. Change of pace.

Also, I'd buy a pair of the Blizzaks and then run them in the rear with the older ones in the front just for peace of mind. Not worth taking chances if you are going to be encountering a good bit of snow, but that really depends on location. Here in the mid-atlantic I'd run what people are recommending especially since they are calling for a mild winter this year...Upstate NY, Canada, or MI...buy a new pair and run a same-brand set.

Also, in regards to traction control, I've found the best results from pressing the button off once. This turns off the power limitations but leaves on the stability control. Helps with getting up hills, etc, but to be honest it doesn't matter. I can turn it all the way off and as long as you don't drive like an idiot the tires pretty much do all the work. Good snows are a night and day difference compared to no-seasons.

ryankokesh
11-12-2015, 06:54 AM
Also, I'd buy a pair of the Blizzaks and then run them in the rear with the older ones in the front just for peace of mind. Not worth taking chances if you are going to be encountering a good bit of snow, but that really depends on location. Here in the mid-atlantic I'd run what people are recommending especially since they are calling for a mild winter this year...Upstate NY, Canada, or MI...buy a new pair and run a same-brand set.

Also, in regards to traction control, I've found the best results from pressing the button off once. This turns off the power limitations but leaves on the stability control. Helps with getting up hills, etc, but to be honest it doesn't matter. I can turn it all the way off and as long as you don't drive like an idiot the tires pretty much do all the work. Good snows are a night and day difference compared to no-seasons.

Agreed, on both points. (Contingent on the tread depth of the current blizzys, of course :) )

NoVAphotog
11-12-2015, 07:06 AM
Agreed, on both points. (Contingent on the tread depth of the current blizzys, of course :) )
Of course. :thumbsup

ryankokesh
11-12-2015, 07:09 AM
Of course. :thumbsup

Mike V
11-12-2015, 08:14 AM
Always want the grippier tires in the rear, regardless of conditions. You want to avoid having more grip up front, because snap oversteer isn't fun.

skweezr
11-12-2015, 11:59 AM
Holy cow this forum is awesome. Thank you so much everyone for all of the info. I will study up and let you guys know.

Vas
11-12-2015, 01:04 PM
Holy cow this forum is awesome. Thank you so much everyone for all of the info. I will study up and let you guys know.

Where are you located and how bad do the winters get there?

Daddyoh
11-12-2015, 01:23 PM
:rockon Welcome, and congrats to you on your choice of car AND forum!

ecrabb
11-12-2015, 01:30 PM
Just one point of clarification... It's not the "clear coat" coming off the wheel. Those wheels (as are many BMW wheels) are painted. What's coming off is the entire paint layer (along with any additional clear-coat), revealing the bare oxidized/corroded aluminum underneath.

What usually starts this process is that a rock or other debris pierces the painted coating. Then, salt-water from the road gets into that opening, which starts the aluminum corroding. Once it starts corroding, the oxidation and corrosion expand, bubbling the paint, exposing even more aluminum to the elements, and the process continues. That's how you end up with those big "sheets" of loose paint. The chrome wheels on my H3 did the same thing.

Like Vas said, do a little prep to knock all that loose paint off, clean them up as best you can, and give them a quick Plast-Dip job and you'll have a darn nice-looking winter setup.

Cheers,
SC

skweezr
11-12-2015, 02:23 PM
The blizzak's should be directional and will be side dependent. I have a set of them currently for sale and from my experience with them, I would run them in the rear.

What's your location and what are your winter driving needs? Are you going to be dealing with heavy snow or more ice and or slush? The e46 with the D.SC. does great in snow and with good snows it you should have little or no problem.

May want to read up on how the D.SC. works before the first snow. You may need to change the mode in heavy snow situations and turn off the rev limiter.

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

The Blizzaks are directional. I did read up a bit on the DSC system - I would have just guessed on/off but now understand there is a "long press" for OFF-OFF.
I'm in Cincinnati - so most winters we don't get too much snow. I will probably mount the Blizzaks on the rear based on all the suggestions in this thread.

skweezr
11-12-2015, 02:25 PM
Where are you located and how bad do the winters get there?

I'm in Cincinnati. The winters vary quite a bit but usually aren't too bad. 2 years ago it felt like Cleveland moved down to join us in Cincinnati. It was a bad winter. But last year we got almost no snow. Just slush.

skweezr
11-12-2015, 04:45 PM

Thanks for your detailed reply - it did help. There is about 8/32 on the Blizzaks and 10/32 on the off brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryankokesh
11-12-2015, 05:03 PM
Thanks for your detailed reply - it did help. There is about 8/32 on the Blizzaks and 10/32 on the off brand.

Cool, should be set for a winter or two with the blizzaks. If you plan on keeping the car for a while I would personally bite the bullet and get a matching pair. I guess there's not much harm in giving the off brand a shot up front, but I have a feeling you won't enjoy them if you plan on doing anything close to "spirited driving". That's where the LM60s excel... Getting you through the snow and not making it feel like you're driving on a yoga mat.

Vas
11-12-2015, 07:33 PM
You can sell those front two tires on Craigslist. Just an idea