PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Don't Drive in the Ghetto! (Ain't Nothin Good in the Hood)

C00KIE M0NSTER
05-17-2016, 09:08 PM
My ZHP was the victim of a hit and run today. The other driver crossed the double yellow and hit me head on. As I exited my car he took off. Fortunately for me, his license plate had fallen off his car from the accident. Unfortunately for me the license plate wasn't registered to the car they were driving. I'm sure the driver doesn't have insurance anyway. Oh the joys of living in a shitty neighborhood! This is my third hit and run experience!

Poor ZHP:

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq164/1MZ-FZE/Mobile%20Uploads/1F3BC150-1A15-4D0B-88F3-11A0F543A83F_zpsecdgg4hc.jpg
http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq164/1MZ-FZE/Mobile%20Uploads/6AE1FDE2-1B08-4028-80AE-65A513B897ED_zpsdbrghmd4.jpg

san
05-18-2016, 02:35 AM
Damn, so sorry about what happened... Hope your insurance takes care of it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

az3579
05-18-2016, 02:57 AM
I feel your pain about living in a low income neighborhood. This happened to me last fall:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160518/9094f394218e4dfe8469835d9d19bcd2.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160518/e5f3657580f9b7f69751f4006c220f99.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160518/0a5287afa91e2eb8cb811e6f99797033.jpg

They used a KEY to pry up my lip spoiler and stole it... dug into the metal and everything. Found the broken off key tip on my bootlid. Had to touch it up so it wouldn't rust...

Doesn't compare to the bullshit that you went through though. It shouldn't be too hard to find the person... usually people like that will take the plate off one of their other vehicles, or use one that belongs to an acquaintance. I'm sure the police have some avenues of investigation to follow...

Sent from my LG V10 on Tapatalk

09mageec
05-18-2016, 03:19 AM
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear this man. Damn leeches. BP, just looking at that picture is giving me anxiety, and my blood is boiling....:mad

az3579
05-18-2016, 04:07 AM
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear this man. Damn leeches. BP, just looking at that picture is giving me anxiety, and my blood is boiling....:mad

I'd be more pissed if the person hit-and-run like the OP's car... I probably would've chased after his ass on foot, unless the car was driveable... then I would have chased after him in my car. Nobody would think twice about an ass whopping 'round these parts.

Then I'd be submitted to the hospital with at least one GSW. :shifty

C00KIE M0NSTER
05-18-2016, 06:03 AM
I'd be more pissed if the person hit-and-run like the OP's car... I probably would've chased after his ass on foot, unless the car was driveable... then I would have chased after him in my car. Nobody would think twice about an ass whopping 'round these parts.

Funny thing is, that's exactly what I did. I ran two blocks and restoring my faith in humanity, there was a good Samaritan who witnessed everything and was looking for the car in his truck. That's when I went back to the scene and found the license plate.

My first hit and run experience, a previous car I had was parked on the street in front of my house. A giant SUV backs out of the driveway across the street and busts my front fender / corner light. I chased him down found him sitting in a convenience store parking lot and flagged down a cop car driving down the street. I told the officer everything that happened and he told me I need to call it in and left. Two hours later a cop finally shows up and takes down all my information. The owner of the car was listed as the house across the street. A couple days later the cops knock on his front door, he doesn't answer. Police investigation closed, I'm stuck with the bill. I paid out of pocket since the deductible would have been higher.

Karl Lazlo
05-18-2016, 06:40 AM

I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

az3579
05-18-2016, 10:54 AM
I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

Of course you would say that. :p

fredo
05-18-2016, 11:08 AM

I still can't understand Lazlo's comment. :dunno

az3579
05-18-2016, 11:25 AM
I still can't understand Lazlo's comment. :dunno

He quoted my gunshot wound comment... and basically his quote says "it is better to give than to receive".
In this case he's saying better me inflict the gunshot wound on the other guy than me receive one. lol

fredo
05-18-2016, 11:32 AM
Haha ... makes sense now.

Johnmadd
05-18-2016, 11:44 AM
Haha ... makes sense now.

+1 lol

C00KIE M0NSTER
05-18-2016, 12:12 PM
Well here is an update with no gun shot wounds involved so far...

I found the car!!

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq164/1MZ-FZE/Mobile%20Uploads/7A6F2987-FE3E-485B-A13A-AD40335D2806_zpstzrllak3.jpg

There were children visible in the house but of course no one would answer the door..
Say goodbye

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq164/1MZ-FZE/Mobile%20Uploads/7B537CCE-589F-462A-96DB-674244ED0A96_zpsotyjel8g.jpg

While I was searching the license plates last night I found they were registered to a blue 2005 Nissan Altima.. Now what do we have here...

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq164/1MZ-FZE/Mobile%20Uploads/3400A3BF-E034-4C5D-8390-8C37C77156E2_zps1fzpqsc7.jpg

No plates front or rear, what a coincidence!
Sayonara!

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq164/1MZ-FZE/Mobile%20Uploads/E39F0B35-40E2-4F51-919C-B6469F0748EE_zpsswwwkd0r.jpg

While I'm sure I'll still be stuck with the deductible, and the hassle of getting my car fixed, it feels somewhat good to have a small dose of justice.
:fistpump:

fredo
05-18-2016, 12:18 PM
Good detective work ! Now they have 2 cars impounded. Is that house close to your place ? How did you find it ?

PdZHP
05-18-2016, 12:20 PM
Great detective work!

Karl Lazlo
05-18-2016, 12:37 PM

But I said it all classy like.

az3579
05-18-2016, 02:56 PM
YES. I'm so happy to see a dumb POS getting what was coming to him/her.

Boca_RatonZHP
05-18-2016, 03:04 PM
I'm SO glad you got justice for this. I had a somewhat of a similar story this passed February.

D1ESEL
05-18-2016, 03:22 PM
DAMN guys!

I can't believe this stuff that goes on.

danewilson77
05-18-2016, 03:30 PM
Cookie, sorry this happened. Where do you live?

S7 Edge, out

Johnmadd
05-18-2016, 03:50 PM
YES. I'm so happy to see a dumb POS getting what was coming to him/her.

+1, I love a story with a happy ending.

3ZHPGUY
05-18-2016, 05:24 PM
This is one of the reasons that I didn't take my ZHP on my Texas road trip. Didn't have any issues with the F30 but, did venture through and parked close to and in some rough areas.

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

sillieidiot
05-18-2016, 10:03 PM
Glad you got some justice. Same thing happened to me at Walmart parking lot. Go in, come out. Busted hood/front bumper/headlights/grills. The one time that parking farther away bites you in the ass cause there were no witnesses lol I didn't even take a picture, just drove to my body shop the same day.

KevinC
05-19-2016, 05:54 AM
http://youtu.be/U1TSsS-mB6c

C00KIE M0NSTER
05-19-2016, 07:22 AM
The registered owner of the blue Nissan Altima has warrants out for her arrest for not showing up to traffic court from previous accidents that were her fault. I wouldn't be surprised if the driver has warrants also.

Good detective work ! Now they have 2 cars impounded. Is that house close to your place ? How did you find it ?
It's about ~3 miles from my house. I couldn't do all the detective work myself. It helps to have police friends (and dumb criminals!).

Cookie, sorry this happened. Where do you live?

S7 Edge, out
I live in Cincinnati in the neighborhood West Price Hill. The accident happened in East Price Hill. I found the car in Lower Price Hill. Trifecta!

danewilson77
05-19-2016, 07:27 AM
Did not know you lived so close. I am currently working 9.9 miles from East Price Hill.

S7 Edge, out

Campster23
05-19-2016, 07:44 AM
Glad you got some justice. Same thing happened to me at Walmart parking lot. Go in, come out. Busted hood/front bumper/headlights/grills. The one time that parking farther away bites you in the ass cause there were no witnesses lol I didn't even take a picture, just drove to my body shop the same day.

Was at Walmart last week, I'm walking thru parking lot and I'm watching this guy back up, saying to myself yup he's going to smash the car behind him. Sure thing, he slams it, doesn't even get out and drives off while me and two others guys watched. I took a pic of his license plate and I'm talking to one of the other guys that was watching too and the owner of the car walks up and we told him what happened and I just said what's your number I'll text you his plate. People really piss me off sometimes.

slater
05-19-2016, 08:00 AM
While I'm sure I'll still be stuck with the deductible, and the hassle of getting my car fixed, it feels somewhat good to have a small dose of justice.:fistpump:

very nice update - glad to see justice being done. :cheers

BMWCurves
05-21-2016, 04:51 PM
Damn. Sorry to see that happened but glad you got some form of justice in the end.

When I was in Philly I had to park on the street in some not so great neighborhoods. In the spring of 2014 I parked my car for about 20 minutes, ran upstairs to grab some stuff, came back out and my trunk was keyed to shit. I looked around and talked to some people but no one saw anything. I hadn't parked anyone in or done anything offensive as far as I could tell. Some people are just assholes :dunno

C00KIE M0NSTER
05-22-2016, 07:11 PM
+1, I love a story with a happy ending.

very nice update - glad to see justice being done. :cheers

Damn. Sorry to see that happened but glad you got some form of justice in the end.

When I was in Philly I had to park on the street in some not so great neighborhoods. In the spring of 2014 I parked my car for about 20 minutes, ran upstairs to grab some stuff, came back out and my trunk was keyed to shit. I looked around and talked to some people but no one saw anything. I hadn't parked anyone in or done anything offensive as far as I could tell. Some people are just assholes :dunno

Not quite a happy ending yet. I learned the owner of the car that hit me is in jail until 2019. So of course no insurance on that ride and can't prove who was driving it. The police are pretty clueless as they called me to get information and didn't even know I had found both cars and they had been towed.

My insurance got back to me saying they want to total the car (mainly because it has high miles). However, before the accident I had maintained everything and the car ran perfect with no issues. The frame is not damaged, the strut and tie rod is bent and the strut mount is sheered, but no other suspension issues I can find currently. I'd like to keep the car and fix it myself.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can convince the insurance to let me keep the car, and also value the car higher (ZHP, maintained, etc)?

Did not know you lived so close. I am currently working 9.9 miles from East Price Hill.

S7 Edge, out
That's pretty cool. Every other ZHP I've seen around here, the owner has been oblivious or looked at me like I was crazy when I gave them a wave/thumbs up. Haha.

Boca_RatonZHP
05-26-2016, 05:48 PM
Not quite a happy ending yet. I learned the owner of the car that hit me is in jail until 2019. So of course no insurance on that ride and can't prove who was driving it. The police are pretty clueless as they called me to get information and didn't even know I had found both cars and they had been towed.

My insurance got back to me saying they want to total the car (mainly because it has high miles). However, before the accident I had maintained everything and the car ran perfect with no issues. The frame is not damaged, the strut and tie rod is bent and the strut mount is sheered, but no other suspension issues I can find currently. I'd like to keep the car and fix it myself.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can convince the insurance to let me keep the car, and also value the car higher (ZHP, maintained, etc)?

That's pretty cool. Every other ZHP I've seen around here, the owner has been oblivious or looked at me like I was crazy when I gave them a wave/thumbs up. Haha.

Argue to the end. And offer to buy the car back. DO NOT TAKE ANY MONEY FROM THEM.

Buying the car back would mean you would have a salvage title, but given the minor damage you might want to weigh out your options.

ELCID86
05-27-2016, 02:23 PM
With that damage it shouldn't be totaled. I tried to argue with them about my son's car but they totaled it b/c of both headlights, radiator, etc.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160527/297c0b2fc91af361e9375edc75821127.jpg

Keep arguing with them. If you can't convince them it's not a total loss, then argue about the value of the car based on comps (see multiple threads here on the topic...) after you settle on an amount ask them about buying he car back. I bought Colin's car back and was able to avoid a salvage title as the rules in VA only require it if the car is 5 or less model years old or the total value is over $10k. Check your states rules.

Our total loss is now back on the road by a new member here who repaired it.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160527/7fa47227508cad2155ded58ea85ba06d.jpg

C00KIE M0NSTER
06-01-2016, 07:44 PM
Argue to the end. And offer to buy the car back. DO NOT TAKE ANY MONEY FROM THEM.

Buying the car back would mean you would have a salvage title, but given the minor damage you might want to weigh out your options.

Keep arguing with them. If you can't convince them it's not a total loss, then argue about the value of the car based on comps (see multiple threads here on the topic...) after you settle on an amount ask them about buying he car back. I bought Colin's car back and was able to avoid a salvage title as the rules in VA only require it if the car is 5 or less model years old or the total value is over $10k. Check your states rules.

Still battling it out with the insurance company. They compared my car to three other 330CIs all without the ZHP package. They valued the ZHP package as $392. :facepalm

ELCID86
06-02-2016, 03:36 PM
Still battling it out with the insurance company. They compared my car to three other 330CIs all without the ZHP package. They valued the ZHP package as $392. :facepalm

I think I got about $625 in value for the package. Keep fighting and sending them comps.

Dave1027
06-04-2016, 06:57 PM
I think I got about $625 in value for the package. Keep fighting and sending them comps.

The wheels alone are worth more than that.