PDA

View Full Version : Refreshing my ZHP - thoughts?

bosszhp
12-18-2015, 11:06 PM
So my old gal is getting up there in miles, almost 209k, and after addressing a lot of maintenance items since taking ownership (brakes, cooling system, bushings, etc.) I'm starting to look at giving her a few power mods/refresh. My idea is headers, tune and a set of Beisan VANOS Seals and Rattle Kit installed all at the same time. I had originally planned on going with the Shark Injector but after finding out I need a battery charger (which I don't have) coupled with the fact that my indy shop is a dealer for Active Autowerkes and suddenly I'm leaning towards AA. As for headers it's a toss up between eBay headers or Bimmerbrakes, I've read a lot of positive and negative things about the eBay headers as well as the Bimmerbrake headers so I don't want to open that can of worms. Any thoughts on those mods or something else I should throw in there to give my ZHP a nice refresh? I should note that the PO refreshed the suspension so not too concerned about that right now (Koni FSD's and Eibach Springs ftw).

johnrando
12-21-2015, 06:11 PM
All sounds good. I don't know much about the headers. Check out Eurocharge's tune/mafia price as well but AA is a nice tune if you can get it at a good price.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BMWCurves
12-21-2015, 06:50 PM
I can't really weigh in since I don't have first hand experience with headers, but some members have gotten headers along with full exhausts so they could give you a better idea what to expect and look out for. Does Florida have emissions inspections? If so, headers might give you some trouble. At any rate, that all sounds good. FWIW, I like my Shark Injector, but the benefits weren't night and day, IMO. It just adds little bits of improvement here and there so don't feel too bad about waiting on purchasing a tune.

Perhaps consider under drive pulleys or a different intake? The latter is more for aural aesthetics than anything else, but combined with headers and a freer flowing exhaust, it might have more tangible benefits.

bosszhp
12-22-2015, 09:42 AM
I can't really weigh in since I don't have first hand experience with headers, but some members have gotten headers along with full exhausts so they could give you a better idea what to expect and look out for. Does Florida have emissions inspections? If so, headers might give you some trouble. At any rate, that all sounds good. FWIW, I like my Shark Injector, but the benefits weren't night and day, IMO. It just adds little bits of improvement here and there so don't feel too bad about waiting on purchasing a tune.

Perhaps consider under drive pulleys or a different intake? The latter is more for aural aesthetics than anything else, but combined with headers and a freer flowing exhaust, it might have more tangible benefits.

Thanks for your input on the tune, I may hold off on that since my indy shop quoted me $1100 (labor) for the VANOS seals, rattle kit and headers.

John, I saw in your sig you did the Beisan VANOS on your ZHP, was the outcome as good as everyone says it is? From what I've read there is a noticeable increase in low-end torque with the new seals.

johnrando
12-22-2015, 02:39 PM
I did several other things at the same to mine so no idea on the increase due to the Besian kit, but from everything I've read and the few people I know personally who've done it, it's worth it. My car did perform better but I put a Dinan throttle body on it along with other things.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sockethead
12-23-2015, 08:56 AM
The VANOS rebuild will bring back the low end torque. I noticed a pretty significant improvement

ryankokesh
12-23-2015, 09:01 AM
I should note that the PO refreshed the suspension so not too concerned about that right now (Koni FSD's and Eibach Springs ftw).

I have little of value to add to this conversation, but I also really like my FSDs and Eibachs!

bosszhp
12-23-2015, 09:44 AM
The VANOS rebuild will bring back the low end torque. I noticed a pretty significant improvement

Good to hear because right now my low-end torque is non existent sub 3k rpm. Only thing that worries me a bit is that I've read people saying headers reduce a little bit of lower RPM torque. Anyone with headers on their ZHP that can comment on this? I guess it won't matter too much because without the VANOS seals and headers I practically have no low end torque haha.

Sockethead
12-23-2015, 11:28 AM
Have you checked your DISA valve? When they fail it can affect performance too....

ELCID86
12-23-2015, 12:49 PM
Agree with VANOS and DISA as a start. Add a Pedal Box or Sprint booster too!

bosszhp
12-23-2015, 06:37 PM
Have you checked your DISA valve? When they fail it can affect performance too....

Going to pull my DISA valve and check it. What are the symptoms of a failed DISA? I don't have any misfires, lean bank codes or rough idle. Just that annoying clatter/rattle when the car is idling (which 95% of the time goes away when I engage the clutch so I figured it was the typical "zhp rattle"). Seeing as my car has 209k miles though I would be very surprised if the DISA didn't need replaced.

Sockethead
12-23-2015, 08:09 PM
Inconsistent power around 4000 rpm. But also in extreme failure there is a chance of broken parts getting sucked down the intake into engine.
For me, it appeared that it was functioning correctly when I checked it but I decided to rebuild it anyway. After the rebuild the car ran much better.
I recommend using the G. A. S. DISA valve repair kit
https://www.germanautosolutions.com/bmw_solutions/disa_products/m54_m52tu/m54_disa_repair_kit/product_m54_disa_repair_kit.php

bosszhp
12-23-2015, 10:12 PM
Inconsistent power around 4000 rpm. But also in extreme failure there is a chance of broken parts getting sucked down the intake into engine.
For me, it appeared that it was functioning correctly when I checked it but I decided to rebuild it anyway. After the rebuild the car ran much better.
I recommend using the G. A. S. DISA valve repair kit
https://www.germanautosolutions.com/bmw_solutions/disa_products/m54_m52tu/m54_disa_repair_kit/product_m54_disa_repair_kit.php

How hard was the rebuild? Bav Auto has a 330 DISA for $169 right now, debating if it would be better to just get a new one or rebuild my old one.

Just_George
12-24-2015, 05:12 AM
Do the G.A.S. kit - easy, and better than new when finished.

Sockethead
12-24-2015, 07:54 AM
The GAS kit is a redesign of the flapper and shaft much better than OEM.
With you mileage, you should pull it first and make sure it can be rebuilt. Sometimes they are too far gone. I believe there are instructions on their website that explains what to look for.

ELCID86
12-24-2015, 08:53 AM
Do the G.A.S. kit - easy, and better than new when finished.

+1

bosszhp
12-24-2015, 10:34 AM
I just pulled my DISA and tried the test by covering the hole and closing the flapper valve but nothing is happening when I take my thumb off. Either I'm doing it wrong or this thing is shot. It's certainly dirty...

Edit: Definitely shot, flapper valve has no more spring-loaded movement (moves freely) and it doesn't move the actuator valve when I move the flapper. Will a rebuild kit fix this or would I be better off buying a new one?

danewilson77
12-24-2015, 10:49 AM
It shouldn't move much with your thumb over the hole of I remember correctly.

https://youtu.be/3RyiEJuX4ZQ

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

ELCID86
12-24-2015, 10:55 AM
does not move much and make sure it's the correct hole (there are two). That is one of the more "gunky" ones that I have seen.

bosszhp
12-24-2015, 11:00 AM
does not move much and make sure it's the correct hole (there are two). That is one of the more "gunky" ones that I have seen.

This was the hole I was holding as per the GAS DIY page:

Holding that hole and closing the flapper then releasing my thumb had no affect whatsoever.

BMWCurves
12-24-2015, 11:02 AM

+1 but not surprising given it would have 209k miles on it if it is original.

bosszhp
12-24-2015, 11:33 AM
Will I need to replace the whole thing then or will the GAS kit work?

Just_George
12-24-2015, 11:37 AM
This was the hole I was holding as per the GAS DIY page:

Holding that hole and closing the flapper then releasing my thumb had no affect whatsoever.

Do it the the other way - move the flapper, then cover the hole. The flapper shouldn't move much. If it does, the vacuum can is shot and you'll need a new DISA. If it holds, the rebuild kit should work fine... You might want to pop the cover off the other side and inspect the lever that connects the vac can to the flapper just to see if there's a problem, but typically it's the hex-shaped end of the flapper shaft that wears out and prevents proper operation.

bosszhp
12-24-2015, 11:50 AM
Do it the the other way - move the flapper, then cover the hole. The flapper shouldn't move much. If it does, the vacuum can is shot and you'll need a new DISA. If it holds, the rebuild kit should work fine... You might want to pop the cover off the other side and inspect the lever that connects the vac can to the flapper just to see if there's a problem, but typically it's the hex-shaped end of the flapper shaft that wears out and prevents proper operation.

Tried it both ways and the flapper still moved freely. Looks like my best bet would probably be to pick one up from Bav Auto for $170 or see if I can snatch one from eBay. Do the new ones need rebuilt too or did BMW fix the problem?

Sockethead
12-24-2015, 12:13 PM
No they didn't fix the problem but a brand new one should last a pretty long time.

Just_George
12-24-2015, 12:27 PM
Tried it both ways and the flapper still moved freely. Looks like my best bet would probably be to pick one up from Bav Auto for $170 or see if I can snatch one from eBay. Do the new ones need rebuilt too or did BMW fix the problem?

That's why popping off the cover and seeing if the arm moves helps - if the shaft is worn, the flapper will move regardless of whether or not the vac can is good. Agree though that a new one should last a long time.

bosszhp
12-24-2015, 12:52 PM
That's why popping off the cover and seeing if the arm moves helps - if the shaft is worn, the flapper will move regardless of whether or not the vac can is good. Agree though that a new one should last a long time.

I'll pull the DISA again when I get a chance and check the lever. Don't think the wife would appreciate me spending even more time working on the ZHP on Christmas Eve!

ELCID86
12-24-2015, 01:15 PM
I'll pull the DISA again when I get a chance and check the lever. Don't think the wife would appreciate me spending even more time working on the ZHP on Christmas Eve!

Good idea... I've been home all day and wandered out to the garage a few times but pulled myself back inside before I got caught! I did fill the new LSD while it's on the workbench :-)

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46f member

bosszhp
01-03-2016, 06:07 PM
Went a little different route, just picked up an aFe intake today. Tomorrow all new spark plugs and a coil for cylinder one are going in and I've got a slightly used OEM DISA valve on the way that I plan on rebuilding with a G.A.S kit. Oh and the VANOS seals and anti rattle kit! She's gunna be better than new when I'm finished! :thumbsup