PDA

View Full Version : DrVanos quality concerns - rusting surfaces

stephenkirsh
04-11-2016, 07:40 PM
So the other day I noticed the solenoids on my DrVanos unit are quite rusted. I've only had it installed for about 15 months. Pretty disappointed.

You guys know I'm pretty active here, so it was my surprise when I posted a pic a week or two ago and people were like "yea, they often rust." What!? I guess I missed that somehow... Anyway, I contacted DrVanos about it, and here's what they said.

DrVanos:

Yes, they can rust a little since we have to clean them a bit aggressively sometimes. Most of the cores come in caked with grease and when we clean them it can take some of the paint off along with the grease. Obviously not hurting anything as it's just surface oxidation but easily fixed with a light coat of silver high-temp paint. We don't see this a lot but are actually preparing to paint these before shipping them out here in the very near future. My apologies for the eyesore, it does look like you have a very clean engine bay, which is somewhat uncommon on these older models.

I'm pretty disappointed, so I expressed my feelings to them on the 6th of April and have not heard back yet. If I would have known this was an issue, I would have attempted to paint them BEFORE installation, but now I can't. The top solenoid is a maybe... but the bottom one (the exhaust side one) is nearly impossible to get to. And I don't have the skill or tool set to pull this thing off to paint it, and even if I did, I don't think I'd want to deal w/ doing a whole VCG swap again just to do that.

I might just be picky, but I feel a bit cheated, and they don't seem to care to respond to me. If you're in the market, at least be prepared to paint them yourself or press the issue w/ DrVanos directly to make sure they're getting painted before you buy them. Just a PSA for all here.

stephenkirsh
04-11-2016, 07:41 PM
Pic of intake side solenoid.

GoGators
04-12-2016, 05:55 AM
I am running a DRVanos on mine too, had it about 18 months. Mine looks a LOT worse than yours! I don't see a good way to effectively clean/paint them installed... oh well.

Vas
04-12-2016, 06:06 AM
I should go check how my unit looks like. Based on my records, it was installed on 1/5/2013

Sockethead
04-12-2016, 08:33 AM
It was pretty easy to paint the top one but the bottom one is almost impossible to reach or get a spray can in there. If it's not rusted too bad, you can hit it up with some WD40 or equivalent to keep it from rusting further...

09mageec
04-12-2016, 08:40 AM
It was pretty easy to paint the top one but the bottom one is almost impossible to reach or get a spray can in there. If it's not rusted too bad, you can hit it up with some WD40 or equivalent to keep it from rusting further...
This may be a dumb question, but does WD-40 help slow the progression of rust? I'm thinking it repels water, I don't use it very often...

Vas
04-12-2016, 09:29 AM
I took a look at the unit that I have and its spotless.

Aeternalis
04-12-2016, 09:59 AM
This is discouraging. Hopefully the North Texas climate is kinder to the unit I just had installed. :(

Sockethead
04-12-2016, 11:05 AM
This may be a dumb question, but does WD-40 help slow the progression of rust? I'm thinking it repels water, I don't use it very often...

Yeas it does...

stephenkirsh
04-12-2016, 11:28 AM
This is discouraging. Hopefully the North Texas climate is kinder to the unit I just had installed. :(

I live in the SF Bay Area... Not really a harsh climate in any measure.

stephenkirsh
04-12-2016, 11:28 AM

Bottom one is just as bad as top one.

Johnmadd
04-12-2016, 12:34 PM

Yeas it does...

WD-40=water disapater formula 40. (spelling?) Very cool story if you look it up.

russiamutha
04-13-2016, 08:25 AM
I might just be picky, but I feel a bit cheated, and they don't seem to care to respond to me. If you're in the market, at least be prepared to paint them yourself or press the issue w/ DrVanos directly to make sure they're getting painted before you buy them. Just a PSA for all here.

You can easily remove solenoids and repaint them, it doesn't require much skill set. Alternatively you can buy new OEM solenoids from your local dealer, they're not very expensive.

stephenkirsh
04-13-2016, 09:23 AM
I shouldn't have to buy new anything when I'm getting a product that is supposedly rebuilt and "warranted for the life of the car."

russiamutha
04-16-2016, 07:40 AM
I shouldn't have to buy new anything when I'm getting a product that is supposedly rebuilt and "warranted for the life of the car."

Not defending Chris but it's difficult to warranty "fit and finish" without testing the product in various conditions. Chris doesn't have the R&D budget of BMW as far as I know. Honestly it took more time to create this thread than remove/respray/reinstall the solenoids.

stephenkirsh
04-16-2016, 12:49 PM
Not defending Chris but it's difficult to warranty "fit and finish" without testing the product in various conditions. Chris doesn't have the R&D budget of BMW as far as I know. Honestly it took more time to create this thread than remove/respray/reinstall the solenoids.

Seriously dude? That's very insulting. It took 30 seconds to make this thread. It took 30 seconds for your useless response. If you had even read it, you'd see I don't have the tools or skill to remove this thing.

Go waste somebody else's time. You've been a member here less than a month, so I guess you don't understand the point of this community.

danewilson77
04-16-2016, 03:08 PM
Let's all take a deep breath.

Sent from an S6 Edge

derbo
04-16-2016, 04:16 PM
I live in the SF Bay Area... Not really a harsh climate in any measure.

Our humidity is around varies depending on the day and most often than not, its above 70% due to our foggy conditions. My parent's place is close to the beach and I noticed cars that are parked outside get specs of rust (salt water from the ocean.)

But I definitely feel your pain. I've seen the rust on a fair amount of M54s that I've seen at the dealership in this area. I am with you saying I would be displeased.

russiamutha
04-16-2016, 11:43 PM
Seriously dude? That's very insulting. It took 30 seconds to make this thread. It took 30 seconds for your useless response. If you had even read it, you'd see I don't have the tools or skill to remove this thing.

Go waste somebody else's time. You've been a member here less than a month, so I guess you don't understand the point of this community.

I've been in BMW community longer than ZHPs had existed, in fact, pretty sure my ZHP ownership came way before yours. Also, DrVanos (Chris Gant) had fitted one of the first ever units on my E36 M3. I drove down to Round Rock in May 2007 and had Chris perform install on my car at his facility. I've seen his work and dedication to his product and it is top notch. By now I am sure Chris had sold thousands of units and only one or two (including this one) had complaints. Your unit is functional but physical esthetics did not stand up to environment.

As far as my membership on this board being less than a month old, feel free to search my username on BF.C / E46F / Bimmerfest / Bimmerpost.

Thanks.

russiamutha
04-16-2016, 11:50 PM
But I definitely feel your pain. I've seen the rust on a fair amount of M54s that I've seen at the dealership in this area. I am with you saying I would be displeased.

This.

Cars from up north experience oxidation in engine bay as well, this includes OEM components.

cakM3
04-17-2016, 03:18 AM
I have the same issue as pictured below on my ZHP

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1649/26478892195_70946ee72e_b.jpg

This can't be too hard to remove and reinstall so I will take a look at removing this sometime during the summer and refinish the solenoid cover. I might refinish the cover in Imola Red ;)

cakM3
04-17-2016, 03:23 AM
Let's all take a deep breath.

I've been in BMW community longer than ZHPs had existed, in fact, pretty sure my ZHP ownership came way before yours....

As far as my membership on this board being less than a month old, feel free to search my username on BF.C / E46F / Bimmerfest / Bimmerpost.

@russiamutha... comments like the ones you posted above do not need to be made. It only adds to arguments and we don't need that sort of stuff/behavior here.

Just agree to disagree and leave it at that. Did you not see what Dane posted above your comment?!

ELCID86
04-17-2016, 04:01 AM
@russiamutha... comments like the ones you posted above do not need to be made. It only adds to arguments and we don't need that sort of stuff/behavior here.

Just agree to disagree and leave it at that. Did you not see what Dane posted above your comment?!

+1 move along.

I'll restate my position in that Dr. V should provide some sort of protective coating. And now that the issue has been raised, perhaps they will. For anyone else who has one or is buying in the near future, I'd recommend following Sockethead/Rob's suggestion of applying a few coats of clear lacquer to the two solenoids.

GotZHP
04-18-2016, 07:07 PM
+1 move along.