PDA

View Full Version : Rolling fenders/bolt-on? Sedan

Prestovie
07-29-2016, 06:33 PM
Does anyone have any experience with rolling fenders/applying bolt-on fender flares?
I'm running 225s on front and 255s in the rear, and have no room to put spacers in the back, the rub was awful when I tried fitting 15mms, let alone the 20mms! Managed to get 15mm spacers on the front but the back ones could still use some spacing.
Also I'm not only looking for the stance from the spacers, but also the aggressive look of wider fenders, especially in the rear.(One of the main things lacking from the M3 to ZHP transition IMO)
Do I have enough room to roll them on a sedan? And even though bolt-ons can look sloppy they definitely add more aggression and allow for more wiggle room.

bosszhp
07-30-2016, 07:54 PM
I would just roll your fenders and not bother with the bolt on fender flares, most of the ones I have seen look tacky IMO. I currently have 18x9.5 ET35 ARC-8s in the rear of my coupe that I've been driving around with for a few days and I haven't even rolled my fenders yet. They are rubbing a little bit, especially on dips but nothing too major. Not sure why you are rubbing that much with the stock 135s and 15mm spacers, that would put your offset at around ET35 with an 8.5' rim. What tires are you running? That can have a big impact on how much space you have in the back as some tire profiles are wider.

Prestovie
07-30-2016, 09:15 PM
I would just roll your fenders and not bother with the bolt on fender flares, most of the ones I have seen look tacky IMO. I currently have 18x9.5 ET35 ARC-8s in the rear of my coupe that I've been driving around with for a few days and I haven't even rolled my fenders yet. They are rubbing a little bit, especially on dips but nothing too major. Not sure why you are rubbing that much with the stock 135s and 15mm spacers, that would put your offset at around ET35 with an 8.5' rim. What tires are you running? That can have a big impact on how much space you have in the back as some tire profiles are wider.

I'm running Michelin Pilot Super Sports, and I don't know if this affects it but there are performance shocks and springs, not sure if the hubs had to be moved for that? I didn't think about the different profiles though, I'll have to look into that.
And I agree with the tackiness, it'd be more of a last ditch effort kind of thing

bosszhp
07-30-2016, 09:18 PM
I'm running Michelin Pilot Super Sports, and I don't know if this affects it but there are performance shocks and springs, not sure if the hubs had to be moved for that? I didn't think about the different profiles though, I'll have to look into that.
And I agree with the tackiness, it'd be more of a last ditch effort kind of thing

I'm running Michelin PSS as well and I'm pretty sure the coupe and sedans have the same amount of space in the wheel wells. Might be your suspension setup, are you lowered at all? I have Koni FSDs with Eibach Springs. This is my fitment in the back w/out the fenders rolled.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160731/78b9f3f1d9e47e4f3dcdce509463bf80.jpg

Prestovie
07-30-2016, 09:22 PM
I'm running Michelin PSS as well and I'm pretty sure the coupe and sedans have the same amount of space in the wheel wells. Might be your suspension setup, are you lowered at all? I have Koni FSDs with Eibach Springs.
Yeah I'm lowered a bit, tomorrow I'll go through the paperwork from when I bought it to check how far, but I know I have Koni, have to look into the specifics

sillieidiot
07-30-2016, 09:58 PM
Nah the coupes can fit wider wheels than the sedan can. Definitely not the same. Also you look like you are lower than he is. I would just roll the fender, and possibly a little pull. That should do the trick. I don't like doing bolt ons. But in order to get more room with bolt ons, you gotta be comfortable with cutting off some of the fender. Otherwise it's pointless to put it on. If you're going to cut them anyways, might as well try to roll first and if you mess up, then put the bolt-ons fenders on lol

Prestovie
07-31-2016, 09:18 AM
Nah the coupes can fit wider wheels than the sedan can. Definitely not the same. Also you look like you are lower than he is. I would just roll the fender, and possibly a little pull. That should do the trick. I don't like doing bolt ons. But in order to get more room with bolt ons, you gotta be comfortable with cutting off some of the fender. Otherwise it's pointless to put it on. If you're going to cut them anyways, might as well try to roll first and if you mess up, then put the bolt-ons fenders on lol

Ok yeah that makes sense, should I take it to a shop to have it done or rent a roller myself?

Sockethead
07-31-2016, 11:27 AM
I believe the Mafia has one floating around that members can borrow....

ELCID86
07-31-2016, 04:24 PM
I believe the Mafia has one floating around that members can borrow....

I sent it off to another member a month or so back. There is a thread here somewhere. (Sorry on my phone)

sillieidiot
08-02-2016, 12:19 PM
Ok yeah that makes sense, should I take it to a shop to have it done or rent a roller myself?

Iono, it depends on if you're comfortable with DIY'ing it. Whoever is rolling it for you, make sure that they are taking out the gunk in the rear fenders and resealing it too. Usually they charge more for that. It was a lot more when I asked around so to save money, I just DIY'ed. It's pretty easy. You just have to take your time. Don't rush at all, else it won't look good.

san
08-02-2016, 12:33 PM
I sent it off to another member a month or so back. There is a thread here somewhere. (Sorry on my phone)

Fender Rolling tool for borrow to ZHPMafia members doityourself

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ezhpmafia%2Ecom%2F forums%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D7599&share_tid=7599&share_fid=14392&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ELCID86
08-02-2016, 02:13 PM
Fender Rolling tool for borrow to ZHPMafia members doityourself

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ezhpmafia%2Ecom%2F forums%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D7599&share_tid=7599&share_fid=14392&share_type=t

Yeah, that's where it went! Thanks Sandeep.

san
08-02-2016, 02:19 PM
Yeah, that's where it went! Thanks Sandeep.

:thumbsup

rkneeshaw
08-04-2016, 05:37 PM
Either the coupe's have more room for spacers or there is a different offset between the style 135's and style 68 wheels. Me and a buddy both run Michelin PSS but he can fit 25mm spacers in the rear on the style 68's on his couple, and I had to roll fenders to fit 10mm on my style 135's on my sedan. Tire size could've been a factor too, I can't recall if that was identical or not... take this with a grain of salt.

I only applied a slight fender roll to clear the 10mm spacers with my Michelin PSS. When I ran Continental ExtremeContact DW's prior to doing the fender roll, I could run 10mm spacers and had no rub at all. The PSS are a wide tire with strong shoulder blocks.

The rear fenders will need some heat and some love to get them real flat. They are kind of a U shape, so you have to flatten that U. Use a heat gun to keep the paint soft. Otherwise, using the roller was easy.

az3579
08-05-2016, 03:33 AM
The E46 Style 68's are exactly the same offsets as the Style 135 wheels, front and back. In the rear, the widths are the same as well. It must be a coupe thing I guess... :dunno

slater
08-05-2016, 04:39 AM
The E46 Style 68's are exactly the same offsets as the Style 135 wheels, front and back. In the rear, the widths are the same as well. It must be a coupe thing I guess... :dunno

well, also they don't make a 255/40/17 PSS, so it must've been a 245/40/17 - which is narrower, shorter AND has a rounder profile than a 255/35/18 PSS (also, the coupe does have more rear fender room for some reason).

- peter, resident PSS statistician

ZHP Dave
08-07-2016, 05:45 PM
Yeah I'm lowered(Tucking close to half the rear tire) and run 18x8.5 +35 square. With 235 Michelin AS3s it needed a roll in the rear. No issues now.

Simmsled
08-08-2016, 09:10 AM
Can rolling the rear fenders be done without sacrificing corrosion resistance?
What would be involved if not?

slater
08-08-2016, 09:25 AM
Can rolling the rear fenders be done without sacrificing corrosion resistance?

i don't think so. if there is a good solution, i would be interested as well.

sillieidiot
08-08-2016, 12:46 PM
yeah, you just reseal it. that's what i did, but i realized that it's pointless because i'm going to replace the rear fenders anyways

wsmeyer
08-08-2016, 05:10 PM
I believe it depends on how much you roll them. I just did enough to clear 12mm spacers and I don't think I damaged the sealant

slater
08-08-2016, 05:53 PM
yeah, you just reseal it. that's what i did, but i realized that it's pointless because i'm going to replace the rear fenders anyways

how do you do that?

sillieidiot
08-09-2016, 11:07 AM
how do you do that?

Well I did a more aggressive roll than most so I pretty much cleared out all the gunk until it was bare metal. Then I painted that whole area and rolled/pulled it. Then after that I sealed it with flex seal to cover anything I could have missed after I rolled it. I can't remember if I painted again after rolling it and before the flex seal. Because I was hammering the shit out of the fender too. I think I probably did. You could use the OE sealant with the brush and stuff too. But eh I wasn't going to pay for that lol

ELCID86
08-11-2016, 04:44 PM
Well I did a more aggressive roll than most so I pretty much cleared out all the gunk until it was bare metal. Then I painted that whole area and rolled/pulled it. Then after that I sealed it with flex seal to cover anything I could have missed after I rolled it. I can't remember if I painted again after rolling it and before the flex seal. Because I was hammering the shit out of the fender too. I think I probably did. You could use the OE sealant with the brush and stuff too. But eh I wasn't going to pay for that lol

Good idea.

Prestovie
09-02-2016, 05:55 AM
Hey if anybody is in need of the fender roller I've got it currently, just shoot me a PM

danewilson77
04-19-2019, 03:31 PM
Hey if anybody is in need of the fender roller I've got it currently, just shoot me a PMBump! Prestovie has it!

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk

Prestovie
04-22-2019, 01:37 PM
Bump! Prestovie has it!

Alright, so crazy story here:
I feel like I've thought about this in the past, kind of weird that nobody has asked for the fender roller in the past three years. I never even ended up using it and it had been sitting in my garage since then up until last year when it got mistakingly chucked when my father was cleaning out his garage.
SO, the time has come, if anyone remembers what make and model the roller was/if it came with any other bits please let me know and I'll order a new one for the site right away.
Sorry guys :facepalm

danewilson77
04-22-2019, 01:50 PM
Alright, so crazy story here:
I feel like I've thought about this in the past, kind of weird that nobody has asked for the fender roller in the past three years. I never even ended up using it and it had been sitting in my garage since then up until last year when it got mistakingly chucked when my father was cleaning out his garage.
SO, the time has come, if anyone remembers what make and model the roller was/if it came with any other bits please let me know and I'll order a new one for the site right away.
Sorry guys :facepalmNo problem. It was the one off Tire Rack I believe. No extra parts that I'm aware of.

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk

ELCID86
04-22-2019, 05:27 PM
Amazon has a bunch of choices.

3LiterStraightSix
04-23-2019, 06:47 AM
So whoever has it last holds onto it until someone else needs it? It doesn't get sent back to the original purchaser?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

az3579
04-23-2019, 06:53 AM
So whoever has it last holds onto it until someone else needs it? It doesn't get sent back to the original purchaser?

Correct. To ship it back to the original purchaser every time is a waste of money, so the last person who had it just ships it directly to whoever needs it.

3LiterStraightSix
04-23-2019, 07:08 AM
Awesome. If nobody else is in line atm, I'll ship it to here once a replacement is gotten ha [emoji1787]

YoitsTmac
02-19-2022, 04:35 PM
bump. Are people still sharing fender rolling?

sillieidiot
02-20-2022, 03:43 PM
bump. Are people still sharing fender rolling?

I was wondering why I was in this thread. So old.

You need a fender roller? I have one if you need. I just gotta figure out whose house I put it at.

YoitsTmac
02-20-2022, 03:44 PM
Yeah if I can. I plan on coming down to LA in April or I can cover shipping or however you want to do it

sillieidiot
02-20-2022, 04:20 PM
Yeah if I can. I plan on coming down to LA in April or I can cover shipping or however you want to do it

ok I'll look for it to gather the parts. I guess you could pick it up when you come down. That shit is heavy. Iono how you guys shipping that thing around lol

YoitsTmac
02-20-2022, 04:27 PM
ok I'll look for it to gather the parts. I guess you could pick it up when you come down. That shit is heavy. Iono how you guys shipping that thing around lol

Cool. I’ll PM you when I solidify a date. Gotta pick a good weekend, trying to see everyone from when I was down there and even do some meets. And our cars will be twins a bit!

sillieidiot
02-20-2022, 05:10 PM
Cool. I’ll PM you when I solidify a date. Gotta pick a good weekend, trying to see everyone from when I was down there and even do some meets. And our cars will be twins a bit!

If my car is around lol It's missing a lot of stuff. not sure if I'll have that done by april lol