PDA

View Full Version : Riot Racing BBTB

TheFinanceGuy
07-20-2016, 04:11 AM
Hi All,

I've been wanting a Dinan throttle body for a while now, but cannot justify the $850 price tag for the part. I've been exploring some other options, and the throttle body from Riot Racing seemed to be the best for the lowest cost.
Has one had experience with them?

http://www.westcoastriots.com/

johnrando
07-20-2016, 07:03 AM
Looks fairly new. Get one and let us know how you like it. :)

TheFinanceGuy
07-20-2016, 07:27 AM
I've got several questions into their info email address. I might scoop one up if the answers come back well.

I'm interested to know if the stett boots will fit over the body. I know they are tight over the dinan body.

johnrando
07-20-2016, 07:41 AM
I didn't have any trouble getting the Stett boot over my Dinan TB.

TheFinanceGuy
07-20-2016, 08:24 AM
I didn't have any trouble getting the Stett boot over my Dinan TB.

Good to know. I think Charlie said it was tight, but fit just fine.

Sockethead
07-20-2016, 09:17 AM
The Dinan and Riot TB are just stock TB that are bored out. No problem with boots.
Unfortunately, the small increase in bore size will make a negligible difference in performance, I have one myself.
When I asked several tuners about it they said that they don't even take into account that the car has a Dinan TB. It just doesn't make a big enough difference...

cakM3
07-20-2016, 09:37 AM
Patrick, I didn't have any problem fitting my Stett boot onto my DINAN throttle body when I installed mine.

TheFinanceGuy
07-20-2016, 09:39 AM
The Dinan and Riot TB are just stock TB that are bored out. No problem with boots.
Unfortunately, the small increase in bore size will make a negligible difference in performance, I have one myself.
When I asked several tuners about it they said that they don't even take into account that the car has a Dinan TB. It just doesn't make a big enough difference...

Did you notice a different at all. Perhaps not power gains, but overall engine? Perhaps the engine ran smoother though the entire RPM range?

I'm not out for huge power gains - but a smoother running engine.

Sockethead
07-20-2016, 10:05 AM
I got the Dinan CAI, throttle body and stage 3 tune all at the same time. As I tested it for the first time in my way home, my smile when to a frown as I'm thinking "this is it?"
They may have been a *slight* increase in midrange but I really had to think about it. I got more noticeable performance with under drive pulleys.

I'm not trying to be Debbie downer here... I just don't want anyone be as disappointed as I was.
If anybody has had a good experience with a larger TB, can you chime in? Maybe with a different tune...

TheFinanceGuy
07-20-2016, 10:48 AM
I got the Dinan CAI, throttle body and stage 3 tune all at the same time. As I tested it for the first time in my way home, my smile when to a frown as I'm thinking "this is it?"
They may have been a *slight* increase in midrange but I really had to think about it. I got more noticeable performance with under drive pulleys.

I'm not trying to be Debbie downer here... I just don't want anyone be as disappointed as I was.
If anybody has had a good experience with a larger TB, can you chime in? Maybe with a different tune...

I appreciate the open and frank opinion. I understand that things vary from car to car and whatnot. I think that without a good aggressive tune, the engine won't produce a noticeable increase in power. I just like the idea of knowing things are flowing better - perhaps I'll get a deeper exhaust note out of it. :)

I will most likely still get it, mostly because, why not? The price point is pretty good at $450. If I could find a dinan TB at $450 of less, I'd be all over it. However, they hardly come up for sale.

NoVAphotog
07-20-2016, 11:04 AM
I appreciate the open and frank opinion. I understand that things vary from car to car and whatnot. I think that without a good aggressive tune, the engine won't produce a noticeable increase in power. I just like the idea of knowing things are flowing better - perhaps I'll get a deeper exhaust note out of it. :)

I will most likely still get it, mostly because, why not? The price point is pretty good at $450. If I could find a dinan TB at $450 of less, I'd be all over it. However, they hardly come up for sale.

I think the only way you'll really get things to "open up" AND provide more power is with headers, Patrick. I know that is off the table for the majority of us here, including myself, but I think that $450 could be better spent. Like Rob said, underdrive pulleys, etc, etc. I know I'm not one to talk when it comes to blowing money on my car, but still...Stay in schoo...I mean...stay stock, stay worry free!

Sockethead
07-20-2016, 11:27 AM
Honestly, the only mods that I really noticed anything with are under drive pulleys, LSD with more gear reduction and headers.
Also VANOS and DISA but that's just returning the car to original power/spec

slater
07-20-2016, 11:46 AM
I think the only way you'll really get things to "open up" AND provide more power is with headers, Patrick. I know that is off the table for the majority of us here, including myself, but I think that $450 could be better spent. Like Rob said, underdrive pulleys, etc, etc. I know I'm not one to talk when it comes to blowing money on my car, but still...Stay in schoo...I mean...stay stock, stay worry free!

agreed on all this, especially the bold bit. you gotta pay to play... there is no free lunch... yadda yadda. ;)

Honestly, the only mods that I really noticed anything with are under drive pulleys, LSD with more gear reduction and headers.
Also VANOS and DISA but that's just returning the car to original power/spec

yes to all of that - the 3.46 rear end really made a nice difference.

TheFinanceGuy
07-20-2016, 12:42 PM
Oh gawd do I want an LSD. I had an M3 LSD in my e36.

However questioning this mod aside. No one has had direct dealings with this company before?

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

johnrando
07-20-2016, 12:48 PM
I did about 4 things on my car at once so no idea if the Dinan TB made any difference.

squashman702
07-21-2016, 05:04 AM
I doubt you're going to notice a difference with this mod. I'd do what others have said and go with underdrives first. Made a decent difference on my car.

TheFinanceGuy
07-21-2016, 08:19 AM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments on a BBTB not making much for a difference for the car.

I do believe it would make a difference, and once I get to doing this, we will find a way if it did make a difference or not. End of the day, I want to do it, because I can :)

I won't be getting around to this anytime soon. It appears I need to replace my macbook pro... which I wasn't counting on. I'm also in the middle of a kitchen remodel at home, then another kitchen remodel on one of my rental units. Oh and I still need to do my VANOS rebuild.