PDA

View Full Version : High beams are odd.

kbcons
05-26-2016, 08:01 PM
'03 with HIDs.

Headlight low beams appear normal. Push the stalk forward and the outer (projector) beams go to high beam but the inner high beams do not light. If I pull the stalk back to flash the high beams or the lights, both the inner and out high beams light. Blue warning icon on the instrument panel lights as it should.

Normal around-town driving generally calls for low beams. But if I'm in a residential area I will occasionally use the high beams, and when I want them I want them all.

Is this a coding thing or a break someplace?

Thanks!

Ken...

BMWCurves
05-26-2016, 08:21 PM
I'm pretty sure that's normal although there are ways to code it.

In my car (coupe):
- Daytime running lights (DRLs), coded off in my car. From the factory the DRLs are the inner halogen bulbs
- Normal low-beam headlights: outer xenon bulbs.
- Push the signal stalk away (towards the engine): turns on high beams which are just removing the shutter from the outer xenons to allow a larger beam projection
- Pull the signal stalk towards me: flashes the inner halogen bulbs, xenons stay on low-beam setting.

kbcons
05-26-2016, 08:37 PM
I'm pretty sure that's normal although there are ways to code it.

In my car (coupe):
- Daytime running lights (DRLs), coded off in my car. From the factory the DRLs are the inner halogen bulbs
- Normal low-beam headlights: outer xenon bulbs.
- Push the signal stalk away (towards the engine): turns on high beams which are just removing the shutter from the outer xenons to allow a larger beam projection
- Pull the signal stalk towards me: flashes the inner halogen bulbs, xenons stay on low-beam setting.

My Google Fu isn't what it used to be. <sigh> Took me a few alternate searches with different criteria and I finally found an archived post in an obscure forum that reinforces what you have above.

The inners are normally DRLs, unless coded off like yours and mine. Their only other (factory) function is flash to pass. If the main headlights are halogens, then it seems they may fire as high beams. I think. Maybe. YMMV.

If I can learn the coding to fire them up as high beams, I'll be sure to post back here.

Thanks!

Ken...

terraphantm
05-27-2016, 12:19 AM
NCS Expert

Set PWM_WERT2_FL_BIXENON to wert_01