PDA

View Full Version : 4K Dip

charter21p5
08-16-2016, 03:05 PM
Sorry I know it is a very old topic.... I updated my DME to the latest software and now after time I have the 4K dip. The car's DISA valve is the original. If I replace the DISA with the newer updated version what software can I use to clear the knock codes I have read about?

ELCID86
08-16-2016, 03:39 PM
Try doing the DISA first and see if that helps. Some ppl report the dip coming back (clear adaptations?). I had a bad dip and studder that went away after leaving my DISA wires unhooked for a few days :dunno
Good luck.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

NorCalZman
08-16-2016, 10:13 PM
My dip/studder is intermittent and happens around 3k. My DISA is a year or two old.

I was thinking of disconnecting the battery for awhile and see if that helps. Might be something for you to try

charter21p5
09-08-2016, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the help. I have spent many hours researching this issue. There was a tremendous amount of information via this thread: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1340-DME-Update-for-the-BMW-E46-330-ZHP

I am wondering what was the final solution? From what I have read the on the Internet the BMW fix for SIB 121705 keeps the DISA valve permanently open so buying the updated DISA valve doesn't really make sense. It also seems logical if I were to unplug the DISA valve it would remain open which would pop a code however no check engine light, basically providing the same BMW NA solution via the electrical connector instead of a software or EEPROM programming. Then coupling this change with clearing of the adaptation codes should ultimately provide the same solution "resolving" the 4k dip. Do you forum members agree?

Also I am wondering was there another fix besides sending off to BMW NA in NJ?

I had the 2800 O2 sensor stutter issue and after I updated to the latest software for my car's DME it resolved that issue. Since the software update also cleared the adaptation codes my car was OEM strong through the power band. Unfortunately after sometime now I am also plagued by this 4k dip and it is very noticeable. So I am looking to resolve this soon.

Thoughts? Any additional recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

KevinC
09-08-2016, 08:33 PM
I have both the 3k stutter AND the 4k dip. I bought my car 4 years ago with 52k miles on it. After experiencing these symptoms and reading up on them, I immediately had the VANOS swapped out for a rebuilt Dr Vanos unit, and replaced the DISA valve with the "DISA Gold from GAS. Neither solved either problem. Later had a DME refresh by my indy mechanic, no change. Later did the Shark tune, better throttle response, but still have the stutter & dip. I've given up and just enjoy the car as is. Sure would like to get rid of them someday though.

NorCalZman
09-13-2016, 06:21 PM
I think mine might be related to my A/C. At least maybe the 3k part. Just by casual observations, It seems to happen with it on (maybe the AC clutch releasing?) but not off, or at least it is much more pronounced with the AC on. I typically only run AC on hot days.

GotZHP
09-13-2016, 06:58 PM
AC can rob the engine of a surprising amount of power.

Put some catless headers on it and that should help solve the problem :D

CarbonZHP
09-14-2016, 09:39 PM
I was having a sudden insane power fluctuation after 4k rpm. The power would roller coaster up and down. What fixed it completely as well as completely straightened out the power band was a INPA adaptation reset. I suggest trying it.

charter21p5
09-20-2016, 04:59 PM
I was having a sudden insane power fluctuation after 4k rpm. The power would roller coaster up and down. What fixed it completely as well as completely straightened out the power band was a INPA adaptation reset. I suggest trying it.

Good to know. I think I will unplug the DISA valve electric connector, reset the adaptation codes and run this for a bit. If this resolves it I will re-hook up the DISA and run it again for awhile to see if the 4k dip comes back... If so I will sent the DME off to NA in NJ.

Thanks for the help all.

NorCalZman
09-21-2016, 07:41 AM

Mine does something like this around 3k when the AC is on. maybe not insane but its there. Do we need INPA to reset our adaptations? I don't have that.

terraphantm
09-22-2016, 11:29 AM
I've noticed mine seems to have a pretty decent surge at about 3k RPM. Like VTEC kicking in if we had that. Adaptions don't change it for me.

Good to know. I think I will unplug the DISA valve electric connector, reset the adaptation codes and run this for a bit. If this resolves it I will re-hook up the DISA and run it again for awhile to see if the 4k dip comes back... If so I will sent the DME off to NA in NJ.

Thanks for the help all.
The Jersey flash is just a flash to ZB# 7561544. I compared it to the normal software. Only difference is that DISA is disabled.

san
09-22-2016, 11:40 AM
The Jersey flash is just a flash to ZB# 7561544. I compared it to the normal software. Only difference is that DISA is disabled.

So that would be same as disconnecting the DISA ourselves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vas
09-22-2016, 12:46 PM
I've noticed mine seems to have a pretty decent surge at about 3k RPM. Like VTEC kicking in if we had that. Adaptions don't change it for me.

I need to send you my DME to a firmware update.

slater
09-22-2016, 12:53 PM

i thought there were other changes... for the pre-cat O2's? or maybe that was a newer software version?

terraphantm
09-22-2016, 01:53 PM
i thought there were other changes... for the pre-cat O2's? or maybe that was a newer software version?

It's bit for bit identical except for the DISA settings

CarbonZHP
09-22-2016, 01:54 PM
Ms43 I assume?

terraphantm
09-22-2016, 01:57 PM
All ZHPs are MS45

CarbonZHP
09-22-2016, 01:59 PM
Ah right so a dme update, not the ms43 coding tools

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

edwin.colo
09-22-2016, 05:01 PM
Try doing the DISA first and see if that helps. Some ppl report the dip coming back (clear adaptations?). I had a bad dip and studder that went away after leaving my DISA wires unhooked for a few days :dunno
Good luck.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

Elcid, so you have the DISA connector unhooked permanently or you just did it for a couple of days and then attached them back??

ELCID86
09-24-2016, 04:43 AM
Elcid, so you have the DISA connector unhooked permanently or you just did it for a couple of days and then attached them back??

Just for a few days. I was very pleasantly surprised that it fixed it.

edwin.colo
09-24-2016, 05:12 AM
Just for a few days. I was very pleasantly surprised that it fixed it.

Awesome.... will definitely try that this week. [emoji1303][emoji1303]

NorCalZman
09-24-2016, 12:14 PM
yeah Ill pull the plug on my DISA too. worth a shot. does it cause a check engine light?

ELCID86
09-24-2016, 12:55 PM
I don't think it threw a code for the time I had it unplugged.

---

ELCID86
09-27-2016, 03:40 PM
Any luck guys?

Sent from my iPhone with TaT.

edwin.colo
09-27-2016, 03:42 PM
Still have it disconnected... have only driven it two days. Will plug back up tomorrow and will report back. [emoji1303]

NorCalZman
09-28-2016, 08:59 AM
I haven't unplugged mine yet. every time I go to the car to go somewhere I have been in a rush or in work clothes or something. lol.

charter21p5
10-06-2016, 03:29 PM
I have good news to report!

I met with a local dealership and we came to an agreement of 2 hours shop time to update the DME per SIB: 121705. I also made the agreement with them no troubleshooting would be performed nor clearing of adaptations. Basically I only wanted to pay for the software update. I got the car back today and cleared the dme adaptations. The car pulls strong throughout the powerband. If there is a dip remaining at 4k it isn't noticeable. I have seen threads where they have shown after the update the DINO does report a very small dip however it isn't noticeable to the driver.

The other really good news to report is they didn't have to send the DME to NA. They were able to perform the update localy by apparently a remote session with NA. So if you are thinking of getting this update you shouldn't have to wait but 1 day or less for your car.

In summary the car feels great and is performing as expected. I will update this thread after 30 and 60 days which should be more than enough time for learned adaptations.

bimmerteknik
10-06-2016, 04:09 PM
I remember this car, was in the parking lot this morning when I got to work. I was tempted to post it on the ZHP spotted thread. Glad we were able to get it taken care of for you!

Tech at Leith btw

edwin.colo
10-06-2016, 04:56 PM
Well, I unplugged mine for about three days. It honestly seems better than before, but only time will tell really. Will keep an eye on it.
Leith BMW in Raleigh? Kool, that's about 2-2.5 hours from were I'm at in eastern NC.

NorCalZman
10-06-2016, 08:10 PM
I just unplugged mine tonight after I got home from work. Will leave it alone for awhile.

Regarding that DME update. It was discovered that all it did was cause the DISA to be open all the same (same as unplugging it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ELCID86
10-07-2016, 12:54 PM
Small world guys! Hope you all get it sorted out.

NorCalZman
10-08-2016, 11:38 AM
Ive driven around doing errands last night and today. The stumble at 3K is pretty much gone and the engine is smoooooooth going past 3K (the way a BMW inline 6 SHOULD feel). If it keeps up I think I can conclude that it is the cars reaction (knock sensor reaction?) to my DISA flap flying open once it hits 3K. And if the DME fix that people get just keeps the DISA flap open I might just leave mine unplugged in the long term. I don't really notice a drop in torque, either. Ill probably plug it back in in a week or so and see if that changes anything but if not Ill unplug it again.

My DISA is new (replaced it a year ago or so), and I think thats when I started noticing the stumble. I probably shouldn't have spent the money on a new one. haha.

GotZHP
10-08-2016, 12:19 PM
Wait, So all I have to do is unplug the DISA... Sweet.

I replaced my DISA and just about every other component intake or vacuum related so was bummed the car was still struggling around 2,800 and 4k rpms.

NorCalZman
10-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Worth a shot for you. Takes seconds. Every car is different. Mine appears to not have a 3k stumble anymore

charter21p5
10-08-2016, 07:44 PM
After you disconnect the DISA electrical connector you might also want to consider clearing the adaptation codes and then driving it hard for a few days to reset the car while achieving a more aggressive style adaptation.

NorCalZman
10-09-2016, 07:10 AM
How do I CLEAR the adaption codes? I don't have INPA.

edwin.colo
10-09-2016, 07:39 AM
Interested too. I have PA Soft, Can it be done with that??

CarbonZHP
10-09-2016, 08:43 AM
Full adaptations must be in inpa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

edwin.colo
10-09-2016, 08:49 AM
Roger that. Thanks for the quick reply.

NorCalZman
10-09-2016, 09:39 AM
What about disconnecting the battery?

ZacharyMikel
10-09-2016, 11:02 AM
Chiming in late, but all of my weird power fluctuation issues never truly went away until I did the DISA, new MAF/intake boot, and the VANOS.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ELCID86
10-09-2016, 11:58 AM
I left mine unplugged for a week or so then plugged it back in and haven't had a stutter since. Try it!

UdubBadger
10-10-2016, 09:12 AM
Nice

GoingHAM mobile

bimmergofast
10-11-2016, 05:21 AM
One other data point- I've had the dip pretty badly for the last couple of months. I ordered the GAS DISA rebuild kit, and did the job yesterday. (157K miles, original) After pulling out the DISA I was impressed by how good it looked. Movement was solid, pretty clean, seemed to work perfectly well... I did the rebuild anyway and put it back since I had the parts and figured it would help later. Turns out it completely eliminated my dip, and some of the other power loss I'd noticed.

Moral of the story? These things are old. Do the rebuild, even if it looks brand new!

BMWCurves
10-11-2016, 06:48 AM
One other data point- I've had the dip pretty badly for the last couple of months. I ordered the GAS DISA rebuild kit, and did the job yesterday. (157K miles, original) After pulling out the DISA I was impressed by how good it looked. Movement was solid, pretty clean, seemed to work perfectly well... I did the rebuild anyway and put it back since I had the parts and figured it would help later. Turns out it completely eliminated my dip, and some of the other power loss I'd noticed.

Moral of the story? These things are old. Do the rebuild, even if it looks brand new!

Glad to hear that worked. I plan to do it on mine sometime in the future even though I have only 55k miles on the car.

san
10-11-2016, 07:09 AM
I don't get the 4K dip every time but I do notice is sometimes... will unplug the DISA and see what it does...

GotZHP
10-11-2016, 06:16 PM
So my DISA valve is chattering and sounds like it is failing, at only 10,000 miles! Going to take it off to inspect it and will drive around with it unplugged. Check my build thread to see a video of the noise if interested.

holyc0w
10-21-2016, 04:05 PM
My 2800 RPM stutter seems to have magically disappeared (for now). Holy crap! It pulls so much smoother and better. :roundel Car - please keep doing what you're doing.

ELCID86
10-22-2016, 04:23 PM
My 2800 RPM stutter seems to have magically disappeared (for now). Holy crap! It pulls so much smoother and better. :roundel Car - please keep doing what you're doing.

Good news! Mine has never returned.

ZHPizza
11-22-2016, 12:40 PM
How do I CLEAR the adaption codes? I don't have INPA.

This might help:

E46 Resetting Throttle Response

Over time your BMW e46 wil adapt to your driving style. Can you remember the days when your car would feel fast and spirited and jump when you touched the peddle? Have you lost that feeling? Well, it's not totally your fault. It's fun to go fast, but who doesn't like to get 27-28 Mpg? You can change back to a default setting if you wish.

Here's the steps for an e46. They are simple and easy to follow.

First, with the key removed, sit in the driver's seat and insert the key.
Turn the key to position "2". Position "2" is one position before the car engages and starts.
Wait 10 seconds and then turn the key back to position "0", which is the initial position.
Once again wait 10 seconds and then start the car up.
You should now have your throttle response reset and your driving pattern from this point on
will dictate how your throttle response adapts.

Over time your throttle response will once again become lacking and another reset will need
to be performed. It is recommended that this be performed every 3-6 months if you feel the
need to have your spirited car back.

charter21p5
11-23-2016, 08:42 AM
I am glad to read all the good news. This 4K dip issue can really ruin the driving experience.

So it has been well over 30 days and the 4K dip is completely eliminated. No new issues to report. The car pulls strong and really pulls the most starting at 4K rpm.

BMWCurves
11-24-2016, 05:29 AM
I am glad to read all the good news. This 4K dip issue can really ruin the driving experience.

So it has been well over 30 days and the 4K dip is completely eliminated. No new issues to report. The car pulls strong and really pulls the most starting at 4K rpm.

Glad to hear. What was your solution?

jason89i
12-06-2016, 09:45 AM
4k dip GONE!

Ive logged over 150k miles in my (2) zhp's. I have chased this 4k dip for the last 3 years. All maintenance is up to date (vanos seals, disa, factory software updates.) It is really the only annoying thing about the zhp's..... and it really gotten under my skin. After reading this thread, I was inspired to get the INPA and clear all the adaptation codes. Now, It is only day 1 of this, but I will say that it is GONE! Power delivery is very linear right through 4k.

Drive on.

NorCalZman
12-06-2016, 01:02 PM
Once I unplugged my DISA my dip went away. That was weeks ago. Still haven't tried plugging it back in. I don't really notice a difference. *shrug*. I don't have the ability to clear my adaptions.

ELCID86
12-10-2016, 06:58 PM
Once I unplugged my DISA my dip went away. That was weeks ago. Still haven't tried plugging it back in. I don't really notice a difference. *shrug*. I don't have the ability to clear my adaptions.

Plug it back and it may stay gone. I thought adaptations was just a sequence of key on and off.

charter21p5
12-21-2016, 05:12 PM
So it has been well over 60 days since I had the dealer apply their update fix for the 4k dip and I can report the 4k dip is definitely gone. I also cleared the adaptations after BMW performed the update to ensure the car re-learned my more aggressive driving style and programmed out any remnants previously learned from the 4k dip. The car pulls strong across the power band.

The zhp 2-3k dip is resolvable via the publicly available bmw code. The 4k dip fix is to either have BMW update the car via their proprietary update or unplug the DISA.

KevinC
12-21-2016, 09:48 PM
The zhp 2-3k dip is resolvable via the publicly available bmw code. The 4k dip fix is to either have BMW update the car via their proprietary update or unplug the DISA.

Doesn't that special DME code just deactivate the disa? Seems I read that years ago. 4.5 years into my ZHP ownership, with several attempts to correct it (new Disa Gold, rebuilt VANOS, DME update, Shark Tune), I still have both the 2-3k dip AND the 4k stumbling. Runs smooth as glass otherwise.

charter21p5
12-22-2016, 07:56 AM
Doesn't that special DME code just deactivate the DISA? Seems I read that years ago. 4.5 years into my ZHP ownership, with several attempts to correct it (new Disa Gold, rebuilt VANOS, DME update, Shark Tune), I still have both the 2-3k dip AND the 4k stumbling. Runs smooth as glass otherwise.

Updating your DME to the latest bmw software should fix your 2-3k dip. I had the same issue on mine and the latest software resolved the 2-3k dip issue. The 4k dip issue associated to my zhp was resolved via the proprietary bmw code update. This update required an internal BMW case opened requesting BMW North America flash the DME. Before I had my zhp udpated with the 4k dip software update I disconnected my DISA for several days, reset the adaptations and confirmed the 4k dip was gone. To permanently fix the 4k dip you could either disconnect the DISA and leave it disconnected or get the software update from bmw which keeps the DISA open. I had bmw apply the update which keeps the DISA permanently open. This is what ultimately resolved the 4k dip on my car.

I am reading some of the replies to this thread where they temporarily disconnected the DISA and it resolved the issue. Whether you permanently or temporarily disconnect the DISA electrical connector, I would also think you would want to clear the learned adaptations because your car has learned dynamically programmed knock adaptations, sourcing from the DISA valve, causing the 4k dip.

KevinC
12-22-2016, 10:09 AM
I've tried clearing adaptations too, a long time ago. But maybe I haven't done it since some of the changes? I'll give it another shot. It's easy and can't hurt. If anything positive changes, I'll report back.

jason89i
07-27-2017, 05:16 AM
4k dip GONE!

............ After reading this thread, I was inspired to get the INPA and clear all the adaptation codes. Now, It is only day 1 of this, but I will say that it is GONE! Power delivery is very linear right through 4k. .

Dip is back after 10k miles. Ug.

The 4k dip issue associated to my zhp was resolved via the proprietary bmw code update. This update required an internal BMW case opened requesting BMW North America flash the DME. Before I had my zhp udpated with the 4k dip software update I disconnected my DISA for several days, reset the adaptations and confirmed the 4k dip was gone. To permanently fix the 4k dip you could either disconnect the DISA and leave it disconnected or get the software update from bmw which keeps the DISA open. I had bmw apply the update which keeps the DISA permanently open. This is what ultimately resolved the 4k dip on my car.

I am reading some of the replies to this thread where they temporarily disconnected the DISA and it resolved the issue. Whether you permanently or temporarily disconnect the DISA electrical connector, I would also think you would want to clear the learned adaptations because your car has learned dynamically programmed knock adaptations, sourcing from the DISA valve, causing the 4k dip.

I think you are correct to get permanent resolution. Time to take it in.

BADCLOWN
08-01-2017, 12:56 PM
i got my DME updated by a BMW only repair/tech facility (not a dealer) in Louisville with my first ZHP. fixed the issue straight off. i need to get this done on my current ZHP as I've already done a DISA/vanos rebuild.

i think more often than not, its a DME update that fixes this. but thats just my perspective from reading on here.

NorCalZman
08-02-2017, 02:27 PM
Dip is back after 10k miles. Ug.

I think you are correct to get permanent resolution. Time to take it in.

My dip came back after a few months of driving after plugging the DISA back in. Honestly since the DME update only leaves the DISA open full time I am just going to unplug it next time I am under the hood and forget about it.

holyc0w
08-02-2017, 02:34 PM
Does leaving it unplugged benefit the lower or upper RPM range?

edwin.colo
08-02-2017, 02:57 PM
My dip came back after a few months of driving after plugging the DISA back in. Honestly since the DME update only leaves the DISA open full time I am just going to unplug it next time I am under the hood and forget about it.

I just did that yesterday. Disconnect and forget.

NorCalZman
08-02-2017, 02:59 PM
Does leaving it unplugged benefit the lower or upper RPM range?

Theoretically unplugging the DISA moves some torque away from the lower end but honestly I didn't notice a difference at all when I drove with it unplugged for an extended period of time. Just buttery smooth I6 power all the way up the range.

Made me wonder why BMW even bothered to have a DISA at all.

holyc0w
08-02-2017, 03:52 PM

Yeah, sometimes good ol' displacement does the trick.

edwin.colo
08-30-2017, 05:11 PM
Theoretically unplugging the DISA moves some torque away from the lower end but honestly I didn't notice a difference at all when I drove with it unplugged for an extended period of time. Just buttery smooth I6 power all the way up the range.

Been driving with the DISA unplugged for about a month now. Couldn’t agree more with what’s said above.
Have not noticed any decrease in low end torque but there is now a definite difference on the cars power along the entire range. It just goes up in RPM super smooth, no more dip. Leaving it unplugged for the forceable future.

KevinC
08-31-2017, 08:31 AM
I need to do this - 5 years with this stupid "4k dip" is more than long enough! Can someone post a pic of what needs to be unplugged and how to best get at it, if it's not easily accessed?

Also does this throw a CEL?

edwin.colo
08-31-2017, 11:55 AM
I need to do this - 5 years with this stupid "4k dip" is more than long enough! Can someone post a pic of what needs to be unplugged and how to best get at it, if it's not easily accessed?

Also does this throw a CEL?

No cel
Super easy to unplugged.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170831/bcb1ca66cae108ed6ecfdc50375e9142.png

zhpnsnv
09-01-2017, 10:20 AM
Interesting thread. Back when I first owned my car it had a pretty significant dip, so I had the dealership send the ECU out and do that fix. It helped a little, but it was still there.

I sold the car and the following was done: Dr. Vanos, GAS DISA, and a custom ECU tune (also perf muffler). The dip is completely gone in basically all circumstances. The only time I felt it a little was at 1/2 throttle, 4th gear pull one time. Not sure what the custom tune did or if it turned off the DISA altogether. All I know is it pulls beautifully, way better than when I sold it. It's weird -- I accelerate in first and second totally expecting it to be there because that's what I'm used to, so it's odd now that it's gone.

Newjack
09-01-2017, 01:26 PM
Interesting thread. Back when I first owned my car it had a pretty significant dip, so I had the dealership send the ECU out and do that fix. It helped a little, but it was still there.

I sold the car and the following was done: Dr. Vanos, GAS DISA, and a custom ECU tune (also perf muffler). The dip is completely gone in basically all circumstances. The only time I felt it a little was at 1/2 throttle, 4th gear pull one time. Not sure what the custom tune did or if it turned off the DISA altogether. All I know is it pulls beautifully, way better than when I sold it. It's weird -- I accelerate in first and second totally expecting it to be there because that's what I'm used to, so it's odd now that it's gone.

I never had the dip for the first 5 years of ownership. In the last year I've noticed it badly in 2nd gear and it hurts my soul lurching forward and then back into my seat with my foot to the floor whenever I push through 4k rpms. Never had the issue before and all of a sudden here it is.

I have rebuilt my DISA valve with the GAS kit years ago. I have a vacuum leak somewhere, need to find it and solve that (no light but rpms dip down when idle and bounce back up slightly). I also have a shark injector I need to install. The shark claims it fixes the 4k dip, but from the other posts in this thread it doesn't seem to work for everyone.

NorCalZman
09-01-2017, 03:09 PM
I never had the dip for the first 5 years of ownership. In the last year I've noticed it badly in 2nd gear and it hurts my soul lurching forward and then back into my seat with my foot to the floor whenever I push through 4k rpms. Never had the issue before and all of a sudden here it is.

I have rebuilt my DISA valve with the GAS kit years ago. I have a vacuum leak somewhere, need to find it and solve that (no light but rpms dip down when idle and bounce back up slightly). I also have a shark injector I need to install. The shark claims it fixes the 4k dip, but from the other posts in this thread it doesn't seem to work for everyone.

unplug your DISA. You will know right away if that fixes it for you. Trust me, I tried hard to notice any difference (except for the dip going away) and I cannot so I just left it unplugged.

Newjack
09-02-2017, 08:09 AM
unplug your DISA. You will know right away if that fixes it for you. Trust me, I tried hard to notice any difference (except for the dip going away) and I cannot so I just left it unplugged.

So funny thing

I took my car to my mechanic last year when my power steering fluid leaked out of a hose, and destroyed my power steering pump with it. Somehow during the job, they unplugged my DISA valve connector.

I was at Justin's doing a trans and diff fluid flush and installing a new windshield cowl. With the hood popped, Justin looks in and goes "dude did you unplug your DISA valve" No... I haven't had to open the hood for 6 months or so other than putting in a little oil here and there.

As soon as it was plugged in again I realized how much low end torque I was missing out on. I was having to rev the nuts off the motor to get anywhere before that, and this solved that issue. Mind you, I had my AFE cold air intake on, which robs low end torque for high end power. Once I put the stock airbox back in I realized how much low end torque the AFE intake actually took.

I can try unplugging the DISA valve again, but I really don't think it will fix anything. I still had the dip the entire time the valve was unplugged for those months before I realized.

NorCalZman
09-02-2017, 08:13 AM
Ah ok. Then yeah maybe your issue is being cause by something else.

My dip is completely gone and my power delivery is unchanged as far as I can tell. Just the non-dip, smooth inline 6 power delivery it should have.

I use the BMW Performance intake. Must be less aggressive than an aftermarket intake.

Hope you can figure it out man! Keep this thread updated. There might be other people who unplug the DISA and it doesn't help. Luckily it's a 5 minute test.

charter21p5
02-05-2019, 06:58 PM
You have to clear the adaptations after you unplug it.

Ronik
02-17-2019, 05:36 PM
I am having the same problem in my 330i, my coupe is fine. I am planning to unplug the DISA to see if this helps. Is clearing the adaptation is same as the resetting the Throttle response?
If it works I will go the stealership for the software update for a permanent fix.

BADCLOWN
03-04-2019, 06:28 AM
In my first ZHP, I had the DME reflashed by a shop in Louisville as I was told this would fix the issue. $120 later and my DME was updated to current software and the 4K issue was gone. I’ll be going to this shop in the spring with my current ZHP in hopes to remedy the same issue.

Thatguy_JZ
03-08-2019, 05:11 PM
I just bought my ZHP and have been busy doing a lot of work to it at 140k. I noticed the 4k dip initially. The car would fall on it's face.

I tore it down and did belts, pulleys, belt tensioners, OFHG, CCV, vanos line, upper and lower intake books, Cleaned and lubricated ICV with engine oil, and replaced DISA with new OEM all at the same time. Cleaned TB and new gasket there as well. Prolly missing a few other little things but that's the most of it.

I found tears in my lower intake boot and my ICV was stuck with crud. Also fairly certain of a vacuum leak which developed around my DISA valve from a bad gasket.

I did it in the evenings a little at a time so the car sat with the battery unhooked for a week.

Since doing all that, the incessant hissing of the vacuum leak is gone. Idle, especially when cold, is smooth. All the bearing rattle and clatter from the pulleys is gone. Most importantly, the 4K dip is all but gone. I say that because I thought I barely felt it the other day (one time out of many), but even then it was slight. Not like before where the car fell on it's ass then suddenly picked back up.

I was going to rebuild the DISA with a gas kit but when I was testing the vacuum pot, a few times instead of springing back open the flap seemed like it would get hung up and not spring back completely. That is why I opted to replace it with new instead.

Also, FWIW, this is my second e46. My old car was an 02 325Ci that I owned from 40k miles to 120k miles. In all that time, on the original DISA and religious maintenance, I never once ever had issues with a 4k dip, EVER. I drove the hell out of that car too. It also never had a Vanos rattle, and running BMW OEM Oil in 7500 change intervals never even burned any oil. I always heard talk the M54B30's had more issues... we'll see soon enough what I got myself into, lol.

johnrando
03-08-2019, 10:08 PM
Nice werk

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

charter21p5
04-09-2019, 03:34 PM
So everyone has pretty much figured out how to solve the 4k dip by either programming out the DISA with BMW’s code update or unplugging the disa and resetting the DME adaptations....

Has anyone figured out why this is happening? The theory is the disa makes noises that the engine knock sensors are picking up which then the dme throttles the torque at 3750 rpm which is when the disa is moving its flap... so if that is correct why doesn’t a new disa fix this issue?

The reason I bring this up is BMW’s “fix” appears to be disabling the disa...

So that means we lose torque below 3750 rpm. If we wanted the torque back what is the proper fix to keep the disa operational?

I am throwing this question out there to see if anyone knows or cares to figure it out.

My ZHP still does pull well below 3750 rpm after the bmw SIB code fix however it definitely had more torque below 3750 rpm when the DISA valve was operational before the code fix.