PDA

View Full Version : 2003 330Xi Fluid Capacity and Maintenance Questions

BMWCurves
03-14-2016, 09:44 AM
As some of you may have seen, my sister recently acquired a 2003 BMW 330Xi with a manual transmission. I'm now trying to put together a list of parts for her to buy and then take to the mechanic to bring it up to snuff. Turner Motorsport has maintenance kits and overhaul kits but I want to see if anyone knows about 330Xis specifically and what fluids should be used since I'm not as familiar with BMW's AWD system.

Fluids

Motor oil - I assume BMW 5W-30 is perfectly fine. The other question is capacity. I've seen around the internet that capacity is 8 quarts compared to non-Xis 6.5. Is that correct?
Transmission - I used Redline MTL. 2 quarts, correct?
Transfer Case - I read that you need 1 quart of Redline D4 ATF?
Front and Rear Differentials - Redline 75W90, 2 quarts total.

Any other huge differences in maintenance between RWD and AWD 330is? I want to help her out and get this thing in good shape.

ryankokesh
03-14-2016, 09:59 AM
I think the oil depends on the pan her particular Xi has. I don't remember if it was year based or what. I think my '03 Xi took 8, but I couldn't tell you for sure. I'd just buy 8 and stick the leftovers in the trunk to top up.

The other thing I remember being different is the need to keep an eye on the front half-shafts. The seals have a bad habit of blowing out and then you get grease everywhere and screw everything up...

BMWCurves
03-14-2016, 11:35 AM
I think the oil depends on the pan her particular Xi has. I don't remember if it was year based or what. I think my '03 Xi took 8, but I couldn't tell you for sure. I'd just buy 8 and stick the leftovers in the trunk to top up.

The other thing I remember being different is the need to keep an eye on the front half-shafts. The seals have a bad habit of blowing out and then you get grease everywhere and screw everything up...

Okay, thanks for the info! Yeah, the half shafts were replaced really recently, thankfully.

BMWCurves
03-14-2016, 07:47 PM
Another question, her car is probably due for replaced shocks/struts. Has anyone used Konis for 330Xis? I'm sure they'd be fine, but trying to decide if they're worth it over standard BMW units for this car.

ryankokesh
03-15-2016, 03:59 AM
They are on sale... http://www.tirerack.com/specialoffers/details.jsp?promoID=I612

BMWCurves
03-15-2016, 08:16 AM
They are on sale... http://www.tirerack.com/specialoffers/details.jsp?promoID=I612

Yup, on sale and cheaper than replacing the worn units with BMW originals. Just a question if anyone's had issues with them.

ryankokesh
03-15-2016, 08:18 AM
I personally have not, but haven't used them on an Xi either. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWCurves
03-16-2016, 11:35 AM
Now a more general question. I think it's probably wise to replace the pulleys since the car has around 80k miles and I believe they're original. Does everyone use BMW-branded pulleys or are there other brands that are acceptable quality (Meyle)?

Also, how do you edit a thread's title? I can only seem to edit the title of the original post, but not the thread itself.

san
03-16-2016, 12:25 PM
Also, how do you edit a thread's title? I can only seem to edit the title of the original post, but not the thread itself.

Only the mods can change the title I think

ELCID86
03-16-2016, 04:50 PM
Only the mods can change the title I think

On some threads that's true. Not sure why though.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

danewilson77
03-16-2016, 07:13 PM
Now a more general question. I think it's probably wise to replace the pulleys since the car has around 80k miles and I believe they're original. Does everyone use BMW-branded pulleys or are there other brands that are acceptable quality (Meyle)?

PM me what you want it to read.

Sent from an S6 Edge

danewilson77
03-16-2016, 07:14 PM

I've had good luck with UrO pulleys.

Sent from an S6 Edge

BMWCurves
03-16-2016, 07:20 PM
PM me what you want it to read.

Will do.

Perfect, just the info I was looking for!

BMWCurves
03-16-2016, 11:16 PM
Another question for everyone: for those of you that have replaced your final stage resistor (FSR) / final stage unit / blower motor resistor (part no. 64116923204), what brand did you go with? BMW is about 2-3x more expensive than any other manufacturer.

ELCID86
03-17-2016, 03:07 AM
OEM. For the blower go with the x3 part. It's the same size and a lot cheaper.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

danewilson77
03-17-2016, 03:09 AM
I think I replaced mine with Febi. I've had pretty good luck with them.

Sent from an S6 Edge

ryankokesh
03-17-2016, 07:11 AM

Sent from an S6 Edge

I got a UrO pulley that was not round. Got it replaced and all was good, though.

BMWCurves
03-17-2016, 08:21 AM
OEM. For the blower go with the x3 part. It's the same size and a lot cheaper.

Yup, I have that written down somewhere either thanks to you or someone else's suggestion a while ago!

I think I replaced mine with Febi. I've had pretty good luck with them.

Roger.

I got a UrO pulley that was not round. Got it replaced and all was good, though.

Interesting. I ended up suggesting INA to my sister. I had to dig around back in my maintenance thread but that's what was supplied in the Turner Motorsport kit I used in my car and has worked great.

Thanks for all the help, gentleman!