PDA

View Full Version : BMWCCA guys: worth it?

BADCLOWN
06-01-2016, 10:14 AM
Anyone that's a member, do you enjoy it/get use out of the membership perks?

BimmerDude
06-01-2016, 10:19 AM
I like for the most part i think it has to do with your chapter and the region you live in. The Houston Chapter is pretty active but they dont really do anything New.

fw_fw
06-01-2016, 10:21 AM
Roundel Magazine alone is worth it, then if your area has an active club it's a bonus!!!

09mageec
06-01-2016, 10:55 AM
Agreed!
I am a fairly new member. It really depends on what your chapter has to offer, and if they are an active chapter that you can stay involved in. Sure, all the discounts/roundel..etc. are good, however, I joined because I recently came to at a 'local' car show/meet. I realized that I was never interested in 95% of the B.S. at these shows, and I never had anything in common with people at tuner/VW type shows, which are HUGE in New England. The BMW CCA is the go to for true BMW enthusiasts, there are so many people with lots of knowledge at these meets, nobody trying to out outdo one another.

I'd suggest it to any BMW driver who appreciates what they are sitting in, and wants to share that appreciation with other likeminded folk.. :roundel

MrAdventure
06-01-2016, 06:49 PM
Definitely Chapter dependent, but the magazine's decent. Note that, in many cases, dealerships have parts discounts for CCA members. Your local chapter will know which ones.

das boots
06-01-2016, 07:15 PM
I agree as a 19 year member. All chapters are very different from each other. If the chapter is very active, then you have fantastic programs and a lot of fun. San Diego Chapter is very active since we have the weather to be thankful. Can you say auto-x every other month? Just the Roundel itself just pays for itself and says a lot.

NickZHP
06-01-2016, 08:37 PM
The magazine is worth it but other than that I honestly don't use any other perks. I think I am a lot closer in age with tuner type groups so I tend to stay with those groups...

D1ESEL
06-01-2016, 08:38 PM
Yes it is especially if you would like to go to the track events that the CCA puts on.

KevinC
06-01-2016, 08:52 PM
Add me to the "absolutely" votes.

I first joined in 2005, before ordering my first BMW, a new E90. 2 years later, I traded it in towards a Z4M coupe, and got the current club rebate ($500 at the time.. or it might have been even higher). As noted, the club mag, Roundel, is worth the price of membership all by itself - it's fantastic. And you can get parts discounts at many dealerships (though you might still do better by shopping online).

jwalther
06-02-2016, 02:43 AM
I enjoy Roundel, plus my indy gives a 10% parts discount to club members.

3ZHPGUY
06-02-2016, 05:32 AM
Yes, I would say it’s worth it.

I’ve been a member for over 10 years and that included being a member of the board (web meister) for a few years. I’ve also had the chance to be active with three different chapters due to my relocation, four years ago. With that being said every chapter is significantly different but, still operates under the same guidelines.

My first chapter was Northern Ohio and that chapter’s main objective was HPDS and Club racing. I guess, that’s what happens when you have two great tracks (Mid-Ohio, Nelson Ledges) in close proximity to the chapter. That chapter would do two to three track events a year. Along with the track, there were other events throughout the year, that included driving events, or car related tours. Board meetings were held quarterly in a hotel meeting room with coffee and pastries.

One of the perks I got out of being an officer was going to great conventions/caucuses. I did one in Salt Lake, One in Dallas and in in Chicago. All of them were great informative and packed with activity and it never cost me a dime.

Now that I’m in Tennessee I been active with the Chattanooga Choo-Choo club and old Hickory clubs.

The Choo-Choo chapter was good but, my activity was limited because of distance and a time change. Their board meetings were a monthly dinner at some fancy place and open to all members.

I’ve been a little more active with Old Hickory with the monthly meetings similar to Choo-Choo but a little less fancy. I’ve participated in their Tennessee Tail of the Dragon drive, that was really cool and I got asked to organize a drive, which we did last month. I would definitely like to be more active but, with being over an hour away and working nights, it limits my participation.

I’d say that the only thing that has limited my activity is location but, that’s just the draw of the cards. The chapters are usually located in large populated areas and I’m not. But hey, it is all about driving the ultimate driving machine. Isn’t it now.

PS; The people you meet and the discounts and all of the other perks are also great.

brettbimmer
06-02-2016, 06:58 PM
I agree as a 19 year member. All chapters are very different from each other. If the chapter is very active, then you have fantastic programs and a lot of fun. San Diego Chapter is very active since we have the weather to be thankful. Can you say auto-x every other month? Just the Roundel itself just pays for itself and says a lot.
+1 for the 19 year member status. Depends on your location, but most all events I have ever attended were first class. Also Roundel is a great read, and the membership perks can be useful too. Besides, you can run with a grill badge if you like too!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

ZHP Dave
06-09-2016, 05:03 PM
This thread reminds me I need to renew my membership(it's up next month) So for me, the answer is obviously yes.