PDA

View Full Version : Newly acquainted

leadphut
03-29-2016, 08:29 PM
Hello board.

Currently have set my sights on a ZHP and am grateful to find this community. I've been in the BMW world for a couple of decades now, and have owned most models between '68 and '02. After the e46 era, my feeling is BMW has lost its way; but I digress.

Recently, I have been interested in the e46 M3's. However, I'm growing tired of shifting which leaves me with the worries of an SMG tranny, and I'd like to avoid that conundrum. I've already owned a beautiful delphin grey/black, 325Cic with hard top and loved that car, but it was a bit slow.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=252626&d=1197424665

Which brings me here. From what I read the ZHP has a lot going for it regarding performance and reliability. It seems as if these cars are either unnoticed, under-appreciated or a bit of both.

So I'll be lurking, asking questions, and making myself known. I figure I'm about a few months out before my purchase. My plan is to have a car to drive down to Monterey in August, to celebrate BMW's centennial anniversary. I'll be looking along the west coast between now and then, with the budget of $10 - $12k. I'd entertain a sedan, but would prefer a coupe. Don't mind travelling for the right car; as I've purchased my last 3 out of state. Always love a roadtrip!

:thumbup

I may know some of you already as I frequent many other enthusiast sights with the same username - mye28.com, bmw2002faq, e46fanatics, r3vlimited, bimmerforums, etc. Let me know.

Leadphut

FungShui
03-29-2016, 08:36 PM
Welcome!

ZacharyMikel
03-29-2016, 08:40 PM
Welcome! Good luck on your purchase! It sounds like you have lots of valuable experience to bring the community. Can't wait to see what you end up going with!

BMWCurves
03-29-2016, 10:22 PM
Welcome aboard!

Since you say you grow tired of shifting (i.e. automatic) finding a suitable ZHP should be a little easier. Good luck in your search!

leadphut
03-29-2016, 10:28 PM
Welcome aboard!

Since you say you grow tired of shifting (i.e. automatic) finding a suitable ZHP should be a little easier. Good luck in your search!

thanks. i'm getting old.

where are you in portland? do you know brent kemi by chance?

Lublisha
03-29-2016, 10:39 PM
Welcome! Always good to see a fellow Oregonian in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3ZHPGUY
03-30-2016, 04:46 AM
Welcome!

san
03-30-2016, 04:54 AM
Welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnrando
03-30-2016, 06:08 AM
Welcome. Performance-wise, they have excellent handling as you know, but straight-line is a different story. They have enough power to be fun, but are not "fast", especially compared to an M3 or recent cars. Also, from what I understand, the SMG is not as bad as people say, especially if you get that "shift tune" (I forget what they call it). A few on our site have it. Looking forward to seeing your purchase. GLWSearch.

danewilson77
03-30-2016, 06:23 AM
Welcome

Sent from an S6 Edge

leadphut
03-30-2016, 08:08 AM
That upgrade you mention is from the CSL M3. It's a rev-matching upgrade that is supposed to smooth out the tranny actions.

It's an interesting idea, but the extra maintenance required by the M3 has me hesitant. From what I read, the M3 also goes through rear tyres rather quickly. That and I'm slowing down these days, keeping my speeds in check. A few friends now call me pillowfoot.

Here's my current hobby car that might show my age. First auto I've owned in 25 years, and I'm really enjoying it. Great road trip car too. It's a euro, '83 735i, complete with the high compression m30 engine (m90) and reclining rear seats. 127k miles. Probably worth 3k, but I love it. Drove it home from Colorado with my father-in-law.

http://i67.tinypic.com/1zyedj.jpghttp://i66.tinypic.com/kehxfc.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion though.

san
03-30-2016, 08:11 AM
That upgrade you mention is from the CSL M3. It's a rev-matching upgrade that is supposed to smooth out the tranny actions.

It's an interesting idea, but the extra maintenance required by the M3 has me hesitant. From what I read, the M3 also goes through rear tyres rather quickly. That and I'm slowing down these days, keeping my speeds in check. A few friends now call me pillowfoot.

Here's my current hobby car that might show my age. First auto I've owned in 25 years, and I'm really enjoying it. Great road trip car. Drive it home from Colorado.

http://i67.tinypic.com/1zyedj.jpghttp://i66.tinypic.com/kehxfc.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion though.

The first picture looks really nice... Where was it taken?

cakM3
03-30-2016, 08:16 AM
I can say from experience that the E46 ///M is a wonderful car to own and drive :thumbsup Life is short and if you're thinking about getting an E46 ///M then I say do it :)

leadphut
03-30-2016, 09:26 AM
That pic was in Oregon, along hwy 101. Great road to travel, especially coming from Sacramento, via hwy 299w. Check it out. It's truly a road for enthusiasts who like to drive!

I can say from experience that the E46 ///M is a wonderful car to own and drive :thumbsup Life is short and if you're thinking about getting an E46 ///M then I say do it :)

You Sir, are evil. I'm really trying to be responsible here. But when that "life is too short" logic gets thrown in, I lose my bearings. I may have to talk with you. I'm really on the fence.

fredo
03-30-2016, 06:31 PM
Welcome ... You will love this forum.

Oli77
03-30-2016, 07:08 PM
Welcome and good luck finding the next one.