View Full Version : Vandalism sucks

Mtl_ZHP
12-06-2015, 12:37 AM
Walked up to my car tonight and had a nice surprise waiting for me. Some drunk &^%$$$$@*&#&)(#*$@#)*$& broke off my passenger side mirror which is now hanging from the cable and happily scratching my door. Now obviously I can't go to sleep without searching how I can fix this issue and how I'll be using my car with this dangling thing.

I'm thinking I'll try to tape it back into place temporarily so that it stops scratching my door during my 4 hour drive tomorrow. After doing some research, I've found not surprisingly that the mirror housing is a single piece and I'll have to spend near 400$ CAD and wait until mid January to get this online and shipped to Canada.

Does anyone here have an idea/recommendation that will save me from this awful situation? If anyone has a spare laying around I'd be interested since it seems I can replace the color matched cap and mirror using the spares off the broken one.

I have a silvergrey 05 ZHP coupe with shadowline trim.

Thanks

BADCLOWN
12-06-2015, 01:34 AM
Find a car being parted out and purchase a used unit. Also check e46fanatics.com for cars being parted out in the classifieds. Sorry that happened man, big bummer

BCS_ZHP
12-06-2015, 04:53 AM
There is a guy in the DC area, he parts out wrecked Bimmers, he knows/loves what a ZHP is and normally has one or two. He ships parts all over the US so suspect he'll ship up north too. Probably is easiest to text him since he has a day job too, his name is John @ two-zero-two-294-8614. Good luck, hopefully he can help you out.

anandoc
12-06-2015, 06:09 AM
OP, you can buy full mirror assemblies for quite cheap on ebay. I bought a driver's side assembly for about $100 shipped earlier this year when the mirror motor went kaput.

If you go with the full mirror assembly, make sure you get the one with the right connections (ribbon cable v/s the regular cables).

az3579
12-06-2015, 08:09 AM
OP, you can buy full mirror assemblies for quite cheap on ebay. I bought a driver's side assembly for about $100 shipped earlier this year when the mirror motor went kaput.

If you go with the full mirror assembly, make sure you get the one with the right connections (ribbon cable v/s the regular cables).

Yes, these are VERY cheap. I bought the assembly I stole the motor from for $75.
I would offer to bring one to you, but I won't be in Canada 'till next summer. I doubt you'd want to wait that long...

anandoc
12-06-2015, 03:11 PM
Yes, these are VERY cheap. I bought the assembly I stole the motor from for $75.
I would offer to bring one to you, but I won't be in Canada 'till next summer. I doubt you'd want to wait that long...

Yup, BP graciously offered to be my car parts smuggling mule last time for the mirror assembly that saved me a bunch of money :)

Johnmadd
12-06-2015, 06:05 PM
Keister it :rofl

johnrando
12-06-2015, 06:40 PM
Sorry that happened but glad ur getting it fixed

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

slater
12-07-2015, 05:16 AM

you could ship it?

also, Mtl_ZHP, i know of a guy parting out ZHPs and M Sports in the GTA. PM me and i'll send you his contact info.

az3579
12-07-2015, 10:09 AM
you could ship it?

Defeats the purpose... lol
He could just buy it then and have it shipped directly. Would be cheaper as well...

Fenrir
12-07-2015, 12:05 PM
Sorry to hear about the damage :(. Time for M3 mirrors?

Sent from a blue police box

yura
12-07-2015, 12:16 PM
Check the local junk yards - might luck out.

Mtl_ZHP
01-10-2016, 11:29 AM
Sorry for the late response guys, been running around like crazy the last month with this on top of it. I appreciate the support and for offering great options BP and anandoc :) Thanks a bunch!

Here is an update: I had someone look into all the scrap yards and they ended up finding possible 1 in the US, but couldn't guarantee it was a shadowline from a ZHP. Parts on ECS or other website came to 400$ CAN shipped approximately and I'd have to do the fix.

I felt that there were high chances I could end up with the wrong thing if I ordered from Ebay (wrong connection, trim, and any surprise there could be in that US vs Canadian model might have different electrical systems inside the housing...). Also, the film on my mirror glass on that side had started leaking due to the heated mirror, which is common on E46's.

So I called up my insurance and had them tell me since this was vandalism, my rate would go up for 10 years if I did the claim (approx 100$ going down gradually). If it had been a hit and run, no problem, but vandalism I have to pay for, go figure.

So with my month being crazy and all and me not wanting to deal with returning parts that wouldn't fit halfway during the fix, I decided to have my local BMW fix this under my insurance. The quoted 820$ CAN lol, but I might get a new glass in the process... I went this week to drop it off and ended up not getting fixed because the part they got was defective when they installed.

So basically a lot of time wasted but I think this might have been the good decision given the circumstances.

ELCID86
01-10-2016, 12:28 PM
Glad you got it fixed. Sucks about the insurance coverage.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46f member

alexandre
01-10-2016, 04:46 PM
Canbec I take it? What a ripoff. Had I seen this in December we could have set something up - I brought in a boatload of parts right about then for my subframe!

Do you have pictures of the damage? I could buy out your old housing - my passenger mirror motor is toast.

Sockethead
01-10-2016, 05:55 PM
At least you get a 2 year warranty from the dealer

az3579
01-11-2016, 02:59 PM
Dude... that is absolutely NOT worth the cost of higher insurance. How about I find you one and ship it to you?
Hopefully it's not too late...

You can get it painted on your own time if the color doesn't match... it's just the cover, so when you want to get it painted you just take the cover off and you can keep the mirror installed on the car while it gets done. I HATE seeing someone get shafted by insurance...

Mtl_ZHP
01-15-2016, 08:33 PM
Canbec I take it? What a ripoff. Had I seen this in December we could have set something up - I brought in a boatload of parts right about then for my subframe!

Do you have pictures of the damage? I could buy out your old housing - my passenger mirror motor is toast.

Yeah Canbec. But what do you expect from any garage... Yeah I have this one pic. I'll tell them to keep all the parts for me and let you know. Like I said the glass is fugly but everything was functional.23718

At least you get a 2 year warranty from the dealer

Exactly, and that if anything goes bad it's not my problem.

I HATE seeing someone get shafted by insurance...

Don't we all get shafted lol :guns I appreciate you offering BP but I decided I'm gonna bite the bullet on this one. It's winter, the time of year I hate working on my car, and I have a lot of projects going on. This guarantees me I won't have to think about that mirror again, ever. Insurance will be hearing from me when I re-sign later this year. Don't think they'll like all of my family, 2 houses and 3 cars to leave because of this.

Thanks for the help and support guys!

/E

FungShui
01-15-2016, 10:51 PM
I had similar things happen to me when when I was at college. Some person drove too close my car and took out the driver's side mirror. Besides the destroyed mirror they dented the A pillar and still have souvenir because the body shop quoted me over 1000 to fix it. Another time my car as key on both rear fenders and trunk and was boxed in with dumpsters. I have had my insurance cover the damages.