PDA

View Full Version : New member in St. Louis MO

dangdude
09-04-2016, 08:24 AM
Howdy,
I'm Dan H in St. Louis. I currently work at Boeing as a data analytics software engineer. In 2007, I bought a grey over black 2003 zhp off eBay in Oklahoma. I was a huge e30 guy until I had kids and needed 4 doors and carseat hooks. e46s are really great cars. I still work on a lot of e30s, and imho e46s are put together just as well. They do require more than average maintenance though.

I currently also have a 99 m roadster, 07 335i and 06 X3 (for my wife). I do my own maintenance, and I enjoy doing things both cheaply and correctly... I know that starts a lot of "discussions" on forums, so I promise I'll keep my opinions to myself. :-) Just so you know where I'm coming from though, I've rebuilt two Alfa Romeo transmissions using a BBQ grill to heat gears up past interference fit... works like a champ! I've also made my own tool to remove/press on e30 front control arm bushings (lollipops) while on the car, made from an e30 jack and (what else?) an old control arm to make the bushing fork. Crank off, crank on, simple. It works great and is a favorite tool to loan out to the local club. I recently made a smoker to find intake leaks, and I've used it to find leaks on 2 BMWs so far. So much fun!

Current vehicle projects, if you'd like to know...

I just rebuilt the VANOS on the 99 m roadster, which is at 150k and going strong but 5th gear detent is sticky. I also am working with the stereo in that car... it's not great so far.
The X3 is a trooper, my wife's daily driver. The latest mod/project on that was replacing all that oil capture device stuff on the M54 with a PCV valve... so far no codes, no white smoke and it's doing fine. Don't worry, the mod is easily reversible, and after doing the oil capture thingy replacement on another M54, I was ready to try another way!
The 335i has about $30k worth of go-fast mods on it, including a $5k Stoptech big brake kit. I wouldn't have spent that kind of money--I bought it that way from the PO as my new track toy. The car won its class at OneLap in 2010 before I bought it. It's monaco blue over dakota (brown) interior.

FINALLY, the zhp is my daily driver, at 120k miles, and needs a VANOS rebuild and most likely soon a VCG. It also needs the 100k cooling system refresh, along with spark plugs, but it still drives and handles so well I've honestly let maintenance go too long. I've also been thinking of getting one of those android based head units to replace the factory navigation/stereo unit. I did put an M3 wheel on it because the alcantera fell apart. My seats are leather, so they're OK.

I'm happy to be here and start trading experience and information with you guys!

Dan

san
09-04-2016, 08:47 AM
Welcome!
Post pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vas
09-04-2016, 10:15 AM
Welcome

danewilson77
09-04-2016, 10:17 AM
Dan, Welcome

S7 Edge, out

GotZHP
09-04-2016, 12:45 PM
Damn, someone is handy! Welcome to the cult, I mean Club :thumbsup

Post up some pics. the 99 M roadster sounds like a fun car. Not to disregard the ZHP but, have you done the shifter bushing on it? trying to convince a co-worker to let me take his roadster for the weekend and I would do an oil change and shifter bushing in return. Would be a fun car to cruise up the 1 Near Santa Monica

ELCID86
09-04-2016, 03:43 PM
Thanks for joining. Hope to see you around.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

Oli77
09-05-2016, 05:39 AM
Welcome to the group.

Do post some pics.

3ZHPGUY
09-05-2016, 05:59 AM
Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

johnrando
09-05-2016, 10:42 AM
Welcome!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

fredo
09-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Welcome, Dan. You will love this forum.

dangdude
09-05-2016, 11:26 AM
Post up some pics. the 99 M roadster sounds like a fun car. Not to disregard the ZHP but, have you done the shifter bushing on it? I haven't done it yet... I need to change fluids in the z3m too--I've had it about a year and the customary "new-to-me-car fluid change" is way overdue. Compared to other roadsters, the z3m is not "elegant" but it certainly has the power typical roadsters lack. Imho there's nothing charming about an underpowered car, roadster or not.

I will find and post some pics. I was reading the "post pics of your daily driver" thread.. LOL, I take pics of my cars all the time too.
Dan

oldzilla
09-10-2016, 10:06 AM
Welcome