PDA

View Full Version : Xenon Headlight Question

mercury26
10-08-2016, 08:43 PM
I just swapped from a set of my original ZKW headlights to brand new set of AL (Magneti Marelli) headlights. During the install, I swapped the stock Philips bulbs to Osram bulbs with higher output. I tested the headlights out tonight, did not turn on the car only using Position 2 of the switch. I get low and high beams on the Xenon/HID part, but the Halogen part of the light does not emit any light. I checked the wiring going into that bulb and they are properly seated. Does the car need to be on? Next step is to see if I am getting power to that connector. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Chuck

mercury26
10-08-2016, 09:44 PM
Nevermind, I think that I found my answer. DRL and Passing Flash (Xenon off, High Beam stalk flash). Correct me if I am wrong.

Adi
10-09-2016, 01:45 AM
Nevermind, I think that I found my answer. DRL and Passing Flash (Xenon off, High Beam stalk flash). Correct me if I am wrong.

Yea so my understanding is that US cars are coded such that the inner halogen beams are only used for the "flash to pass" feature. When you put highbeams on, the bi-xenon flap actuates and only the xenon is used for high beam.

The euro spec like mine, is coded to use the halogen + bixenon for high beams.

I believe the parameter that controls this in NCSexpert is "BI-XENON_EIN_BEI_LICHTHUPE". It should be set to "aktiv" to have the halogens activate for highbeams in addition to the bi-xenons.

If I have got any of this wrong, please correct me.

az3579
10-09-2016, 05:34 AM
I believe the parameter that controls this in NCSexpert is "BI-XENON_EIN_BEI_LICHTHUPE". It should be set to "aktiv" to have the halogens activate for highbeams in addition to the bi-xenons.

If I have got any of this wrong, please correct me.

The parameter is actually PWM_WERT2_FL_BIXENON. It should be set to wert_01.

Adi
10-09-2016, 05:35 AM
The parameter is actually PWM_WERT2_FL_BIXENON. It should be set to wert_01.

What is the parameter that I mentioned?

az3579
10-09-2016, 05:40 AM
What is the parameter that I mentioned?

I didn't find it in my LSZ dump, so I looked it up. It appears to be a function that allows you to use both the Bi-Xenon and halogen lights for flash to pass only when the low beams are turned on. I'm not sure why it's not an option in my LSZ - maybe a feature only for the cars with a euro VIN?

Found it here:
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1378682-NCS-Success!-(remote-windows-up-no-DRL-fogs-high-s)&p=19533201#post19533201

Adi
10-09-2016, 05:41 AM
I didn't find it in my LSZ dump, so I looked it up. It appears to be a function that allows you to use both the Bi-Xenon and halogen lights for flash to pass only when the low beams are turned on. I'm not sure why it's not an option in my LSZ - maybe a feature only for the cars with a euro VIN?

Found it here:
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1378682-NCS-Success!-(remote-windows-up-no-DRL-fogs-high-s)&p=19533201#post19533201

Thanks you so much for that link. Just what ive been looking for.

terraphantm
10-09-2016, 06:20 AM

Found it here:

Should be an option in yours. I have it enabled on my cars. It's been on every 02+ LCM I've seen. Euro and US LCMs run the same software so all the options should be there

Edit: Just noticed that is my own post from when I figured it out. Can't believe it's been more than 6 years since I got into this stuff

az3579
10-09-2016, 06:48 AM
Should be an option in yours. I have it enabled on my cars. It's been on every 02+ LCM I've seen. Euro and US LCMs run the same software so all the options should be there

Strange. I saved dumps of all of my modules and searched in there - nowhere to be found. :scratchinghead

Edit: Just noticed that is my own post from when I figured it out. Can't believe it's been more than 6 years since I got into this stuff

Amazing how time flies, eh? It's been over 4 years since I started researching this stuff, most of what I found is thanks you to. :thumbsup

mercury26
10-09-2016, 07:35 AM
Now if I could only get NCSExpert to work with my car. :rolleyes Which is whole different issue, I can get PASoft to work. But I cannot get NavCoder or INPA to read any of the modules. :(