PDA

View Full Version : I can haz ZHP? part II (help me find one for realz this time)

UdubBadger
12-12-2016, 08:16 AM
Hey all,

Well the E90 M3 is up for sale and just like my E46 M3, I had 3 solid offers within the first 24 hours on the car so it looks like it's time to replace it.

I am looking to go in 2 directions right now in hopes of saving money for a house in the near future. The first route is obviously why I am here posting this - I'd love to get back into a ZHP. The second would be to get a Toyota Corolla on lease for a few years for about the same money (obviously knowing I get nothing back in the end sucks but it also has it's upsides). That is only appealing to me because high gas mileage, no maintenance fees for 2 yrs and a warranty on the car. I love BMWs but we all know money goes in and doesn't find its way out.

Anyway, I want to have 1-2 solid leads on each front so I'm looking for some help from the mafia. I've combed though the listings on many sites and not seeing much inventory out there for what I'm looking for at the moment.

Illirep's brothers 05 AW/Grey AT is a high consideration as it has everything I'm looking for except the 3rd pedal so with that in mind I just wanted to make sure I covered my butt and exhausted the possibilities before committing to that in the next few days.

Here is what I am looking for in a ZHP -

Sedan only
non black interior
lighter color exterior (def no black), white, silver and mystic blue are at the top of my list
mileage under 130k
"turn key" condition meaning it doesn't need anything right now in terms of preventative servicing or cosmetic restoration in a major capacity
6mt is highly preferred
htd seats is a bonus but I guess not necessary anymore. I still use it in the mornings now though.
Also I am in AZ now so if I can find something on the west coast that would also make the process easier and less expensive to have to get something shipped out this way.

ultimately price wise I want to be as low as possible but I'm wanting to make sure I get the right vehicle first.

So with all that said if anyone would like to aid in my search over the next few days it would be GREATLY appreciate so I can avoid the Corolla option and actually still like driving my car for then next couple of years :)

Thanks all.
-Seth

danewilson77
12-12-2016, 08:49 AM
GLWF

Sent by the Pixel XL

UdubBadger
12-12-2016, 08:50 AM
Thanks D

UdubBadger
12-12-2016, 08:53 AM
This was one of the other ones I found. Spoke to the sales manager on Saturday. Not sure he knows it's a zhp and I acted dumb about why the price was so high on cargurus. He said it may be a pricing mistake so he's "looking into it" for me.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourc eContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&formSourceTag=112&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c22260&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c22261&zip=85251&distance=500&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=156863684

TheFinanceGuy
12-12-2016, 10:31 AM
This was one of the other ones I found. Spoke to the sales manager on Saturday. Not sure he knows it's a zhp and I acted dumb about why the price was so high on cargurus. He said it may be a pricing mistake so he's "looking into it" for me.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourc eContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&formSourceTag=112&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c22260&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c22261&zip=85251&distance=500&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=156863684

Wrong color Seth. Otherwise looks nice.

UdubBadger
12-12-2016, 11:21 AM
Wrong color Seth. Otherwise looks nice.

lol I have always liked TiAg. Classic BMW color but yeah the pickings are slim right now since I need light interior colors.

NoVAphotog
12-12-2016, 01:05 PM
lol I have always liked TiAg. Classic BMW color but yeah the pickings are slim right now since I need light interior colors.

I was confused by that for a second than I remembered you are in AZ now...makes sense. Though could do a tint?

Pip
12-12-2016, 01:25 PM
Hmm...I keep entertaining this idea myself but always comes back to how expensive zhps have become. Maybe standard 330i sport?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UdubBadger
12-12-2016, 02:13 PM
I was confused by that for a second than I remembered you are in AZ now...makes sense. Though could do a tint?

Definitely will be tinting ;)

UdubBadger
12-12-2016, 02:14 PM
Hmm...I keep entertaining this idea myself but always comes back to how expensive zhps have become. Maybe standard 330i sport?

Nahhhhh ;)

I'm sure I can find a good one.

KevinC
12-12-2016, 02:33 PM
Welcome to the Sonoran furnace. I wouldn't shy away from black interiors - really doesn't make much difference at all, once you tint the car and use a sunshade for the windshield (absolutely necessity here during the summer). Just avoid dark exterior colors, and you'll be fine. I've been here almost 13 years now and all of my cars have had black interiors, zero regret.

Keep your eyes peeled for local ZHPs, they turn up fairly regularly. GL with your search!

Vas
12-12-2016, 02:55 PM
How about a 540i?

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-bmw-540i-3/

UdubBadger
12-12-2016, 02:57 PM
Thanks Kevin. My buddy said if I can get a light interior it'll be helpful plus less likely to fade in the sun and all of that. Tint and sunshade for sure but I want to do it right and not regret getting black and then burning my ass each day after it sitting in the sun at work.

UdubBadger
12-12-2016, 02:58 PM
How about a 540i?

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-bmw-540i-3/

Not bad, may need to keep my eye on this one even despite the fact I won't save a dime on gas LOL

Johnmadd
12-12-2016, 03:28 PM
What's the legal limit for tint there?

UdubBadger
12-12-2016, 03:37 PM
they say 30 but I don't hear of cops measuring. I wouldn't be comfortable with anything darker than 25 regardless. Have a hard enough time seeing out of my 35 on the M3.

holyc0w
12-12-2016, 08:59 PM
Depending on how soon you're looking to purchase, might be a good bit easier to find the right car and then swap the interior. Numbers are on the side of the dark interior.

UdubBadger
12-13-2016, 05:10 AM
Depending on how soon you're looking to purchase, might be a good bit easier to find the right car and then swap the interior. Numbers are on the side of the dark interior.

Probably a horrible idea for me since there will be extra costs involved.

I've taken an oath to let go of the modding bug.

ZHPizza
12-13-2016, 06:41 AM
I've taken an oath to let go of the modding bug.

I told myself the same thing two years ago. Sold my problematic ZHP, bought a brand new [yet sporty] economy sedan (Mazda 6), and said that I was going to be content with the gas mileage and reliability.

Two years and several thousand dollars of "I'll just add this little thing" later, I've realized that it would have been much cheaper to keep the ZHP and rebuild the whole damn car.

I picked up another ZHP a few weeks ago and will likely be swallowing my pride, admitting I was wrong, and eating the cost of selling a 2 year old car that I poured way too much money into.

Good luck with your own attempt at denying your passion!

UdubBadger
12-13-2016, 07:05 AM
Yeah I know. Problem is I need some changes in my life right now. Home ownership and financial stability for the future have taken a back seat to me "having fun" with cars in the past. There will be another time and place for it but starting a new job where I am 75% paid on commission sales is tough right now and it takes several months to get my pipeline going to making good money. I need to let this become steady, build back up my savings and reserve funds and start contributing my full 6% to a 401k and IRA instead of buying wheels and superchargers.
I'm turning 35 in 2 weeks and just need to start acting like it instead of feeling like I need to make up for a rough childhood with adult toys.

BMWCurves
12-13-2016, 07:54 AM
Yeah I know. Problem is I need some changes in my life right now. Home ownership and financial stability for the future have taken a back seat to me "having fun" with cars in the past. There will be another time and place for it but starting a new job where I am 75% paid on commission sales is tough right now and it takes several months to get my pipeline going to making good money. I need to let this become steady, build back up my savings and reserve funds and start contributing my full 6% to a 401k and IRA instead of buying wheels and superchargers.
I'm turning 35 in 2 weeks and just need to start acting like it instead of feeling like I need to make up for a rough childhood with adult toys.

Psh...fiscal responsibility is greatly overrated.

Good luck in your search though!

KevinC
12-13-2016, 08:39 AM
What's the legal limit for tint there?

Pretty sure it's 35%, but you NEVER get hassled for it here. Also we're a no-front-plate state, no safety inspection state, and smog checks are once every 4 years, take about 3 minutes, and a nasty smokestack from Youngstown would pass with flying colors. :roundel

UdubBadger
12-13-2016, 09:26 AM
Pretty sure it's 35%, but you NEVER get hassled for it here. Also we're a no-front-plate state, no safety inspection state, and smog checks are once every 4 years, take about 3 minutes, and a nasty smokestack from Youngstown would pass with flying colors. :roundel

I know my M3 with no cats passed with flying colors lol

BMWCurves
12-13-2016, 11:35 AM
I know my M3 with no cats passed with flying colors lol

What are they even inspecting at that point? That the exhaust is not too clean?

KevinC
12-13-2016, 12:11 PM
What are they even inspecting at that point? That the exhaust is not too clean?

Only 2 things from what I can tell - a fuel cap pressure test, and an OBD readiness test. That's it. They don't pull the hood, don't sniff the exhaust. Not sure when the quit the latter, my first inspections here included a sniffer, but not the last few.

We really need to nix this program, it's stupid at this point. Arizona would be much better served by converting these state-run smog stations into safety inspection stations, and having some sort of annual inspection. I'm sick of people driving around with lights burned out or horrendously mis-aimed, knobby tires sticking out 4 inches past fenders (which is a good way to break a bunch of windshields here, we're already the capital of windshield damage), various body parts hanging off the car, etc etc.

Johnmadd
12-13-2016, 02:44 PM
Only 2 things from what I can tell - a fuel cap pressure test, and an OBD readiness test. That's it. They don't pull the hood, don't sniff the exhaust. Not sure when the quit the latter, my first inspections here included a sniffer, but not the last few.

We really need to nix this program, it's stupid at this point. Arizona would be much better served by converting these state-run smog stations into safety inspection stations, and having some sort of annual inspection. I'm sick of people driving around with lights burned out or horrendously mis-aimed, knobby tires sticking out 4 inches past fenders (which is a good way to break a bunch of windshields here, we're already the capital of windshield damage), various body parts hanging off the car, etc etc.

Be careful what you ask for, I understand the problem but annual inspection makes the station more likely to nit pick hoping you will bring it back for service even if its borderline.

UdubBadger
12-13-2016, 06:47 PM
Hahaha

az3579
12-14-2016, 05:10 AM
Be careful what you ask for, I understand the problem but annual inspection makes the station more likely to nit pick hoping you will bring it back for service even if its borderline.

I agree with Kevin. There are far too many cars on the road that shouldn't be, even here in CT.
I don't really mind them nit-picking about important stuff. But, in the example that Shawn gave me (maybe a couple of years ago)... fog lights? Really? They aren't critical to anything and not even every car has them, yet they wouldn't let him pass only because the car had the option and they didn't work. Give me a break.

All the important stuff though - a brake light bulb out, tires that are at the minimum, a misaligned headlight, cracked windshield - I'm all for nitpicking on these things. They are safety items that affect the operation (and visibility) of a motor vehicle.

Johnmadd
12-14-2016, 06:54 AM
I agree with Kevin. There are far too many cars on the road that shouldn't be, even here in CT.
I don't really mind them nit-picking about important stuff. But, in the example that Shawn gave me (maybe a couple of years ago)... fog lights? Really? They aren't critical to anything and not even every car has them, yet they wouldn't let him pass only because the car had the option and they didn't work. Give me a break.

All the important stuff though - a brake light bulb out, tires that are at the minimum, a misaligned headlight, cracked windshield - I'm all for nitpicking on these things. They are safety items that affect the operation (and visibility) of a motor vehicle.

I failed because my brand new headlight lenses did not have a d.o.t. stamp and my foglights didn't shut off when the high beams came on.

fredo
12-14-2016, 07:22 AM
I failed because my brand new headlight lenses did not have a d.o.t. stamp and my foglights didn't shut off when the high beams came on.

That's crazy. Are they khoalty lenses ?

Johnmadd
12-14-2016, 07:43 AM
That's crazy. Are they khoalty lenses ?

Yes.

az3579
12-14-2016, 12:42 PM
I failed because my brand new headlight lenses did not have a d.o.t. stamp

This is an example of something that's ludicrous to even check.

and my foglights didn't shut off when the high beams came on.

Another one of those "so?" moments. If the highbeams are on, the fog lights are the least of anyone's concern, especially since they're pointed DOWNwards...

Some places taken it to unnecessary extremes, like VA. They need to make it more common sense and less ridiculous.

ZHPizza
12-14-2016, 01:24 PM
Another one of those "so?" moments. If the highbeams are on, the fog lights are the least of anyone's concern, especially since they're pointed DOWNwards...

I believe the law is that you can only have four lights on at once. Now if they would start enforcing this law on brodozers with LED bars...

az3579
12-14-2016, 06:27 PM
I believe the law is that you can only have four lights on at once. Now if they would start enforcing this law on brodozers with LED bars...

If they ignore all the ignorant people with HID kits in their halogen headlight housings, something tells me the lifted Jeeps/pickups aren't going to ever get bothered for it.

It seems to me that VA inspection is kind of like a DUI checkpoint: a free way of giving you the finger. Example: You'll never get pulled over in most places for missing a front plate, but a DUI checkpoint is just too easy to hand out tickets since you have to stop anyway. VA inspection is the same crap - they only bring it up because it's so easy and convenient for them to do so. And that is why I even have a front plate on... you can only pull the "the bracket is on order" excuse so many times in your home town.

UdubBadger
12-14-2016, 07:39 PM
Well boys. Happy and sad news.

Car has a deposit on it so M3 is going to likely be going to a new home (mixed feelings right now as always)

Guy wants to come get it on Friday. So because of that, looks like the ZHP option is out of the question as I don't have time or resources to wait for the right one anymore. illirep's brothers would have been great and we spoke at length but I don't even have time to wait for it to get shipped out to me. Unfortunately moving to AZ has pretty much exhausted my resources to pull that off so looks like I'll have to go out this weekend and take whatever I can find locally.

Kinda bummed it looks like I may for the first time in 9 years not be in a BMW. :(

Feels weird to even type that.

slater
12-14-2016, 08:05 PM
just buy a beater and wait for the right ZHP.

fredo
12-14-2016, 09:12 PM
I suggest buy a compact, 2 or 3 years old, with warranty left and call it a day. You can find decent ones for $10k or less.

az3579
12-15-2016, 04:40 AM

Or ask the guy buying the car to please wait until you can find a replacement.

Seth, I would have thought you'd have a replacement before selling the M3. I take it you're selling because you must? If that's the case, total bummer..

UdubBadger
12-15-2016, 05:33 AM
Yeah doesn't work like that guys. If I had gobs of cash lying around I would. Unfortunately this move to AZ drained a lot of my savings plus my financial pipeline at work is still a couple months from being full as I'm paid on commission, so I have to finance whatever is next. Not gonna by a beater and wait for zhp, I'll lose money instantly driving it away the lot and I don't have time to set up a loan through my credit union as that takes at least a week.

Leasing a new car with warranty is probably the fiscally responsible thing to do right now even though I know in the end it's money I'll never get back (cheaper monthly than financing a CPO also). Just need to save up max dollars for the next year or so for a house and then I'll be back to the car-guy life I think (and hope).

Looked at an Acura ILX yesterday, today is a Subaru Forester and then MAYBE a Corolla S. I've basically got till Sunday night to find something and have it ready to take me to work Monday morning.

UdubBadger
12-15-2016, 05:35 AM
Or ask the guy buying the car to please wait until you can find a replacement.

Seth, I would have thought you'd have a replacement before selling the M3. I take it you're selling because you must? If that's the case, total bummer..

Tried that, since the holidays are close by he insisted it's Friday or he'll pass. Even though I had other very interested people on the line I figured passing up a sale is a bad idea. If it falls though that's one thing, but he agreed to asking price so I'd be dumb to let him walk away.

Johnmadd
12-15-2016, 06:39 AM
Good luck Seth.

az3579
12-15-2016, 08:00 AM
Tried that, since the holidays are close by he insisted it's Friday or he'll pass. Even though I had other very interested people on the line I figured passing up a sale is a bad idea. If it falls though that's one thing, but he agreed to asking price so I'd be dumb to let him walk away.

Gotcha.

ELCID86
12-15-2016, 09:04 AM

+1

UdubBadger
12-15-2016, 09:18 AM
+1

Bank of PSF gonna finance me? Lol

KevinC
12-15-2016, 04:02 PM
Your car has arrived...

http://bringatrailer.com/2016/12/15/low-key-m3-touring-build-2003-bmw-325i/

UdubBadger
12-15-2016, 05:33 PM
I know I saw that.

ELCID86
12-15-2016, 05:56 PM
Bank of PSF gonna finance me? Lol

We might be able to arrange something!
I'd rather see that than you get fleeced by a lease.

fredo
12-18-2016, 07:59 PM
How was the M3 delivery ? And you must have a new car by now. Can we haz updates, plz ?

UdubBadger
12-19-2016, 07:53 AM
Delivery was a shit show but it went through. Broke one of my major rules and brought it to a run thru wash because I was short on time and hand washes out here are like desert rabbits in the summer sun (nowhere to be found). Went to pull in and the attendant guided me onto the track... except the track wasn't happy with my front bumper so it decided to crack it and the splitter on it.

Filed a claim with them, should hear today. Called the buyer to give him the heads up. Gave him a few hundred off to replace the splitters and told him I would forward on the claim money for the bumper to him. Since he works for BMW he's gonna have his dealership do a quote and send me that to give to the car wash to pay out. He'll likely make money on that since a retail quote isn't even close to what he'll pay so he said it was cool, very understanding but man my heart was racing for about an hour that this would all fall thru.

Went out and picked up an 2017 Acura ILX (fancy Civic) and got a $0 down lease deal with a very affordable payment. Happy bout that, though my heart of course wishes I was able to do another BMW. This is the move I needed to make though. I have had urges all weekend to buy parts and accessories for this car and I was able to fight that off last night and deleted all my saved carts and such of wheels and lowering springs and spoilers and all of that. Trying to just concentrate on driving a car for A to B purposes right now. It's not horrible to drive, just wish it was a little better looking in some areas. Who knows, maybe I'll change a few small things as I go... don't want to invest much since its a lease so it would all need to be easily reversed anyway. Just gotta keep reminding myself why I did this and not go drop $2000 on stuff that "would be nice to have" when I don't actually need it. If and when the need arises, I will address then (might have to cave and pick up a Thule rack for my bike at some point).

Thanks for all the help guys. Always appreciated. I'm still 1/3 on these WTB threads so that's likely a HOF career finding ZHP's in the major leagues. LOL

WOLFN8TR
12-19-2016, 09:48 AM
Congrats Seth good to hear the deal went thru ok! Post up some pictures when you get a chance.

Welcome to the Sonoran furnace. I wouldn't shy away from black interiors - really doesn't make much difference at all, once you tint the car and use a sunshade for the windshield (absolutely necessity here during the summer). Just avoid dark exterior colors, and you'll be fine. I've been here almost 13 years now and all of my cars have had black interiors, zero regret.

Hey Seth I've had a Black interior in every car I've owned since High School and it's not bad if you have tinted windows and use a sunshade.

So thats why I buy expensive toys all the time! :facepalm When is you Birthday?

Also we're a no-front-plate state, no safety inspection state, and smog checks are once every 4 years, take about 3 minutes, and a nasty smokestack from Youngstown would pass with flying colors.

My home town! :thumbsup

That is ridiculous. They really need to apply so common sense to these inspections.

UdubBadger
12-19-2016, 10:34 AM
Thanks Gary, just wanted to make it as easy as possible. People who've been out here a while all say they got used to black interiors and such but I am anticipating June-Aug being difficult for me the first couple of years. I am a cold weather guy, I run warm already, so any amount of heat relief I can add in will likely be helpful.

WOLFN8TR
12-19-2016, 02:28 PM
Oh boy if your warm already you are in for a HOT summer! Probably a good move on your part then.