PDA

View Full Version : DSC and Brake Light On

Johnd
12-11-2015, 04:59 PM
Well driving home tonight the DSC and Brake Lights came on solid yellow. I connected my Peak tool but I guess it doesn't display codes for this fault. I know on my old E36 and X5 this usually meant a problem with the wheel speed sensors. However reading here, some people have indicated there is a sensor on the master cylinder that goes bad. Is it more common for the wheel speed sensor or steering angle sensor to fail than the sensor on the master cylinder? I also checked the brake fluid and in is about 1/4 under the max mark. I have hear low fluid could cause this but I think mine is pretty full. Where would you guys start to troubleshoot this? Should I just drive around for a few days to see if it goes out?

Johnmadd
12-11-2015, 05:41 PM
How old is your battery?

Vas
12-11-2015, 08:52 PM
I had a similar issue. Scanned the car for codes and it came back for the pressure sensor. I reset it and it has not come back yet. But I bought both sensors.

I also cleaned the abs sensors.

Johnd
12-12-2015, 06:03 AM
I just got the car last month so I'm not sure how old the battery is. I looked at it this morning and it appears to have been replaced at some point and time with an aftermarket battery. If it is the pressure sensor how big of a pain are they to replace..

Vas
12-12-2015, 07:10 AM
Not too difficult but will have to drain the brake fluid and then bleed the system.

Just_George
12-12-2015, 09:19 AM
John, I had the same problem on my 330ci - cleaned the sensors, didn't help. Had the codes read and got one that said "implausible data from steering angle sensor" (or some words to that effect) In any case, an alignment solved my problem - something to consider.

Johnd
12-12-2015, 10:08 AM
I just had new tires put on a few weeks ago - I am wondering if that might have thrown off the alignment. I am just hoping it isn't the pressure valves on the master cylinder as I don't want to mess with the abs

Johnd
12-12-2015, 10:49 AM
Strange I started the car this morning and the lights are out. Drove it for about 5 miles and no lights

Just_George
12-12-2015, 12:12 PM
It's magic! Mine was a bit intermittent, so give it some time before you declare it solved...but keep your fingers crossed as well!

slater
12-12-2015, 12:18 PM
ironic, mine came on 2 days ago. scanned with PASoft - faulty right rear wheel speed sensor. i removed it, cleaned up, and disconnected/reconnected, same error. will be ordering a new one.

Johnd
12-13-2015, 02:48 PM
Funny thing is mine came on as I was trying to catch up to a silver ZHP sedan on Colonial Blvd. in Fort Myers - if it was someone on this board you have a nice looking car..

Just_George
12-13-2015, 03:29 PM
Weren't me...but I've driven Colonial Blvd. many times in the past! My folks used to have a place down there...

Asiah119
12-14-2015, 10:45 AM
I have had this happen multiple times, code comes up as... something--it has been a while since it has happened and I puled the code-- whatever the code is isnt accurate. I've just accepted it as something that my car does.