PDA

View Full Version : Possible to repair broken coin tray?

dpark
12-01-2016, 12:14 AM
I have the center console with the tray and the rotating coin holder that sits under the center armrest.

I believe the part number for the coin tray is: 51168217959

My question is: The coin tray used to stay "open" when you rotated it, but now it does not. So when full of coins, the weight makes i rotate to the closed position.

I have taken out the tray but cannot figure out what is "broken" that is keeping the rotating coin tray from staying open.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is this fixable? or do I just need to buy a new one?

dparak

dpark
12-01-2016, 12:18 AM
Looking closely there is a little plastic "bump" on one side of the rotating part where the coins go. Did this "bump" just wear down over time? Can I just keep adding drops of something like superglue to "build it back up" again so that it stays open?

slater
12-01-2016, 03:38 AM
i believe there is a spring in there that keeps it open.

i might have a spare here... i will check.

az3579
12-01-2016, 04:32 AM
I'm just surprised to hear that someone actually uses it. lol

slater
12-01-2016, 04:51 AM

haha... i've often thought about how i could turn that thing into something useful. :)

az3579
12-01-2016, 07:28 AM
haha... i've often thought about how i could turn that thing into something useful. :)

I turned it into something useful by deleting it and putting a euro tray in. :)

slater
12-01-2016, 07:32 AM
I turned it into something useful by deleting it and putting a euro tray in. :)

LOL... good point. :)

i've been thinking about this too. i use the armrest occassionally... but not often.

Karl Lazlo
12-01-2016, 09:46 AM

Mine are filled with Skittles.

dpark
12-01-2016, 02:12 PM
OK, ok, ok. Make fun of me, but I do use the coin tray, or at least I did until it wouldn't stay open anymore. I think it was held open by friction. If there is a place for a spring to hold it open, I don't see where it would go. I do use the tray in front of it but i put other stuff there other than coins.

az3579
12-01-2016, 02:35 PM
OK, ok, ok. Make fun of me, but I do use the coin tray, or at least I did until it wouldn't stay open anymore. I think it was held open by friction. If there is a place for a spring to hold it open, I don't see where it would go. I do use the tray in front of it but i put other stuff there other than coins.

We're not making fun of you at all - lol
We're just surprised someone found a use for it. Coins aren't really needed anymore in cars now that tolls are mostly EZ-pass and so expensive that paper cash is the only way to really pay them, and most parking meters around here at least take credit card.

But anyway, on to trying to answer your question:
I just picked up my old coin tray and looking at it, I've determined that it is most definitely friction-held.

When in the fully open position, the spring helps hold the assembly in place. When I took the spring out, the whole coin rotater thing just fell into the recess only when in the fully open position. Otherwise, it doesn't seem to serve a function as far as the "holding power" of the rotating piece.

The rotating piece itself clicks closed and clicks open by a little nub that supposedly fits into a small groove on the inside of the recess. I'll bet you that nub is worn out.

Here is a picture of the nub:

Since I have absolutely no use for this, you can have mine for the price of boxing and shipping. Let me know if you want to go this route.

danewilson77
12-01-2016, 02:42 PM
I may have this on the shelf.

Sent by the Pixel XL