PDA

View Full Version : Tricky problem with windshield washer fluid leak

dpark
01-05-2017, 01:36 PM
I have an odd problem that I thought was a failed/cracked headlight washer pump and has turned into a pain in the butt.

What I noticed: Low washer fluid light, washer fluid on floor under car. However leak is so slow I haven't been able

Did some searching: Lots of leaking problems attributd to cracked washer pump.

What I have done so far: Removed washer tank and confirmed it does not have a crack. Have looked at both washer pumps and they are working fine and don't have any visual indications of leaking.

Secondary finding: The passenger side headlamp washer is working BUT the driver side headlamp washer is not.

So my connundrum is this: is it likely that the leak is somewhere in the tubing between the left and right headlamp washers? There is only one tube coming into the washer fluid tank that somehow feeds both headlamp washers. I don't know and can't see if the tube "splits" at some point or feeds the passenger side washer first and then feeds the driver side. Logically, it can't be the other way because if the leak was at the driver headlamp washer there would be no pressure for the water to reach the passenger side.

If that is the case (leak in the line downstream from the headlight washer pump) how the heck to I find it? Or is the fact that the passenger side headlight washer still works but the driver side washer does not, is there another possible problem?

Any help would be appreciated. Being wintertime in Oregon, I need windshield wiper fluid. I am now travelling with a gallon of washer fluid in my trunk to fill up when it runs dry (which is once a day) and is a real inconvenience.

THanks,

David

dpark
01-05-2017, 03:28 PM
well, I found another problem I didn't realize I had. The passenger siide headlight nozzle is partially broken. It is streaming water everywhere but on the headlight when activated. I could not see this from the driving position but could when my wife activated them in the garage. So I need to replace that. That is probably what is causing the lack of water pressure to the driver side headlamp washer (which does extend, but no water comes out).

I still need to find the source of the leak though...

Oli77
01-05-2017, 03:37 PM
Your problem, I believe is the grommet that is below the washer pump. I would buy a new pump with grommet and filter. You get fresh power and as many could tell you here, the leak will stop. Think the pump was like $25 at ECS.

anandoc
01-05-2017, 04:14 PM
The headlight washer system is a giant PITA and provides very marginal benefits. I'd recommend you cap off the headlight washer pump and and make do with just the windshield washer system.

BMWCurves
01-05-2017, 04:18 PM
The schematic on RealOEM.com shows that there is a single hose out from the headlamp washer pump that then comes to a T and travels to each headlamp washer nozzle (Link (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=BD53-USA-02-2005-E46-BMW-330Ci&diagId=61_1087)). My guess is that the hose to the driver's side headlamp nozzle either has a leak or fell off at the T. Not sure if you can trace it with your hands or not.

That said, when I had my '03 330Ci that had the Cold Weather Package, I just ended up disconnecting and plugging the headlamp washer pump, both electrically and from the hose leading out to the headlamps. It leaked and was often a headache for me. If I had the Cold Weather Package in my current car, I would have disconnected it. It's too much hassle for so little benefit. All I would care about is the washers to the windshield which isn't bothered by disconnecting the pump to the headlamps.

dpark
01-05-2017, 04:38 PM
This keeps getting better and better. The plastic covers for the headlight washers are SUPER flimsy. Turns out both of mine were already broken on the inside, the two loops of plastic that connect onto the headlight nozzle. Surprised neither of them fell off by themselves. I superglued them back together for now and have ordered a new headlight washer nozzle for the right side, and also a new headlight washer pump and filter sleeve to see if this solves the problems of the leak and the zero water pressure on the left side. I think the leak is with the broken headlight washer nozzle. What a pain in the butt...

As for the plasticy headlight washer covers, where do you go to get new ones painted? on FCP Euro, they come primered. Do you just buy touch up paint and paint them? I can't see a body shop going through the trouble of painting things so small...

dpark
01-05-2017, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the inputs. Yes, this is turning into a giant PITA. If I didn't already pull the trigger on the 3 new parts (pump, grommet/filter, nozzle head) I would have gone with the "plug up the whole thing" route. I just got into OCD mode on this problem this afternoon and wanted to fix it. But this will be the last time. If it dies again or still leaks. I will just plug the whole thing up.

dpark
01-05-2017, 04:47 PM
The schematic on RealOEM.com shows that there is a single hose out from the headlamp washer pump that then comes to a T and travels to each headlamp washer nozzle (Link (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=BD53-USA-02-2005-E46-BMW-330Ci&diagId=61_1087)). My guess is that the hose to the driver's side headlamp nozzle either has a leak or fell off at the T. Not sure if you can trace it with your hands or not.

That said, when I had my '03 330Ci that had the Cold Weather Package, I just ended up disconnecting and plugging the headlamp washer pump, both electrically and from the hose leading out to the headlamps. It leaked and was often a headache for me. If I had the Cold Weather Package in my current car, I would have disconnected it. It's too much hassle for so little benefit. All I would care about is the washers to the windshield which isn't bothered by disconnecting the pump to the headlamps.

Thanks for the link to this site! Very cool! will definitely bookmark it. I have a sneaking suspicion that because the nozzle is broken on the right side and water literally gushes out when it is "on", that there is no water pressure to drive the driver's side. When I replace the nozzle and pump/grommet I'll know for sure I guess...

anandoc
01-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the inputs. Yes, this is turning into a giant PITA. If I didn't already pull the trigger on the 3 new parts (pump, grommet/filter, nozzle head) I would have gone with the "plug up the whole thing" route. I just got into OCD mode on this problem this afternoon and wanted to fix it. But this will be the last time. If it dies again or still leaks. I will just plug the whole thing up.

I went OCD on this exact thing last summer. Ordered a new pump, grommet, connection piece (61668360181), hose etc. But there was still a leak from one of the actual nozzles. And then the little painted covers cracked and I super-glued them just like you. Then I just gave up and capped the headlight washer pump and disconnected it from the hose and the electrical connector. As long as I have proper functional windshield washers, i'm good.

wsmeyer
01-05-2017, 07:49 PM
The telescopic nozzles are not electric, it's the water pressure that extends them and then when the inner tube is fully extended the water is released though the holes in the end.

Not the best explanation but if you have a leak they won't work at all.

Dual
01-06-2017, 04:27 AM
I feel I recall from somewhere that there's a separate fuse for the headlight washers that can be removed to disable them. Is that the case? Mine are getting a lot of use this winter and I see a failure coming on...

anandoc
01-06-2017, 05:46 AM
I feel I recall from somewhere that there's a separate fuse for the headlight washers that can be removed to disable them. Is that the case? Mine are getting a lot of use this winter and I see a failure coming on...

Or you could just disconnect the electrical connector to the headlight washer pump.

Dual
01-06-2017, 04:08 PM
Thank you! Done (and wrapped).

JPMo
03-08-2017, 04:01 PM
I went OCD on this exact thing last summer. Ordered a new pump, grommet, connection piece (61668360181), hose etc. But there was still a leak from one of the actual nozzles. And then the little painted covers cracked and I super-glued them just like you. Then I just gave up and capped the headlight washer pump and disconnected it from the hose and the electrical connector. As long as I have proper functional windshield washers, i'm good.

Sorry for the old thread revival, but what did you use to cap the pump and allow the reservoir to fill again? I'm having the same issue and I'd really like to use my windshield washers again

Dual
03-08-2017, 04:15 PM
In my case I wrapped the on-reservoir connector with electrical tape, leaving an open void to fill with black RTV.

Later on I removed the headlight washer fuse and put the connector back in place.

anandoc
03-08-2017, 04:18 PM
Sorry for the old thread revival, but what did you use to cap the pump and allow the reservoir to fill again? I'm having the same issue and I'd really like to use my windshield washers again

I took a piece of plastic (actually a pen cap) which fit nicely in the outlet of the headlamp washer pump and then super-glued it. I didnt care about destroying the pump in the process since it was an old, non-functioning one anyways. Sounds ghetto but it worked perfectly for me.

JPMo
03-08-2017, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the info. Im getting tired of seeing the reservoir low light on

shendrick
03-13-2017, 01:30 PM
So it turns out I have a similar problem to dpark. I'm getting washer fluid on the floor on the passenger side in front of and just inboard of the wheel. I would assume that it is either a leak in the plumbing to the head light washers or perhaps it is a leaky pump that is allowing fluid to pass down the hose to the headlight washer nozzle and then dribble out slowly but continuously. Before I start pulling out the headlight to gain access to the plumbing - could the problem simply be the pump? The pumps still work - but perhaps with age the headlight washer pump is just not closing when it turns off. That would be a much easier fix. I did take the tank out and verify that there is no leaking of the tank or where any of the pumps attach to the tank.

dpark
03-18-2017, 07:01 AM
So it turns out I have a similar problem to dpark. I'm getting washer fluid on the floor on the passenger side in front of and just inboard of the wheel. I would assume that it is either a leak in the plumbing to the head light washers or perhaps it is a leaky pump that is allowing fluid to pass down the hose to the headlight washer nozzle and then dribble out slowly but continuously. Before I start pulling out the headlight to gain access to the plumbing - could the problem simply be the pump? The pumps still work - but perhaps with age the headlight washer pump is just not closing when it turns off. That would be a much easier fix. I did take the tank out and verify that there is no leaking of the tank or where any of the pumps attach to the tank.

Hi Shendrick,

THe problem can be insidious if it isn't just the grommet or the headlight washer pump. Neither was the problem for me. I replaced both AND the passenger headlight washer and I still have a very slow leak. The plumbing from the output of the headlight washer pump goes through the bumper and it wasn't worth my time to deal with it anymore.

So despite wasting about $70 on parts, I went to Home Depot and bought a rubber stopper and just shoved it in the hole where the headlight washer grommet and washer pump goes, took out the grommet and washer pump, and used saran wrap and electrical tape to close off the electrical connector. No more headlight washers, no more leak.

Probably the most irritating thing I have ever dealt with on my e46. What a flim-flam system from BMW. Even more than the cooling system, this thing is totally set up to fail and be near impossible to fix.

CYTH_2
03-22-2017, 08:55 AM
This keeps getting better and better. The plastic covers for the headlight washers are SUPER flimsy. Turns out both of mine were already broken on the inside, the two loops of plastic that connect onto the headlight nozzle. Surprised neither of them fell off by themselves. I superglued them back together for now and have ordered a new headlight washer nozzle for the right side, and also a new headlight washer pump and filter sleeve to see if this solves the problems of the leak and the zero water pressure on the left side. I think the leak is with the broken headlight washer nozzle. What a pain in the butt...

As for the plasticy headlight washer covers, where do you go to get new ones painted? on FCP Euro, they come primered. Do you just buy touch up paint and paint them? I can't see a body shop going through the trouble of painting things so small...

In response to your painting issue I'll include the information for ordering the correct matching paint for your car. Yes, you are correct in stating most body repair shops won't wish to deal with such a low order/job. I have gone this route when repairing small areas on my MINI and BMW. The match was PERFECT and indeed sped things along with little hassle.

That said, I had issues with my washer system.. Maining due to my removal of the lamps to install the angle eyes. They really are not that much of an issue once one figures out the sequence. The breakage I can image comes from improper removal of the finish plate (with the the two hoops on the back and it's separation from the nozzle. Upon study it's a really simple press out system (with a slight "twist"). The trick is to use a pick tool. Pull out the assembly (you'll meet resistance (or actually more accurately a dampened resistance) due to the system is under pressure. Well, not if you if have a leak or the system is empty. Anyway, grab the whole thing and pull with your grasp near where the nozzle inserts into the rest of the system. Of course once it pulls out fluid will drain out. Either drain the system beforehand (if it's not empty already) or let the remainder drain into a receptacle.

Once replacing the damaged nozzle with new (or just reassembling with the intact old one due to some other factor) and snapping onto the cover via the two loops just insert the entire sub assembly into the cavity aligning the nozzle stem into the retracted receptacle open ended tube. Then press home. You'll feel it snap in place.

I've done this a few times with the same part and no leakage issues. Neither with the replacement NOR the old 9 year old one.

Also remember the parts are handed (left - right)

Yes, I know I could omit them but I'm anal about keeping things functioning as they were intended. And with a relatively simple system albeit ("fiddly" ) I don't mind keeping the OE system in place.

The paint source:

our Order was placed with AutomotiveTouchup.com. Thank you very much for your order!
We typically take 5-7 business days to process, formulate, manufacture, and ship out your order during peak times. This is because your paint is CUSTOM-MIXED for you and your vehicle. Selecting a faster shipping method does not guarantee a quicker manufacturing process.
If you need to talk to someone in the meantime contact us Toll Free 1-888-710-5192.

ITEMS ORDERED
-------------------------------------------------
Item No.: AER-BC
Description: 12 oz Aerosol Spray Paint, 2005 BMW 3-Series: Sparklng Graphte Metallic A22
Quantity: 1
Item Price: $19.95
Item Total: $19.95

Item No.: AER-CC
Description: 12 oz Aerosol High Gloss Clear Coat
Quantity: 1
Item Price: $7.95
Item Total: $7.95

We look forward to serving you again in the future,
AutomotiveTouchup.com Sales Team
A Microfinish LLC Company

JPMo
01-09-2018, 04:01 PM
So update on my leak. I checked under the hood and noticed that the headlight washer hose connector, which connects the headlight washer pump to the headlight washer tubing, was stained with windshield washer fluid. Today I received a new windshield washer pump and filter thinking that maybe the leak would be resolved if I replaced the pump and had a new gasket. No. Connector still leaks rights where the tubing connects. I’ve attached a photo of my leaking connector which is the white plastic piece with the blue stains.31714 And this is the connector. 31715 PN: BMW8360181

Not sure why it would leak here since the tubing is clamped however the clamp is unfortunately non adjustable. The rubber must be so brittle that it can’t seal anymore. I think tomorrow I’m gonna buy an o ring or 2 to place on the connector and attach everything with a new adjustable hose clamp.
Wish me luck.