PDA

View Full Version : Koni Yellows Installed and DISA rebuild

Jon D
11-05-2016, 09:46 AM
FWIW just did Koni Yellows install at about 55K with stock springs set at 3/4 from soft. Updated mounts etc. Net net very nice combo firm without being hard/bouncy. Good compliance but still very controlled when pushing the car (no comment to where or how fast). Good suggestion for those that don't want to go coilovers. Thanks to those before who figured this out.

Also had a slight hesitation under 4K (auto trans), that did used to be there no codes, did the rebuild figuring couldn't hurt - solved the issue car pulls better now that it has in a long time.

Upside is urge to replace with a Porsche is a less urgent - downside is urge to replace with a Porsche is a less urgent. I really want a 991 911 cabrio.

BMWCurves
11-05-2016, 10:11 AM
FWIW just did Koni Yellows install at about 55K with stock springs set at 3/4 from soft. Updated mounts etc. Net net very nice combo firm without being hard/bouncy. Good compliance but still very controlled when pushing the car (no comment to where or how fast). Good suggestion for those that don't want to go coilovers. Thanks to those before who figured this out.

Also had a slight hesitation under 4K (auto trans), that did used to be there no codes, did the rebuild figuring couldn't hurt - solved the issue car pulls better now that it has in a long time.

Upside is urge to replace with a Porsche is a less urgent - downside is urge to replace with a Porsche is a less urgent. I really want a 991 911 cabrio.

With regard to the Konis, very nice! It's the same setup I have (I did mine at ~51k miles, 3/4 turn from soft) and I am very pleased with it. As you said, it's firm but still compliant. Definitely rides better than before, IMO.
Which rebuild did you do, of the DISA? I assume you used the G.A.S. kit?

Jon D
11-05-2016, 12:53 PM
With regard to the Konis, very nice! It's the same setup I have (I did mine at ~51k miles, 3/4 turn from soft) and I am very pleased with it. As you said, it's firm but still compliant. Definitely rides better than before, IMO.
Which rebuild did you do, of the DISA? I assume you used the G.A.S. kit?

Yes did the setup based on your post, could have maybe used 1/4 turn but it's too much effort to adjust the rears. Good starting point.

And of course the GAS kit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

holyc0w
11-05-2016, 01:28 PM
I did half a turn from the softest, and it's working out pretty well.

BMWCurves
11-05-2016, 01:33 PM
Yes did the setup based on your post, could have maybe used 1/4 turn but it's too much effort to adjust the rears. Good starting point.

And of course the GAS kit

1/4 additional turn or 1/4 turn less? I put it at 3/4 turn assuming it would settle to about 1/2 turn from soft and I'd adjust it from there. It has settled but hasn't needed additional adjustment since the original installation for my daily needs.

I did half a turn from the softest, and it's working out pretty well.

:thumbsup

Jon D
11-05-2016, 01:40 PM
1/4 more.. there's a fine line for an everyday car between to stiff and not stiff enough for when you want it.

Edit - also my shocks were not leaking or showing any issues of damage but they were shot. So if you are still running factory shocks I would strongly consider replacement.

slater
11-05-2016, 06:13 PM
very cool. i love my bilstein PSS but i still want to try koni yellows with stock springs. i'd have to get top-adjustable rears though as i'd be adjusting them a lot over the first month or so.

BMWCurves
11-05-2016, 06:23 PM
very cool. i love my bilstein PSS but i still want to try koni yellows with stock springs. i'd have to get top-adjustable rears though as i'd be adjusting them a lot over the first month or so.

If you're ever out on the Best Coast, let me know. You can take a spin in mine :)

anandoc
11-05-2016, 07:54 PM
<snip> but i still want to try koni yellows with stock springs <snip>

Thats the plan for my car. Maybe next summer...maybe...

slater
11-07-2016, 05:59 AM
If you're ever out on the Best Coast, let me know. You can take a spin in mine :)

Best, LOL. true on many levels!!

might be out there next summer, we'll see...

Thats the plan for my car. Maybe next summer...maybe...

oh yeah? sweet! let's do it in april so i can try it early. ;)

BMWCurves
11-07-2016, 07:33 AM
Best, LOL. true on many levels!!

might be out there next summer, we'll see...

Perfect. Swing by in late July or early August

Jon D
11-24-2016, 01:27 PM
Just a follow up. Took first road trip, shocks changed the car, much better, taken the edge off the new car now cause I'm tired of this thing.

Second is mileage is up about 3mpg on the highway and the DISA rebuild has really made car more responsive. I did not change anything else at the time so direct correlation.

ELCID86
11-24-2016, 05:45 PM
Wow. That's good news!

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous E46 fanatic

Sockethead
11-24-2016, 06:18 PM
RE rear shock mounts.... you can pull the shocks from the bottom without having to pull the trunk liner

Just a follow up. Took first road trip, shocks changed the car, much better, taken the edge off the new car now cause I'm tired of this thing.

Second is mileage is up about 3mpg on the highway and the DISA rebuild has really made car more responsive. I did not change anything else at the time so direct correlation.

I had the same results with both the Konis and the DISA :thumbsup