PDA

View Full Version : Good/Bad News Help

kakashi169
02-23-2016, 03:19 PM
Hi Guys

So the good news is, the manual 6 speed transmission is in. I was so happy to hear this. I took it to my shop (RMP Motors) and they did it within a day! Thats right, a day! With everything programmed and working.

Now the bad news, I got this tranny used from an 05 330. I saw the car myself and it was not a totaled or accident type of car. My mechanic says 1st gear pops out sometimes. Does anyone have any experience in this area and if there is a solution. Please do not tell me the tranny is a lemon (for I think we all know the easiest solution would be to get another one but I dont have the funds), for I know that is the risk we all take when buying used parts. I am simply looking for a solution or advice.

I am sad and down atm.
Thanks in advice fam.
-Daniel

az3579
02-23-2016, 03:20 PM
First gear popping out isn't really a big deal in my eyes as it's never in first long enough to give it an opportunity to cause a problem. It's only used to get going from a stop, and shouldn't be in first in any other situation. You only need like 3-4 seconds in that gear. :)

Sent from my LG V10 on Tapatalk

kakashi169
02-23-2016, 03:24 PM
First gear popping out isn't really a big deal in my eyes as it's never in first long enough to give it an opportunity to cause a problem. It's only used to get going from a stop, and shouldn't be in first in any other situation. You only need like 3-4 seconds in that gear. :)

Thanks for the quick response BP. As you know I have been literally dreaming about this swap, I really appreciate the encouraging words!!!!!!

cakM3
02-23-2016, 03:28 PM
I have to agree with BP Daniel... you shouldn't be in first for long... congrats on the swap! :thumbsup

kakashi169
02-23-2016, 03:29 PM
I have to agree with BP Daniel... you shouldn't be in first for long...

Do you guys start in second gear?

danewilson77
02-23-2016, 03:58 PM
No....
But you can. Very little torque however.

Sent from an S6 Edge

BMWCurves
02-23-2016, 04:26 PM

I do if I'm already rolling (either on a hill or coming up to a line of stopped cars and the light turned green), but otherwise start in first. As everyone else has said, if the popping out of first gear is relatively infrequent, I wouldn't sweat it.

kakashi169
02-23-2016, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I am happy and sad about the swap. I will see it as it is and not worst than it is. I'll find a way to deal with it.

ELCID86
02-23-2016, 05:00 PM

I do sometimes but have a 3.38 gearing. You may also if you had an AT, right?

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

alexandre
02-23-2016, 05:50 PM
I do it all the time with 3.46 too. Have you noticed the thing personally?

slater
02-23-2016, 06:57 PM
it would be a big deal to me. 1st is momentary, yes - but i visit 6800rpm in first gear often. :) (and second gear too ;) )

did you refresh the shift linkage while the trans went in? that would've been a good time to do it. the parts are cheap.

kakashi169
02-23-2016, 07:12 PM
I do sometimes but have a 3.38 gearing. You may also if you had an AT, right?

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

yes, it has a 3.38 diff since I was on an auto

I do it all the time with 3.46 too. Have you noticed the thing personally?

I am going to check it out tmr to see how it is.

it would be a big deal to me. 1st is momentary, yes - but i visit 6800rpm in first gear often. :) (and second gear too ;) )

did you refresh the shift linkage while the trans went in? that would've been a good time to do it. the parts are cheap.

I do not think the shift linkage was refreshed. But if it was needed, my indy would have told me. Would that be a solution tho?

az3579
02-23-2016, 07:42 PM

There's no need to start in 2nd gear, even if 1st is popping out. If you're worried about it, hold your hand on the level while in first to make sure it stays put. I really wouldn't sweat it though.

Even then, you're not spending more than 4 seconds in 1st. :)

kakashi169
02-23-2016, 08:07 PM
There's no need to start in 2nd gear, even if 1st is popping out. If you're worried about it, hold your hand on the level while in first to make sure it stays put. I really wouldn't sweat it though.

If holding the shifter in first solves this problem until I switch gears, I can live with it. Thanks BP for the input!

az3579
02-23-2016, 08:09 PM
If holding the shifter in first solves this problem until I switch gears, I can live with it. Thanks BP for the input!

Well, I guess it's an assumption. I've never had a problem like this so I don't really know what it's like, but I figure if it's something it's doing on its own without someone touching it, it should help to have a little counter force or something. :dunno

kakashi169
02-23-2016, 08:25 PM
Well, I guess it's an assumption. I've never had a problem like this so I don't really know what it's like, but I figure if it's something it's doing on its own without someone touching it, it should help to have a little counter force or something. :dunno

True. We will see how it is tomorrow but learn from my experience and take care of them gears! =\

NoVAphotog
02-23-2016, 08:34 PM

Sorry to hear this is happening, but have to agree with the others, I start in 2nd a lot more now with the 3.46 and with BP on holding it in gear and/or not worrying about it. It's awesome that you have it in, I would just enjoy it for now and if it really irks you down the line maybe look into a permanent solution.

az3579
02-24-2016, 04:32 AM
True. We will see how it is tomorrow but learn from my experience and take care of them gears! =\

Yep, that's why I baby my shifts going into gear, never slamming it and always rev matching. So far, still perfect and no gear/synchro noise. :)

Everything's repairable. The car is drivable, so that gives you time to enjoy it now and fix it down the road. :thumbsup

ryankokesh
02-24-2016, 05:07 AM
What BP said.

Enjoy it for now, fix it later if you need to. :thumbsup

slater
02-24-2016, 06:22 AM
I do not think the shift linkage was refreshed. But if it was needed, my indy would have told me. Would that be a solution tho?

potentially, but it is a good thing to do, regardless. the parts are not expensive - the main bits you want are:

- shifter cup/socket
- selector rod joint and new dowel pin
- selector rod plastic washers
- rear selector rod bushing

you can probably omit the front selector fork bushings - replacing them will make an improvement but i don't think they would cause this issue. all of the above bits are probably $50.

if that does not fix it, it's a problem inside the trans. it would be good to check it out myself, perhaps if i am in the city soon we can get together.

perhaps 3 seconds, but multiply that by how many times you're in first gear. i'm in first a lot. just yesterday i saw 6500rpm in first, both rear tires spinning and the arse end out. :) i like first. :)

holding the lever will work, but ultimately if it's a trans issue then the trans will need to be replaced.

Everything's repairable.

exactly. i know daniel is concerned about repair cost, but when you undertake a project like this - issues are bound to happen. you gotta pay to play! :cheers

johnrando
02-24-2016, 07:15 AM
Hope it all works out.

kakashi169
02-24-2016, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. I feel like absolute crap about putting a bad tranny in there. At this point, I don't know what to do.

slater
02-24-2016, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. I feel like absolute crap about putting a bad tranny in there. At this point, I don't know what to do.

well, you had no idea. this stuff happens. it's just a car! it can be fixed. it's just money! you'll make more.

i would start with the linkage.

kakashi169
02-26-2016, 12:25 PM
Good news!

I replaced the transmission with another and everything is perfect now. Shifts amazing and is solid!

Thanks for all those who gave me input.
Cheers

Aeternalis
02-26-2016, 01:08 PM
Good news!

I replaced the transmission with another and everything is perfect now. Shifts amazing and is solid!

Cheers
Super awesome. Glad to hear.

az3579
02-26-2016, 05:49 PM
Good news!

Cheers

What?? Thought you weren't able to do a different transmission - glad it worked out! :thumbsup

BMWCurves
02-26-2016, 07:50 PM
Good news!

Cheers

Congrats! How does it feel to have a manual? For some reason I always assumed your car did up until you mentioned a tranny swap.

How did you manage to source a new (used) transmission?

kakashi169
02-26-2016, 10:48 PM
Super awesome. Glad to hear.

thanks!

What?? Thought you weren't able to do a different transmission - glad it worked out! :thumbsup

When theres a will, theres a way. thanks!

Congrats! How does it feel to have a manual? For some reason I always assumed your car did up until you mentioned a tranny swap.

How did you manage to source a new (used) transmission?

It feels amazing. Way more connected with the car and with my mods, it really opens up the engine. OEM BMW Performance FTW. I found another one locally.

I am currently selling my old tranny with the 1st gear problem for cheap. $300 local.

az3579
02-27-2016, 05:47 AM
thanks!

When theres a will, theres a way. thanks!

It feels amazing. Way more connected with the car and with my mods, it really opens up the engine. OEM BMW Performance FTW. I found another one locally.

I am currently selling my old tranny with the 1st gear problem for cheap. $300 local.

My friend has been looking for an E46 M3 tranny for about 2 years for his E36 but couldn't find a reasonably priced one. Since the one you have is so cheap I'll ask him again if he's willing to do a 330 tranny, which in the past he said no to.

kakashi169
02-27-2016, 10:41 AM
My friend has been looking for an E46 M3 tranny for about 2 years for his E36 but couldn't find a reasonably priced one. Since the one you have is so cheap I'll ask him again if he's willing to do a 330 tranny, which in the past he said no to.

Nice, thanks for passing on the info BP! =D

az3579
02-27-2016, 03:19 PM
Nice, thanks for passing on the info BP! =D
I can't convince him. He thinks ditching the clutch and flywheel he bought for the M3 tranny is going to mean wasting money. He could just sell those items, but whatever.