PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody in the DC area help me out with some maintenance

JPMo
01-03-2017, 10:26 AM
Hello again,

So i've relocated to the DMV area (specifically Laurel, MD). I've noticed my steering wheel to be very sloppy on the highway and have a hard time maintaining a straight course, especially on bumps. I went to the BMW dealer for an oil change and got hit with busted sway bar end links and lower control arm bushings. Can anyone with tools and some time help me replace these or recommend a GOOD shop? I replaced the control arm bushings 2 months ago at a shop in S. Florida, which i found on bimmershops.com, and look where we are now.

Thanks!

az3579
01-03-2017, 10:51 AM
I replaced the control arm bushings 2 months ago at a shop in S. Florida, which i found on bimmershops.com, and look where we are now.

Just as a word of warning, don't buy Meyle CABs or control arms. This is probably what they used... :(

Sreten
01-03-2017, 10:54 AM
Do you know which brand for bushings they've used?

Best way to tell if the bushings are shot, drive at low speed and stab the brake. You will feel the wheels move if they are bad. Causes the steering wheel to jump left and right.

It's actually pretty easy to replace them. Plenty of DIYs around.

JPMo
01-03-2017, 11:04 AM
Thanks! Im going off what the dealership told me, which was that the rubber piece is almost coming out and the left control arm is coming apart. Its wet and cold outside so I haven't been able to take a look just yet.

NoVAphotog
01-03-2017, 11:05 AM
Hello again,

So i've relocated to the DMV area (specifically Laurel, MD). I've noticed my steering wheel to be very sloppy on the highway and have a hard time maintaining a straight course, especially on bumps. I went to the BMW dealer for an oil change and got hit with busted sway bar end links and lower control arm bushings. Can anyone with tools and some time help me replace these or recommend a GOOD shop? I replaced the control arm bushings 2 months ago at a shop in S. Florida, which i found on bimmershops.com, and look where we are now.

Thanks!

My friend Austin has a shop in Frederick. A couple members on here have gone to him for service with great reviews. PM sent with his info.

JPMo
01-03-2017, 11:06 AM
Just as a word of warning, don't buy Meyle CABs or control arms. This is probably what they used... :(

I didn't know that Meyle parts were bad but I specifically asked if he was using OEM parts to which he assured me that he was. Maybe I should have had him show me the parts he was ordering before he did anything. Lesson learned. I called him and he wants me to send him the defective pieces to get my money back.

Vas
01-03-2017, 11:19 AM
Order the parts online and have a trusted shop install them or some people that are local that are willing to help out. I would but I am 2 hours away from NOVA.

FYI, Do not buy Meyle. Stick to Lemforder or OE BMW parts.

Also now might be a good time to upgrade to Z4M FCAB http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1119519 and then have the car aligned.

az3579
01-03-2017, 12:36 PM
I didn't know that Meyle parts were bad but I specifically asked if he was using OEM parts to which he assured me that he was. Maybe I should have had him show me the parts he was ordering before he did anything. Lesson learned. I called him and he wants me to send him the defective pieces to get my money back.

I can't speak to all Meyle parts, but I do know that their control arms and control arm bushings are crap. I had their control arms and control arm bushings fail within a year (30k miles).

That is some pretty good customer service on that shop's part, though.

John in VA
01-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Is the Meyle HD line of products any better?

msbc721
01-03-2017, 04:15 PM
If your willing to travel to Baltimore area, I can hook ya up

az3579
01-03-2017, 05:10 PM

No. The HD's are exactlly what failed fantastically on mine; both the control arms and the bushings were HD's.

Dave1027
01-09-2017, 09:55 AM
The Meyle FCABs are just fine and hold up better than OEM BMW because they are solid rubber, not oil filled. This means they cannot pop. The Meyle FCABs are a good compromise between OEM and poly.

Dave1027
01-09-2017, 09:59 AM
No. The HD's are exactlly what failed fantastically on mine; both the control arms and the bushings were HD's.

Curious to know how they failed? Especially the FCABs. How can rubber in an aluminum collar fail?

NoVAphotog
01-09-2017, 10:28 AM
The Meyle FCABs are just fine and hold up better than OEM BMW because they are solid rubber, not oil filled. This means they cannot pop. The Meyle FCABs are a good compromise between OEM and poly.

The Z4M or M3 bushings are the better compromise because solid rubber and OEM.

Dave1027
01-09-2017, 10:38 AM
The Z4M or M3 bushings are the better compromise because solid rubber and OEM.My concern with those is because of the offset of the bushing, they would not give much cushion on one side. That may not be an issue though due to the increased cushion on the frontal impact side.

az3579
01-09-2017, 10:51 AM
Curious to know how they failed? Especially the FCABs. How can rubber in an aluminum collar fail?

Both of the control arms had failed ball joints and both FCABs had play in them.
They lasted less than 33,307 miles, or 1 year, 1 month, and a few days.