PDA

View Full Version : As an aging car guy, BMW was inevitable.

UWISHU1
11-16-2015, 11:11 PM
In high school it was American muscle. In college it was VTEC. As an adult it's been AWD turbo. Now that I need the best combination of comfort and performance, two years of research led me to ZHP, and the last two months were spent finding an unmolested one with 59K. So here's the new Pony in my stable. I'm big into forums, so looking forward to being part of the ZHP family.

Here's how she sits locked behind a gate on the side of the house until I have time to get an alarm installed.

First inquiry I have is any input on good or bad ideas for security. Any suggestions/advice is super helpful.

Thx in advance,
-U

skweezr
11-17-2015, 03:27 AM
Wow. Only 59k. Your car looks great. Tell us more about it. Good luck with your project to improve the security on the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vas
11-17-2015, 04:40 AM
Welcome

KevinC
11-17-2015, 06:20 AM
Welcome! Beautiful car.

As for security - an alarm isn't going to keep anyone out that really wants in. I'm sure you're aware of that. What are you trying to protect that would be attractive to thieves? Aftermarket tunes?

Probably best to add the BMW alarm. It will activate the "clown nose" at the bottom of the mirror. That flashing red light will probably keep amateurs away as well as the alarm itself. A "pro" won't care about either. Good luck!

cakM3
11-17-2015, 06:33 AM
Welcome! Beautiful car.

+1

Probably best to add the BMW alarm. It will activate the "clown nose" at the bottom of the mirror. That flashing red light will probably keep amateurs away as well as the alarm itself. A "pro" won't care about either. Good luck!

I have to agree with Kevin.. the best in my opinion is to get the factory BMW alarm.

Vas
11-17-2015, 07:06 AM
I would first program so that the clown nose blinks when the car is locked. After that an OEM alarm.

Sockethead
11-17-2015, 07:32 AM
Welcome! Sounds like we followed the same path to BMWs. My wife was a big time Honda girl in the late 90s and 00s... Now she's a BMW girl too.
You ride looks sweet... And low mileage is a great bonus

johnrando
11-17-2015, 07:41 AM
Welcome. Nice car. I agree, clown nose activated, then BMW OEM alarm.

3ZHPGUY
11-17-2015, 08:11 AM
Welcome! Nice find.

slater
11-17-2015, 08:25 AM
welcome! i love TiAg!

i also went the VTEC>AWD Turbo>BMW route over the last 20 years. couldn't be happier with the ZHP as a family hauler. it is incredibly well-rounded.

BMWCurves
11-17-2015, 10:02 AM
Welcome! Beautiful car. As stated above, I would have the clown nose (red light underneath the rearview mirror) coded to blink while the car is locked which does not require the alarm (my old '03 330Ci didn't have an alarm but the clown nose blinked). And I'd go with BMW's system since the car I believe all of our cars are prewired for it, it isn't particularly expensive, and should do the job just fine.

UWISHU1
11-17-2015, 11:02 AM
Thx fellas. Good to know that eye sore is called the clown nose. It's hideous. lol Took me a few days to figure out to turn it.

When I lock the car, it does blink. Does this mean I've got a factory alarm? Or is it possibly just a deterrent? It's silent when I lock/unlock.

I installed alarms and audio for a few years, so can anyone tell me more about the factory alarm and how secure it actually is?

I've always done alarms because I always do pretty serious audio. The wife (and son on the way) just moved into a new house so the garage is full of boxes, which means the car is outside. I also want peace of mind if I happen to park in a shady parking lot at the movie theater or something. I prefer Viper/Clifford alarms that page me when triggered.

KevinC
11-17-2015, 11:09 AM
It may just be programmed to flash, without the alarm. Do you get an audible beep when locking/unlocking? If so - you have the alarm. If not - nope.

You'll chase 95% of potential miscreants with the blinking clown nose. Anybody serious about getting in won't care about an actual alarm. But the casual kid on the street will probably move on if he sees the clown nose. If I'm in your shoes, I stick with that. But I don't know your personal situation as far as where you park etc.

CarbonZHP
11-17-2015, 11:29 AM
So far I'm starting with BMW and I really hope I don't end up at VTEC. Next may be AWD Turbo. Welcome!

slater
11-17-2015, 11:57 AM
So far I'm starting with BMW and I really hope I don't end up at VTEC. Next may be AWD Turbo. Welcome!

nothing wrong with VTEC... honda makes amazing motors. even the 3.5L V6 in my odyssey is incredible. the rest of the van is not so great.

Sockethead
11-17-2015, 12:11 PM
OEM alarm has interior motion detection, hood switch and tilt switch. No need for an extra fob.
That's about it. No fancy smart phone interface or anything.
From what I've heard the ignition lockout can be pretty tricky for third party alarm

UWISHU1
11-17-2015, 01:17 PM
Good info. Thx gents.

danewilson77
11-17-2015, 06:38 PM
Welcome home

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

oldzilla
11-17-2015, 08:05 PM
Welcome.

SwiftyM3
11-18-2015, 07:21 AM
Quite a spread on prior types of cars. Welcome to BMW and the mafia. Not sure if i missed it, AT or MT?

yura
11-18-2015, 03:18 PM
If you're looking to keep your car save at home, add motion sensors to the side of your house that are hooked up to flood lights, and perhaps a loud alarm (depending on the location of sensors). And the factory BMW alarm can't hurt, either.

ELCID86
11-18-2015, 06:52 PM
nothing wrong with VTEC... honda makes amazing motors. even the 3.5L V6 in my odyssey is incredible. the rest of the van is not so great.

LOL. I don't like the MPG either.

Welcome. Code the clown nose to blink.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

UWISHU1
11-19-2015, 10:41 PM
Welcome home
haha thx man

Welcome.
Why thank you, good sir.

Quite a spread on prior types of cars. Welcome to BMW and the mafia. Not sure if i missed it, AT or MT?
I don't slushbox ;)

If you're looking to keep your car save at home, add motion sensors to the side of your house that are hooked up to flood lights, and perhaps a loud alarm (depending on the location of sensors). And the factory BMW alarm can't hurt, either.
Does anyone have basic info on what it takes to add a factory alarm, and how hard it is or isn't to bypass? This includes getting into the car. I ask because this car is worth $7K more than insurance will give me for it, and I generally end up with about $5k in stereo equipment in my cars. Also, any info on if installing an aftermarket like Clifford/Viper? I remember BMW's being a PITA.

LOL. I don't like the MPG either.

Welcome. Code the clown nose to blink.
Mine does blink, so I'm happy about that anyway.

fredo
11-20-2015, 12:02 PM
Welcome, sir. Silver is among my favorite colors.

Sockethead
11-21-2015, 08:27 AM
Google e46 OEM alarm install... there are a couple of videos on YouTube :thumbsup

UWISHU1
11-22-2015, 10:12 PM
Welcome, sir. Silver is among my favorite colors.
Me too. Part of why I went this route. I've always loved Euro clear on silver. I also want to stick with factory alloy wheels these days, so I like that silver goes well with them.

Google e46 OEM alarm install... there are a couple of videos on YouTube :thumbsup
It's so funny how I can ponder something I'm unsure of and don't think of Google until someone suggests it. I use Google at least a few times every day of my life. lol

Thx!