PDA

View Full Version : Headers in California

goodoo
03-06-2016, 10:33 AM
I know this has probably been answered on here already but I can't find region specific answers.

After much thought, I believe that going headers over exhaust is my next step. Here are my questions.

Is anyone running aftermarket headers & cats in california? What setup do you recommend? Will it pass smog?

Thanks for any help!

CarbonZHP
03-06-2016, 12:44 PM
Technically you wont pass. While they no longer sniff, they will still visual inspect, and that is where some money may come into play. Also is the issue of removing the check engine light in correct manner. Doing it wrong will still lead you to fail

goodoo
03-06-2016, 12:55 PM
damn... i guess going for a full catback is where im headed... thanks for the input

CarbonZHP
03-06-2016, 12:56 PM
Catback is a good option. Headers is just a bit too much hassle in CA

Pip
03-06-2016, 07:50 PM
Catback is a good option. Headers is just a bit too much hassle in CA

Agreed. Cat back, intake and tune opened up my car enough to make me happy and not think about headers when I had it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derbo
03-06-2016, 09:13 PM
Legally you are not allow to move the position of the catalytic converters in CA. This means a header with a downstream cat is illegal even if it would pass the sniffer in normal conditions.

I've known some smog places have doing a readiness check by checking your readiness codes and if it is green they will clearing your readiness codes to check that it is not set to a static always ready (for those with readiness cheaters). IDK if that is something they train techs to do now or if that was just a sly smog tech doing it to find cheaters.

Pip
03-07-2016, 08:25 AM
Legally you are not allow to move the position of the catalytic converters in CA. This means a header with a downstream cat is illegal even if it would pass the sniffer in normal conditions.

I've known some smog places have doing a readiness check by checking your readiness codes and if it is green they will clearing your readiness codes to check that it is not set to a static always ready (for those with readiness cheaters). IDK if that is something they train techs to do now or if that was just a sly smog tech doing it to find cheaters.

Really hoping I can find a shop that ignores/doesn't check/doesn't know about the cats on e46m when my time comes next year. Think I know a shop recommended by my muffler guy. Not a shady shop as much as just a car guy that doesn't care so much as long as the car actually passes the sniffer.

derbo
03-07-2016, 08:28 AM
Really hoping I can find a shop that ignores/doesn't check/doesn't know about the cats on e46m when my time comes next year. Think I know a shop recommended by my muffler guy. Not a shady shop as much as just a car guy that doesn't care so much as long as the car actually passes the sniffer.

Since our cars don't require a sniffer anymore, the visual inspection has been put into a stronger emphasis. I hope your guy doesn't care. :)

CarbonZHP
03-07-2016, 08:29 AM
If I were to do headers, I'd probably do the LC2 option

stephenkirsh
03-07-2016, 11:47 AM
Since our cars don't require a sniffer anymore, the visual inspection has been put into a stronger emphasis. I hope your guy doesn't care. :)

What caused the change?

CarbonZHP
03-07-2016, 11:53 AM
Laws changed

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

stephenkirsh
03-07-2016, 01:54 PM
That can't be. California never makes anything easier...

derbo
03-07-2016, 01:55 PM
What caused the change?

Smog Check Program's Updated Test Technology

Californians getting Smog Checks today may notice that the traditional tailpipe test used for many years has been replaced by a quicker, computer-based test for gasoline-powered cars model-year 2000 and newer, and for most diesel vehicles that are model-year 1998 and newer.

This updated test uses the diagnostic capabilities of the vehicle's computer system instead of the traditional tailpipe probe to measure the vehicle's emissions. This On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system gathers information and determines if the vehicle's emission control systems are operating properly. A visual inspection of emission control components is still required as well.

The OBD only method of testing vehicles is the result of 2010 legislation (AB 2289-Eng) which is designed to improve the Smog Check Program and further reduce air pollution. The Smog Check program removes hundreds of tons of smog-forming pollutants from California's air every day.

Gasoline-powered vehicles model-year 1999 and older will continue to receive Smog Checks using a tailpipe probe as well as the OBD test.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/New_Smog_Check_Test.html

In reality, OBDII+ cars have sensors that will report if items are operating correctly. There is no need to waste time on the sniffer if the onboard sensors will report things are properly set. OBDI and below require sniffers still. Also noted is that Hybrids and Diesels require the same OBDII test.

stephenkirsh
03-07-2016, 03:51 PM
Is that why my 95 Miata costs like 2x the price to smog?

GotZHP
03-10-2016, 08:19 PM
Just pass your smog then install headers. In two years swap them back to stock to pass smog again.

My smog just got done so I am going to get some headers. Will happen with maybe a year left on my current smog. To me its not a huge hassle to swap, however, I am used to subarus. One header and its on the bottom of the engine so its easy to swap.

johnrando
03-10-2016, 08:21 PM
I heard they are a pain to swap on our cars, but I don't know.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Pip
03-10-2016, 10:13 PM
I heard they are a pain to swap on our cars, but I don't know.

It sucks. You're right.

TigerTater
03-11-2016, 07:48 AM
If no sniffer and only OBDii testing then do LC-2 ....it gives you all 8 complete readiness monitors set to green...and as far as visual the engine bay in zhp is so cramped its honestly hard to see the headers ...

That's what I've done now that Louisiana does OBDii testing instead of the old standard checks. Passed last two years no issues

CarbonZHP
03-11-2016, 08:48 AM
LC2 is the way to go. Fully programmable so the car is set to ready and thinks it has cats. When I got smogged last year, they did sniffer. Also a pretty thorough visual inspection of my headers

johnrando
03-11-2016, 10:07 AM
What is lc2?

FungShui
03-11-2016, 11:55 AM
Tigertater has a thread about LC2:
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?13700-How-to-Run-Headers-without-CEL-DYI-LC2-Wideband-Controller-install-doityourself

johnrando
03-11-2016, 01:31 PM
Thanks

derbo
03-11-2016, 11:57 PM
If no sniffer and only OBDii testing then do LC-2 ....it gives you all 8 complete readiness monitors set to green...and as far as visual the engine bay in zhp is so cramped its honestly hard to see the headers ...

That's what I've done now that Louisiana does OBDii testing instead of the old standard checks. Passed last two years no issues

the only concern is if a tech sees green then resets it to check if you are faking them.

CarbonZHP
03-12-2016, 12:25 AM
A wideband that taps into the 02 sensors and can program to replicate cats

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TigerTater
03-13-2016, 11:49 AM
the only concern is if a tech sees green then resets it to check if you are faking them.

That would be pretty shiesty IMO. Lol. Why would they reset them though? Even a stock car has to go through several drive cycles to become readiness compliant...it can't be done while sitting there at the shop.

derbo
03-13-2016, 03:55 PM
That would be pretty shiesty IMO. Lol. Why would they reset them though? Even a stock car has to go through several drive cycles to become readiness compliant...it can't be done while sitting there at the shop.

The point would be to check the readiness first and see all green. Then reset the readiness lights and check again. If there are any greens that means it's a false green that was faked. It's definitely a crazy task to do but idk how many are willing to go through that. I've only heard of this from a friend who owns a smog shop.

-Sent from Mobile

CarbonZHP
03-13-2016, 04:56 PM
I've generally heard of good success with LC2. And honestly, if someone is crazy enough to do that reset procedure, just go to another place and chances are you'll pass. I did that with my catch can

TigerTater
03-14-2016, 04:45 AM
The point would be to check the readiness first and see all green. Then reset the readiness lights and check again. If there are any greens that means it's a false green that was faked. It's definitely a crazy task to do but idk how many are willing to go through that. I've only heard of this from a friend who owns a smog shop.

-Sent from Mobile

Ah gotcha.

I've generally heard of good success with LC2. And honestly, if someone is crazy enough to do that reset procedure, just go to another place and chances are you'll pass. I did that with my catch can

Yea I agree. Headers are definitely worth while and the most bang for the buck power adder available for ours cars sans supercharger...just gotta be willing to do the extra leg work to make it all street compliant

CarbonZHP
03-14-2016, 07:07 AM
Im mainly not interested in doing the 8+ hour job, when odds are the fitment wont line up

NickZHP
03-17-2016, 06:34 PM
Im mainly not interested in doing the 8+ hour job, when odds are the fitment wont line up

You can always spend a little extra and go with bimmerbrakes or a used set from a good brand like Active Autowerke, that's what I did and they fit perfect.