PDA

View Full Version : How often should I get an oil change?

L0veZHP
11-01-2016, 03:44 PM
I've searched online for the answer and there are several answers. I guess each is based on personal perfence but I personally put only about 5k miles a year on my car. This year coming in I don't really plan to use my car at all. It will mostly be in a garage. Since I go by time I usually change my oil once every 3 months. Do you think it's excessive or should I change my oil less times a year? I'm trying to save money btw on this lol

fw_fw
11-01-2016, 03:50 PM
You'll get 50 responders and 50 different opinions on this one:

For me, with modern synthetic oils, 5K miles or 1 year, whatever comes first. Modern synthetics don't degrade over time like past oils....

3ZHPGUY
11-01-2016, 03:55 PM
I've used the manufactures 15K miles for the last ten years and 120K of my miles with no issues.
I've also always paid the big bucks and let the dealer do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BADCLOWN
11-01-2016, 03:58 PM
I run amsoil 5w40 full euro synthetic with an OE filter and change mine every 5k

holyc0w
11-01-2016, 04:03 PM
Time-wise, since I don't put too many miles on I use 1 year as a guideline for synthetic oil. I probably did the research at some point, but I've heard before that one year should be okay.

L0veZHP
11-01-2016, 04:07 PM
Umm I'll probably do it twice a year than just to be safe. Crazy how there are so many mixed opinions on this, especially since our cars are over 10 years old you think there would be verification to things like this

Aeternalis
11-01-2016, 04:28 PM
I went 7500 miles on my first change, but Blackstone suggested trying a lower interval due to some stuff in the lab report. I'm going to try 6000 next and see where my motor's at. I strongly suspect that the previous owners didn't use very good oils and gasoline.

I do a lot of driving of all types.

fw_fw
11-01-2016, 04:30 PM
Umm I'll probably do it twice a year than just to be safe. Crazy how there are so many mixed opinions on this, especially since our cars are over 10 years old you think there would be verification to things like this

There is: Blackstone Labs. Do a baseline test for reference, then one another 5K later. Same oil for both. BSL will tell you based upon your car's mechanical condition and oil condition what will work for your car.

das boots
11-09-2016, 07:29 PM
Don't matter if I use M1 5w-30 or M1 0W-40, I still change every 6K. That's just me.

Some environmental whacko will start screaming for my head.

BMWCurves
11-09-2016, 08:08 PM
Don't matter if I use M1 5w-30 or M1 0W-40, I still change every 6K. That's just me.

Some environmental whacko will start screaming for my head.

Old motor oil can be recycled. Oregon takes it if it's in clear plastic jugs.

san
11-10-2016, 06:31 AM
Old motor oil can be recycled. Oregon takes it if it's in clear plastic jugs.

Or you can give the old oil to auto zone and they will recycle it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

das boots
11-10-2016, 07:53 AM
Disposal is not the problem. The whackos comes after people who use / change oil excessively. But I just gaff them off......

I work for the County. I work with folks from the Environmental Services. They always hound me on my oil changing intervals. And they drive Prius's. And the vehicles assigned to them have to be hybrids. And I mean...Have to!!!!!

ELCID86
11-10-2016, 05:50 PM
I use mobile1 0w40 and go about 7500 on it. Blackstone said it could go a bit more.

Time for a change tomorrow.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous E46 fanatic