PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a rebuilt ZHP with a salvaged title for a daily driver?

Garagebound
05-24-2016, 09:14 AM
I'm looking for opinions:

I understand there are a lot of dependencies, but from a high level, would you buy a fixed, working, clean ZHP to use as a daily driver?

Thanks

BADCLOWN
05-24-2016, 09:32 AM
Depends on the original damage. Some damage that was fixed I wouldn't touch.

slater
05-24-2016, 09:36 AM
Depends on the original damage. Some damage that was fixed I wouldn't touch.

+1; it really depends on what the damage was. pending that, price too. :)

BMWCurves
05-24-2016, 09:58 AM
Our cars can be totaled for very little damage nowadays, so a very fuzzy "maybe" is my response. Basically if it were just some bumpers and fender damage with zero frame damage, I might consider it. That, and the consideration of a low price.

Garagebound
05-24-2016, 10:29 AM
Agreed & Understood. Let's say there was no frame damage. Is expected pricing roughly 60% of an accident free car, similarly equipped?

Future ZHP Owner - searching for the right car.

BADCLOWN
05-24-2016, 11:10 AM
I'd personally stay away from frame damage and any hard panel damage (roof, quarters, pillars). In addition, flood damage I wouldn't mess with either.

san
05-24-2016, 11:12 AM
If there are no after affects from the crash then the pricing is ok i guess..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slater
05-24-2016, 11:21 AM
Agreed & Understood. Let's say there was no frame damage. Is expected pricing roughly 60% of an accident free car, similarly equipped?

Future ZHP Owner - searching for the right car.

i guess. it depends on the car!

fw_fw
05-24-2016, 11:52 AM
Unless I saw the car before, during, and after the damage repair, with it inspected professionally, I would never consider buying ANY branded title car.

terraphantm
05-24-2016, 12:02 PM
Depends on the damage and the price. Definitely wouldn't pay a ZHP premium though - so if you can find a non-ZHP non-salvage 330 for a similar price, that might be the way to go.

330i Lover
05-24-2016, 02:43 PM
Before considering buying a salvage/rebuilt title car first call your auto insurance company. We have Travelers and they simply will not cover it if it's not a clean title. I'm really glad I called before buying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

GotZHP
05-24-2016, 07:58 PM
Personally, I'd stay faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away.

I had a car that was flooded and not totaled by my insurance company. They tore the car apart and dried the whole thing out, but a year later everything started to fall apart and the electronics shizzed the bed.

Had a car that was t-boned, needed a whole new side. Drove great for awhile but the paint was never matched and the rear tire also wore funny. This car was professionally repaired and still had issues.

I would rather have a regular 330 over a rebuilt ZHP. Since it is your daily, you need something reliable and more predictable.

If it was going to be a track car that was going to be gutted, i'd still say stay away. Don't want something weird happened while blasting down a straight away or cornering hard.

Garagebound
05-24-2016, 08:22 PM
Well in addition to the majority no, it points to the fact that it will be hard to sell if and when I would.

Salut!

D1ESEL
05-24-2016, 08:56 PM
As a daily yes. I search for good ones every now and again for a winter beater so I can keep my Orient one clean

NoVAphotog
05-25-2016, 04:28 AM
I would never buy one. I see something interesting on Craigslist or in a listing. The second I see that marking I'm gone. Hit the x of the window.

It would be an absolute nightmare dealing with that here in VA. It's hard enough titling regular cars and dealing with emissions and safety tests all the time. Add even more onto it for that plus not knowing really what happened ever and you have a recipe for a lot of frustration regardless of what the price is.

It sucks and I'm happy for the folks that give them a second chance but I don't have the resources to do that plus I want to be able to sell my cars if I need to and as far as I'm concerned if I buy a salvage titled car that adds more headache down the line in that realm too.

Maybe. MAYBE. If it was a track car but still. Rather just keep searching for a cheap donor that is clean.

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

ryankokesh
05-25-2016, 09:00 AM
I would never buy one. I see something interesting on Craigslist or in a listing. The second I see that marking I'm gone. Hit the x of the window.

It would be an absolute nightmare dealing with that here in VA. It's hard enough titling regular cars and dealing with emissions and safety tests all the time. Add even more onto it for that plus not knowing really what happened ever and you have a recipe for a lot of frustration regardless of what the price is.

It sucks and I'm happy for the folks that give them a second chance but I don't have the resources to do that plus I want to be able to sell my cars if I need to and as far as I'm concerned if I buy a salvage titled car that adds more headache down the line in that realm too.

Maybe. MAYBE. If it was a track car but still. Rather just keep searching for a cheap donor that is clean.

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

Yeah, pretty much that.

Livermorenick
05-17-2019, 02:29 PM
I bought a totaled ZHP from a former member (brewer 90). There was not much damage for them to total the car but they did. Was still very driveable and I did drive it. New hood, grill, headlight mounts, radiator support and bumper cover. Went to a salvage yard and bought parts from a ZHP car, except for the bumper cover that had too much road rash already. So bought an after market MTech II. Got the color code and my buddy painted the parts. Putting it back together now. It was a cherry car before someone backed into the nose. So many extras, 109,xxx miles. New tires etc. Doing some extra work on moldings etc. The former owner is helping, he lives across the street. Sure he will drive it too. Going to add to the stable and drive it a lot this summer. 06,330ci manual. I spent about 1k not including fees and the salvage cost was 1200. So for about 3k and our time I will have a really nice car. Have to thank YouTube also. Has been a fun project. No plans to ever sell it. Just keep it in my family.

fredo
05-17-2019, 03:56 PM
Sounds like a keeper. I remember brewer90. He used to live in ATX but we never had chance to meet up.

Livermorenick
05-20-2019, 01:56 PM
Sounds like a keeper. I remember brewer90. He used to live in ATX but we never had chance to meet up.

Now he lives in California. He knows the history of the car and has wrenched on it enough to be a great help. I have some other E46 buddies that like to lend a hand. Classic or iconic, whatever. To me it is fun and better than dropping 50k plus on a new ride. Brings back that 16 year old in me that just wants to go somewhere for the pure enjoyment of driving or hang in the garage, listen to music and shine the paint.

PetesZ
05-20-2019, 03:09 PM
The Second Zhp is a salvage title car. Mainly an autocross first car but I do drive it to work and on trips.

Price according resell value is shit