PDA

View Full Version : WeissLicht Illustro FLEX LED Headlight/Fog Light Bulb: do they fit our cars?

Dual
03-23-2016, 10:56 AM
2006 Coupe here with Xenon.
I have been going through a great deal of trouble concerning a purchase of WeissLicht Illustro FLEX LED high-beam bulbs for my car. Moving the conversation here from the random thread. Leaving aside for now the question of how to get at the backs of the headlight assemblies so as to install the bulbs*, does anyone have experience fitting the bulbs once access is gained? Will the ballast and heatsink fit within the housing, for example? Anyone's assistance much appreciated.

*I think I'm going to pull the airbox and washer reservoir.

Dual
03-23-2016, 11:03 AM
Addendum:
The random thread is a bit deep now and I'd forgotten as3579's post in response to my question there:

There really isn't much to it. I installed these in my sedan housing - I can't imagine the coupe housing being much different. Take cap off, take out old bulb, and put new bulb in. Spread out the heatsink ribbon and stuff it inside the housing along with the small resistor box. It's a tight fit, but doable. It's a lot easier if you take your headlight out.So I guess the question is: should a Xenon-equipped coupe be any different in this regard?

az3579
03-23-2016, 11:31 AM
I can tell you that it was a tight fit even for the sedan housing. The coupe has a smaller high beam bowl than the sedan, so I'm thinking it may be a bit of a challenge. I was able to successfully squeeze the resistor box, wiring, and the flex blades within the housing. If I had a pic of the high beam bulb area then I could give you an estimate on whether it would fit...

Sent from my LG V10 on Tapatalk

Dual
03-23-2016, 01:04 PM
I can tell you that it was a tight fit even for the sedan housing. The coupe has a smaller high beam bowl than the sedan, so I'm thinking it may be a bit of a challenge. I was able to successfully squeeze the resistor box, wiring, and the flex blades within the housing. If I had a pic of the high beam bulb area then I could give you an estimate on whether it would fit... That's very helpful- thank you. If the high-beam bowl is smaller, though, doesn't that take up less space? I'm new to this stuff: my last car was a 1993.

az3579
03-23-2016, 03:37 PM
That's very helpful- thank you. If the high-beam bowl is smaller, though, doesn't that take up less space? I'm new to this stuff: my last car was a 1993.
Well the housing itself at least appears smaller as a result of the smaller bowls. If you look carefully you'll notice the coupes have a slimmer headlight profile.

Since I don't have a coupe, I couldn't tell you without pics of that area, with the cover removed.

Sent from my LG V10 on Tapatalk

Dual
03-23-2016, 04:03 PM
Thank you.

CarbonZHP
03-25-2016, 09:54 PM
In for info. Looked at LED main beams last year

Dual
03-26-2016, 09:17 AM
I was hoping to open things up today but something got in the way (undercoat that will not dry). I will post what I learn ASAP.

Dual
03-26-2016, 11:01 AM
OK: I don't think it's possible. The space might just accommodate everything if you crimped and jammed things but I don't think the flexy heat sink would be expanded properly and the ballast would be alarmingly close to everything: probably best mounted outside somewhere if possible. Hope this helps. Apologies: I didn't think to take pictures.

BeyondDrivenAuto
05-05-2016, 11:11 AM
Like they will 'fit' but they use a very small LED array(and only mounted on 2 sides at that) and the 'no fan metal tail' thing makes it a pain to install and simply put does not work as well as a fan with a control circuit.

az3579
05-05-2016, 11:40 AM
Like they will 'fit' but they use a very small LED array(and only mounted on 2 sides at that) and the 'no fan metal tail' thing makes it a pain to install and simply put does not work as well as a fan with a control circuit.

Mine works perfectly fine and am quite happy with it. I prefer the fanless design. I don't like moving parts - it's more stuff to fail.

BeyondDrivenAuto
05-05-2016, 12:27 PM
Mine works perfectly fine and am quite happy with it. I prefer the fanless design. I don't like moving parts - it's more stuff to fail.

Apologies maybe the way I relayed information wasn't fair/proper. They of course will work and shouldn't have any issues with them.