PDA

View Full Version : Conti DWS rear tires worn after 22k miles

TheFinanceGuy
06-08-2016, 10:23 AM
Howdy Mafia,

June is state inspection month for my ZHP, as such, I crawled all over the car to find anything obvious that cause me to fail. Only item I came up with is needing to replace my rear tires.

I have Conti Extreme Contact DWS on the rear, and they are worn down to the wear bars in the center. The outside edges still have lots of tread depth.

Two questions:
What would cause the inside of the tire to wear faster than the edges? Tire pressure has been maintained between 32 and 35 PSI for 22k miles.

Next - what is the favorite tire to replace with? I'd like to only replace the rear, as funds are tight, and the fronts look almost new.

Thanks Fellas!

fredo
06-08-2016, 10:35 AM
My car came with Conti DW and matched your description: fronts looked new, rears worn out on the center. But I can't tell how many miles they had been on the car.

I bought another rear set of Conti DW because I wanted to match with the front set. Plus, I only expect to drive the car 2,000 miles per year.

san
06-08-2016, 10:46 AM
If your tires are over inflated then that would cause the center wear more, but the tire pressures seem reasonable... Weird...
Stupid question but do you think the tire pressure gauge you used is accurate? Also I think many people report conti tires to wear more in the center...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredo
06-08-2016, 10:49 AM
Good point. I have 2 tire pressure gauges at home. They mark 3-4 PSI difference.

trancenation
06-08-2016, 10:50 AM
I had the same wearing issue on my previous set of tires. IICR /correct me if I'm wrong the ZHP had a suspension geometry that had a little bit of negative camber in the rear.

09mageec
06-08-2016, 10:52 AM
I have these tires, fairly new. I've got my eye on them now :shifty

Vas
06-08-2016, 11:08 AM
Had the same exact issue with the Conti Extreme DW on the wife's zhp. The rear tires only last roughly 17,200 miles.

Usually center wear like that is caused by the tire being over-inflated but I check the pressure on her car often and maintain it at 36 psi. The only thing that comes to mind is the width of the tire and the width of the zhp rim. The tire just bulges out since the rim is not wide enough for a 255 section tire. The tire does fit but it is not ideal.

If you are only replacing the rear, install another set of them again. Run them until the front is gone and then replace all 4 tires. There is a new version of the DWS that is available now called the DWS09.

san
06-08-2016, 11:11 AM
Had the same exact issue with the Conti Extreme DW on the wife's zhp. The rear tires only last roughly 17,200 miles.

Usually center wear like that is caused by the tire being over-inflated but I check the pressure on her car often and maintain it at 36 psi. The only thing that comes to mind is the width of the tire and the width of the zhp rim. The tire just bulges out since the rim is not wide enough for a 255 section tire. The tire does fit but it is not ideal.

If you are only replacing the rear, install another set of them again. Run them until the front is gone and then replace all 4 tires. There is a new version of the DWS that is available now called the DWS09.

I think you meant DWS 06

Vas
06-08-2016, 11:39 AM
lol Yes but then a 6 and 9 is very similar.

TheFinanceGuy
06-08-2016, 12:04 PM
Excellent point on the pressure gage. I use a mechanical and digital set PSI. So I think I'm good.

I've been reading these these tires just don't last on the zhp. Perhaps Vas is onto something about the fitment being incorrect. These tires seem wider than normal (and taller when new).

I will probably replace with the same tire as I don't like being mismatched.
If funds were not an issue, I'd replace all four with a summer only set.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

fredo
06-08-2016, 12:09 PM
Back in October 2015, DT said the Conti DW were not made any more. But they were able to find 2 for me.

Vas
06-08-2016, 01:28 PM
Maybe they will update them.

Dave1027
06-08-2016, 01:33 PM
I run my tires at 32 front and rear. I don't care what BMW says. My Conti DWs wear perfectly even.

fredo
06-08-2016, 01:36 PM
I run my tires at 32 front and rear. I don't care what BMW says. My Conti DWs wear perfectly even.

Is this your first set of Conti DW ? I wonder how many miles do you get on the rears.

TheFinanceGuy
06-08-2016, 01:53 PM
I'd like to know what Fredo asked as well.
This is my first set

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160608/fb59dbe2dc0b44c610bfa5e832e003cc.jpg

Vas
06-08-2016, 02:36 PM
Mileage on them?

Dave1027
06-08-2016, 02:53 PM
This is my first set. I have about 13k miles on them and they look like they will go 40k.

KevinC
06-08-2016, 05:26 PM
I'm running DW's and LOVE them. Lighter by 2 lbs than the PSS's they replaced, and I can feel it. Slightly softer sidewall, so more comfortable, with some sacrifice in 9/10ths handling, which is a total non-issue to me. Tremendous grip, great in the rain. Will buy again.

Worn in the middle is definitely indicative of over-inflation. Mine are wearing very evenly, will last around 25k or more.

Vas
06-08-2016, 06:23 PM
Hiw about you guys measure the tread depth with a gauge to see if it's even across.

san
06-08-2016, 06:36 PM
Could you guys recommend a good tire pressure gauge?

danewilson77
06-08-2016, 07:20 PM
I'm going on 40k with mine. Square setup that I religiously rotate.

S7 Edge, out

BMWCurves
06-08-2016, 07:42 PM
I'm running DW's and LOVE them. Lighter by 2 lbs than the PSS's they replaced, and I can feel it. Slightly softer sidewall, so more comfortable, with some sacrifice in 9/10ths handling, which is a total non-issue to me. Tremendous grip, great in the rain. Will buy again.

Worn in the middle is definitely indicative of over-inflation. Mine are wearing very evenly, will last around 25k or more.

I've never had PSSs, but I agree with you, the DW's are great for me.

I'm going on 40k with mine. Square setup that I religiously rotate.

S7 Edge, out

How often do you rotate (miles/time)?

TheFinanceGuy
06-09-2016, 03:11 AM
Hiw about you guys measure the tread depth with a gauge to see if it's even across.

If I could find my damn depth gauge I would!

But I can say that the DWS is completely worn off.

danewilson77
06-09-2016, 03:51 AM
I've never had PSSs, but I agree with you, the DW's are great for me.

How often do you rotate (miles/time)?
Every 15k miles (every other oil change)

S7 Edge, out

TheFinanceGuy
06-09-2016, 04:50 AM
Seeing how quickly the rears wore out makes me want a square set up. However, I LOVE the staggered look.

I was talking with tech last night to get his thoughts on how I should proceed (replace all 4, or rear 2). He pulled up Conti's warranty as he thought it was a 50k miles warranty.

On vehicles with staggered / split fitments (different size tires
on front and rear axle), tires cannot be rotated between the
front and rear axle. Without rotation of tires between the
front and rear axle, the expected mileage / kilometers before
wearout is significantly lower, especially on the rear axle.
Therefore, the Mileage Warranty for tires on the rear axle of
these vehicles will be 50% of the standard Mileage Warranty
for the product line.
https://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/CO0416.pdf

This stuck out and I don't recall reading this before. Conti only expects these tires to last for 25k miles on the rear with a staggered setup.

Shucks... Guess I'm out $400 for two new rear conti DWS tires. Then, in 25k miles, I'll replace all 4 with a summer only setup.

Vas
06-09-2016, 05:23 AM
Seeing how quickly the rears wore out makes me want a square set up. However, I LOVE the staggered look.

I was talking with tech last night to get his thoughts on how I should proceed (replace all 4, or rear 2). He pulled up Conti's warranty as he thought it was a 50k miles warranty.

https://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/CO0416.pdf

This stuck out and I don't recall reading this before. Conti only expects these tires to last for 25k miles on the rear with a staggered setup.

Shucks... Guess I'm out $400 for two new rear conti DWS tires. Then, in 25k miles, I'll replace all 4 with a summer only setup.

The summer set-up on my car which is the bridgestone S04 lasted roughly 21,300 miles ( rear tires )

Like I said before, a 255 section tire would be a better suit on a 9" wide rim.

TheFinanceGuy
06-09-2016, 05:40 AM
The summer set-up on my car which is the bridgestone S04 lasted roughly 21,300 miles ( rear tires )

Like I said before, a 255 section tire would be a better suit on a 9" wide rim.

Sorry for any confusion, I'm not hoping the summer only setup would last longer. They are just cheaper ($600 for 4 vs $900 for DWS). Additionally, I do run a winter setup, so having the DWS tires is not really needed. The DW would be good.

However, I am really happy with these tires overall. They handle well and are very comfortable for everyday driving. I do not want this post to seem as if I am unhappy with the tire. Bummed that the rears wore out so quickly, however, I feel that is the cars fault, not the tire.

Vas
06-09-2016, 05:53 AM
Sorry for any confusion, I'm not hoping the summer only setup would last longer. They are just cheaper ($600 for 4 vs $900 for DWS). Additionally, I do run a winter setup, so having the DWS tires is not really needed. The DW would be good.

However, I am really happy with these tires overall. They handle well and are very comfortable for everyday driving. I do not want this post to seem as if I am unhappy with the tire. Bummed that the rears wore out so quickly, however, I feel that is the cars fault, not the tire.

I was going to go with another set of DW but decided to try something new. Went with the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2 and really like them.

TheFinanceGuy
06-09-2016, 06:47 AM
I was going to go with another set of DW but decided to try something new. Went with the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2 and really like them.

Had those on my E36. Loved em. Would like to put those on now, but that's $550 vs $400.
Too bad I just spent $1k on a new camera for my wife. You know what they say. Happy wife happy life.

wstr75
06-09-2016, 10:57 AM
Dane, in looking at your signature, do you have 245-40-18 tires all around on the original rims, which means 2 tires on 8.5" width rims and 2 tires on 8.0" rims, yes? If so, share with us your experience after tire rotation when the 8.5" rims are on the front and the 8.0" rims are on the rear. Is there a difference in ride, handling, steering, etc.? Conversely, if you now have 4 rims with the same width, are they 8.5" width?

Dave1027
06-09-2016, 01:00 PM

I don't see why it matters if they are staggered.

If I were you and going by your picture I would not chuck those tire just yet. I'd lower the PSI and use them as is. That will make the sides wear more possibly even them out.

TheFinanceGuy
06-09-2016, 03:13 PM
I don't see why it matters if they are staggered.

If I were you and going by your picture I would not chuck those tire just yet. I'd lower the PSI and use them as is. That will make the sides wear more possibly even them out.

Not up to me. Won't pass safety inspection for state. :(

I have a last resort that I'm not going to publicly say. That should get me passed. Then, I'll continue to run these for a bit longer.

Vas
06-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Yeah the rear didn't pass inspection either

Rovert
06-13-2016, 10:40 PM
Put your winters on or someone else's wheels for the time it takes to inspect?

TheFinanceGuy
06-23-2016, 03:11 AM
So I went in for inspection: told the guy whom I've been going to for years that the tires just to last July and August. He gave me this.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160623/39cdd4bb8351ffdd4ec0e0e0a9f75d66.jpg