PDA

View Full Version : i didn't know the E46 had rear-wheel steering?! (check those RTABs!)

slater
01-12-2016, 08:42 AM
har har. :)

i came across this video comparing each generation of M3 - not a great video, but the amount of rear wheel passive steering - likely due to soft and/or dead RTABs - was pretty amazing.

check 8:55 and 11:10 in the video (worst part is 11:16-11:19) - watch the rear wheel movement!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uNiye9G8HI

i'm quite pleased with my bimmerworld sealed spherical RTABs, thanks for asking. ;)

:cheers

Vas
01-12-2016, 08:58 AM
I highly enjoyed this video for some reason.

Also worn RTAB will also be felt upon acceleration and braking.

slater
01-12-2016, 09:07 AM
I highly enjoyed this video for some reason.

Also worn RTAB will also be felt upon acceleration and braking.

yep, for sure - it just was amazing to SEE the movement - a lot more than i was expecting.

BMWCurves
01-12-2016, 09:27 AM
yep, for sure - it just was amazing to SEE the movement - a lot more than i was expecting.

No kidding. I didn't know worn RTABs could be so visible at speed.

Sockethead
01-12-2016, 10:35 AM
When I was checking RTAB deflection with a pry bar, I couldn't believe how little effort it took to move them...

d-rod
10-12-2018, 02:54 PM
har har. :)

i came across this video comparing each generation of M3 - not a great video, but the amount of rear wheel passive steering - likely due to soft and/or dead RTABs - was pretty amazing.

check 8:55 and 11:10 in the video (worst part is 11:16-11:19) - watch the rear wheel movement!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uNiye9G8HI

i'm quite pleased with my bimmerworld sealed spherical RTABs, thanks for asking. ;)

:cheers

I know this is super old but I just installed the bimmerworld sealed RTABs and vehicle definitely drives great but NVH over bumps etc seem really harsh. Did you find this to be the case ???

ZHPizza
10-12-2018, 04:33 PM
I know this is super old but I just installed the bimmerworld sealed RTABs and vehicle definitely drives great but NVH over bumps etc seem really harsh. Did you find this to be the case ???I put the cheap Moog ball joints in and it is stupid loud back there. I'm still waiting to make a judgement after I get the new tires on, but it sounds like an old truck on certain bumps.

PetesZ
10-12-2018, 07:44 PM
I’ll do the bimmer world ones at the beginning of next autocross season.

Going to finish up the front suspension first.

But the RTAB are near the top of the list for next year.

Newjack
10-13-2018, 10:44 AM
I’ll do the bimmer world ones at the beginning of next autocross season.

Going to finish up the front suspension first.

But the RTAB are near the top of the list for next year.

Make sure you borrow the tool to pop them in. I'm speaking as the village idiot who did not use the tool. It is well worth avoiding the headache.