PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty engaging 1st and reverse fixed

AggieBlake
02-18-2016, 06:51 AM
Just thought I'd let you all know (you probably already do) about my experience trying to fix a stubborn transmission. In general, my 97k mile ZHP 6-speed shifts beautifully. The one exception: shifting into 1st or reverse when not moving. It was very difficult at times and required multiple attempts and occasionally a throttle blip. It was worse when the weather was cold. The fluid and transmission mounts were original. So yesterday I replaced the stock fluid with Redline MTL and the stock bushings with UUC blacks. This morning - no trouble at all shifting into either gear from a standstill. It made a discernible and welcome difference. I think the fluid was 90% of the improvement since the stock mounts were not in bad shape.

So anyways, for what it's worth, if your transmission is giving you headaches, start by flushing it with a high-quality fluid, and check your mounts for excessive flex.

Finally, just for point of reference, even though the stock tranny mounts were in decent shape after 97k miles, the engine mounts were not... at all! The passenger mount had collapsed into itself. The driver's mount had shortened about ¼ to ½ inch, though it hadn't yet collapsed. Clearly these should be treated like wear items and should be replaced before 100k miles.

Vas
02-18-2016, 06:59 AM
Yup. On both cars in my fleet, 100k was when i replaced the engine and trans mounts with M3 units.

bosszhp
02-18-2016, 07:04 AM
Need to do this on my ZHP, it's getting increasingly difficult to engage first and reverse from time to time.

AggieBlake
02-18-2016, 07:15 AM
FYI, a decent fluid transfer pump from Harbor Freight makes this job go much easier - ideally one with a hose on both the intake and output side (rather than one that tries to fit within the bottle. Also, trans mounts were really easy to do - took maybe 20 mins total. I did have the exhaust off at the time which made it easy to get wrenches and sockets in and out.

san
02-18-2016, 07:51 AM
I have the same issue and I hoped changing the fluid would help, but it didn't... I plan to replace the tranny mounts once the weather gets a little better and will report back if that helps... Thanks for posting :thumbsup

Edit: oh and I'm envious about your corsa exhaust :biggrin I've been looking for one since I got to sit in BP's car during last year's reunion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slater
02-18-2016, 07:53 AM
FYI, a decent fluid transfer pump from Harbor Freight makes this job go much easier - ideally one with a hose on both the intake and output side (rather than one that tries to fit within the bottle. Also, trans mounts were really easy to do - took maybe 20 mins total. I did have the exhaust off at the time which made it easy to get wrenches and sockets in and out.

yep, it's a LOT easier with the exhaust off. :)

ELCID86
02-18-2016, 08:03 AM
Mine does it--mostly 1st. I do a 2,1 shift and it helps. Need to do my tranny mounts...

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46fanatic

quikryptonite
02-18-2016, 08:05 AM
Mine does it--mostly 1st. I do a 2,1 shift and it helps. Need to do my tranny mounts...

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46fanatic

Me too I think. What does that typically cost at an indy mechanic? I've got one a love and this is just out of my skillset.

ELCID86
02-18-2016, 12:41 PM
Me too I think. What does that typically cost at an indy mechanic? I've got one a love and this is just out of my skillset.

Just tranny shouldn't be more than one hour labor. From what vas said its not a bad diy. Just a pita to access the nuts on top I think.

---

Vas
02-18-2016, 12:47 PM
Replacing trans mounts is very simple. Not a bad diy

AggieBlake
02-18-2016, 12:49 PM
I agree. The 6 bolts on the bottom are obviously easy to reach with a socket set. And the two on top aren't bad with a wrench. As long as you haven't had bad corrosion set in, they should come out easily. Hit them with PB Blaster if they're stubborn. Then just slide the whole brace+mounts rearward and it comes off easily.

CarbonZHP
03-30-2016, 07:15 AM
Mine with brand new fluid and M3 trans/motor mounts is still a beast to get into 1st

ryankokesh
03-30-2016, 09:14 AM

---

Same here... 2 -> 1 has become a habit in winter.

Redline definitely helped, but gotta do mounts too.

CarbonZHP
03-30-2016, 09:23 AM
Plus I'm running the special thicker lightweight fly mix so....bleh

BMWCurves
03-30-2016, 10:10 AM
Replacing trans mounts is very simple. Not a bad diy

Any special tools needed for this? The top nuts seem to be the biggest issue.

CarbonZHP
03-30-2016, 10:11 AM
They're not really an issue. No special tools. Just support the trans with a jack

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ELCID86
03-30-2016, 11:24 AM
New tranny mounts have mostly fixed my issues with getting directly into 1.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

Sockethead
03-30-2016, 04:03 PM
I have the issue too. I have UUC trans mounts and changed my fluid at 80k with BMW trans fluid but I need to change it again at 140k. I haven't done the motor mounts either. I definitely gotta do that.
I find that if I start engaging the clutch while pushing it into first, it will usually roll right in