PDA

View Full Version : Bosch or ZKW?

kbcons
06-23-2016, 09:59 AM
Is there a way, with the headlight assemblies in the car, to tell whether I have Bosch AL or ZKW headlights?

Thanks!

Ken...

az3579
06-23-2016, 10:01 AM
The quick way to tell (assuming your headlights are not modified) is to look at the projector lens. Bosch/AL units have a line through the middle of the projector lens. ZKW units have a clear lens.

Also, look at the cutoff of your headlights. ZKWs will have a defined, sharper line at the cutoff, where ALs are blurrier and don't have as well of a defined line.

Looking for the line through the projector lens is the easiest way though. Note: I am not talking about the whole headlight assembly lens... only the small rounded one that covers the Xenon projector.

This is the line I'm referring to (ignore the green arrow, borrowed the pic):

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=226759&d=1271653546

san
06-23-2016, 10:02 AM
For AL (maybe for Zkw too) the alphabets AL are are sort of etched on the headlight lens on the side closer to the grill...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

az3579
06-23-2016, 10:03 AM
Also forgot to mention - if you have a 2-door variant, then you definitely do not have ZKW.

theothersawyer
06-23-2016, 10:28 AM
Can you see at night? If yes, you have AL! If not, you have ZKW! Hahaha

san
06-23-2016, 10:35 AM

:rofl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kbcons
06-23-2016, 05:47 PM
The quick way to tell (assuming your headlights are not modified) is to look at the projector lens. Bosch/AL units have a line through the middle of the projector lens. ZKW units have a clear lens.

Cool - thanks! It's Bosch/AL for me. May save the hassle of a projector retrofit. I need to check the reflectors, but hopefully they'll be good.

Ah! The master of DARK humor. :)

Ken...

johnrando
06-23-2016, 06:00 PM
Iseewhatyoudidthere

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

theothersawyer
06-23-2016, 07:53 PM
Har har har! That was punny!

cakM3
06-24-2016, 02:47 AM
You can retrofit the ZKW lens into the AL projector assembly. This is what I did so I could retain the ZKW lighting but have the superior AL projector bowls :thumbsup I liked it so much in my ZHP I retrofitted ZKW lenses into my M3's headlight assemblies. Light output of the ZKW lens thru the AL projector bowls are amazing.

az3579
06-24-2016, 04:17 AM
Cool - thanks! It's Bosch/AL for me. May save the hassle of a projector retrofit. I need to check the reflectors, but hopefully they'll be good.

The bowls will be fine, guaranteed. :)

You can retrofit the ZKW lens into the AL projector assembly. This is what I did so I could retain the ZKW lighting but have the superior AL projector bowls :thumbsup I liked it so much in my ZHP I retrofitted ZKW lenses into my M3's headlight assemblies. Light output of the ZKW lens thru the AL projector bowls are amazing.

But he doesn't have an M3, so I doubt he will be baking his headlight housing just to swap the projector lens. Not worth the effort on a coupe/convertible non-M3... but definitely worth it on a sedan since it's so easy to remove the lens. :thumbsup

I wonder if the AL projectors are exactly the same in coupes/verts and the sedans that have them... the headlights are different shapes and sizes, so that makes me wonder if the coupes/verts got their own version of the projector. If it's a different size projector, the ZKW lens could possibly not even fit.

theothersawyer
06-24-2016, 07:29 AM
I have some ZKW lenses just sitting in a box if anyone is interested!!

kbcons
06-24-2016, 02:06 PM
I have some ZKW lenses just sitting in a box if anyone is interested!!

I just might be interested, oh Master of Dark Humor!

Never having done it before, so I'm wondering what the process is like? Pretty much a simple swap-out?

We can go to PM or email if you'd like, so as to not sully a non-sales forum.

kbcons at gmail dot com

Ken...

theothersawyer
06-24-2016, 11:26 PM
I'm not sure what they go for and I'm unsure of the install procedures! I'm sure someone can chime in!

kbcons
06-25-2016, 08:14 AM
The Morimoto ZKW-R lenses are $45/pair direct.

http://www.morimotohid.com/all-products/zkw-r-clear-lenses.html?carDisplay=2003+BMW+3-Series+%28HID+Equipped%29&preselect=&preselect_restrict=1

And I found a how-to here. (https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum/general-discussion/lens-swaps-color-mods/34816-swap-zkw-r-lens-into-bosch-al-e46-bi-xenon-projector)

Ken...

WOLFN8TR
06-26-2016, 09:15 AM
The Morimoto ZKW-R lenses are $45/pair direct.

http://www.morimotohid.com/all-products/zkw-r-clear-lenses.html?carDisplay=2003+BMW+3-Series+%28HID+Equipped%29&preselect=&preselect_restrict=1

I have these in my M3. Nice clear lenses but they do not fit perfectly. These take some work to get them to fit properly.

sillieidiot
06-26-2016, 11:39 AM

It does not give it ZKW lighting at all. It does give you a sharper cutoff, and slightly better output compared to the fresnel lens. But the characteristics of the ZKW and it's superior cutoff is different.

I have these in my M3. Nice clear lenses but they do not fit perfectly. These take some work to get them to fit properly.

You just need to specify that it's for the e46 bixenon projectors. It will come with a notch that makes it a straight drop in now. Still have to adjust the cutoff a little bit, but that's it.

WOLFN8TR
06-26-2016, 05:21 PM
You just need to specify that it's for the e46 bixenon projectors. It will come with a notch that makes it a straight drop in now. Still have to adjust the cutoff a little bit, but that's it.

Yep those are the ones I ordered and still had fitament issues.

sillieidiot
06-27-2016, 12:28 PM
Yep those are the ones I ordered and still had fitament issues.

Hmm I wonder if I got different ones. I just did an install recently for a customer and I was surprised that it just dropped right in. Other than adjusting the cutoff, that was it.

WOLFN8TR
06-27-2016, 04:34 PM
Hmm I wonder if I got different ones. I just did an install recently for a customer and I was surprised that it just dropped right in. Other than adjusting the cutoff, that was it.

Maybe or I got a bad set.

kbcons
07-06-2016, 08:27 PM
I done did the deed.

Pulled the headlight assemblies, cleaned them up, swapped out the AL lenses for ZKW lenses (Thanks theothersawyer!), dropped in some Morimoto 5500K bulbs, and polished & UV coated the outer lenses.

WHO TURNED ON THE SUN?!

Wow! What a difference, and at my age having good headlights is important.

A few notes:

A previous owner of the car had been there before me. :eyetwitch I was wondering why the right side aim was kind of wonky and now I know. The little white nylon clip that holds the ball end of the leveling motor was borked. I could get it kinda-sorta aimed, but people to the right (and signs and coyotes and probably airplanes) aren't too happy with me. The headlight repair kit (63126904664), which has these clips, has been ordered. I'll limit night driving until I can do the repair. Recommend anyone diving into this chore to order the kit ahead of time. With the age of the cars, broken clips are going to be a thing.

Also replaced both headlight gaskets (63128380210). The old ones were still in decent shape; no cracks & pliable, but it's worth it long term.

The Morimoto bulbs seem to get good marks or bad marks with little in between, but I figured that for the price I'd take the plunge. It seems to have been a decent plunge, as the colors match and output is even. How long they last remains to be seen. I have since run across what looked like a decent buy on Osram CBIs, so I have those here now. I may put them in and hold the Morimotos in reserve. Opinions?

The rear bolts that hold the assemblies in the car were T25 Torx! That's great for me because I have a super magnetic Makita driver set that allowed me to safely get to the bolts without losing anything to the splash cover. Yea!

Thanks to all who have stepped up to help. You guys are the best.

Ken...

theothersawyer
07-06-2016, 09:26 PM
Glad you got them all installed Ken! Noe to install the parts you sent me...

kbcons
07-06-2016, 09:52 PM
Those springs will be a bit more involved than the lights. My wife was amazed when I was done. No blood was drawn!

Ken...

slater
07-07-2016, 05:37 AM
good work, ken! successes feel really good, especially when you're fixing something that someone else messed up. :)