PDA

View Full Version : Fuel won't stop coming out of blue fuel line during fuel filter change

NickZHP
02-17-2016, 04:35 PM
I'm in the middle of changing my fuel filter and when I removed the blue line, gas came out. Nothing I didn't expect. But then it kept coming... and coming... I had to close the line with a c-clamp to stop it from flowing out. As you can see in the bucket there is a lot of gas that came out. I removed the fuse to the fuel pump so it's not like its pumping gas into the lines. Is this normal? Do I let it keep draining? I can't even imagine why this is happening.

danewilson77
02-17-2016, 04:52 PM
Gravity? I think this is normal. You just have to swap in the new filter in an expeditious manner. You will eat fuel.

Sent from an S6 Edge

slater
02-17-2016, 06:27 PM
did you pull the fuel pump fuse while running prior to removing the fuel filter? you need to do this, otherwise... well, you know the otherwise right now. :)

BMWCurves
02-17-2016, 08:14 PM
I had the same experience when I changed my fuel filter. I pulled the fuse beforehand but gas just kept pouring out. I just swapped the filter as quickly as I could and transferred the excess gasoline to a gas can.

danewilson77
02-17-2016, 08:19 PM
I had the same experience when I changed my fuel filter. I pulled the fuse beforehand but gas just kept pouring out. I just swapped the filter as quickly as I could and transferred the excess gasoline to a gas can.
Yep.

Sent from an S6 Edge

NickZHP
02-17-2016, 10:37 PM
Ah gravity makes sense. I initially thought something was wrong because in a video I saw about replacing the fuel filter there was no fuel coming out of theirs. Glad that's over, I reek of gasoline.

did you pull the fuel pump fuse while running prior to removing the fuel filter? you need to do this, otherwise... well, you know the otherwise right now. :)

I in fact did do that, I think it's just gravity as Dane said.

ELCID86
02-18-2016, 04:04 AM
Wear eye protection.

I've never had that much. Pull fuse and run til stall?

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46fanatic

johnrando
02-18-2016, 07:38 AM
Yup, pull fuse, "run" it, then do the work, but there will still be spillage.

NickZHP
02-18-2016, 07:55 AM
Yes I did exactly that before I started working. I already installed the new one but I was just caught off guard when it didn't stop coming out. It also wasn't coming out fast or anything I just let it flow for more than I should have.

ELCID86
02-18-2016, 08:01 AM
...I just let it flow for more than I should have.

Yes! ;-)

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46fanatic

johnrando
02-22-2016, 09:48 PM
:thumbsup

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

billyjack
02-27-2016, 06:45 AM
I just did a fuel filter change yesterday. I only got about a pint of gas in the pan. I actually got out from under the car for some air before I put the new filter on.

I pulled the fuse and let the engine die, then tried to crank a couple of times to be sure. I had more fuel come out of the old filter than the lines.

This was a fairly easy job except whoever was in there last completely mangled the clamps. Had to use pliers to get them off. I put on new hoses and clamps.

Vas
02-27-2016, 07:31 AM
I need to do this on my imola sedan. Bav auto has the filter and install kit

Jconlin16
02-27-2016, 09:35 AM
I need to do this on my imola sedan. Bav auto has the filter and install kit

Highly recommend that bav auto kit for this job. It made doing the fuel filter so much easier. All of my old hardware and hoses were old and brittle, so I was glad to have new stuff.

Vas
02-27-2016, 11:23 AM
Highly recommend that bav auto kit for this job. It made doing the fuel filter so much easier. All of my old hardware and hoses were old and brittle, so I was glad to have new stuff.
Awesome.

johnrando
02-27-2016, 10:47 PM
Good to get that done.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk