PDA

View Full Version : I want to vomit, forgive me ZHP Gods

Prestovie
01-12-2017, 08:17 AM
Since it happened yesterday, I've been able to cool down a bit, but I'm still sick to my stomach thinking about it..
Yesterday after school, I was pulling out of the driveway that I park in when I heard metal on something grinding as I quickly slam on the breaks. I knew right away what it was but I didn't want to believe it. I pulled forward and got out to inspect the damage, and Jesus
One red brick caused so much damage, ate up my wheel AND my sidewall of these brand new Blizzaks! I'm pretty pissed right now, need to order a new tire now to the tune of $200, and I need to get this wheel repaired. Stat.
I removed the wheel last night and tossed the donut on so I wouldn't have to drive around on the torn up tire, which would probably blow up if I put it through any more work on these Illinois potholes.
I suppose the time had to come eventually when I do some damage to her, I just didn't think it would be within the first year of ownership. It's heart breaking. So now I'm looking at about $400 total when everything is said and done, and I'm currently driving around on a spare:(
So that is one hell of a way to end my week of finals in school, guess the pressure just got to me and I wasn't paying attention... I don't know.
What do you guys think? I was quoted almost $200 to fix the wheel alone, but I've been told that mobile companies do it for around $75, anybody have similar experiences?
None of the pictures are turning out right now because I took them portrait, so I'll post after school, but to get an idea it tore through the paint for about 5inches, and took a major divot out of the tire.

nextelbuddy
01-12-2017, 08:20 AM
it sucks but its not worth ending your life over lol

az3579
01-12-2017, 08:20 AM
I wouldn't worry about that sidewall bit. The tire is still holding air and that very slim piece of rubber that came off isn't enough to structurally compromise the time, IMO. Others should chime on this one...

The wheel - you really don't need to replace that either. $200 to fix that wheel is them trying to rip you off. You should be able to have that repaired for less than $100.

slater
01-12-2017, 08:33 AM
it's tire. move on. you'll encounter much bigger problems in life than this... buck up! :ineedabeer

johnrando
01-12-2017, 08:37 AM
Bummer! Warranty on the tire maybe?

slater
01-12-2017, 08:43 AM
Bummer! Warranty on the tire maybe?

not for self-inflicted damage...

anandoc
01-12-2017, 09:14 AM
$200 for fixing the wheel is definitely a rip-off. I can get a wheel re-finished here in Toronto for about $130ish.

Something similar happened to me on my previous car (2004 Hyundai Tiburon). I was in business school (summer of 2012) and was driving home one night when suddenly my passenger side front tire went "whomp-whomp-whomp". I park and get out and see that I had just driven over a bunch of shattered beer bottles (university town, what do you expect) and my tires had been ripped badly. Had to spend a bunch of $$ and order a set of 2 new summer tires.

As others mention, this is not a big deal at all...could have been much worse!

Sockethead
01-12-2017, 09:46 AM
The wheel just needs refinishing, that should be pretty inexpensive. I'd run the tire the way it is for now. Just keep an eye on it for any bubbles forming in that area. I've driven on a lot worse :)

Prestovie
01-12-2017, 09:57 AM
it sucks but its not worth ending your life over lol

Lol I know, a bit of an exaggeration, but it sure felt necessary at the time lol

Prestovie
01-12-2017, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't worry about that sidewall bit. The tire is still holding air and that very slim piece of rubber that came off isn't enough to structurally compromise the time, IMO. Others should chime on this one...

The wheel - you really don't need to replace that either. $200 to fix that wheel is them trying to rip you off. You should be able to have that repaired for less than $100.

Actually? Well that's a relief, I was about to order the new tire after school haha, I'm just worried about driving on it then it blowing out and then totally destroying my wheel. And yea I'm not going to replace the wheel, just get it refinished, hopefully a good couple quotes come back from the companies that i emailed

Prestovie
01-12-2017, 10:00 AM
it's tire. move on. you'll encounter much bigger problems in life than this... buck up! :ineedabeer

Haha yea I suppose so, still a drag to be happening when it is.. currently taking finals, family is closing on a house next week, now this :rolleyes

generalvp
01-12-2017, 10:19 AM
What I want to know is how did OP ran over the brick or how it got lodged there anyways? Ending life over this? LOL

az3579
01-12-2017, 10:29 AM
Think you guys took the ending life comment a little too literally lol

theothersawyer
01-12-2017, 12:12 PM
I started to feel sick from looking at the picture!

Prestovie
01-12-2017, 12:47 PM
What I want to know is how did OP ran over the brick or how it got lodged there anyways? Ending life over this? LOL

I'm not proud of it, but I was backing out of a driveway with the left side of it lined with red bricks. I guess one of them was unaligned so when I hit it the corner dug right into my tire and wheel

Prestovie
01-12-2017, 12:53 PM
Last night I put my spare donut on so that I can drive around while I wait for the shop to fix the damage. I don't have a gauge so I guess it was running pretty low, because when we plugged it into my brothers air compressor it read like a 5 lol, could've sworn I put more in there. But now it's at a healthy 45-50psi, just not very grippy. Should have my wheel back by next week, so now it's just the waiting game.
Also while I was at the shop the guy offered to take $30 off the top if he used a different finish, it was almost identical but noticeably less "glimmers", so I ended up just taking the hit to get it color matched. I mean the entire car is the same color as the wheels, so I figured it'd be pretty noticeable if it was off.
I'll keep you guys posted, and yes I know I could have fixed it myself if I put the effort into it but I just don't have the time right now what with school and everything, and it had to be done to keep me sane.

holyc0w
01-12-2017, 01:10 PM
I'll keep you guys posted, and yes I know I could have fixed it myself if I put the effort into it but I just don't have the time right now what with school and everything, and it had to be done to keep me sane.

I'm not sure anyone would recommend it.

sillieidiot
01-12-2017, 01:23 PM
I came in here thinking that he totaled the car or something lol

holyc0w
01-12-2017, 01:35 PM

Me three

derbo
01-12-2017, 02:08 PM
i didnt know what to think reading that title.

Prestovie
01-12-2017, 03:07 PM

Oh god imagine the title if that ever happens *knock on wood* lol

Prestovie
01-12-2017, 03:07 PM
i didnt know what to think reading that title.

I can admit it was a little forward haha, just a good summary of how I felt

fredo
01-12-2017, 08:02 PM
Two of the tires on my e90 had similar damage, but much smaller. The car didn't pass state inspection (picky technician, I guess) because of it. I asked in DT since I bought the tires there. They offered me a good discount on 2 new ones.

Prestovie
01-12-2017, 09:12 PM
Two of the tires on my e90 had similar damage, but much smaller. The car didn't pass state inspection (picky technician, I guess) because of it. I asked in DT since I bought the tires there. They offered me a good discount on 2 new ones.

Hm, well I'm not up for inspection anytime soon and these are just my winters. I bought them from TireRack, so I doubt they'd do any kind of discount:/ I might be able to get a returning customer discount at the install place though, we'll have to see.
Someone recently brought up to me that it's an even worse idea to drive that tire in Illinois because of all the potholes(especially on my way to school), while others say to just watch it for bubbling or loss in pressure... decisions decisions, I don't want to spend $200 if I don't need to, but I also don't want to wait until it's too late

orange260z
03-18-2017, 06:46 AM
I'd check with a tire shop - depending on how much of a "rim protector" there is (hard to tell from the pic) it could be just cosmetic, or there could be a risk. I have a chunk torn and hanging like yours on one of my Michelin PS2s (previous owner of the tire), but it's just the rim protector and I superglued it back. Of course, it had to be a rear tire - a replacement 305/30R19 is over $500 here in Canada.