PDA

View Full Version : Drivers Airbag recall and replacement - happening as we speak

Jon D
12-03-2015, 12:48 PM
Sitting at my local dealer having drivers airbag replaced under a "temporary " repair. I got a letter last week indicating parts were available for a temp repair until a permanent replacement was available. Called the dealer on Monday they had the part today. Brought the car in.

From what I understand they are only doing these for FL and Hawaii cars at this point. Not sure if that's true but keep an eye out for a letter if you fall into a southern high humidity area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BMWCurves
12-03-2015, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the update, I've sort of lost track of this after BMW removed my VIN from the recall. Checked again today and it's back. I can't get over how the stock image guy looks like he's rocking both a headset and a bluetooth earpiece:

330i Lover
12-04-2015, 01:01 PM
I'm surprised we haven't heard any more about this. As far as I can tell this was announced back in July and with 2016 around the corner it seems like no progress has been made with this recall rollout.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g472/garrett141us/Random%20Pics%20for%20posting%20online/a1pissedoff_zpsdslrofop.jpg (http://s1103.photobucket.com/user/garrett141us/media/Random%20Pics%20for%20posting%20online/a1pissedoff_zpsdslrofop.jpg.html)

fredo
12-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about it earlier. :dunno

KevinC
12-04-2015, 02:28 PM
Hey here's a question - when these finally get replaced, is the cover piece w/roundel also part of the replacement? I'm pretty sure it is - and if so that's awesome because my roundels and cover piece in both cars are looking, uh, a decade old at this point.

Pip
12-04-2015, 03:09 PM
Hey here's a question - when these finally get replaced, is the cover piece w/roundel also part of the replacement? I'm pretty sure it is - and if so that's awesome because my roundels and cover piece in both cars are looking, uh, a decade old at this point.
Thought about that as well and am happy to get mine replaced. Mine is actually in pretty awesome shape but I wouldn't mind having a new roundel. I hope so

Sent from my OnePlus 2

Jon D
12-04-2015, 03:23 PM

Yes I am happy to report mine was replaced as it was showing some age. 👍😁

Johnmadd
12-04-2015, 05:58 PM
Yes I am happy to report mine was replaced as it was showing some age. ����

Awesome sauce!

mynamenumber
12-05-2015, 03:43 PM
My '05 ZHP was born into Hawaii, before coming to Oregon years ago. Is there some way to force a check on this or is it just a "wait and see" process?

KevinC
12-05-2015, 05:14 PM
My '05 ZHP was born into Hawaii, before coming to Oregon years ago. Is there some way to force a check on this or is it just a "wait and see" process?

I'm in a similar boat - my car spent the first 7 years of its life in Florida. Don't know whether that really matters but if humidity is an issue, maybe so? Or is it more important where the car resides now? Because if that's the case, I'm in about the driest place on the planet.

330i Lover
12-07-2015, 12:41 PM
I just called BMW to learn more about this and she said that they(BMW of Nashville) still don't have the parts nor have they heard any more information from BMW on when they can expect the parts. She also said that they are having a hard time producing them to meet the demand of the affected cars. I asked if i could buy the parts for retail price because the driver's side airbag is kinda a huge safety concern and she said that I'd need to call the BMW Customer Relations 1.800.525.7417 for more info on that. Lovely.